NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 11-08-2019, 06:43 AM
J0hn Collin$

Default '93 SP Jeter

What is the current advice on this card holding it's value? At this point I don't suspect it will suddenly not become "the" Jeter rookie, and the guy is going to be a Hall of Famer in less than a year. My LCS has one for $250 that would probably grade around a 6 or a 7 and I'm wondering if it may be worth picking up.

Thanks for any help, again I'm a 95% vintage guy.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:05 AM
St@n Go.len

Raw? Make sure it wasn't previously graded before and came back short. Alot of these are cut short from the factory.

But I don't see his prices going down. Like Trout I keep waiting for it but in the end I just sucked it up and bought.

Like you said its THE Jeter to get

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2019, 09:13 AM

^^what he said.

If you're hell-bent on getting one now and have the budget I'd highly recommend buying one already graded. This card has a reputation for a reason!

If your budget is right around 250-300 you may want to consider a PSA 10 Topps rookie. Quickly becoming a classic.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:12 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hxcmilkshake View Post
Raw? Make sure it wasn't previously graded before and came back short. Alot of these are cut short from the factory.

But I don't see his prices going down. Like Trout I keep waiting for it but in the end I just sucked it up and bought.

Like you said its THE Jeter to get

I bought it. I measured carefully with several other cards before I did, and it's not short.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:16 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillBBC View Post
^^what he said.

If you're hell-bent on getting one now and have the budget I'd highly recommend buying one already graded. This card has a reputation for a reason!

If your budget is right around 250-300 you may want to consider a PSA 10 Topps rookie. Quickly becoming a classic.
Thanks - good idea, but for the moment I'm concerned with the SP.

I may buy a graded one as well, just not sure how the extent of surface damage works on these. For example I saw some 7's and 7.5's online that had scratches I was surprised were allowed for a 7. But the more of these I looked at, virtually all of them are that way. (I'm not going for a 9 or anything like that).

I have a feeling this may wind up being the equivalent of the '86 Fleer Jordan for 90's baseball cards - and want to grab one that's decently priced now just to sock away before it's too late.

Last edited by jchcollins; 11-08-2019 at 10:16 AM.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:15 AM
J0hn Collin$

Default '93 SP Jeter

This is the raw one I just bought. My guess is that it would grade anywhere from a 6 to a 7, but of course with TPG’s these days...who knows. It looks good to me, but there is some of the usual surface wear on the foil, and it is not an 8 or above card or anything like that.

Sorry, it’s difficult as hell to get a decent picture with both the foil on this card and the case, but here are a few attempts:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by jchcollins; 11-08-2019 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:50 PM
Jay Cee

I think a card with a lot of upside are his Little Sun items.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5704.jpg (70.0 KB, 191 views)
Old 11-08-2019, 01:49 PM
St@n Go.len

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
This is the raw one I just bought. My guess is that it would grade anywhere from a 6 to a 7, but of course with TPG’s these days...who knows. It looks good to me, but there is some of the usual surface wear on the foil, and it is not an 8 or above card or anything like that.

Sorry, it’s difficult as hell to get a decent picture with both the foil on this card and the case, but here are a few attempts:

Nice purchase congrats

Old 11-09-2019, 07:28 AM
J0hn Collin$

So. The more I look at this card, I'm wondering if it is a factory short cut. The SP Jeter's are notorious for them. The top of his cap on the back is slightly cut off, and depending on which time I measure - I sometimes think it's somewhere between 1/32 and 1/16 short. Other times I compare it to another card and think it's fine.

Thoughts? BGS and SGC have traditionally had a little more leeway for factory miscuts than PSA.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:11 PM
St@n Go.len

Yes its short. You can see the full NY on my PSA 5

Old 11-09-2019, 06:44 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
So. The more I look at this card, I'm wondering if it is a factory short cut. The SP Jeter's are notorious for them. The top of his cap on the back is slightly cut off, and depending on which time I measure - I sometimes think it's somewhere between 1/32 and 1/16 short. Other times I compare it to another card and think it's fine.

Thoughts? BGS and SGC have traditionally had a little more leeway for factory miscuts than PSA.
There is currently a pile of these for sale on ebay. Some are short and some aren't but most are graded.
Not sure I seen any quite as short as yours but I only checked the first and part of the second page.
https://www.ebay.com/b/1993-Derek-Je...13/bn_57333983

Last edited by irv; 11-09-2019 at 06:45 PM.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:55 AM
J0hn Collin$

Default '93 SP Jeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hxcmilkshake View Post
Yes its short. You can see the full NY on my PSA 5

I’m not sure that alone means it’s short though; could also just be indicative of a centering issue. If you look at Jeter’s feet and his name on the front of my card, they are slightly high in comparison to others.

Last edited by jchcollins; 11-10-2019 at 06:55 AM.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:40 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I’m not sure that alone means it’s short though; could also just be indicative of a centering issue. If you look at Jeter’s feet and his name on the front of my card, they are slightly high in comparison to others.

Lots of room under his shoe, more than usual. It's a centering issue. A raw nice but not mint Jeter sitting in a local store trimmed? Let's not get too paranoid.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:08 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Lots of room under his shoe, more than usual. It's a centering issue. A raw nice but not mint Jeter sitting in a local store trimmed? Let's not get too paranoid.

Thanks Peter. I think you’re right. I’ve measured it about a dozen times in the last two days, and if it is short, it’s microscopically short. At any rate, I have an SGC 7 on the way that should be here early next week which I will be able to compare it to. I think it’s a centering issue as well… Ironically it makes Jeter on the front of the card be a tad bit better proportioned? These damn modern cards, I really should stick to vintage.

Old 11-10-2019, 02:29 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Thanks Peter. I think you’re right. I’ve measured it about a dozen times in the last two days, and if it is short, it’s microscopically short. At any rate, I have an SGC 7 on the way that should be here early next week which I will be able to compare it to. I think it’s a centering issue as well… Ironically it makes Jeter on the front of the card be a tad bit better proportioned? These damn modern cards, I really should stick to vintage.

Stop obsessing about it lol.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 11-10-2019 at 02:30 PM.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:39 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Stop obsessing about it lol.

Unfortunately that’s my specialty - usually with vintage.

Old 11-10-2019, 03:25 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Unfortunately that’s my specialty - usually with vintage.

Measuring it again is not going to change the result, the card is stable, I assure you.

Old 11-10-2019, 03:46 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Measuring it again is not going to change the result, the card is stable, I assure you.

This much I will agree is true, LOL.