NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 03-26-2021, 10:11 AM
J0hn Collin$

Default My SGC bump...

I bought this card off eBay last April when looking for an EX-ish range version because I thought it looked high end for the grade:

When I got it in hand, I was like huh? I must be missing something. I would have pegged at least one corner a 9, and the others 8's. Surface is bright and bold, and virtually flawless in terms of the print spots that normally plague this card. No creases or wrinkles anywhere. The back was bold blue with very little wear to the corners evident even with the full bleed back border. Only possible issue was a light scratch over the top of the upper righthand corner. You can't even see it in this pic I don't believe. I had cracked the card not long after I got it looking for what else could possibly be wrong with it, and found nothing to speak of.

Anywho, long story short - I finally got around to resubbing it earlier this month, and below is the result. Very happy with this obviously, as I never would have spent the extra $ that this card is now worth, even last year. Just goes to show that all grading is subjective, and they do miss sometimes. Also, even with SGC's new pricing structure, a 7 business day turn time isn't bad at all:

Last edited by jchcollins; 03-26-2021 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-26-2021, 10:33 AM
J0hn Collin$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2021, 10:51 AM
Robert D!ll!ngham

That's a great looking card and congrats on the bump.

Just goes to show you what a farce the grading game is. Until the human element is removed, and a card gets the same grade every time it is submitted, the entire system will continue to be rampant with fraud and corruption.

Edited to add: I hope I didn't come across as accusing you of fraud and/or corruption. That wasn't the intent. It's a great card. It just blows my mind that the same card can be sent to the "professionals" and vary nearly two whole grades. One of these days, somebody will introduce 100% computer grading that eliminates the human element.

Last edited by rsdill2; 03-26-2021 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-26-2021, 12:28 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdill2 View Post
That's a great looking card and congrats on the bump.

Just goes to show you what a farce the grading game is. Until the human element is removed, and a card gets the same grade every time it is submitted, the entire system will continue to be rampant with fraud and corruption.

Edited to add: I hope I didn't come across as accusing you of fraud and/or corruption. That wasn't the intent. It's a great card. It just blows my mind that the same card can be sent to the "professionals" and vary nearly two whole grades. One of these days, somebody will introduce 100% computer grading that eliminates the human element.
No, I know what you meant. I would agree with you it's a game. I'm not sure all grading is a farce, but beyond a certain point - all companies that use humans to eyeball cardboard (all right now besides ostensibly the newcomer HGA...) are doing no more than what veteran collectors can do. They have guidelines, but sooner or later they miss stuff. I don't fault them for it, necessarily. But yeah, it's a game. Even if I'm totally content with the way my card looks, I get some type of odd extra utility from knowing that a 3rd party grading company has validated my thoughts on the card. I've totally fallen for it too. Why is that?
Old 03-26-2021, 02:46 PM
Andrew

Quote:
Even if I'm totally content with the way my card looks, I get some type of odd extra utility from knowing that a 3rd party grading company has validated my thoughts on the card. I've totally fallen for it too. Why is that?
Might it have something to do with the fact that your card magically about tripled in value? Just shows how absurd the whole thing is.
Old 03-26-2021, 03:12 PM
David M.

I agree with the sentiments on computer grading. I would like the system to operate without favoritism or bias. It will be great when no matter who submits a card, it's going to get the same grade. I might actually be able to get a card I submit to grade as a 10 without being a top ten submitter.
Old 03-26-2021, 03:30 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Coming soon, MGC - Mordor Grading Company (They applied for "Sauron Grading Company," but realized it would've been a conflict) with their all-seeing grading eye...

sauron.jpg

(Oh, nice card!!!)

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 03-26-2021 at 03:30 PM.
Old 03-26-2021, 04:19 PM
Eric Cheng

did you crack and resubmit or review?
Old 03-26-2021, 11:03 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

That is crazy...wow. Either way, SUPER nice card. Good eye. I constantly see graded cards where I can't believe they have the grade...both ways. Just goes to show...

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 03-27-2021, 03:36 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Congrats. Card looks great.
Old 03-27-2021, 04:48 PM
D@le Irv*n

I don't want to say the members name in case I get it wrong, but he had a PSA 2 receive a bump to a 6, and maybe even one grade higher, IIRC?
Old 03-27-2021, 06:22 PM
+0m J()rd@N

1. Different companies have different rules for grading
2. The rules change over time (pinholes, 'the card would never get that grade today', etc)
3. Even with the same rules, different graders will apply them differently.
4. Even with the same rules and the same grader, the same card may get a different grade when submitted at different times.
5. There are an infinite number and severity of flaws that have to be evaluated for a given grade.
6. There is a financial incentive for a grading company to encourage collectors to re-submit cards hoping for a bump. What if a company had enough confidence in issuing a grade that they would not regrade a card?
7. And finally, don't forget the conspiracy theory that a grade may, just may, be dependent on the name of the person/company that submits it.

Does anyone really expect consistency out of a process like this?

By the way, that is a very nice Mantle. His last, really classic card. Congratulations on a great acquisition.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)

Last edited by Bigdaddy; 03-27-2021 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-27-2021, 08:12 PM
Christopher
Chr.is Gl@sby

Awesome bump 👏 I’m actually zero for like 10+ with bumps. Cracking out has been the only way that worked for me. One time I cracked a psa 4 Namath RC and accidentally dented the card, it came back a 6. Without the dent it could have gotten a 8 or better I swear.
Old 03-28-2021, 07:52 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by dio View Post
did you crack and resubmit or review?

Crack and resub.

Old 03-28-2021, 09:29 PM
Eric Cheng

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Crack and resub.

Nice, i would say 6.5 is the correct grade
Old 03-29-2021, 07:33 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I bought a beautiful PSA 2 1954 Sal Maglie, cracked it out, send it in, got a 7. It makes no sense...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 03-29-2021, 08:07 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I bought a beautiful PSA 2 1954 Sal Maglie, cracked it out, send it in, got a 7. It makes no sense...
It doesn't. My bump at this point was all for naught, as SGC upon closer examination sent that card back in a slab with a defective gasket that had pieces of plastic shard sticking out near the corners. I cracked it again this weekend. I have no plans to sell, so as long as the card is unscathed it's fine - but just a huge disappointing experience all the way around with SGC - especially after I got that grade. I gave them hell on Friday and they were mildly apologetic, but did not offer to refund my grading fees. They just lost my business for a good long while, if not forever.

Last edited by jchcollins; 03-29-2021 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:28 AM
Andrew

The TPG giveth, and the TPG taketh away.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:30 AM
J0hn Collin$

Default My SGC bump...

Slab gasket crap:

Last edited by jchcollins; 03-29-2021 at 09:30 AM.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:55 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Slab gasket crap:

Sadly that is very common in SGC gaskets, have owned several like that.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:14 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Sadly that is very common in SGC gaskets, have owned several like that.
Yep. I knew about it as well, but had filed it away in my subconscious when submitting this time. I kind of felt like that Mantle was too good to be true, and I was right. Closer inspection over the weekend led me to cracking a few more of their slabs with similar problems, including a Ryan RC and fairly nice '64 Aaron.

At the end of the day these are PC cards, and I'd rather sleep soundly knowing they are not in those slabs. Sending them back for SCG to address the problem was probably an option I suppose, but I'm just way over it at this point. The thought of putting these cards back in the mail and paying $30 or whatever to insure them for shipping back to FL just made me want to vomit.

Last edited by jchcollins; 03-29-2021 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:59 AM
Steve Birmingham

Are the gaskets plastic? The only one I've had apart came with the card it used to hold. (Interesting packing/shipping strategy) And it was thin paper maybe barely thick enough to call cardstock.

Either way they need to have those gaps in the diecut die closed up.
Old 03-29-2021, 11:14 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Are the gaskets plastic? The only one I've had apart came with the card it used to hold. (Interesting packing/shipping strategy) And it was thin paper maybe barely thick enough to call cardstock.

Either way they need to have those gaps in the diecut die closed up.
They are plastic and .02" thick, so a little thicker than most cards.
Old 03-29-2021, 11:27 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
They are plastic and .02" thick, so a little thicker than most cards.
The newer ones at least are plastic. In the early 2000's it was like the gasket was made out of a different material, but I'm not sure exactly what it was. But softer, more like black cardboard, maybe. Those at least as I remember seemed to have a lot fewer issues with being cut improperly.

Last edited by jchcollins; 03-29-2021 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-29-2021, 12:22 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Great Card !!!!!
Old 03-29-2021, 12:32 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Who knows. One person may see something as more factory/production related vs actual damage. A lot is so subjective. In any case, nice card!
Old 03-29-2021, 01:41 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Man...that sucks. Even though I am not a "graded" card guy, I do enjoy a few things in slabs. I am almost done with a complete run of Harmon Killebrew and Hank Aaron in SGC, and I've kept my Rose Rookie in an SGC slab as there are just too many reprints. That said, last week I sent in my first ever (and most likely last) sub to SGC...just a couple of 1956 cards (2 Killebrews/1 Aaron) for my runs. Assuming they will run into the 2 to 3 range, don't care. Hope I didn't waste 100 bucks, if I see what happened to you I won't hesitate to crack away.

As mentioned earlier...that card is a beauty and regardless of the slab, anyone would be proud to own that...

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 03-29-2021, 01:49 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harliduck View Post
Man...that sucks. Even though I am not a "graded" card guy, I do enjoy a few things in slabs. I am almost done with a complete run of Harmon Killebrew and Hank Aaron in SGC, and I've kept my Rose Rookie in an SGC slab as there are just too many reprints. That said, last week I sent in my first ever (and most likely last) sub to SGC...just a couple of 1956 cards (2 Killebrews/1 Aaron) for my runs. Assuming they will run into the 2 to 3 range, don't care. Hope I didn't waste 100 bucks, if I see what happened to you I won't hesitate to crack away.

As mentioned earlier...that card is a beauty and regardless of the slab, anyone would be proud to own that...
Thanks. It's now in a One Touch and Superior Fit sleeve and still looks pretty bad @ss.