NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-14-2013, 11:32 PM
Mike Mattsey

Default Your World Champion Chicago Cubs

Over the last several years I've cobbled together a collection of players who featured for the 1908 World Series champion Chicago Cubs. Most of the cards are from the T206 series, but some others who didn't appear in that set are from other offerings. As you'll soon see, condition means very little to me. I'm still one player short of having everyone on the team who had a card available (Bill Mack and Karl Spongberg never had a card issued AFAIK). Anyone got a poor grade Andy Coakley T204?

Note that I suck with a scanner, and cut off an edge or two on most every card...

Here are the remainder of the team in all their glory:

THE REGULARS

Catcher: Johnny "Noisy" Kling

Mordecai Brown, along with other Cubs pitchers of the era, said Kling was by far the best catcher of his day at calling a game. Left the Cubs for a season in 1909 to open a pool room in Kansas City and won the World Championship in that sport as well.

First Base/Manager: Frank "Husk" Chance

After Kling had bumped him years before from behind the plate, this HOFer manned first base for the Cubs in addition to piloting them to two World Series crowns.

Second Base: John "The Crab" Evers

Weighing in at a mere 145 lbs., Evers was small even for the era. Even so, he led the '08 champs in batting average and OBP.

Shortstop: Joe Tinker

The final member of the legendary double play combo, Tinker's bat was the main power source for the Cubs. He led the team in triples, homers, RBIs and SLG. He delivered a big hit off of Christy Mathewson in the '08 playoff game at the Polo Grounds. Mathewson wrote often that Tinker was the hitter he could never consistently get out.

Third Base: Harry Steinfeldt

The answer to the trivia question, "Who was the other guy besides Tinker, Evers & Chance in the infield?" Hard living Harry was on the downside of his long career, and he passed away in 1911 at the age of 33.

Outfielders: Jimmy Sheckard, Jimmy "Rabbit" Slagle & Frank "Wildfire" Schulte

Not a lot of hitting going on with the Cubs primary flycatchers. Schulte's .236 BA led the trio, and they combined for a mere three roundtrippers for the year.

THE RESERVES

Outfielder: Arthur "Circus Solly" Hofman

Hofman patrolled the outfield frequently, appearing in 120 games and getting 478 ABs. He also spelled Evers and Chance when they were out of the lineup. Hofman is the man who noticed Fred Merkle didn't touch second base, which is an event of some note to Cubs fans...

Utility: Del Howard

Del appeared in nearly 100 games for the '08 Cubs, hitting .279 as Steinfeldt's backup and a utility outfielder.

Catcher: Pat Moran

Moran's 14 year ML career is highlighted by his two World Series titles as a member of the '07/'08 Northsiders (West Siders?). Moran was Kling's primary backup at catcher.

Second Baseman: Henry "Heinie" Zimmerman

Zimmerman was a young prospect on this club, but not for much longer. After Steinfeldt left the Cubs, Zimmerman became the regular man at the hot corner. In 1912, he led the Senior Circuit in home runs with 14 and batting average with a .372 mark.

Outfielder: Jack Hayden

Hayden came to the Cubs from Indianapolis late in the season, but featured in several important games down the stretch. He was a valuable enough man to stick in any game, as evidenced by his inclusion as starting center fielder in the Merkle game. 1908 was the last of his three seasons in the big leagues.

Utility: William "Doc" Marshall

Bought from the Cardinals in May of '08, Marshall was one of the last guys off the bench. Though he appeared in only 20 games for the Cubs, that was enough to get him a piece of the title.

Outfielder: Blaine "Kid" Durbin

A failed pitching prospect, Durbin showed enough with the bat in '07 to be a benchwarmer on the '08 side as well. Durbin played three major league seasons, and played for three World Series winners. ('07/'08 Cubs, '09 Pirates)

Last edited by mattsey9; 09-14-2013 at 11:36 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:33 PM
Mike Mattsey

Pinch Hitter: Arthur "Vin" Campbell

One at bat in one game for the '08 champions. Finished his career as a lifetime .310 hitter over six major league seasons.

THE PITCHERS

Mordecai "Three Finger" "Miner" Brown

We all know the story of Brown's missing digits. Brown was the winning pitcher in the '08 replay against the Giants to win the pennant. The man from Nyesville, Indiana was the best pitcher on some of the best teams in the history of the National League. Nuf ced.

A little poetry from William James Lampton:

Gloom gathers above us,
There's murk in the air,
There's no one to shove us
Along to get where
The crown of the victor
Will rest on this town,
For the Giants see nothing
But Mordecai Brown,
Mordecai, Mordecai
Three-fingered Brown.

Fans wail on the bleechers,
Fans weep in the stands,
Fans cry with the screechers,
For any way, every way,
Far up and down.
There's nothing that greets them
But Mordecai, Mordecai
Three-fingered Brown

Baseball is no longer
The game of a club
Which had it been stronger,
Might wallop the dub
That hails from the windy
And comes to this town
To razzle the Giants
With Mordecai Brown.
Mordecai, Mordecai,
Threee-Fingered Brown.

The murky clouds thicken,
The end cometh on
When nothing can quicken
The hope that is gone;
Manhatten is busted,
The pennant is down,
And the Giants are walloped
By Mordecai Brown.
Mordecai, Mordecai,
Three-fingered Brown.

"Big" Ed Reulbach

The Pippen to Brown's Jordan, Reulbach's 24-7 mark was only good for second best on this team. Pitched in four World Series for the Cubs.

Jack "The Giant Killer" Pfeister

When your biggest rival is the Giants, a man nicknamed "The Giant Killer" is a good man to have around. Former 20 game winner for the Cubs in 1906.

Orval Overall

The Cub flamethrower slumped in 1908, winning only 15 games versus 23 in 1907. When the Series rolled around, however, Overall was in form. He had two complete game wins against the Tigers in the '08 Fall Classic to go along with the one he picked up in 1907.

Charles "Chick" Fraser

Fraser battled wildness for most of his fourteen seasons in the big leagues, but for the Cubs in '07 and '08 he sported a 2.25 ERA. Not too bad for the fifth starter and long man out of the pen.

Carl Lundgren

Lundgren was finishing out an eight year career in the major leagues, but as a swingman he did eat up some innings for the Cubs. His 2.42 lifetime ERA shows he was no slouch in his prime.

Floyd "Rube" Kroh

Kroh spent parts of six seasons in the majors, appearing in two games for the 1908 champs. A 9-4 mark as a spot starter in 1909 highlighted his best season in baseball.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:53 PM
Sean Costello

Excellent assemblage of Cubs Mike.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:29 AM
Tim Newcomb

Default nice writeups, Mike!

I think a bunch of us should do this with our favorite teams--
Old 09-15-2013, 10:38 AM
Don

Great post, love it!

I'm getting ready to read Crazy '08 again, which is probably my favorite sports book.

As I'm contemplating starting another card collection, I'm considering a T206 Cubs set, but just the 13 "cubs" variations to make it more interesting.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:10 AM
John Hanssen

Very nicely done!!!
Old 09-15-2013, 11:16 AM
Jack Vernon

Very nice Mike

I've done something similar with the 1948 Indians and it's definitely a fun set to toss together...now if I can only find the 1947 Tip Top Wensloff

Last edited by Seiklis; 09-15-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:29 PM
Rob

Default Cubs Champions

Cool Cubs thread. Here are 2 more Cubs cards..

Old 09-15-2013, 01:42 PM

I put together the 1887 Pittsburgh Alleghenys team set awhile ago. All the players are in the Old Judge set except outfielder Ed Beecher. Had to get a Buchner card for him.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 09-15-2013, 02:50 PM
Peter F

Love it. Thanks for posting Mike. Reading about the players in my SABR books is good but getting a succinct profile with their card is a great help in retaining who these players were and to appreciate them more.

Thanks again for posting.

Peter
Old 09-15-2013, 04:48 PM
Mike Mattsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by timn1 View Post
I think a bunch of us should do this with our favorite teams--
I'd love to see it. The '48 Indians and '87 Alleghenies have been mentioned. Show 'em!
Old 09-15-2013, 04:53 PM
Bill Gregory

Nice collection, Mike.

I'd love to see the Cubs win it all in my lifetime. You won't find a more loyal bunch of fans anywhere (except maybe Packer fans ), and you guys deserve to see a parade on Michigan Avenue.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsey9 View Post
I'd love to see it. The '48 Indians and '87 Alleghenies have been mentioned. Show 'em!
I showed nine of them the other day here:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showpos...13&postcount=6

Don't have the others scanned unfortunately. Might have the Beecher somewhere, I'll see if I can find it
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 09-21-2013, 09:07 AM
Don

Just finished Crazy '08 again yesterday. Cait's irreverent prose is what makes it such a great book. Quoth the Turkey.

Now I really want to get some of the Cubs cards, or maybe the players involved in the Merkle game, Giants as well.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:50 PM
Mike Mattsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post
Just finished Crazy '08 again yesterday. Cait's irreverent prose is what makes it such a great book. Quoth the Turkey.

Now I really want to get some of the Cubs cards, or maybe the players involved in the Merkle game, Giants as well.
I'm one card away from having both lineups complete!
Old 09-21-2013, 03:51 PM
Mike Mattsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
I showed nine of them the other day here:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showpos...13&postcount=6

Don't have the others scanned unfortunately. Might have the Beecher somewhere, I'll see if I can find it
Nice cards!
Old 09-21-2013, 04:31 PM
Max Weder

Not cards, but

Old 09-21-2013, 04:34 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballart View Post
Not cards, but

So is this the story of the 1907 Cubs championship?
Old 09-21-2013, 06:43 PM
Mike Mattsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
So is this the story of the 1907 Cubs championship?
Great piece. How long is the story? You wouldn't have scans of the pages by any chance, would you?
Old 09-28-2013, 05:18 AM
Mike Ryan

As per the Sports Encyclopedia(Baseball 9th Edition, Neft & Cohen) only 13 Cub players participated in the 1908 World Series. The 12 scanned and Del Howard who appeared only once as a pinch hitter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CUBS 1908 001.jpg (78.5 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg CUBS 1908 003.jpg (79.4 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg CUBS 1908 004.jpg (78.4 KB, 73 views)
Old 09-28-2013, 05:45 AM

Very nice.

It's a shame you have to use 100+ year old cards to see pictures of World Series winners.....

If you were a Cardinal fan (like me) you could use shiny cards or have many other options and years to choose from.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:23 AM
Mike Mattsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover View Post
As per the Sports Encyclopedia(Baseball 9th Edition, Neft & Cohen) only 13 Cub players participated in the 1908 World Series. The 12 scanned and Del Howard who appeared only once as a pinch hitter.
Great cards!