NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 09-20-2022, 02:35 PM

Default 1958 Kahn's

Ive had this for quite a while and was wondering if anyone had an idea on the value? There are only 2 Wally Post graded in the PSA pop report and this copy in the SGC pop report. Its a short print but how many are out there if there are only 3 graded up to this point? I have not seen one pop up for sale and cannot find any completed sales . I would think the value would be in completing the set which may be deemed near impossible . Thanks for looking!

Wally Post Kahn's SP by Lucky Larrys, on Flickr
Old 09-20-2022, 03:10 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

I've always been a big fan of their marketing tagline. For some reason it always makes me chortle:

The weiner the world awaited...

Maybe it's just the alliteration with a side of tongue twister that gets me.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 09-20-2022, 08:00 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Tough question

The 1958 Kahn's in my experience are far and away the toughest of the Kahn's issues (excepting the Frank Robinson which for some reason seems to be more available). In fact the Clemente is a "grail" card (only a single example has sold publicly in 30 years I have been watching). There are actually 4 of the Post card in the PSA pop report + yours in the SGC report. I'm going to offer an educated opinion/extrapolation of a wide range in terms of value. That is $150-$350. The thing holding it back from being significantly more valuable in my opinion is the set and therefore any of the non-stars in it are relatively low demand - there are only 3 sets listed in the PSA set registry - the #1 set has a Post, The number 2 set is at 33% completion and the #3 set is under 10%. I am going to surmise that the #3 set for sure and possibly the #2 set are not being proactively "worked on".

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 09-21-2022, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
The 1958 Kahn's in my experience are far and away the toughest of the Kahn's issues (excepting the Frank Robinson which for some reason seems to be more available). In fact the Clemente is a "grail" card (only a single example has sold publicly in 30 years I have been watching). There are actually 4 of the Post card in the PSA pop report + yours in the SGC report. I'm going to offer an educated opinion/extrapolation of a wide range in terms of value. That is $150-$350. The thing holding it back from being significantly more valuable in my opinion is the set and therefore any of the non-stars in it are relatively low demand - there are only 3 sets listed in the PSA set registry - the #1 set has a Post, The number 2 set is at 33% completion and the #3 set is under 10%. I am going to surmise that the #3 set for sure and possibly the #2 set are not being proactively "worked on".
Great information and insight, sincerely appreciate your take.
Old 09-21-2022, 07:37 PM
Bob F.

Quote:
…. and possibly the #2 set are not being proactively "worked on".

Guess again. I’ll pay three or four times “book” for any ‘58 Kahn’s card that I don’t currently have.
Old 09-22-2022, 04:34 PM
J@son Per1

Quote:
Amazing knowledge Howard, as usual sir.
Old 09-23-2022, 07:00 PM
Howard Chasser

Default That's why I qualified with possibly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsbbcards View Post
Guess again. I’ll pay three or four times “book” for any ‘58 Kahn’s card that I don’t currently have.
Hi Bob! I saw it was your set and just didn't know how actively you were or weren't working on it. What "book" are you using - as far as I'm aware there hasn't been a published "book" on these in a while and book or no book, no historic sales to even use as a starting point.

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 09-23-2022, 07:38 PM
Bob F.

That’s why I put “book” in quotes. It’s definitely a word that has little meaning nowadays. I’d love to buy the ones I don’t have for silly amounts (that might have been more accurate).
Old 04-30-2023, 08:09 PM
Joe D

I knew this would be the place to come for knowledgeable collectors. I live south of Pittsburgh and one of my contractors (a painter in his 70's) knew that I collect cards and tried to give me a pile of 57 and 58 Kahn's baseball (All Pirates and Reds, No Clemente) (most not in great shape but some look decent) with a few basketball. I knew they had to have some value so I gave him some money that he was reluctant to take. They have been sitting in one of my boxes ever since. Now that fees are getting more reasonable and as a fan of the hometown team I'd like to send some in with my next sub, even if they get 1-5's, they will look cool on display in the office. They seem to fall between regular and supersized. Does anyone know which level they must be subbed? Thanks for your time and info.

Joe

Last edited by iceman15658; 04-30-2023 at 08:10 PM.
Old 04-30-2023, 09:00 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman15658 View Post
They seem to fall between regular and supersized. Does anyone know which level they must be subbed? Thanks for your time and info.

Joe
Which grader are you submitting to?

Often with graders like PSA, you might not need to indicate a specific size, unless it’s like a T3 or a jumbo. Unless I’m off my rocker, I think this issue fits into the tall boy PSA holders.

1963 Post complete panel
Old 04-30-2023, 09:32 PM
Joe D

Thank you for the reply. I appreciate it. Yes, it would be PSA. Should have mentioned that lol. What I get for always lurking and never posting. Good thinking, I think they will fit. Just trying to avoid getting hammered with a surprise $75 per charge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Card Comp.jpg (193.6 KB, 110 views)
Old 05-01-2023, 09:18 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman15658 View Post
Thank you for the reply. I appreciate it. Yes, it would be PSA. Should have mentioned that lol. What I get for always lurking and never posting. Good thinking, I think they will fit. Just trying to avoid getting hammered with a surprise $75 per charge.
You should be fine. The $75 jumbo fee is only for gigantic stuff like 8x10”

1963 Post complete panel
Old 05-01-2023, 09:30 PM
Joe D

Awesome! Thank you very much, Appreciate the help. Happy collecting
Old 05-01-2023, 09:44 PM

How do the scarcity of the baseball Kahn's photos compare to the scarcity of basketball Kahn's photos.

MOST WANTED UPSHALL CARDS
2003-04 Parkhurst Rookies "Road to the NHL" Emblem
2002-03 SPX multi colored rookie
https://5eeec33e368c8.site123.me/
Old Today, 11:10 AM

I wanted to resurrect this older thread, as I just acquired a small bunch of 57 and 58 Kahn's. Upon researching the cards, I have come to the conclusion that the 58 Wally Post is pretty rare and there was one included in the lot I bought, picture attached. Of course it is pretty bad shape but I'm ok with that.

Anyone have any updated information on this card? I can't find any sales, etc. Much appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1862.jpg (193.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1863.jpg (194.8 KB, 11 views)