NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 02-21-2021, 08:58 PM
Tyler

Default Slab/Authentication of multiple signatures on paper

Looking to Net54 for opinions as I’m somewhat torn on what to do. A little out of my element, as I typically collect much more modern cards. I’ve got a small autograph book, that has multiple signatures on it. 6-10 signatures on a small page that is maybe 5x7. I have no worries about the authenticity as this was my grandfathers book, that has been in my family for almost 80 years. After cleaning out my grandmothers house, it was recently “re-discovered”
and I took possession of it. I’m looking for preservation, while also wouldn’t mind it being authenticated by a reputable company. Although there are many autographs in the book, there are two pages that I would like to tear out of the book, and get encapsulated individually. (PSA?). Is it a bad idea to remove these two pages? From a value standpoint? Would PSA authenticate it as one piece? Or will they charge me for each individual signature? (Approx 6-10 signatures on each page)Any other recommendations? I obviously don’t want to encapsulate the entire book, but these two pages I think would serve well in a slab. Recommendations? Suggestions?

I apologize, as this should have been posted in the autographs forum. (Maybe Admin can move it?) thanks

Last edited by Filthy; 02-21-2021 at 09:09 PM.
Old 02-21-2021, 09:20 PM
Tim Odeen

Individual autos always bring more money than a group, so you would be increasing value by removing from auto book. The only thing you would ruin with the book is your sentimental attachment to it. Unless of course it is a special limited edition book, but I'm assuming you mean it's made up of blank pages to collect autos. Further, when you submit a group signed page, you generally pay for certain signatures. For example, I submitted a Phil Athletics album page that included Connie Mack. There was no other major auto. So I only paid to authenticate him. If there had been other more important signatures, I could have paid for those to be authenticated also.

However, I don't know how authentication of a team signed ball.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo

Last edited by todeen; 02-21-2021 at 09:51 PM.
Old 02-21-2021, 09:24 PM
Doug Goodman

Don't do it!
Old 02-21-2021, 09:54 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
Don't do it!
I guess you also asked for recommendations. I generally leave items in their original state, if I can.

Is this an auto book that can be untied, in order to remove pages? Or do you need to cut out the pages you want to submit?

Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 02-22-2021, 06:33 AM
Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
Individual autos always bring more money than a group, so you would be increasing value by removing from auto book.
That’s the thing, they aren’t individual signatures. There are several signatures on each page. (I do believe they are all from the same team.) So I would want to encapsulate the entire page, as obviously Im not going to cut out individual signatures. There are other signatures throughout the book, so the other pages aren’t all blank. But this was my grandfathers, and there seems to also be signatures of friends of his from high school, and possibly some local personalities. So although authentic.....the only thing I have identified as valuable are the two pages I want to get encapsulated.

Quote:
Further, when you submit a group signed page, you generally pay for certain signatures. For example, I submitted a Phil Athletics album page that included Connie Mack. There was no other major auto. So I only paid to authenticate him. If there had been other more important signatures, I could have paid for those to be authenticated also.
Thank you, as this is also what I am trying to research. There are a few names that I recognize, so I would assume I would pay for those names, but the rest I’m not sure. They are not recognize able to me, but in the grand scheme of things, possibly they are rare? Is there a list of names, or is that something I would have to get in contact with PSA for?

Quote:
I guess you also asked for recommendations. I generally leave items in their original state, if I can.

Is this an auto book that can be untied, in order to remove pages? Or do you need to cut out the pages you want to submit?
Thanks. This book is of the small spiral variety. So I would have to cut out the two pages being discussed.

Last edited by Filthy; 02-22-2021 at 06:38 AM.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:07 AM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy View Post
So although authentic.....the only thing I have identified as valuable are the two pages I want to get encapsulated.

There are a few names that I recognize, so I would assume I would pay for those names, but the rest I’m not sure. They are not recognize able to me, but in the grand scheme of things, possibly they are rare? Is there a list of names, or is that something I would have to get in contact with the TPA?
If they really are team signed pages mixed with high school friends, I would probably change my mind and remove the pages.

Yes, the PSA/DNA website, or JSA website, has a list of names including prices to authenticate.

Take a picture of each page you want to authenticate, and create a new thread under the Autos genre, and title it "who are these signatures?" You will be shocked at the level of knowledge on this board, as other members will help you identify signatures. Some members on this site might even tell you if they are authentic.

That might change your mind whether you need to pay for authentication and encapsulation. Doug Goodman, the other member who commented hates the idea of encapsulation and tells people to keep objects free. I suppose if you want to eventually sell them it might be worth it. But if you are wanting to keep them, then placing them in a top loader might be a better answer. You can also pay for authentication without encapsulation. That's always what I do, because then I can frame the autos without the burden of that stupid plastic thing. Instead, the TPA will place a sticker on the bottom corner or back of the auto, or give a letter of authentication if you pay for it.

Old 02-22-2021, 07:50 AM
Tyler

Quote:
If they really are team signed pages mixed with high school friends, I would probably change my mind and remove the pages.

Yes, the PSA/DNA website, or JSA website, has a list of names including prices to authenticate.

Take a picture of each page you want to authenticate, and create a new thread under the Autos genre, and title it "who are these signatures?" You will be shocked at the level of knowledge on this board, as other members will help you identify signatures. Some members on this site might even tell you if they are authentic.

Yes, the reasoning for cutting those pages out, was because of the odd mix of signatures. Obviously, when my grandfather was a kid, he probably wasn’t concerned with “monetary” value of signatures, so this was his “autograph” book, and he obtained signatures without worry of what was grouped together etc...

I will snap a few pics and post, as I would like to identify some other signatures. But I am really wanting to encapsulate really only for the preservation aspect. The paper is very old, and thin, and I just figured that it would save better behind plastic. In regards to being authentic, I’m confident that they are all authentic, as these weren’t purchased from a secondary source, but were obtained by my grandfather as a kid during a well documented family vacation.

I just want to ensure I am making the right decision in preservation fromt he experts here on Net54. I would like to possibly give it to my son someday, as a family keepsake. Thanks

Last edited by Filthy; 02-22-2021 at 07:52 AM.
Old 02-22-2021, 01:16 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Perhaps, you might be better served by scanning the pages of the book and post them here. This will give everyone who is offering opinions a more complete idea of what we are talking about.
This question basically comes down yo the choice to preserve history or maximize value. Sometimes you can do both, which is, of ciurse, optimal. Unfortunately that is not always the case.
For myself, i lean toward preseving history. That being said, every case should be judged in its own. Like with most scrapbooks and autograph albums, this book's history is likely most valuable to your family. Whether or not that value is higher than the benefit the money would bring is really a decision only you can make.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 02-22-2021, 03:33 PM

This is a good question and I asked a similar question here a few years ago with an expensive sheet I had that was signed front and back. Most folks on here encouraged me to keep it intact. If I separated the signatures I was going to lose a few signed on the opposite side. The most valuable signatures were Ruth and Lazzeri and they were too close together to separate into nice individual cuts.

I asked about the value of the item as a single piece and as separate signatures and was told that anyone who purchased the piece would likely only be concerned about the Ruth and Lazzeri signatures and would not be concerned about the other autographs. Two of the other important autographs were HOF umpire Bill McGowan, and 1920s Tiger star, Bob "Fats" Fothergill who died in 1938 at the age of 40 and is a very tough autograph to find. These were the only examples of McGowan or Fothergill I own and it seemed unreasonable to let those go "for free" if I sold the sheet and the buyer was only paying for Ruth and Lazzeri. I chose to cut the sheet and keep the autographs. The Ruth/ Lazzeri and Fothergill are now slabbed and McGowan and Goose Goslin will be in my next PSA submission. I also salvaged a few other cuts which wont be sent to PSA, but are notable signatures.

Each group of autographs presents it's own case for keeping intact or separation. Use your best judgement and whatever you decide will be right for you.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:33 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tha-rock View Post
This is a good question and I asked a similar question here a few years ago with an expensive sheet I had that was signed front and back. Most folks on here encouraged me to keep it intact. If I separated the signatures I was going to lose a few signed on the opposite side. The most valuable signatures were Ruth and Lazzeri and they were too close together to separate into nice individual cuts.

I asked about the value of the item as a single piece and as separate signatures and was told that anyone who purchased the piece would likely only be concerned about the Ruth and Lazzeri signatures and would not be concerned about the other autographs. Two of the other important autographs were HOF umpire Bill McGowan, and 1920s Tiger star, Bob "Fats" Fothergill who died in 1938 at the age of 40 and is a very tough autograph to find. These were the only examples of McGowan or Fothergill I own and it seemed unreasonable to let those go "for free" if I sold the sheet and the buyer was only paying for Ruth and Lazzeri. I chose to cut the sheet and keep the autographs. The Ruth/ Lazzeri and Fothergill are now slabbed and McGowan and Goose Goslin will be in my next PSA submission. I also salvaged a few other cuts which wont be sent to PSA, but are notable signatures.

Each group of autographs presents it's own case for keeping intact or separation. Use your best judgement and whatever you decide will be right for you.
Try to find his other post with pictures: two sheets, 1939 NY Yankees with Dimaggio, Gehrig, McCarthy, Gomez, and others. Beautiful! I'd keep them intact and slab the whole sheet. The Gehrig is a winner. Very clean. Just fine to separate from the album in my opinion.