NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 03-18-2021, 10:40 AM
$cott Cl1nt0n

Default Maybe people are buying the card vs. the slab

Just scrolling through the HA auction ending tonight and noticed two ‘52 Mantles both graded 3. The centered PSA 3 is currently going for $100K+ and the poorly centered SGC 3 is less than $30K.

I can appreciate the price discrepancy between PSA vs. SGC and centered vs. off-centered but a 4X difference is pretty substantial.
Old 03-18-2021, 11:48 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arazi4442 View Post
Just scrolling through the HA auction ending tonight and noticed two ‘52 Mantles both graded 3. The centered PSA 3 is currently going for $100K+ and the poorly centered SGC 3 is less than $30K.

I can appreciate the price discrepancy between PSA vs. SGC and centered vs. off-centered but a 4X difference is pretty substantial.
Centering/presentation, among other things, is huge.

Could also be the age of the flips and when each was graded?

I believe it was just last week where a very nice centered 1.5 sold for twice as much, maybe more or slightly less, than a 2.5. Both PSA, IIRC?

I also believe, since there are 2, or maybe more, the most presentable/nicest one will get most of the attention and bids right up until the very end. If the nicest/centered one sells first, then the second one will definitely close the price gap at the very end.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:13 PM
Matt

Correct about the 1.5 outselling the 2.5 by a significant margin on eBay just the other day.

Encouraging to see people buying the card more frequently these days. Anyone shopping for a 311 definitely sees after a while how precious few look like that PSA 3 at Heritage right now. In ten years I’ve still only seen 10 that centered and that includes a ten and a nine.
Old 03-18-2021, 10:25 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Correct about the 1.5 outselling the 2.5 by a significant margin on eBay just the other day.

Encouraging to see people buying the card more frequently these days. Anyone shopping for a 311 definitely sees after a while how precious few look like that PSA 3 at Heritage right now. In ten years I’ve still only seen 10 that centered and that includes a ten and a nine.
By far the nicest looking 3 I ever recall seeing.

Imo, there is no comparison between the 2.
Old 03-18-2021, 10:40 PM
Matt

I agree. Has to be the best looking specimen in the hobby in the 1-3 grade range. In hand or a wall display at a casual distance that 3 will hit the eye with such beauty. Final hammer all in was 162k.
Old 03-19-2021, 05:14 AM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
I agree. Has to be the best looking specimen in the hobby in the 1-3 grade range. In hand or a wall display at a casual distance that 3 will hit the eye with such beauty. Final hammer all in was 162k.
The SGC 3 which had very poor centering went for only $50,400 so quite a difference between them.
Old 03-19-2021, 07:33 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
The SGC 3 which had very poor centering went for only $50,400 so quite a difference between them.
I am not surprised by that disparity at all. Like has been mentioned, that was one heck of a centered PSA 3 Mantle.
Old 03-19-2021, 09:39 AM
Eric Cheng

Price for the psa 3 is NOT only for the centering but overall appeal in other area as well. Try a scratch up faded color bad registration 3 and worn corner psa 3 with perfect centering and you won't get that price. The SGC is very close to MC

Last edited by dio; 03-19-2021 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-23-2021, 01:46 PM
Al Stein

Quote:

Boy, I don't this is the case at all. It is a great market for selling the flip, not as great if you have a really nice card that you want to get 200% VCP for.

If I were selling (which I am not) I would be unloading all my average and below cards now, and saving the better ones for when the market levels off and the nice cards stand out more.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk