NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-21-2021, 08:33 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
Coins have had rampant problems as well, with forgeries from S.E. Asia, fake slabs, lasered enhanced Gold coins and many more for the last two decades.
I think this is just something we have to deal with then in the post modern hobby. The desire for high grade cards, (even if not truly high grade) in macho numbered holders has proven that it's going to win out thus far over grading integrity in all cases. I see little incentive for that to change if a small group of collectors on BO and N54 are basically the only ones concerned about it.

Last edited by jchcollins; 04-21-2021 at 08:34 AM.
Old 04-21-2021, 10:17 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
I'll pose another question simply out of ignorance, but has this type of problem (the alteration fraud being made worse with TPG's complicit...) ever occurred before in professional grading with stamps or coins? I don't know much about them, but the American Philatelic Society has a pretty lofty reputation. In an organization like that, is it simply because collectors / historians have a louder voice than dealers and those purely in it with the main goal of driving prices higher?
The Philatelic foundation had a problem in the early 80's where one of their computer operators took payments to issue certificates for altered stamps that had been rejected by experts as altered, but he changed the opinion to genuine.

The main person doing the altering was brazen enough to have a vanity plate that read "Stamp MD"

A bunch of firings, criminal charges etc followed by a lot of hard work restored peoples confidence in them.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...069-story.html
Old 04-22-2021, 11:21 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
The Philatelic foundation had a problem in the early 80's where one of their computer operators took payments to issue certificates for altered stamps that had been rejected by experts as altered, but he changed the opinion to genuine.

The main person doing the altering was brazen enough to have a vanity plate that read "Stamp MD"

A bunch of firings, criminal charges etc followed by a lot of hard work restored peoples confidence in them.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...069-story.html
You would need a whole bunch of those plates for cards, I guess they could be sequentially numbered after the CardMD.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-22-2021, 11:24 AM
J0hn Collin$

So again: Does anyone realistically believe that this problem is ever going away in the card hobby? I don't. Not as long as collectibles continue to be worth real money. The incentives just don't align.

Last edited by jchcollins; 04-22-2021 at 11:26 AM.
Old 04-22-2021, 10:20 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
So again: Does anyone realistically believe that this problem is ever going away in the card hobby? I don't. Not as long as collectibles continue to be worth real money. The incentives just don't align.
Alteration going away? No, it's been here for decades, and the money is way too much for it to go away.

The authentication/grading companies being either nearly useless or complicit?
That could go away, but it seems like the vast majority of the hobby wants to be lied to and taken advantage of.

A friend collects stamps from among other things a small sort of country. Most of their stamps are other countries stamps overprinted with a new name. (sort of a standard thing) The guy who was THE expert a long time ago turned out to also be the guy making fake over prints that surprise! were expertized as good.
Once it was found out, he was kicked out of all philatelic groups he was in, and If I remember it right charged with fraud.
He expertized other stuff too, and now his expertizing mark* is taken as a sign that a fake is likely what you're looking at.

In Europe, it was standard for the expertizer to stamp their name on the back of the stamp. Sometimes in different positions to indicate real or fake flawed or not. They would also do entire sets essentially for the same price as one stamp. I learned this when I asked my friend about a stamp I'd gotten that was a very nice example, and had an expert mark, but I couldn't figure out why. Catalog value was maybe 50 cents, and the catalog listed no valuable varieties.

Serious legal action, ostracization, and similar measures are all that will curb the amount of nonsense we have going on now.
But the hobby for the most part doesn't have the guts to stick with demanding that, and Law enforcement seldom has the "need" and or support to commit resources to it when there are so many bigger crimes that need attention.
Old 04-23-2021, 06:44 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Alteration going away? No, it's been here for decades, and the money is way too much for it to go away.

That could go away, but it seems like the vast majority of the hobby wants to be lied to and taken advantage of.

A friend collects stamps from among other things a small sort of country. Most of their stamps are other countries stamps overprinted with a new name. (sort of a standard thing) The guy who was THE expert a long time ago turned out to also be the guy making fake over prints that surprise! were expertized as good.
Once it was found out, he was kicked out of all philatelic groups he was in, and If I remember it right charged with fraud.
He expertized other stuff too, and now his expertizing mark* is taken as a sign that a fake is likely what you're looking at.

In Europe, it was standard for the expertizer to stamp their name on the back of the stamp. Sometimes in different positions to indicate real or fake flawed or not. They would also do entire sets essentially for the same price as one stamp. I learned this when I asked my friend about a stamp I'd gotten that was a very nice example, and had an expert mark, but I couldn't figure out why. Catalog value was maybe 50 cents, and the catalog listed no valuable varieties.

Serious legal action, ostracization, and similar measures are all that will curb the amount of nonsense we have going on now.
But the hobby for the most part doesn't have the guts to stick with demanding that, and Law enforcement seldom has the "need" and or support to commit resources to it when there are so many bigger crimes that need attention.
Valuable and very interesting insight. Thanks Steve.
Old 04-23-2021, 07:05 AM
Andy Wa.lko

Quote:
I would love to see this but I think you're right about law enforcement not having the will to tackle it head-on. A lot of these alterations seem obvious to people in the hobby but to prove fraud in a court of law you need a lot more than a couple pictures of cards that appear to be the same card before and after alteration. You need concrete evidence of the alteration, you need to prove criminal intent, etc. That isn't as easy as some think.
Old 04-23-2021, 10:33 AM
Wimberleycardcollector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc32 View Post
What incentive do these grading companies have to actually discover these altered cards?

Doesn't PSA get a lot more attention if they have a 1915 CJ Joe Jackson in a PSA 9 than a PSA 4? They aren't going to research every card like the skilled guys over on blowout do. They have a 6 month backlog as it is - and they are grading a card ever 90 seconds.

It really is a shame - but until buyers stop paying up for altered cards it won't stop.
Truth. Incentive, time and demand. No demand no market.
Old 04-23-2021, 10:36 AM
Wimberleycardcollector

Quote:
Originally Posted by campyfan39 View Post
The entire concept is completely subjective and ripe for problems. Congrats to people who love it and make money from it but this is one of several reasons I don't have any slabbed cards.
Just my .02

Yep. Me neither. Never had one graded and never will. Just doesn't matter to me as a collector.
Old 04-23-2021, 10:57 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:

Well stated, and completely agree...

But regarding your last statement, somehow Law Enforcement was able to commit ample resources to Mastro and to Operation Bullpen (neither of which was anywhere as rampant/widespread as the current card fiasco).

Don't be so sure that the FBI isn't still working on this. It takes time to build and cement the case, and there are a ton of "players" involved. In addition, Covid has probably delayed their investigative procedures by a number of months.

Time will tell.
Old 04-23-2021, 12:45 PM
Scott Russell

I'm with Mark. I am almost certain that the FBI doesn't invest resources like they have (Agents at the last National among man other documented things) and then just up and quit. I'd put money on the fact that this is an ongoing investigation if there was any way to conclusively find out.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 05-05-2021, 04:52 PM
Michael

I had been tracking several of the Cracker Jacks out of curiosity and I just got emails saying the following lots have been withdrawn:

80217 1915 Cracker Jack Walter Johnson #57
80221 1915 Cracker Jack Napoleon Lajoie #66
80223 1915 Cracker Jack Honus Wagner #68
80230 1915 Cracker Jack Christy Mathewson #88
80234 1915 Cracker Jack Bill James #153

All were SGC 8.5 or higher. More lots may have been withdrawn which I was not tracking.
My avatar is a drawing of a 1958 Topps Hank Aaron by my daughter. If you are interested in one in a similar style based on the card of your choice, details can be found by searching threads with the title phrase Custom Baseball Card Artwork or by PMing me.
Old 05-05-2021, 06:27 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by molenick View Post
I had been tracking several of the Cracker Jacks out of curiosity and I just got emails saying the following lots have been withdrawn:

All were SGC 8.5 or higher. More lots may have been withdrawn which I was not tracking.
To quote the song, Ain't that good news, man, ain't that news.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-05-2021, 06:33 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
To quote the song, Ain't that good news, man, ain't that news.
Good Sam Cooke knowledge Peter.
Heres another:

It's been a long
A long time coming
But I know a change gonna come
Oh, yes it will

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 05-05-2021, 06:37 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
Good Sam Cooke knowledge Peter.
Heres another:

It's been a long
A long time coming
But I know a change gonna come
Oh, yes it will
Same album, and Another Saturday Night as well for that matter.

A Change Is Gonna Come often is called his best song, especially by the politically correct like Rolling Stone lol, but to me nothing tops Wonderful World, one of a handful of what I would call perfect songs ever written.

Old 05-05-2021, 06:49 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:

A Change Is Gonna Come often is called his best song, especially by the politically correct like Rolling Stone lol, but to me nothing tops Wonderful World, one of a handful of what I would call perfect songs ever written.
Great stuff when the Soul Stirrers backed him. Here's a modern gospel re-mix with Soul Stirrers. Kind of a neat tune.
-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 05-05-2021, 06:53 PM
Peter Spaeth

Rhyming algebra and slide rule is for, genius. Imagine if he had lived longer, Buddy Holly too.

And since it's a card forum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cooke.jpg (77.3 KB, 241 views)

Old 05-05-2021, 06:59 PM
T0NY @

Quote:
Originally Posted by molenick View Post

Looking at these lot #'s, they appear to still be active.

Who were your emails from claiming that these had been withdrawn?
Old 05-05-2021, 07:14 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:

I was going to nominate Convoy by C.W. McCall, Kung Fu Fighting by Carl Douglas or Billy Don't be a Hero by Bo Donaldson.

How's that for three "one hit wonders" you thought you'd never hear of again? I guess most people here have never heard of them, period!
Old 05-05-2021, 07:19 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I'm in the 'Bring It On Home To Me' camp.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:54 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
I was going to nominate Convoy by C.W. McCall, Kung Fu Fighting by Carl Douglas or Billy Don't be a Hero by Bo Donaldson.

How's that for three "one hit wonders" you thought you'd never hear of again? I guess most people here have never heard of them, period!
Now there was genius, rhyming frightening and timing. Can you imagine someone releasing that song with its stereotypes today?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-05-2021 at 07:54 PM.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:56 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-2-count View Post
Looking at these lot #'s, they appear to still be active.

Who were your emails from claiming that these had been withdrawn?
Here's the email I received from Heritage today re the withdrawal of Lot #80217:

"Greetings from Heritage Auctions.

A lot you have been tracking, lot # 80217, previously described as: "1915 Cracker Jack Walter Johnson #57 SGC Mint 9 – Pop Three, None Higher! For over half a century, Walter Johnson endured a lonely existence as the sole inhabitant of the 3,000 Strikeout Clubhouse until Cardinals ace Bob Gibson became his first roommate in 1974. Though Gibson may have matched Johnson's famous velocity, the Big Train was a singular rarity in the dawning decades of the twentieth century, striking fear into the hearts of even the most accomplished and unflappable batsmen of the day. "The first time I faced him, I watched him take that easy windup," the legendary Ty Cobb recounted. "And then something went past me that made me flinch. The thing just hissed with danger. We couldn't tough him. Every one of us knew we'd met the most powerful arm ever turned loose in a ball park." Three decades after that memorable first encounter, Cobb and Johnson would join Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner and Christy Mathewson as the very first inductees of the Baseball Hall of Fame. The offered trading finds itself in even more exclusive company, one of just three 1915 Cracker Jacks to find Johnson sheltered beneath a Mint 9 slab, with none superior. A condition report allows us to do nothing more than hurl superlatives, as the card passes its centennial looking better than most of the cards did upon their original birth from Cracker Jack packages in 1915 when sticky caramel was a common danger. The presented representation is indistinguishable from its state of condition upon original printing, clean and sharp-cornered, and even free of the centering problems endemic to the issue. The Big Train has never looked better. Graded SGC Mint 9." in the 2021 May 6 - 8 Spring Sports Catalog Auction - Dallas, #50041 has been withdrawn from the auction and is no longer available for tracking.

Thanks for your understanding.
If you have questions regarding this lot, please email Bid@HA.com."
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:00 PM
Michael

The emails I got were from bid@ha.com saying the lots had been withdrawn. I agree it is a little confusing because the lot is still searchable as if it was live, but the description says it has been withdrawn. I am not sure what would happen if you tried to bid on it, but I don't want to try!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lot 80217.JPG (43.5 KB, 218 views)
My avatar is a drawing of a 1958 Topps Hank Aaron by my daughter. If you are interested in one in a similar style based on the card of your choice, details can be found by searching threads with the title phrase Custom Baseball Card Artwork or by PMing me.
Old 05-05-2021, 10:46 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Kudos to Heritage for doing the right thing
Old 05-05-2021, 11:14 PM
T0NY @

Looks like they’ve been withdrawn now!

Good to see!
Old 05-06-2021, 06:24 AM
Michael

Yeah, almost all the high grade 1915 Cracker Jacks no longer show up at all (although there is still a 9 Evers, 9.5 Speaker, and 8.5 Reulbach, which I guess were not specifically outed).

Last edited by molenick; 05-06-2021 at 06:25 AM.
Old 05-06-2021, 06:31 AM

Great work BODA, and I am glad to see Heritage pulled these. Now what happens with the cards? Back to consignor I guess..
Old 05-06-2021, 07:30 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Great work BODA, and I am glad to see Heritage pulled these. Now what happens with the cards? Back to consignor I guess..
They'll probably get recerted with new numbers, says one cynic.

Old 05-06-2021, 09:14 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
And then, they're on their way to Brent.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:49 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
More than one....
Old 05-07-2021, 12:30 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Is anyone surprised given the latest hire at SGC

Fresh off a career umpiring.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 05-07-2021 at 12:30 PM.