NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-27-2007, 03:01 PM
Administrator

Default Cards of Satchel Paige in Negro Leagues

Posted By: peter chao

Guys,

I had a '53 Topps Satchel Paige but I traded it for a '58 Topps Ted Williams. At any rate, does anybody know of a vintage Satchel Paige card while he was pitching in the Negro Leagues.

Peter

Old 01-27-2007, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

No pre-majors cards of Paige.

-Ryan

Old 01-27-2007, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Ryan,

That's incredible, Satchel pitched for about 25 years before he appeared in the majors with the Cleveland Indians and not a single card.

Peter

Old 01-27-2007, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

It's really not that surprising. Strictly speaking, there are no known Negro League cards at all. There are Cuban League cards and Puerto Rican League cards and some of these cards picture players who also played for Negro League teams. But the cards list the players with their appropriate Cuban League or Puerto Rican League team and picture the players in their Cuban League or Puerto Rican League uniforms.

Ryan would know better than me whether Satchel Paige played in Cuba or Puerto Rico during a time when cards were being issued there. If not, that would explain the complete absence of Negro League era cards of him.

Old 01-27-2007, 04:55 PM
Administrator

Peter,

You're right, for as long as his career was, it's almost a fluke he didn't have any cards. But he was just never in the right place at the right time.

He played in Cuba in 1929, but it was too late for any of the great 1920s issues produced there.

He played in Venezuela in the late 1930s, but it was too late for any of the issues produced there between 1931 and 1935.

He played in the Dominican Republic in 1937 but there were no cards until nearly the 1950s.

He played in Puerto Rico as early as 1939, but not long enough to make it into any of the sets produced there beginning in 1948.

He also played in Mexico but there is almost nothing from there.

Part of the problem is that from the late 1920s until the mid-40s there were no cards produced in any of those countries other than a couple of issues in Venezuela in the early 30s.

Same thing with Buck Leonard. Cool Papa Bell, too, although he does appear in uniform on a studio portrait real photo postcard from a series that probably featured each member (only 5 different players have surfaced) of the team. Hard to definitively call that a card, though.

When you think about it, it's really more of a fluke that some players do have cards than it is that Satchel Paige doesn't. Biz Mackey was only in cuba one season (1924-25) but he made it onto a card. Bullet Rogan and Turkey Stearnes were both there that year as well, but no cards for either of them.

Jud Wilson was dominant in Cuba for 6 seasons, but didn't get there until the 1925-26 season. His only shot to get on a card was the 1927-28 Mallorquina issue, which he is not in. Willie Foster has a card in that issue even though his only season in Cuba was 1927-28.

Some important non-HOF Negro Leaguers made it onto cards in spite of only playing one season in Cuba. Dobie Moore has 3 cards. Heavy Johnson has a card. Edgar Wesley has 2 cards.

Buck O'Neil was only there one year but made it onto 2 cards.

It was all a matter of timing. If you were there for the 1923-24 season or the 1946-47 season, you had a good chance of having a card.

-Ryan

P.S. Since I mentioned a Mr. Mackey (Biz) in my post I thought I should also let you know that Professor Chaos is a character from South Park. Actually, it's more of an alter-ego of a character.

Old 01-27-2007, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Ryan,

Thanks for all the info, seems like you have a real passion for the history Negro League stars. How about the negro league stars that were just recently inducted into the HOF. Are there cards of those guys.

Peter

Old 01-27-2007, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

Peter, you should take a look at Ryan's site, one of my favorite on the internet.

http://cubanbaseballcards.com

I look at it whenever I have a question on a vintage Cuban card. Some of the rarest and most desired cards are from these issues.

Old 01-27-2007, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Peter,

Of the 12 players recently inducted, 7 have cards. There were 17 total inductees, but the other five weren't players.

New HOFers that have cards:

Raymond Brown
Willard Brown
Andy Cooper
Pete Hill
Biz Mackey
Jose Mendez
Cristobal Torriente

Here's a link to a list of all 39 candidates that were on the HOF ballot and their cards: http://www.cubanbaseballcards.com/NegroHOFballot.html

-Ryan

Old 01-27-2007, 05:39 PM
Administrator

Ryan,

Great website, thanks for all the info. Now you got me interested...

Peter