NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 02-17-2019, 09:58 AM
Peter Spaeth

Default $256 for a PSA 9 Lee Smith RC???

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-TOPPS-...orig_cvip=true

The world has gone mad. If this links to a different auction click view original item.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 02-17-2019 at 09:59 AM.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:51 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Judging by the look on Lee's face, he can't believe it either.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:33 PM
Dave

Looks like 10's are going for between 600-800 bucks. Could have had them for a song just a few months ago.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:43 PM
Dave Foster

The seller must have had a s**t eating grin on his face after pulling this one off. Barnum was right. How many of these were produced? Umpteen trillion?
Old 02-17-2019, 03:04 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclpads View Post
The seller must have had a s**t eating grin on his face after pulling this one off. Barnum was right. How many of these were produced? Umpteen trillion?
I think that may be low.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:25 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

I couldn't afford a Green PMG Jordan, so I needed to spend my eBay bucks on something... ;-)
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 02-17-2019, 04:50 PM

I just looked, when I bought a the same card in November of 2016, I paid $7.91 plus $3 s&h.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:26 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

$256?! Holy Cow!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2019, 07:07 PM
D@le Irv*n

Something fishy going on? If you scroll down in this site, you will 3 back to back sales last year (2018) of 10's going for over $600 but if you look at the rest of the sales, most barely went $100-$150.

Check out the price of recent 9's.
https://www.psacard.com/cardfacts/ba...mith-452/59039
Old 02-17-2019, 07:24 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

The difference in those is likely the announcement of Lee Smith going into the Hall of Fame. No shock that a huge group of buyers pushed the price since they now needed the card for their registry sets.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:38 PM
Adam Yastrzemski

Surprising. I don’t know if they checked the pop but it’s not low. Almost half of the cards submitted are 9 or 10.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:41 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

And there's probably a 1000 of them at PSA right now.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:42 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
The difference in those is likely the announcement of Lee Smith going into the Hall of Fame. No shock that a huge group of buyers pushed the price since they now needed the card for their registry sets.
Right, you would expect a spike especially as his election was somewhat a surprise, but not of this order of magnitude on an abundant card.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 02-17-2019 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:43 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
And there's probably a 1000 of them at PSA right now.
The beauty of the market economy at work. Long run this is a $50 card or less IMO.

Old 02-19-2019, 03:08 PM
M!chael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
The beauty of the market economy at work. Long run this is a $50 card or less IMO.
Agreed. Even though it's a fairly high pop even now, only something like 4 or 5 have come to market since the HOF announcement. My guess is that there's some impatience setting in among registry participants. And PSA turnaround times are so slow it may be months before the 1000 hit the market. I put in what I considered to be an absurd bid because of my own impatience and missed by more than $100.

Last edited by Sinker Slider; 02-19-2019 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:41 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinker Slider View Post
Agreed. Even though it's a fairly high pop even now, only something like 4 or 5 have come to market since the HOF announcement. My guess is that there's some impatience setting in among registry participants. And PSA turnaround times are so slow it may be months before the 1000 hit the market. I put in what I considered to be an absurd bid because of my own impatience and missed by more than $100.
I bought a raw one out of protest lol.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:47 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

I doubt 9s get back to the 15-17 dollar mark again, but they should settle into the 35-45 by Christmas or so in my belief. The days of 40-50 dollar 10s are gone, those are likely 100-150 when they settle.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:55 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
I doubt 9s get back to the 15-17 dollar mark again, but they should settle into the 35-45 by Christmas or so in my belief. The days of 40-50 dollar 10s are gone, those are likely 100-150 when they settle.
I think that's right and that Baines will follow a similar pattern. I am surprised more Smiths have not been put up given the crazy prices they are fetching.

Old 02-20-2019, 12:16 PM
Al Richter

And, there is a variant

Old 02-20-2019, 12:37 PM

If there is a variation, Al will find it.
Nice!
Old 03-13-2019, 12:28 PM
Peter Spaeth

$276 this time. It makes no sense at all.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-Lee-Sm...p2047675.l2557

Old 03-13-2019, 12:45 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Wow...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 03-13-2019, 02:53 PM
M!chael

Underbidder last time was the winner this time. Guess he or she really wanted it. I was lucky and snagged a 9 on a (relatively) reasonable BIN of $95. I still think I lose in the long run at that price.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:01 PM
M!chael

Maybe it is all Washington Post columnist Tom Boswell’s fault. From a chat of his right after the HOF election.

“Footnote: In '90, when my mom passed away, I found my old '50's and early '60's baseball cards in the back of a closet in my parents home. So, for a couple of years, I got the baseball card collecting bug. I'm pretty sure that any shrink would say this had something to do with associating those cards with my happy youth, my parents young and healthy, etc. It was a little weird. But, intuitively, I think people who knew me, and friends, "got it," even though I didn't for a couple of years: it's just a reaction to one parent dying and the other being old and sick. Anyway, my No. 1 card-collecting nuttiness was trying to find Lee Smith Rookie Cards. On the road, and this was during the baseball card craze, I'd go to shops and ask if they had any of those cards. At that time, every rookie card of every Hall of Famer was worth close to $100-a-card. When I'd ask for Lee Smith's cards, the owners would look at me like I was a crazy lost soul. They'd find a dozen of them, or sometimes a lot more, and sell them to me for one or two CENTS each. One guy just gave me a whole stack, just saying, "He has no chance. He's a reliever."

I kept them in the back of the back of the attic for years, my little defiant stand on Lee Smith DESERVES to Be in Cooperstown. Somewhere along the way, maybe after he got so little support in the BBWAA voting, I just laughed at myself, I do a lot more of that than you might suppose, and threw them in the trash. These days, baseball cards, except for the pre-'70's ones, are so hated (glutted market) that you couldn't sell 100 Smith RC's for $1.”

Somebody should send him these auction results!
Old 03-14-2019, 08:19 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinker Slider View Post
Underbidder last time was the winner this time. Guess he or she really wanted it. I was lucky and snagged a 9 on a (relatively) reasonable BIN of $95. I still think I lose in the long run at that price.
I think long run it's a $50-60 card but I too would have snapped that one up had I seen it.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-14-2019 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-07-2021, 05:27 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Looks like the PSA 9s have settled back down into the $50-100 range. Last PSA 10 went for $1000 though.

I spotted the variation (extended I in SMITH) and figured this would be a thread to post it in, but see it's already reported.
Old 05-07-2021, 08:09 AM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D. View Post
I just looked, when I bought a the same card in November of 2016, I paid $7.91 plus $3 s&h.
Well then, your upside is looking mighty good!
Old 05-07-2021, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchie_t View Post
Well then, your upside is looking mighty good!
I’m rich! Except then I’d just go buy more cards. Ah, the financial roller coaster of the “collector not investor”.
Old 05-28-2021, 11:08 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

I don’t think COVID pricing could have ever been predicted during the first run of the thread. I would still call that 50 to 100 for a 9 not settled. Just my opinion but I am going to disregard any of the valuations of these past 15 months from my mind. Looking forward to what the hobby looks like in the coming fall-winter as life resumes.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.