NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-17-2021, 06:10 PM

Default 1906 Ticket Help

So I found this ticket recently in a 1906 scrapbook. I know for 100% certainty this dates to 1906, the high school senior whose book it was found in noted he was given the blank book for Christmas in 1905 and nothing was in there past Christmas 1906 save a few random things jammed into the back.

When I first saw the ticket I simply thought it was a cool 1906 White Sox ticket from their championship season. However, it gets better because the game number 1 on the stub indicates this was either from the World Series (first game) or opening day. I believe it is the World Series for a few reasons, the only other 1906 stub I have seen had a 50 cent price whereas the only known White Sox World Series stub had a similar $1.50 price.

I am at a dead end and as far as I can tell, there is no other game one ticket known (at least none I could find) so perhaps someone on this board that knows tickets could help me determine absolutely if I have an opening day stub or a world series stub.

Thanks in advance

Rhys
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ticket1.jpg (72.8 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg ticket2.jpg (76.2 KB, 143 views)
Old 07-17-2021, 06:13 PM

For comparison, here is the one from game number three that sold.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...orld-511363592

Also, the ticket has a break on the right side so I did not remove it from the holder when taking a picture which is why it looks stained and grainy.

Last edited by prewarsports; 07-17-2021 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-17-2021, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prewarsports View Post
For comparison, here is the one from game number three that sold.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...orld-511363592

Also, the ticket has a break on the right side so I did not remove it from the holder when taking a picture which is why it looks stained and grainy.
Rhys,
How's it going? I hope to see you at the National...
I'm in agreement that your ticket is not from a regular season game. The ticket price is certainly too high for 1906.
Word Series, Game 1 at CWS? Very likely, IMHO
Old 07-20-2021, 09:26 AM

My two cents from someone with almost 450 different World Series tickets who is tying to put together a guide of not only pricing, but understanding of the tickets themselves.

I don't think there is any definitive evidence anywhere that this is from a World Series game. I don't trust anything that has been sold previously by Legendary Auctions, so if that is the only previous image of this ticket, I would be skeptical based on this one previous sale alone. I would have to look at differences in tickets from that year, but wonder if this was a type of coupon used to exchange for a ticket? There is no indication of an opponent, a seat number or what this is for. It also has indication saying 'when in use good for any game this season'.

It may very well have been used for a world series, but without definitive proof of this (maybe having it in a program or with a photo of the World Series) from a truly reliable source, this is all guesswork and speculation. Sorry to be so negative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Rhys,
How's it going? I hope to see you at the National...
I'm in agreement that your ticket is not from a regular season game. The ticket price is certainly too high for 1906.
Word Series, Game 1 at CWS? Very likely, IMHO
Old 07-20-2021, 12:55 PM

Default Ticket

I understand what you are saying. I have spoken to others on the phone with extensive knowledge and their opinion is the price is the key. Regular-season games were 50 cents and you can see where they added the $1 to the front of it in offset type to increase the price, which they would have not done for a regular season game, even opening day. I appreciate the input and opinion, this is just what I have been getting in private conversations about why all others I have spoken to believe it is indeed a World Series ticket.

No need to apologize for appearing negative, I appreciate all information and opinions, not just ones that fit what I hope it to be Your input is much appreciated.
Old 07-20-2021, 01:05 PM

Quote:
I understand what you are saying. I have spoken to others on the phone with extensive knowledge and their opinion is the price is the key. Regular-season games were 50 cents and you can see where they added the $1 to the front of it in offset type to increase the price, which they would have not done for a regular season game, even opening day. I appreciate the input and opinion, this is just what I have been getting in private conversations about why all others I have spoken to believe it is indeed a World Series ticket.

No need to apologize for appearing negative, I appreciate all information and opinions, not just ones that fit what I hope it to be Your input is much appreciated.
I have chatted with some of the top WS ticket collectors as well before I provided the feedback. The price also could be related to a seating area in the stadium?? The '1' is interesting as well as I have seen a number of different numbers on these tickets and perhaps it was a higher price also for Opening Day. I don't have evidence that the number correlates to a game number, but would love to see that.

I think the real answer may lie in research from old archives from the city of Chicago or older sports pages that may indicated what indeed this is. Super interesting find and I would love to hear what else you find out that may confirm or deny what it is.
Old 07-20-2021, 02:50 PM

Default Ticket

One of the older collectors I spoke to that has been chronicling tickets from every team and every season for decades told me something interesting the other day which I had not heard before. He told me there is no evidence that teams charged more for specific games, including opening day, except for the World Series. He had opening day tickets on file for White Sox games since the advent of Comiskey Park and even those were all the same price. Bigger crowds, but the ticket prices were set for the regular season and did not change. According to several people that is key here, but I agree that perhaps a newspaper article that actually spoke about ticket prices would maybe be the key.

I appreciate the feedback.
Old 07-21-2021, 08:52 AM

The price does seem high but perhaps it was for a box or better seat? Is there evidence from the collector that the '1' is a game number as opposed to a box or section number?

Quote:
One of the older collectors I spoke to that has been chronicling tickets from every team and every season for decades told me something interesting the other day which I had not heard before. He told me there is no evidence that teams charged more for specific games, including opening day, except for the World Series. He had opening day tickets on file for White Sox games since the advent of Comiskey Park and even those were all the same price. Bigger crowds, but the ticket prices were set for the regular season and did not change. According to several people that is key here, but I agree that perhaps a newspaper article that actually spoke about ticket prices would maybe be the key.

I appreciate the feedback.