NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 04-17-2019, 08:39 AM
Peter Spaeth

Default The modern card market with Yelich as example

Yelich is off to an amazing start this year -- he's had a great three weeks LOL. I was checking out his RCs and they literally have tripled over preseason levels. The cards are abundant. I guess I just don't get it?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:41 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Default The modern card market with Yelich as example

I make a living doing this and I love it. This is my stock market. I bought Yelich at next to nothing years ago. All comes down to supply vs demand.

Last edited by HOF Auto Rookies; 04-17-2019 at 08:42 AM.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:48 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF Auto Rookies View Post
I make a living doing this and I love it. This is my stock market. I bought Yelich at next to nothing years ago. All comes down to supply vs demand.
Right I guess I just don't understand the huge spike in demand on the basis of a 27 year old having 3 great weeks.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:09 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF Auto Rookies View Post

A lot of it has to do with last season. He followed up his MVP campaign with an even better start in his encore season.

Look at Vlad Jr. Kid hasn't played in the Majors and his cards are insanely high.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:54 AM

I think many were waiting to see if he could continue the blistering pace he had the second half of the year, and there were many doubters. Because he came out of the box hot, people saw that as validation, hence the rise. Whether that proves accurate in the long run, who knows. I know I have picked up a number of his cards over the past few weeks at decent prices.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Right I guess I just don't understand the huge spike in demand on the basis of a 27 year old having 3 great weeks.
He's been seen as a superstar in waiting for a long time now and has shown flashes of his potential before (2016, for example). Entering his prime years of 27 through 31, probably a good time to sell vs buy but I can understand why there's much more interest in him now.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:20 PM

Speaking of which, what is the card to get for Yelich?
Old 04-18-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
If you want something old school, 2013 Topps Update Yelich. The Black version /62 is going to be the super premium version of that card. People will say it's manufactured scarcity but the black versions of the older, bordered cards look incredible.

The modern Chrome folks-2010 Bowman Chrome autographs for sure.

Last edited by WillBBC; 04-18-2019 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:52 AM

Thanks...I'm more old school, meaning a normal production run rookie card (i.e. 2011 Topps Update Trout vs. all the uber rare and expensive insert cards).
Old 04-18-2019, 12:12 PM

The gold parallels are the perfect balance of the two. Numbered to the year of the card so they're readily available but difficult to pull, if that makes sense.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:54 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I like the Heritage but even those are way over $100 for a 10 now. Yikes.

Old 04-18-2019, 12:58 PM
Peter Spaeth

Wow.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Topps-...gAAOSwHoBcp8bU

What self-respecting guy can own that lol.

Old 04-18-2019, 01:11 PM
octavio ranzola

no one talks about all the busts that are now commons ,,and you can even give away ,,
Old 04-18-2019, 05:06 PM
C@rl P@rk

Quote:
Thanks...I'm more old school, meaning a normal production run rookie card (i.e. 2011 Topps Update Trout vs. all the uber rare and expensive insert cards).
I got the standard 2013 Topps Update as part of my MVP rookie collection. Seems to be a solid choice.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2019, 08:27 PM

Thanks guys...

Just got this on eBay...climbing steady.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yelich.jpg (75.0 KB, 415 views)
Old 04-21-2019, 09:01 PM
Peter Spaeth

He's on pace to drive in 218 runs
if he does, I'm buying!!!
Bellinger is red red hot too.

Old 04-21-2019, 09:23 PM

PS- Regarding Acuna & Betts...like many other more recent players, there's about 1,890 different rookie cards to choose from

If I prefer the more straight forward rookie cards...would that be also Topps Update for these guys? Not looking for fancy signed insert cards.

Looks like Acuna, for instance, has several different Topps Update cards (pink, short print, blue jersey, etc), not to mention all the Heritage version. Enough to make you loose your mind.

Thanks in advance for any insight here.

Last edited by MVSNYC; 04-21-2019 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
PS- Regarding Acuna & Betts...like many other more recent players, there's about 1,890 different rookie cards to choose from

If I prefer the more straight forward rookie cards...would that be also Topps Update for these guys? Not looking for fancy signed insert cards.

Looks like Acuna, for instance, has several different Topps Update cards (pink, short print, blue jersey, etc), not to mention all the Heritage version. Enough to make you loose your mind.

Update's a good bet for both guys. Acuna has a series 2 short print with a great photo. It was generally one per case so not very easy to pull.

For Acuna--watch out. There are 309530985 variations of the Update card. #US250 is the one you're looking for if you want a standard base rookie.

Acuna's Heritage High Number cards are lookers as well. Nothing to be wary of there, fortunately. Base card has a classic photo, the Action Variation has a great action shot. Can't go wrong with either.

For Betts-Same deal. Update or Heritage High Number. Can't go wrong with either.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:43 AM
octavio ranzola

my poor aaron judges
Old 04-22-2019, 12:57 PM

Thanks Will! I'll pursue those. Just to be clear...

For Acuna- you mean the 2018 topps update with the photo shot from behind, with "red & blue shirt"? seems like there's multiple #US250 cards (annoying).

For Betts- I assume you mean his 2014 topps update #US26?

Thanks.

Last edited by MVSNYC; 04-22-2019 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:48 PM
T0dd M@rcum

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillBBC View Post
The gold parallels are the perfect balance of the two. Numbered to the year of the card so they're readily available but difficult to pull, if that makes sense.
I picked up a couple of Bellinger gold updates for that reason. It might not pay, but they were only $3 each or so.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:48 AM
C@rl P@rk

I also like to pick up the Chrome versions of the rookie cards too when I can. Just a nice higher end parallel to the base cards.

Old 04-23-2019, 02:09 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Thanks Will! I'll pursue those. Just to be clear...

For Acuna- you mean the 2018 topps update with the photo shot from behind, with "red & blue shirt"? seems like there's multiple #US250 cards (annoying).

For Betts- I assume you mean his 2014 topps update #US26?

Thanks.
This as I understand it is the "flagship" Acuna. A short print or super short print.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg acuna.jpg (75.9 KB, 351 views)

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-23-2019 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:10 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

I would get this Betts, much cooler than the Update.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg betts.jpg (81.8 KB, 346 views)

Old 04-23-2019, 08:58 PM

Thanks guys!

Just won this...so on to Acuna now, thanks Peter...then Bellinger next (so many too choose from...which one is the "flagship" rookie?).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Betts 125.jpg (80.3 KB, 337 views)

Last edited by MVSNYC; 04-24-2019 at 10:13 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:23 PM
C@rl P@rk

Quote:
Thanks guys!

Just won this...so on to Acuna now, thanks Peter...then Bellinger next (so many too choose from...which one is the "flagship" rookie?).
Not sure if he's been mentioned but don't sleep on Nolan Arenado either. He's top 10 in the game right now but his rookies are still relatively cheap. Another 2013 Topps Update guy.

Old 04-25-2019, 05:42 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFisk View Post
Not sure if he's been mentioned but don't sleep on Nolan Arenado either. He's top 10 in the game right now but his rookies are still relatively cheap. Another 2013 Topps Update guy.

I think like Walker and Helton he suffers from Coors Field stat syndrome and will continue to do so.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-25-2019 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:46 PM
Peter Spaeth

I like Altuve -- 1445 hits and still a few days before his 29th birthday. Not a great power hitter, but pretty good power for his position.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:19 PM
C@rl P@rk

I have a couple of Altuves. The 2011 Update Set really does have a nice crop of stars. Goldschmidt is in there, JD Martinez too.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:35 PM
Peter Spaeth

Still hoping that Machado works out, I bought this super rare one -- 3 9s no 10s how often do you see that for a modern card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg machado.jpg (75.6 KB, 288 views)

Old 04-25-2019, 09:22 PM

Thanks guys! Fun thread.

Out of all the players, Bellinger seems the most confusing to me...too many rookie cards to choose from. Wish it was more stripped down like years ago. Does he have a base Topps update?

Last edited by MVSNYC; 04-26-2019 at 05:17 AM.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:26 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Thanks guys! Fun thread.

Out of all the players, Bellinger seems the most confusing to me...too many rookie cards to choose from. Wish it was more stripped down like years ago. Does he have a base Topps update?
I picked up this Heritage which is nice and cheap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bellinger.jpg (76.7 KB, 284 views)

Old 04-25-2019, 09:33 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I have a couple of Altuves. The 2011 Update Set really does have a nice crop of stars. Goldschmidt is in there, JD Martinez too.

I didn't like the Update -- odd pose -- so got this one. I know, Beckett, thumbs down, but it was a couple of years ago lol who knew.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg altuve.jpg (63.2 KB, 285 views)

Old 04-26-2019, 02:33 PM
C@rl P@rk

Great cards, Peter - that Machado is really slick. I just went with his 2013 Topps and Topps Chrome cards. I have the Altuve Update and Bowman Chrome cards. The Update is a very odd card indeed. Sort of like a Twister game being played vertically.

I love buying modern rookie cards for my collection. I try and buy a few current players every year...So far this year I've picked up some players I like - Francisco Lindor, Rhys Hoskins, Carlos Correa, Javier Baez, Jose Ramirez, Jose Berrios. Vintage is my true love but there's always a place for a few modern cards for me.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:36 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Great cards, Peter - that Machado is really slick. I just went with his 2013 Topps and Topps Chrome cards. I have the Altuve Update and Bowman Chrome cards. The Update is a very odd card indeed. Sort of like a Twister game being played vertically.

I love buying modern rookie cards for my collection. I try and buy a few current players every year...So far this year I've picked up some players I like - Francisco Lindor, Rhys Hoskins, Carlos Correa, Javier Baez, Jose Ramirez, Jose Berrios. Vintage is my true love but there's always a place for a few modern cards for me.
Man, starting late last year Ramirez has taken a huge dive. At one point I thought he might be the best young player out there.

Old 04-26-2019, 02:42 PM
C@rl P@rk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Man, starting late last year Ramirez has taken a huge dive. At one point I thought he might be the best young player out there.
He's been absolutely brutal this year. I haven't really seen him play much but looking at his stats seems like he's gotten a lot less selective and making a ton of weak contact.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:46 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
He's been absolutely brutal this year. I haven't really seen him play much but looking at his stats seems like he's gotten a lot less selective and making a ton of weak contact.
He was worthless the last month of last year and is starting in the same way this year, hitting well under .200.

Machado and Harper haven't been lighting it up either after a month but not nearly as anemic as Ramirez.

Old 04-26-2019, 07:58 PM
C@rl P@rk

Here are a few recent pickups.

Old 04-28-2019, 06:48 AM
C@rl P@rk

Quote:
Thanks guys! Fun thread.

I think he has a few Update cards, but the "proper" card being US50. That card has a standard pic and an SP (where he is crossing home plate and giving high fives).

Old 04-28-2019, 08:15 PM

Thanks...but what makes no sense is there's multiple cards (poses) with the same "US50" card number. Bizarre, annoying.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:50 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Thanks...but what makes no sense is there's multiple cards (poses) with the same "US50" card number. Bizarre, annoying.
Yeah I looked at them, basically said WTF and switched to Heritage which is a nice card.

Old 04-29-2019, 06:04 AM
C@rl P@rk

Quote:
It's annoying for sure, but I guess it keeps the breakers happy. Somehow I ended up with three Bellinger rookies. Update, Update alternate photo and Chrome. Absurd.

Old 04-29-2019, 07:46 AM

If you're actually opening those packs/boxes and you hit one of those, it's far from annoying. The odds aren't super tough but when it's 1:box and you hit the big rookie, it's a darn good feeling!
Old 04-29-2019, 12:24 PM
Garth Guibord

I like the image variation cards, although some images are much much better than others. I think the variation cards (SP/SSP) could continue to be very desirable as time goes on.
Mookie's 2014 Update RC has this variation:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mookie.jpg (69.6 KB, 208 views)
Old 04-29-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
It's annoying for sure, but I guess it keeps the breakers happy. Somehow I ended up with three Bellinger rookies. Update, Update alternate photo and Chrome. Absurd.

Being that several of them share the same number, which is considered his "A" rookie, versus alternate image? Again, a little annoying.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:14 PM
C@rl P@rk

Quote:
Being that several of them share the same number, which is considered his "A" rookie, versus alternate image? Again, a little annoying.
The regular image (batting) I think will be the standard A one, and the alternate will be a gimmicky curiosity but one that's worth more $$. I usually don't bother with alternates (I usually just get standard and chrome) but happened to win the alternate and wasn't expecting to. I agree with an earlier post that alternates are fun to win in breaks, but annoying in the secondary market!

Old 04-29-2019, 08:38 PM

Got it, thanks.

I need to get one asap, he's killing it.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:37 AM
Jonathan Sterling

Yes Bellinger is killing it. I had purchased an unopened case of 2017 Topps Chrome Jumbo's. Which has Aaron Judge, Cody Bellinger, Andrew Benintendi, Andrew Bergman Rookies. Nice class but almost all the Bellinger's are Redemption cards.. That Expire at the end of this Month May 2019. I paid close to wholesale and can make a few bucks selling the case but not what I wanted. I wish Topps would figure out a way to extend the redemptions at least 10 years, if not more. Makes putting away unopened tough.
My Son says we should break it and that may be what happens.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:05 PM

Just got this...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cody.jpg (76.9 KB, 151 views)
Old 05-03-2019, 08:08 PM
C@rl P@rk

Quote:
Just got this...
Nice one! Get your Rhys Hoskins next before the word gets out.