NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 03-17-2021, 03:36 PM

Default Does WalMart Still Sell Sports Cards?

I like to buy a blaster box or two of most of the Topps Heritage baseball releases, and later give the cards away to kids in bricks for Christmas stockings. I can't find any sports cards at all at WalMart or Target. Did the large retail stores get out of the sports card retailing gig?
Old 03-17-2021, 06:26 PM
Tony Quinn

They still sell them but good luck getting them. Local dealers and guys who set up at shows know EXACTLY when they are putting them out and buy them up the instant they are on the shelves. I have seen these guys lined up like jackals waiting for the blasters. My son heard Walmart was considering putting a limit on the number of boxes one person can buy but have not seen this take effect as of yet. That said, forget about EVER buying another blaster box at Walmart!
Old 03-17-2021, 07:19 PM

Thanks for that, but at the WalMart and Target near me, there's no indication that there have been any boxes from any sport on the shelves for several months. I guess I'll have to go online, which I hate to do.
Old 03-17-2021, 08:50 PM

WalMart has no card sections here.

Targets here have been getting Topps 2021 Baseball, Garbage Pail Kids Food Fight and Magic. Not much else.
Old 03-17-2021, 09:27 PM
Steve Birmingham

The Wal-Mart near me has a card section, but it's mostly empty boxes.

The Target used to have a good selection, but reduced it a couple years ago.
This year they were selling so much they actually had Topps team sets - from 2016. My guess is that Topps doesn't have anything in the back corners of the warehouse anymore.
Old 03-17-2021, 10:08 PM
Dan Bretta

So far this year I have seen 2021 Topps baseball at Scheels Sporting Goods, Barnes & Noble, and even Cracker Barrel restaurants. Check those places out. The flippers haven't discovered them yet.
Old 03-19-2021, 08:46 PM

show up early and see if you can beat all the guys trying to flip them for more money.
Old 03-24-2021, 12:22 PM
Ke.vin G.ray

The Targets and Walmarts near me have had plenty of baseball. It's the basketball and football that has been super in demand. I've just laughed at the grown men desperate to grab hold of all of that. Some of them have scooped up baseball but they can't make the margins on it that they can on the basketball and football.
kevin
Old 03-25-2021, 08:52 AM
Rich Klein

Topps 1 was sitting, not very much, on the shelf at the Walmart I usually go to.

I suspect wait a few weeks and when people realize Heritage retail is not that easy to flip then you will see them on the shelves at Wally World, Target, etc.

I will also note that some of the big box stores may no longer carry cards because of the aggravations of the people gathering to buy those blaster boxes.

Rich
Old 03-25-2021, 02:19 PM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsaboy View Post
The Targets and Walmarts near me have had plenty of baseball. It's the basketball and football that has been super in demand. I've just laughed at the grown men desperate to grab hold of all of that. Some of them have scooped up baseball but they can't make the margins on it that they can on the basketball and football.
kevin
I would expect a lot of the stuff that doesn't sell to be returned and to end up back on the shelf.
Old 03-25-2021, 05:19 PM
Bruce Mattioli

This year is the worst, can't buy a single 2021 product anywhere for the retail price. SMH..
Old 03-28-2021, 03:46 PM
Wimberleycardcollector

Just last week I found a shelf full of boxes and hangers in Walmart and in Target. Same week. I've seem lots of 2021 Flagship product since it came out.
Old 03-28-2021, 05:33 PM
Rich Klein

I went to the Walmart previously referenced yesterday and there was not one Sports pack other than stickers in the store. NOTHING Card related.

Rich
Old 03-28-2021, 06:33 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

In my area, this is one Target store, five Walmart locations, and multiple Walgreens locations. I have looked repeatedly in all of these locations and found zip...until Friday. On Friday, I found a lone blaster of S1 in two different Walmart locations. There's been a lot of discussion regarding the bubble and its impact on the price of cards, but I have still been surprised how this has impacted the availability of retail boxes and packs. Hopefully when this ends flipping retail won't be quite as lucrative, and we can all return to the days of sneaking the occasional blaster box into the Walmart shopping cart in hopes that the wife doesn't quite notice.
Old 03-28-2021, 06:51 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Wal-Mart

I have 4 young grandsons who collect cards. Last October, I went to Wal-Mart online and purchased 4 2020 Topps Update BB 65 card boxes for them @ $9.98 each. Toward the end of November I purchased 4 more for Xmas presents, again at $9.98 each. In January, I thought that I would buy 4 more, because we haven't been able to attend card shows. I was shocked when I saw that the price had jumped to $20.99 each. I checked again a few minutes ago the same product is now at $27.52. Most of the Wal-Mart cards are being provided by a company call "Get Dealz Daily.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 03-28-2021, 07:49 PM
Jeff H

The stores in the area where I live have had limits on cards purchases for a few months. Meijer stores have it set up so that you can only purchase packs or boxes after 3:30pm on Friday with a max of 2 items.
Old 03-29-2021, 02:38 PM
Ke.vin G.ray

Target is in the process of clamping down to where cards will only be stocked on a particular day at a particular time, and people in line before that time will each be able to buy one box per person. Mostly this is a response to the absurdity of dozens of people hanging out in the stores waiting and hoping for someone to come stock the cards section.

I'm pretty convinced that, specifically in regards to Topps flagship baseball, all of this is just stupid panic buying. The flippers really want the premier football and basketball cards, as there is a huge margin to be made in those on ebay, marketplace, and other apps like discord. When they can't get football or basketball, they are buying baseball and trying to flip it too. Then people like us wander into Walmart or Target trying to buy a blaster or a few loose packs, and the shelves are empty. It causes us to perceive that Topps baseball is hard to find or scarce. Perceived scarcity, not actual scarcity. Then we all jump onto marketplace or ebay and are willing to pay $30 for a $20 blaster because we are afraid of missing out. I think flippers are sitting on huge piles of this stuff, doling it out online and benefitting from a perception that this product is hard to find. And it shouldn't be, based on production.

Just my two cents.

kevin
Old 03-30-2021, 10:11 AM
octavio ranzola

Its sad
Old 04-01-2021, 07:03 PM
Joseph Mie.lke

I haven't seen any sportscards at my local Meijer since last July. There were no series 2 Topps last year to be had. The speculators have been hitting the collectible markets hard, the section is empty within an hour.
Old 04-03-2021, 09:09 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Last Wednesday I went into a local card shop hoping to buy a few packs of '21 Topps Heritage. They were selling full boxes only, and the price was $140 or $149. They also had the smaller boxes, I guess they're the ones that "normally" sell for $20 in Target and Walmart, for $29.99.

Needless to say I didn't buy any '21 Topps Heritage that day.
Old 04-04-2021, 05:01 AM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
Last Wednesday I went into a local card shop hoping to buy a few packs of '21 Topps Heritage. They were selling full boxes only, and the price was $140 or $149. They also had the smaller boxes, I guess they're the ones that "normally" sell for $20 in Target and Walmart, for $29.99.

Needless to say I didn't buy any '21 Topps Heritage that day.
I get where you are coming from but today, 2021 is far different than anything we've seen in a long long time.

f I really wanted to open an Heritage Blaster and could not find one at the big stores, I'm OK with $29.99. I know it's supposed to be $20 plus tax (or so) but that does allow the store owner to make a small profit.

Rich
Old 04-04-2021, 05:55 PM
Joseph Mie.lke

Check Target.com or Walmart.com, they will ship to you.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:44 AM
J@RR0D

Stopped by the local Target yesterday. They had two types of 2021 Topps Series 1, jumbo hangers and 3rd party assembled multi-packs. I got three of each, as the sign says "Only three of each item". However when the cashier rung me up, the register beeped and she said "I can't sell you more than three because they're sort of the same thing".

So I asked for the manager, threatened to sue, and blasted them on social media. Nah, I just bought three and went home to open my lackluster packs.
Old 04-15-2021, 02:32 PM

Default Walmart.com warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicosbailbonds View Post
Check Target.com or Walmart.com, they will ship to you.
Be careful on walmart.com as they have 3rd party sellers, in addition to Walmart Inc., who gouge unsuspecting shoppers horribly. I was able to buy 3 Heritage hanger boxes on the site, but they were gone in an hour.

I have been shifting to per-release purchases and waiting.

GOOD LUCK!
Topps 1977 - In progress

Last edited by Malibu39; 04-15-2021 at 02:32 PM.