NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-15-2008, 05:31 PM
Administrator

Default **BONUS Net 54 VBCF April Board Contest ** -- Winner Declared

Posted By: Brian McQueen

Leon and I thought we'd provide an additional contest for the month of April. Below you'll see a set of 30 questions which will comprise a trivia "quiz" of sorts for you all. What we're going to do is give everyone until the end of the month (midnight, May 1st) to answer as many of these questions as possible. These questions all involve HOFers and other noteworthy individuals from the Pre-war era. There is a good mix of questions concerning 19th century players, all the way up through the 1930s. Please note that I intended for these questions to be difficult so I'm hoping the winner will have to spend some time figuring out the answers to these. However I'm also hoping that this will be fun for you all and that maybe you'll all learn a thing or two about some of our favorite players.

The winner of this content will receive the nice t210 Mayberry shown in the scan below (thanks to Leon for providing).

While completing this quiz, please keeping the following rules in mind --

1. Please do not post any answers or hints within this thread or anywhere on the board. When you're finished, send your answers on to my email account at redmaccie@hotmail.com

2. First person to answer all 30 questions correctly is the winner

3. If no one is able to answer all 30 correctly, the person who is able to answer the most questions by month's end will be declared the winner. Ties in this case will be broken by the first to submit their answers according to the date stamp on the email.

4. Please send your answers in all at the same time. Edits may be made if you'd like to do research at a later date, however I will use the date stamp of the most recent email that you send me when figuring out who the winner is.

Good luck guys!

-Brian

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. The player who was the instigator behind the 1919 World Series Scandal

2. HOFer who's career came to a sudden end from a beaning

3. Most prominant sibling in the largest group of brothers to ever play the game

4. HOFer who yelled back at fans heckling him on the field because of his ethnicity - referring to them as "foreigners"

5. HOFer who took time off during baseball games to go fishing, play marbles or drive fire trucks

6. The first HOFer to make his debut with a "major league" Kansas City based team

7. Credited with the innovation of the box score and the keeping of team and player statistics

8. Fireballer who won 28 games and hit more homers than Lajoie, Cobb and Wagner (individually) in the span of one season

9. Holds the distinction as the individual traded for Christy Mathewson

10. HOFer who weighed less than 100 pounds when he first broke into the majors

11. 37 pitchers have thrown a nine-pitch, three-strikeout half inning. This individual was the first.

12. HOFer who's career was cut short when he was in his prime due to tubercular meningitis. He had a career ERA of 1.89 at the time.

13. Holds the major league career records for tripes as well as inside the park home runs.

14. Controversy aside, this was the first player to reach 3,000 hits

15. Only starter on the 1919 White Sox team who was not either banned or elected to the HOF

16. The pitcher that Walter Johnson and Satchel Paige claimed could throw harder than anyone

17. Finished his career as a pitcher yet had over 500 home runs, over 1900 runs batted in and a .325 batting average

18. Gritty player who would sharpen his spikes before heading up to bat.

19. Held the major league record for the most career homeruns until 1921

20. This popular player died after a fall off of the International Bridge

21. Well-liked trickster known for stealing first base

22. Was said to have been guilty of gambling on baseball and "throwing" games for an entire decade before being banned in 1921.

23. HOFer known for being overly hateful and confessed to being a member of the Ku Klux Klan

24. First catcher elected to the HOF

25. Popular pitcher who's career was ruined by a line drive which broke his right big toe.

26. For 95 years, this player held the major league record for most hits in a season until it was broken in 2004.

27. The only non-member of the White Sox banned as a result of the Black Sox Scandal

28. Executive given credit for the innovation of Spring Training

29. These two brothers hold the major league record for combined wins between two brothers playing for the same team.

30. Minor-league pitcher who developed tuberculosis after working in icy river water to help save a Kentucky town during a flood.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

Woops

Old 04-15-2008, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

great questions!
Perhaps "pin" this at the top since people won't be posting their replies here.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Shawn Chambers

email sent! I need another T210!! Ha ha!

Shawn

Old 04-15-2008, 10:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: akupfer

Email sent

thanks for the contest

Alex

Old 04-15-2008, 11:27 PM
Administrator

Congrats to Matt Weider for knocking off all 30 questions. You're the winner of this month's bonus contest. I won't post the answers though as I don't want to spoil the research for anyone else. Feel free to write though if you have questions. Thank you to everyone who wrote in and participated. Hope you all enjoyed it and found this sort of a contest to be worthwhile.

Regards,
Brian
redmaccie@hotmail.com

Old 04-16-2008, 04:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: howard

Wow, well done Matt!

Okay let's see those answers...I want to see what I got wrong : )

Old 04-16-2008, 05:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul S

Wow, by the time I saw this it was over!
Congrats to Matt the Quick!

Old 04-16-2008, 06:30 AM
Administrator

Thanks guys. For those enjoying answering the questions, I contend that question 16 is a small mistake based off of a bad wikipedia entry. To fix it, I would suggest the question be re-worded:

16. The nickname shared by pitchers that Walter Johnson and Satchel Paige claimed could throw harder than anyone.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Counts

Matt,

I agree number 16 was tricky ... also, Paige called more than one pre-war pitcher, "the hardest thrower he ever saw." I guessed and got lucky on that one. The one where I blew it was #2. I put down Kirby Pucket without even noticing that the questions were exclusively about pre-war players. By the time I figured out my mistake it was too late. Oh well ... one day I'll get a T210 ...

Old 04-16-2008, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

16 threw me off as well - and now that you mention nicknames I know what you're getting at. There also could be more than one answer to a few of these questions.

Great fun...thanks for the contest.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Chris - if you got all the other ones right and the only issue was what you said on #2, I don't have a problem sharing the prize - email me offline to wokr it out.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

When Brian (hey Brian) asked me about this contest I was really thinking it would take folks quite some time to get all of the answers....at least several days. Thanks to those who played and we will have another contest, or contests, next month.....take care

Old 04-16-2008, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd C

OK....let's see those answers (-=

Old 04-16-2008, 10:25 AM
Administrator

I was a little surprised this was completed in the first night as well. I guess I can see it happening though if you just sit down and devote an evening to researching these until you get them all right. I tried to respond pretty quickly when people wrote in so they'd know what questions they still needed to answer correctly. This might have helped speed the game up a little bit as well.

There were a couple questionable questions. #16 and #28 were ones a lot of people had problems with. I won't post the answers or large hints on the board in case people are still working on this for fun, but it seems that for #16, there were conflicting sources and possibly a major source that was just plain innaccurate and for #28, this was a bit confusing because of the way I worded the question and that there may have been multiple teams who came up with idea of "spring training" at roughly the same time.

A lot of the questions I thought were going to be really difficult weren't missed by too many people at all. For instance, I thought questions #10 and 11 were very obscure and "trivial" in nature and would be tough to find answers to but people did. I figured that the inclusion of the phrase "minor league pitcher" would throw people off on question #30 but it really didn't fool anyone.

Lots of really solid entries and everyone seemed happy with this sort of contest so hopefully we'll have another at some point. Thanks again to Matt and everyone else who participated!

Old 04-16-2008, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Zinn

Well, this was fun....

I didn't even get a chance to take it out of my printer. Someone owes me two pieces of printer paper.

Anyway to you Matt.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Steve - give me the address and I'll send the paper right over

The question set is excellent as I learned quite a bit in my hour of research, so give them a shot before you throw them out; there are a few that would make for good discussion.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

Congrats, Matt!!!!
Very,very well done!

all the best,

barry