NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-22-2008, 09:45 AM
Administrator

Default Ebay question???? Auction disappeared??

Posted By: Tony Andrea

Have an Ebay question. I was tracking some cards and had those auctions placed in MY Ebay page
to watch. Woke up this morning and they are gone without a trace. Totally removed from My Ebay
page. I even went into the sellers past auctions and researched them in Ebay's ended auctions and
see no history on them anywhere. Can auctions be zapped by a seller and then have no history of ever been listed.
If so how would they be erased from MY Ebay page without me doing it myself.
Normally when a seller ends an auction you are tracking in My Ebay it will simply show as auction ended but still be saved in your page. Has anyone ever experience this before and can it be done???

Tony

Old 06-22-2008, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

Tony - to the best of my knowledge, the only way for a listing to be "zapped" as you describe is by ebay. A seller can end a listing early, but it's traces will still remain. Ebay makes listings disappear when they violate their TOS.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bottom of the Ninth

They only do that when they suspend a seller.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T E

No, as far as I know a seller can not simply make his listing vannish. Most likel, ebay ended the auction for technical reasons. These can vary from there having been some false or misleading information in the listing to the seller possibly using spam keywords, to copyright infringement issues to even more obscure reasons. I have had auctions ended by ebay because the item was made of an animal on endangered species list, even though the item I was selling was over 100 years old. Ebay even ended an auction I was doing once for a Topps Red back 1957 Planes Sikorsky Helicopter card because some lawyer at Sikorsky said I was infringing on copyright. All I could say was "Huh?" and move on

Tom, EastHamptonAuctions

Old 06-22-2008, 10:08 AM
Administrator

But how would they be erased from my own personal Ebay page without me doing it myself??
Iv'e been on Ebay a long long time and I have never had an auction I'm tracking disappear
without a trace from MY Ebay page unless I were to delete it myself.
Was anyone else tracking or see the two raw T206 Cobb's that were scheduled to end this evening.
They kinda stuck out like a soar thumb so I'm sure someone else saw them.
(Red portrait and bat on pose...)

Old 06-22-2008, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Tony - I was watching those Cobbs as well - ebay "zapped" them.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Matt -
They looked good and so do the remaining raw cards he has.
I even emailed the seller a couple times and had a couple
nice conversations with him....
Just never had auctions erased from My Ebay page even when
Ebay zapps em'.......

Old 06-22-2008, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Tony - I agree that they looked good. Perhaps the T206 Cobb is on ebay's list of cards that may not be listed raw?

Old 06-22-2008, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Maybe they were raw cards on ebay's target list of unacceptable raw cards?

Old 06-22-2008, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Leon -
Is there really such a list??? I wasn't aware of this.
So a seller can't sell a raw T206 Cobb if he has one??
If so that's crazy.......

Old 06-22-2008, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Absolutely there is...It's been posted on the board before. I bet one of our members will be able to find it and post it again? This "list" is a fairly recent ebay phenomenon I believe......

Old 06-22-2008, 10:33 AM
Administrator

I guess what strikes me odd about this list is that I've seen far more valuable raw cards
sold on Ebay than a raw VG T206 red Cobbie Portrait.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:39 AM
Administrator

I think ebay was looking at where the most fraud was not the most expensive cards....Who knows how they make decisions anymore.....well, actually, it's easy....whatever will help their bottom line they will do....regardless of helping buyers or sellers...at least that is the way it looks...

Old 06-22-2008, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Well said......

Old 06-22-2008, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

<<Who knows how they make decisions anymore.....well, actually, it's easy....whatever will help their bottom line they will do>>

Silly capitalists.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:49 AM
Administrator

what's the use?

Old 06-22-2008, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Craig W

Tony,

Here's the list of cards that ebay doesn't allow to be sold raw. It was originally posted by Jamie awhile back.

1. 1979-1980 Wayne Gretzky Rookie Card (O-Pee-Chee and Topps #18)
2. 1966-1967 Bobby Orr Rookie Card (Topps #35)
3. 1986-1987 Michael Jordan Rookie Card (Fleer #57)
4. 1933 Babe Ruth (Goudey - all four)
5. 1951 Mickey Mantle (Bowman #253)
6. 1985-1986 Mario Lemieux Rookie Card (O-Pee-Chee and Topps #9)
7. 1952 Mickey Mantle (Topps #311)
8. 1909 Honus Wagner (T206)
9. 1933 Lou Gehrig (Goudey)
10. 1909 Ty Cobb (T206)
11. 1909 Cy Young (T206)
12. 1909 Eddie Plank (T206)
13. 1988 Maxx Dale Earnhardt

Old 06-22-2008, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bottom of the Ninth

It is eBay's database. How hard is it to imagine that when they remove something it would be removed from your watch list? They only call it My eBay to give you a false sense that you are a part of the community.

Old 06-22-2008, 06:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

<<Silly capitalists.>>

The meaning of my post -- sometimes companies try so hard to make money that they lose money. Ebay is trying to manage the bottom line so much, they are degrading their brand and alienating their core user. This makes ebay, in my opinion, silly capitalists.

Apologies if this was read in any other way.

Brian

Old 06-22-2008, 07:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Randy Trierweiler

Ebay once cancelled 45 auctions I placed because I used the word "want-list" in it. They never gave me a chance to edit them, they never gave me a reply, they never said a word. It was if the auctions never existed. I had to start all 45 over from scratch.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T E

Ebay is not run by humans, and I am not saying that in jest. It is a corporate culture, a corporate think-speak. And it is not new. Example I sighted at top of thread, I had a whole bunch of vendor's pack Topps 1957 red back planes cards. All Near Mint or Mint. I listed a group of them individually. All different aircraft and manufacturers. You know Douglas, Boeing, etc. Well, one day, my auction for the Sikorsky Helicopter card vanishes, along with an email from ebay telling me I may be in copyright infringement.

Of course, that was and is absurd. The card clearly stated on the back that it was copyrighted by Topps, and since we know that Topps would not have contacted ebay on copyright infringement, that left Sikorsky as the only suspect. Some dweeb at Sikorsky, using the new-fangled Google (this was several years ago) came across my use of the Sikorsky name and image and decided that that was CI, despite the fact that Topps owned the copyright on the card.

But there was no avenue for me to appeal. I sent emails, etc, but the people answering them are programed on how they can respond.

So what was I to do? I've got a $5 card, a major corporation's lawyer telling me I am in copyright infringement, and a MEGA corp, upon whom my livelyhood depends, telling me to cease and desist.

There are many more examples, even sillier than the above, which I could sight. It is nothing new. This has been going on for years, since at least 2001 when I became involved with ebay. You only notice it when it affects you. But it has been there all along.

I long ago gave up fighting it. If ebay says I have to authenticate my Cobb red background t206 in order to sell it, so be it.
Tom,
EastHamptonAuctios

Old 06-22-2008, 08:18 PM
Administrator

I once listed a 115 yr old carton of cigarettes and plainly said they were only for collectors and weren't good to smoke. Ebay took it down...I emailed them as I thought I could sell them if certain things were said in the description. They emailed me an apology and said after further review my item was not against rules.....but they still zapped it before saying anything to me......regards