NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-24-2019, 08:58 AM

Default OMG - The Hits Just Keep Rolling - some good Mojo

Initially, I was very bummed I would not make the national. But then Heritage came out with part 1 of the Hall collection, and my appetite was satiated. But then, BAM:

Memory Lane starts today, and holy crap do they have some amazing cards, especially in the T206 arena.

And REA starts in a few days. Goldin is currently running an auction, as is Heritage (with more awesome stuff), and soon Sterling and LOTG open up. The hits just keep rolling -- there are no dog days of summer in card collecting

I will not be at the national this year. And, I have sworn off PWCC. But there is tons to navigate even with these two avenues closed. Seems that card collecting is strong as ever, which I am fine with - indeed happy about - and plenty of outlets to find them.

So as the national approaches and all these auctions start, especially with all this drama and scandal going on and plugging up the message boards, I wanted to drop a line to say:

I love Cards!!

Anyone else -- good summer vibes sought on this thread

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 07-29-2019 at 07:48 AM.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:02 AM
Jay Cee

Amen to that! There are some amazing items that have been recently auctioned or are coming up on the auction block. Time to shift the percentage of my investments to more of the collectble side!
Old 07-24-2019, 09:02 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Initially, I was very bummed I would not make the national. But then Heritage came out with part 1 of the Hall collection, and my appetite was satiated. But then, BAM:

Memory Land starts today, and holy crap do they have some amazing cards, especially in the T206 arena.

And REA starts in a few days. Goldin is currently running an auction, as is Heritage (with more awesome stuff), and soon Sterling and LOTG open up. The hits just keep rolling -- there are no dog days of summer in card collecting

I will not be at the national this year. And, I have sworn off PWCC. But there is tons to navigate even with these two avenues closed. Seems that card collecting is strong as ever, which I am fine with - indeed happy about - and plenty of outlets to find them.

So as the national approaches and all these auctions start, especially with all this drama and scandal going on and plugging up the message boards, I wanted to drop a line to say:

I love Cards!!

sounds like some PWCC cards are making their way to other auctions....its not like PWCC doesnt have nice cards..
Old 07-24-2019, 09:08 AM
Peter Spaeth

Anyone who thinks just avoiding PWCC is going to protect them against altered cards is, sadly to say, terribly mistaken. Not directed at Ryan, just a general observation.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-24-2019 at 09:13 AM.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:13 AM
Patr1ck Mu111N5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Anyone who thinks just avoiding PWCC is going to protect them against altered cards is, sadly to say, terribly mistaken.
Agree. Confirmed not only with the great work at Blowout, but also Joe Orlando's statement he released in this month's SMR.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:17 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MULLINS5 View Post
Agree. Confirmed not only with the great work at Blowout, but also Joe Orlando's statement he released in this month's SMR.
Today, I'm the president and CEO of PSA's parent company and I don't agree with every card, autograph or bat grade issued ... and that's OK. As a collector, I don't have to. Why? Because I don't have to buy it. We have choices, which is part of what makes collecting so much fun. As an individual, I am entitled to an opinion too and it's OK if my personal standard differs from a third-party service. Their job isn't to confirm my opinion; it's to render their own.

Like most other industries, ours contains a fraction of people who choose to do nothing more than complain about how third-party systems are imperfect, instead of offering feasible or logical ways of making it better. Their expectation of human-based opinion services is simply unattainable. There are realities and limitations to what any third-party service can do.

If it were up to them, there would be no umpires in baseball either, because these men don't get every ball and strike call correct. Card and coin graders, like umpires, must make decisions repeatedly in a relatively short period of time. They do the best job they can, but like all people, they are not perfect. They can only judge what they see in front of them and interpret what their eyes are observing. Grading is not conducted in a science lab. It is simply humans looking at collectibles.

The train left the station a long time ago. You can choose to get on board and take the ride, which can occasionally get bumpy along the way, or get left behind with delusions that somehow returning to the Wild West of the 1980s is better than what collectors have today. If you prefer to collect raw cards, that's OK. There are many ways to enjoy our wonderful hobby.

In the meantime, the beat goes on. After 20 years at the company and a lifetime in this hobby, there are a few things I know. There will always be challenges that our hobby will have to face and, unfortunately, there will also be those who choose to spread fear and ignorance. For those of us who love the hobby, there will always be opportunities to improve it by engaging in civil discourse.

More importantly, third-party authentication and grading is here to stay. It makes the hobby better, even though no system will ever be perfect.

Never get cheated,

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Anyone who thinks just avoiding PWCC is going to protect them against altered cards is, sadly to say, terribly mistaken. Not directed at Ryan, just a general observation.
I agree. I never thought that. And I was very aware before all this that many cards have been touched and sit in flips. I am avoiding PWCC bc I don’t like them, not bc I think it ensures I get untouched cards.

Good mojo people!
Old 07-24-2019, 09:19 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I agree. I never thought that. And I was very aware before all this that many cards have been touched and sit in flips. I am avoiding PWCC bc I don’t like them, not bc I think it ensures I get untouched cards.

Good mojo people!
Be careful out there.

Old 07-24-2019, 09:22 AM
John Wondowski

Any day that we get to play with old cardboard with old baseball players on it is a good day!
Old 07-24-2019, 09:23 AM
Patr1ck Mu111N5

That statement is worthy of it's own thread. I'll let someone else do the honors if they so choose.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:21 AM
Banned

it’s like he’s trolling the hobby with that last sentence.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:42 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 View Post
it’s like he’s trolling the hobby with that last sentence.
Maybe, but it's true! .... (double trolling )
I was recently excited about picking up that low grade, common red Cobby. The hobby can still be fun. We just have to be a bit more careful.
And what's a thread without a card? It is probably not restored or conserved. If it is trimmed or altered (I don't think it is), I don't care.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ptunc1911pinkertonmack.jpg (66.2 KB, 884 views)
Old 07-24-2019, 11:03 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Today, I'm the president and CEO of PSA's parent company and I don't agree with every card, autograph or bat grade issued ... and that's OK. As a collector, I don't have to. Why? Because I don't have to buy it. We have choices, which is part of what makes collecting so much fun. As an individual, I am entitled to an opinion too and it's OK if my personal standard differs from a third-party service. Their job isn't to confirm my opinion; it's to render their own.

Like most other industries, ours contains a fraction of people who choose to do nothing more than complain about how third-party systems are imperfect, instead of offering feasible or logical ways of making it better. Their expectation of human-based opinion services is simply unattainable. There are realities and limitations to what any third-party service can do.

If it were up to them, there would be no umpires in baseball either, because these men don't get every ball and strike call correct. Card and coin graders, like umpires, must make decisions repeatedly in a relatively short period of time. They do the best job they can, but like all people, they are not perfect. They can only judge what they see in front of them and interpret what their eyes are observing. Grading is not conducted in a science lab. It is simply humans looking at collectibles.

The train left the station a long time ago. You can choose to get on board and take the ride, which can occasionally get bumpy along the way, or get left behind with delusions that somehow returning to the Wild West of the 1980s is better than what collectors have today. If you prefer to collect raw cards, that's OK. There are many ways to enjoy our wonderful hobby.

In the meantime, the beat goes on. After 20 years at the company and a lifetime in this hobby, there are a few things I know. There will always be challenges that our hobby will have to face and, unfortunately, there will also be those who choose to spread fear and ignorance. For those of us who love the hobby, there will always be opportunities to improve it by engaging in civil discourse.

More importantly, third-party authentication and grading is here to stay. It makes the hobby better, even though no system will ever be perfect.

Never get cheated,

Ooooh goody, another meaningless statement. I LOVE these.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 07-24-2019, 11:09 AM
Peter Spaeth

The corporate culture and attitude, which took its direction from David Hall initially and then Joe, is in my opinion vile. Time to write another formulaic piece on another big dollar collector with stacks of altered cards, I think. That's who they cater to anyhow.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-24-2019 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:12 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
I’m explore Mr. Orlando to take a look before and after on the 144 Goudey Ruth

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?p=14874068

Your experts graders are not experts, they’re Opinion Renders ...your Statement above confirms that’s all your company does, renders a Opinion, nothing more, nothing less...the link above proves they’re not experts, they’re amateurs with inaccurate opinions. Please cut Marketing them as experts. I now call them “Opinion Renders”. Their opinion is now worthless to me.

I Won’t be Cheated any further.

Last edited by Johnny630; 07-24-2019 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:14 AM
Peter Spaeth

Your expectation is unattainable. Stop spreading fear and ignorance.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-24-2019 at 11:14 AM.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:23 AM
je.sse @rnot

It didn't take long for this thread to turn negative despite the OP's request for good vibes.

I thought about trying to make the national this year but it wasn't looking good with scheduling and I decided with all of these auctions running I would take the funds I might have spent on the trip and put them towards a card. Hopefully I can find the one I've been looking for.

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 07-24-2019 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
I actually largely agree with what he says about the grade a card receives as being an opinion. It is, so long as the card is not manipulated/altered/conserved/restored/etc. However, what is disappointing is he does not acknowledge the mistakes made or, even more importantly, assure people who rely on his company to identify altered cards that they will take steps to improve in the future.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:29 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejharrington View Post
I actually largely agree with what he says about the grade a card receives as being an opinion. It is, so long as the card is not manipulated/altered/conserved/restored/etc. However, what is disappointing is he does not acknowledge the mistakes made or, even more importantly, assure people who rely on his company to identify altered cards that they will take steps to improve in the future.
Well said sir !!!
Old 07-24-2019, 11:35 AM

Ryan, great original post. I'm excited too.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:42 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Now if all the auction houses would just put out a preview so everyone didn't overspend on things they didn't really need.
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 07-24-2019, 11:46 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejharrington View Post
Sorry, I've made that point so often I just assume that's what everybody sees regardless of what words I use. Pretty much exactly how I feel, and without addressing CONCRETE, OBJECTIVE errors his company has made I'm not really interested in his blather about the subjective differences people may have on grades received.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 07-24-2019, 12:03 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
I’m explore Mr. Orlando to take a look before and after on the 144 Goudey Ruth

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?p=14874068

Your experts graders are not experts, they’re Opinion Renders ...your Statement above confirms that’s all your company does, renders a Opinion, nothing more, nothing less...the link above proves they’re not experts, they’re amateurs with inaccurate opinions. Please cut Marketing them as experts. I now call them “Opinion Renders”. Their opinion is now worthless to me.

I Won’t be Cheated any further.
How could this Babe Ruth Goudey abomination not be commented on further?

That may be the worst and most amateurish attempt at concealing an erasure mark that I have ever seen. It is a glaringly horrific cover-up, stands out like a sore thumb, and the fact that PSA missed it is very hard to believe.

I am so sick of hearing how talented and sophisticated the fraudsters and card doctors have become... and that it is nearly impossible for PSA to detect their advanced methods. That is such BS.... find a simple ruler and spend more than 5 seconds on the damned card, or stop giving favorable treatment to your partners in crime. Just pick which one applies (or both!)

It will be quite interesting to see what the FBI uncovers in upcoming weeks. I am believing less and less in the ineptitude/incompetence theory... there has to be more. And the timing of Orlando's most recent meaningless letter is strikingly reminiscent of the "Conservation Letter" Huigens released just before the sh*t hit the fan.

Last edited by perezfan; 07-24-2019 at 12:24 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:07 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Scott, I believe that the corporate term for Orlando's statement is "damage-control statement."
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:07 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
How could this Babe Ruth Goudey abomination not be commented on further?

That is the worst and most amateurish attempt at concealing an erasure mark that I have ever seen. It is a glaringly horrific cover-up, stands out like a sore thumb, and the fact that PSA missed it is very hard to believe.

I am so sick of hearing how talented and sophisticated the fraudsters and card doctors have become... and that it is nearly impossible for PSA to detect their advanced methods. That is complete BS... spend more than 5 seconds on the damned card, or stop giving favorable treatment to your partners in crime!

It will be quite interesting to see what the FBI uncovers in upcoming weeks. I am believing less and less in the ineptitude/incompetence theory... there has to be more. And the timing of Orlando's idiotic letter is strikingly reminiscent of the "Conservation Letter" Huigens released just before the sh*t hit the fan.
Yes 100% agree this was the worst card I’ve seen so far !!!
Total Disgrace along with his shameful comments this morning...
His arrogance in his Ironclad Defense of Opinion Only Services is a strait up Up Yours move along this will pass to the Industry.

Last edited by Johnny630; 07-24-2019 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:31 PM
John Wondowski

Quote:

Memory Land starts today, and holy crap do they have some amazing cards, especially in the T206 arena.

I love Cards!!

Don't forget a good mix of stuff at Huggins & Scott starting Friday!
Old 07-24-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
Now if all the auction houses would just put out a preview so everyone didn't overspend on things they didn't really need.
Amen brother!!

And, if you want to talk about PSA or PWCC, fine - just please do it on another thread. It would be nice to have one F-ing thread that wasn't about PSA and PWCC.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:38 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Amen brother!!

And, if you want to talk about PSA or PWCC, fine - just please do it on another thread. It would be nice to have one F-ing thread that wasn't about PSA and PWCC.
Fair enough... and sorry that I was one of the violators on this particular thread.

There is indeed a ton of exciting activity right around the corner, and most of it is great legitimate merchandise.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:24 PM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

I agree that there's no shortage of great cards in the up coming auctions. Before you know it, David Hall Part 2 will be on the auction block also. I won't be going to the National this year either and was feeling down about it also but as it gets closer, I really don't feel as bad. Not sure why. Lets keep the positive vibe going.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 07-25-2019, 09:21 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Don't forget about photos, RMY open too and some great ones.

Already reserved time tomorrow morning to go through REA.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:29 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post

Can we get a petition to make the day the auction opens a holiday, so everyone can browse without worrying about work. Seems like a simple way to make the world a better place
Old 07-26-2019, 07:01 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

We interrupt this thread for a moment of pure baseball bliss:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Xq3hEMUeBGQ

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 07-26-2019, 01:05 PM
$cott Cl1nt0n

REA is open.
Old 07-26-2019, 01:07 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

REA & Huggins--both the same day.
Its a good day in the neighborhood.
REA has got me so thrilled and overjoyed with excitement.
Old 07-26-2019, 01:11 PM
Andy

So many incredible cards!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
REA & Huggins--both the same day.
Its a good day in the neighborhood.
REA has got me so thrilled and overjoyed with excitement.
Old 07-28-2019, 06:28 PM
John Wondowski

Too many cards; not enough dollars!!! The hobby is fun; non illegitimi carborundum.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:38 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post

We have our first ever photography auction coming up in a couple weeks too!

Old 07-28-2019, 08:52 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Oh cool, looking forward to seeing it.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:36 PM
Aaron
A.aron Hein.eman

Good Sumer Vibes here in WA State. Sun finally, without the rain! Cruised the 59 Fleetwood early this morning. Later hit the batting cage at the neghibors with my son.-pun intended. Over all a stellar day. Then.... got a note from a net54 member who has been looking for some cards for me and he is thinking about a price. I have been wanting these cards for 17 years could not have been a much better day!

Iree Iree