NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-19-2021, 11:10 AM
Drew W@i$e

Default How many cards is PSA getting at the $150 level?

I enjoy seeing the net54 post about how the backlog at PSA is going. My question is the flip side… anyone know how many cards (either daily, weekly or monthly) PSA is getting at the $150 level?

Would like this data point to see if/when PSA will open up lower levels. If they are getting large submissions and making money at the $150 level, I imagine they would be reluctant to open up lower levels anytime soon.

Funny, I remember talking to a card dealer when PSA effectively shut down submission in March. My initial thought was that this shut down would last a few months, be back to normal by fall. The card dealer told me that “this is the end of submissions under $100”. I laughed it off.

Seven months later, I am no longer laughing and am concerned this is the new normal.
Old 10-19-2021, 11:16 AM
P@trick R.omolo

I don't know but they are still a year behind on the group subs despite shutting down the lower level submissions 7 months ago. The last group sub I was in took 3 months just to log in.

Last edited by Pat R; 10-19-2021 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-19-2021, 11:22 AM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
I don't know but they are still a year behind on the group subs despite shutting down the lower level submissions 7 months ago. The last group sub I was in took 3 months just to log in.
Thanks, the backlog is another concern I have about levels. If it is taking them this long to get back to people, do they want to start that process all over again?
Old 10-19-2021, 11:26 AM
Glyn Parson

Default They will eventually be back

No way $100 minimum is the new normal
Forever. Not going to happen. They know Long term they need the registry. Which requires some cheaper services. It may never be $5 a card again but it will get below a hundred someday.

Last edited by glynparson; 10-19-2021 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-19-2021, 11:27 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post
Thanks, the backlog is another concern I have about levels. If it is taking them this long to get back to people, do they want to start that process all over again?
I am guessing people are now hoarding massive numbers of cards waiting for a lower pricing tier to open. I would imagine that unless they can somehow stagger or limit it, there will be an absolute flood of new submissions the day they open up a tier.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-19-2021, 11:34 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

They're probably not going to tell us the numbers for that. It's sorta like showing your hand in poker. But we do know that they dropped the price from $200 to $150 to increase demand for Express submissions, so they must have felt they weren't getting enough volume at $200. Obviously $150 increases that demand, but probably not substantially. They can't sustain the business at the $150 level, they can only milk us for it while they continue to hack away at the backlog. Regardless, Nat Turner recently said that they will be reopening at least one more service level at some point in Q4. In the past, they've typically made big changes on the 1st of the month, so I would expect to see Regular service reopened, possibly at the $100 level?, on either Nov 1st or Dec 1st. That's my best guess.
Old 10-19-2021, 11:34 AM
Ch@d

I've also been amazed at how long this has gone on, and how many cards are being submitted at $150 per.

The interesting part of this to me is that anything at $30/card and up pretty much means the end of grading commons, thus the end of graded set collecting. Graded set collecting is what built the registry, and there seems to be a broad consensus that PSA leads the industry, and gets a premium due to the registry. So if we're seeing the end of grading commons, and thus graded sets, what does that mean for the registry, and ultimately for PSA's leadership position? Maybe the registry will somehow continue to thrive with only $100+ cards? Who knows where this ends?
successful deals with hcv123, rholmes, robw1959, Yankees1964, theuclakid, Brian Van Horn, h2oya311, thecapeleague, Gkoz316, chesbro41, edjs, wazoo, becollie, t206kid, vintageismygame, Neal, bradmar48, iconsportscards, wrapperguy, agrebene, T3fan, T3s, ccre, Leon, wolf441, cammb, tonyo, markf31,gonzo,scmavl & others

currently working on:
E101 (33/50)
T3 set (104/104), complete!
T205 set (108/221)
'33 Goudey
collecting W600s, Walter Johnson
Old 10-19-2021, 11:36 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

There is no scenario whatsoever where they don't eventually offer submissions below $100. There's no scenario whatsoever that they don't eventually reopen service levels at $50 or below either. Some people are just stupid. Don't listen to stupid people.
Old 10-19-2021, 11:45 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I am guessing people are now hoarding massive numbers of cards waiting for a lower pricing tier to open. I would imagine that unless they can somehow stagger or limit it, there will be an absolute flood of new submissions the day they open up a tier.
+1 Agree

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 10-19-2021, 11:48 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
+1 Agree
modern cards mostly I'd guess?
Old 10-19-2021, 11:55 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
No way $100 minimum is the new normal
Forever. Not going to happen. They know Long term they need the registry. Which requires some cheaper services. It may never be $5 a card again but it will get below a hundred someday.
I predict $50 as the eventual lowest level but who knows. Even at that level, there are a shit ton of cards people used to submit routinely that they won't any more.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-19-2021 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-19-2021, 12:02 PM
Scott Russell

I know I have thousands of vintage cards where consignors are content to wait until an appropriate level opens at PSA rather than go with another company. Maybe a quarter of those would be worth it at $100, the rest will need something in the $50 range or a bulk option. My consignors, to this point, are willing to wait.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 10-19-2021, 12:24 PM
J@mes In.gram

Some things, like baseballs, photos, programs, jerseys and all sorts of memorabilia of the like are obvious, and grading, per se, really isn't necessary or in some cases even done. But say you have a raw 1933 Goudey Ruth, or a 1952 Topps Mays, or next level down, a 1965 Topps Koufax. Say you have no graded cards, and know nothing about the card grading process. What are your options at this point? How long does the grading process take? What does it cost to get a card, or cards, graded?
Old 10-19-2021, 12:27 PM
Peter Spaeth

That information should be readily available on each grading company's website.

Old 10-19-2021, 12:45 PM
J@mes In.gram

Then why are you guys here talking through a thread about how long it takes and how much it costs, if it is so readily available?
Old 10-19-2021, 12:51 PM

i dont know WTF is going on... but Mac Jones football donruss rookie is worth about $6.00 and PSA10 is going for $350? only cause there are 2? what happens when there are 10000 in 2 years

it makes no sense. The card came out 2 months ago

Quote:
I enjoy seeing the net54 post about how the backlog at PSA is going. My question is the flip side… anyone know how many cards (either daily, weekly or monthly) PSA is getting at the $150 level?

Would like this data point to see if/when PSA will open up lower levels. If they are getting large submissions and making money at the $150 level, I imagine they would be reluctant to open up lower levels anytime soon.

Funny, I remember talking to a card dealer when PSA effectively shut down submission in March. My initial thought was that this shut down would last a few months, be back to normal by fall. The card dealer told me that “this is the end of submissions under $100”. I laughed it off.

Seven months later, I am no longer laughing and am concerned this is the new normal.
Old 10-19-2021, 01:03 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
Then why are you guys here talking through a thread about how long it takes and how much it costs, if it is so readily available?
The thread is about whether and when the current pricing at PSA is likely to change.

Old 10-19-2021, 01:06 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboosted92 View Post
i dont know WTF is going on... but Mac Jones football donruss rookie is worth about $6.00 and PSA10 is going for $350? only cause there are 2? what happens when there are 10000 in 2 years

it makes no sense. The card came out 2 months ago
Flip power!!!

Old 10-19-2021, 01:43 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
The thread is about whether and when the current pricing at PSA is likely to change.
Are you just not capable of answering simple questions about pricing, or length of time for a submittal to go through? Am I just too low on the totem pole here?
Old 10-19-2021, 02:00 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Are you just not capable of answering simple questions about pricing, or length of time for a submittal to go through? Am I just too low on the totem pole here?
You asked generally what are the options for grading cards. That isn't a short answer. There are several major grading companies and at least two new ones. They all have different tiered pricing, different expected turnaround times at each level. I don't know all this information. I don't submit myself. I don't even know all the service levels at PSA or their turnaround times, much less at all the other companies such as SGC and Beckett. Just go to the website(s), why can't you do that?

This is like the post the other day where a guy asked, is so and so a member here, when all he had to do was look at the members list.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-19-2021 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-19-2021, 02:08 PM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Some things, like baseballs, photos, programs, jerseys and all sorts of memorabilia of the like are obvious, and grading, per se, really isn't necessary or in some cases even done. But say you have a raw 1933 Goudey Ruth, or a 1952 Topps Mays, or next level down, a 1965 Topps Koufax. Say you have no graded cards, and know nothing about the card grading process. What are your options at this point? How long does the grading process take? What does it cost to get a card, or cards, graded?
Right now the express level ($150 a card) is about a 1 month wait.

https://www.psacard.com/pricing
Old 10-19-2021, 02:20 PM
Johnny MaZilli

I’m all for high service rates and short term around times over lower rates with long lengthy turn around times. Grading is great but it’s not a necessity it’s a luxury. I feel PSA has done a really good job with this re-opening of the phases I suspect November or December maybe down to 100 or 125 I’m more than fine with that.
Old 10-19-2021, 02:27 PM

Just some input, FWIW. As nice vintage stuff blew up in price, I can only afford a very occasional item.

However, I still want to be an active collector, very much enjoy the hobby. Last year I assembled a lot of 100 and a lot of 50 to send to PSA the very end of last year. They were modern submissions primarily of serial numbered cards of Steph Curry, Giannis, & Mike Trout. All cards submitted were from ebay raw purchases. Of course, I only sent in what I thought had a chance at a 10, and kept the rest as raw. I recently got them back with a very nice GEM MINT rate little over 50%. It was fun accumulating, and fun finally getting them back all 9's and 10's. My hobby bug was satisfied moving in this direction rather than oogling over vintage I could rarely afford.

Now, if PSA doesn't eventually offer something in the neighborhood of a $20-30. submission tier, then I will be shut out of even this type submission - won't be happy.

I really hope PSA opens back up a reasonable priced tier to accept the $10.-100. value raw cards. My guess is they will, but limit the number of cards any one person may submit. Therefore, they won't get overwhelmed with dealers and case breakers sending in bjillions at a time. They would also keep the registry commons viable for set and registry collectors.
Old 10-19-2021, 02:34 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

They recieved 45000 in march all over $150
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SmartSelect_20211019-163345_Chrome.jpg (51.6 KB, 642 views)

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 10-19-2021, 02:38 PM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
They recieved 45000 in march all over $150
'

Thanks. What about April - October?
Old 10-19-2021, 02:38 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
'

Thanks. What about April - October?
Hasnt been updated

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Old 10-19-2021, 02:40 PM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
They're probably not going to tell us the numbers for that. It's sorta like showing your hand in poker. But we do know that they dropped the price from $200 to $150 to increase demand for Express submissions, so they must have felt they weren't getting enough volume at $200. Obviously $150 increases that demand, but probably not substantially. They can't sustain the business at the $150 level, they can only milk us for it while they continue to hack away at the backlog. Regardless, Nat Turner recently said that they will be reopening at least one more service level at some point in Q4. In the past, they've typically made big changes on the 1st of the month, so I would expect to see Regular service reopened, possibly at the $100 level?, on either Nov 1st or Dec 1st. That's my best guess.
I can see the $100 level soon. But the other levels soon? Not so sure.

Has Nat made a statement about PSA recently? I can't find anything.

Last edited by parkplace33; 10-19-2021 at 02:40 PM.
Old 10-19-2021, 02:40 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Bingo!!! I've got two long boxes of raw. Not junk either. We are talking, Honus Wagners, Jackie Robinson, Willie Mays, Mickey Mantle, etc. Not worth enough to pay $100 per card, not worth enough to pay $30 a card, but worth enough to pay $10 a card.
Old 10-19-2021, 02:46 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Bingo!!! I've got two long boxes of raw. Not junk either. We are talking, Honus Wagners, Jackie Robinson, Willie Mays, Mickey Mantle, etc. Not worth enough to pay $100 per card, not worth enough to pay $30 a card, but worth enough to pay $10 a card.
I suggest you look elsewhere my friend. I cannot imagine PSA is ever coming back to 10 buck subs.

Old 10-19-2021, 03:37 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
THAT is basically where I was going with my questions.
Old 10-19-2021, 03:56 PM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

It's a fascinating topic. My own guess is that collectors hoping for a return to $10 grading from PSA will never have their hopes realized (unless we see a total collapse in prices, in which case they may change their minds about submitting).
Old 10-19-2021, 04:06 PM

$20 seems like the lowest possible number they'd go for some type of bulk submission with likely very long waits on return.

as someone said, the set registry for commons is key to all this.

Last edited by hockeyhockey; 10-19-2021 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10-19-2021, 04:37 PM
mŞttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

The only way I see $20 or lower coming back is with literally 2-3 year wait times. Totally not worth it to me.
Old 10-19-2021, 05:48 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
id think wagners would be worth more than $10 to grade...unless youre talkin' 76 topps?
Old 10-19-2021, 07:40 PM
Drew W@i$e

This is from the March update

https://www.psacard.com/articles/art...ate-april-2021

We will take a tiered approach to reintroducing these service levels. Our goal is to bring all suspended service levels back by July 1, 2021.

😕
Old 10-20-2021, 09:27 AM
�tis J�hns�n

I sent in a $150 submission last month. I got it back in 23 days door to door.
Old 10-20-2021, 10:40 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Just collect raw cards and save yourself the headaches. When you look to sell, if ever, send in the cards that merit it. Or better yet, have the AH handle it instead.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 10-20-2021, 11:04 AM
mŞttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

I'm currently 10 days into an express submission. Time will tell...
Old 10-20-2021, 11:08 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggs336 View Post
I sent in a $150 submission last month. I got it back in 23 days door to door.
That's quick, I'd be very pleased with 23 days door to door :-)
Old 10-20-2021, 11:12 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I have a stack of low grade prewar cards for resale that I'm hoping to send to PSA some day. I could be dreaming, but I'm hoping for a standards price for cards with a declared value of less than $100 at $10/card, and a Collector Club or bulk special at $8/card. If the prices are higher than that, then it's really not worth sending in since these cards are probably only worth $20-$25 each at best.
Old 10-20-2021, 11:18 AM
Peter Spaeth

4 Sharp Corners for years sent in massive numbers of cards that even in high grade holders weren't worth much. Cards you don't really expect to see graded. Obviously, the model worked for them. One wonders if PSA really has cut them off or is still taking care of them behind the scenes, as such a major customer.

Old 10-20-2021, 12:04 PM
Chase

Quote:
4 Sharp Corners for years sent in massive numbers of cards that even in high grade holders weren't worth much. Cards you don't really expect to see graded. Obviously, the model worked for them. One wonders if PSA really has cut them off or is still taking care of them behind the scenes, as such a major customer.
As of 2 months ago PSA was still taking care of some of the larger auction houses, from all appearances. Not seeing 4SC sending those emails every Mon telling us they just added 10,000 cards to their inventory. Just cannot see a scenario where they extended suspensions to everyone. Think it was intended to slow the masses down.
Old 10-20-2021, 02:01 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

As one who had had a bulk submission with PSA since May 2020, I really no longer care about any new submission rates. Their arrogant attitude and sloppy management, coupled with the time value of money and reduced cash flows, means I am through with them. Any new card grading will, by default, now go to SGC, and I have no interest in any of the new grading cos.
Old 10-20-2021, 08:28 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
As of 2 months ago PSA was still taking care of some of the larger auction houses, from all appearances. Not seeing 4SC sending those emails every Mon telling us they just added 10,000 cards to their inventory. Just cannot see a scenario where they extended suspensions to everyone. Think it was intended to slow the masses down.
There you go again with this nonsense. Nobody is asking whether or not bulk submitters like the major auction houses still get their discounts on Express service and higher. We're talking about the cheap bulk value tier services below $20 per card. If you want to keep perpetuating this falsehood about certain customers still being able to submit at these lower-level tiers, perhaps you should show some evidence of this claim. The fact that you repeat it does not make it true.
Old 10-20-2021, 11:59 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
There you go again with this nonsense. Nobody is asking whether or not bulk submitters like the major auction houses still get their discounts on Express service and higher. We're talking about the cheap bulk value tier services below $20 per card. If you want to keep perpetuating this falsehood about certain customers still being able to submit at these lower-level tiers, perhaps you should show some evidence of this claim. The fact that you repeat it does not make it true.
You, again? I am flattered by the attention you pay me. I forgot that only you can make posts about the inner operations of PSA, eBay, SGC and PWCC. I will stay in my lane.
Old 10-21-2021, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
I have a stack of low grade prewar cards for resale that I'm hoping to send to PSA some day. I could be dreaming, but I'm hoping for a standards price for cards with a declared value of less than $100 at $10/card, and a Collector Club or bulk special at $8/card. If the prices are higher than that, then it's really not worth sending in since these cards are probably only worth $20-$25 each at best.
The days of $8-10 subs are likely gone. Even before they shut down, the bulk price was $12, then $20 for a hot minute before they shut down.
Old 10-21-2021, 05:13 PM
�tis J�hns�n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D. View Post
The days of $8-10 subs are likely gone. Even before they shut down, the bulk price was $12, then $20 for a hot minute before they shut down.
I participated in a PSA survey some months ago. There were dozens of hypothetical prices and service levels and delivery times thrown out in all sorts of combinations.
I certainly don't remember all the possible permutations, but I remember clearly that the lowest price point being considered in any scenario was $30.
Old 10-22-2021, 02:06 PM
ja.mes na.higian

Default My PSA info

Quote:
$20 seems like the lowest possible number they'd go for some type of bulk submission with likely very long waits on return
I may have stated this on another thread a week or two ago....I have it in writing from somebody near the top of the food chain at PSA that my bulk waiver sub pricing would go to $20 per card when they "open" up bulk waiver subs again (and in early 2021 was told likely by this Fall - Ha!). They said the price could be as low as $18 per card as long as I did $100K in submissions annually.

Personally, I will never ever get near $100K in submissions as at $18 per card as that equates to 5,555.556 cards.

Have had discussions with Cosetta about how this kills most all of us Set Registry nerds, and back in May she was still distraught at how they had no resolution for us/her regarding this now difficult issue. I have not followed up with her on an update of late, but likely will soon.
Old 10-23-2021, 02:06 PM

Just to give an update on timing, I just got back my “value modern” sub that arrived at PSA on 11/18/20 the other day (10/22/21). It didn’t get accepted to PSA until early Feb.
Old 10-23-2021, 02:13 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

My "varies by demand" cards that ARE ALREADY psa graded, but back for card grade, passed a year this week. Still a few months away