NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-24-2004, 08:39 AM
Administrator

Default Baseball ticket values

Posted By: runscott

I have a friend who has two original tickets from the first game played at Atlanta Fulton County stadium - any idea as to value? Is there a resource for determining value of old baseball tickets?

Old 06-24-2004, 09:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

are they full ot stubs? what condition? in either case, they have value (you're welcome ). older tickets do not surface very often...i would guestimate that a full would be worth $100-$250 (that's a huge range, but again they don't surface often) and a stub is maybe worth $50-$100.

Old 06-24-2004, 09:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

Scott--My experience has only been with Clemens game win tickets but I would be surprised if these tickets were worth much at all. Even as full tickets I would guess that they are worth maybe $50 each, if that much. The ticket market is very inefficient, especially on modern stuff. A dealer might ask $100 for one of these but if you went on ebay I doubt you could sell it for anywhere near that price. Plus this year the Braves suck so there is probably even less interet in them.

Old 06-24-2004, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

It's World Series or All-Star or either very old tickets or tickets from important games, I agree with Jay that the market is pretty wild on tickets. If you find someone who is just looking for that item, great. I've had WS and AS tickets that sell well on ebay and this might be an item that would have value. I'd list it with a nice reserve and just see where the market takes you. Or list it for $9.99 and hope the market goes where the market goes. I'm sure there are a number of people out there searching for tickets that it'll get a few bids. There's always this guy at the national who basically has only tickets. EVERY W.S. game and All-Star and Super Bowl. Some of them are absolutely beautiful tickets. Good luck with the ticket.

Old 06-24-2004, 10:04 AM
Administrator

The tickets belong to my Fedex delivery guy - he stopped by today and said he had found them digging around through his Dad's old stuff. There are two of them, and he thinks they are entire tickets. I told him $50-120 as a wild guess, but that there was bound to be expertise on this board, so thanks!

Tom, hope you didn't mind helping out a member of the competition!

Old 06-24-2004, 10:53 AM
Administrator

there are team collectors, and what your fed ex guy has is rare. if you start ebay 9.99, you may not have two people willing to pay high...but this is a great example of an item that should command a high starting bid. to a true braves collector, $50 bucks????????? i don't think so. if this were an opening day ticket, no big deal...but the first fulton county game...that is a big deal-to the RIGHT collector. uncommon rare tickets are profitable, more so than all star and world series...supply vs. demand.

Old 06-24-2004, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

I agree it's a great item, but Fulton County stadium was HUGE....probably 60K or so--right? So there were probably a buttload of tickets. Although, it may have been a sellout on opening night, so full tickets might command a significant premium over stubs..........

Old 06-24-2004, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: prewarsports

I just sold a white Sox program and ticket from a regular seaon game where a guy threw a no-hitter, on ebay. I figured about $20-$30 and it cleared $120 and the ticket was stapled to the program. It all depends on who wants it and how many there are out there. Tom's point is well taken though, if 60K people attended the game, then chances are it is near the lower end.

Old 06-25-2004, 07:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

There is a big difference in the value of tickets to expected events versus unexpected events. A no hitter is an unexpected event. People don't plan in advance to get these tickets. The opening of a stadium is an expected event and fans will want a souvenir of it. I would expect that there are "lots" of tickets to the opening of a new ballpark around.

Old 06-25-2004, 07:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

I attended both Wells' and Cone's perfect games in 1998 and 1999. Imagine my surprise when I found a discarded ticket stub on the ground after each game. So, I got two ticket stubs from each game in the end.

Old 06-25-2004, 08:17 AM
Administrator

agreed, unplanned events i.e. no hitter vs world series are worth more...sometimes much more. and i also agree with tom, a stub may be somewhat worthless...but a pair of full tickets would be huge. i'm sure opening night was sold out and if not that only left season ticket holders, who did not attend and perhaps a few more for whatever reason. but that was before collectors were seriously saving tickets.
i've sold a kerry wood twenty strikeout game full season ticket for $175 on ebay. the game was mid-week, the cubs were garbage at the time, there were plenty of unused season tickets from that game...however the tickets have not surfaced, which leads me to assume that; even in today's highten sense of collectable items (i refer to the joker...sorry if you're a board member ... who bought 6000 $2 win tickets, for the belmont, on smarty jones...all to sell on ebay), the average person does not save this sort of thing with the idea that it is valuable.
the braves tickets (if they're full) belong in mastro or such. that's a big ticket braves item...no pun intended

Old 06-25-2004, 08:26 AM
Administrator

and yes, i agree with jay...there are plenty first game tickets around from jacobs field, safeco, etc....but how many from the vet, fulton, candlestick??? those have got to be very scarce...anybody got one? i do collect tickets, not opening day or opening venues specifically...but i think they're very scarce.

Old 06-25-2004, 08:33 AM
Administrator

I understand that "no hitter" extra-ticket surprise. I attended Nolan Ryan's last no-hitter - back then Wynn Dixie (supermarket) used to give out free tickets to some games, and this was one of them. I found three full tickets discarded after the game, and was able to surprise my brother and some friends.

Old 06-25-2004, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Full tickets from games since the 80s, and especially the 90s, are not uncommon at all. Especially for improtant or historic games. It seems that the clubs always have hundreds, if not thousands of tickets sitting around, even if the game is sold out.

Jay

Old 06-25-2004, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

there doesn't seem to really be stubs at most stadiums. Many stadiums that I have been to have totally eliminated ticket takers and now use a scanning system of a full ticket - so you would never know if the ticket was actually used or not. Some teams have been using such technology for a number of years. Also eliminates counterfeiters from the stadium's perspective...

Old 06-25-2004, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: scgaynor

I sold an opening game at Candlestick on ebay about 2 weeks ago in VG condition for about $90. Opening to Fulton County full ticket should be worth $40-50, there are just too few collectors to drive the market. No-Hitter stubs and tickets are very collectible, there are much less of them around. Since they are not marked like Opening Day tickets, people actually have to do research on the date of the stub to find the significance.

Scott

Old 06-25-2004, 01:32 PM
Administrator

i'll certainly defer to your expertise...but was the candlestick ticket a full ticket? if it was, sell those puppies elsewhere (or use a higher opening bid)...a full ticket 30-40 years old has got to be worth more than that.
on the same subject, i went to the all-star game in milwaukee (figures i'd pay to see a tie) and that was my first experince with scanning tickets and giving full ticket back to patron. even under those conditions (50,000 full tickets...used or not), i sold mine for $50 each...on ebay.

Old 06-25-2004, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Andy, no it was a stub, I don't think that I have seen a full. The first game that I can remember in which they gave back full tickets was the Ripken streak 2130 and 2131. They stamped the tickets with a raised seal.

Scott

Old 06-25-2004, 02:19 PM
Administrator

thanks scott. that does sound right for a stub. and i've never seen a full ticket from back then either for a significant stadium opening game. the only way you can have a full ticket from back then is if the purchaser did not attend for whatever reason AND saved the unused ticket..that's what makes them so rare!!
so my origonal point seems confirmed (by scott) that even a significant STUB is worth more than $40-$50. and if the fed ex guy has full tickets from the first game at fulton county...well those would belong in a major auction house.

Old 06-25-2004, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/8807848.htm?1c

Did you see the above article about the Final Ticket Sold at Municipal Stadium going to the Hall of Fame?

I understand the draw of tickets and all - but to me, the story above left me saying "So What?"

Old 06-25-2004, 04:41 PM
Administrator

Andy, the difference is that a nice condition stub from Candlestick is probably worth more than a full from Fulton County. LA Dodgers material is the hardest to sell, but Atlanta is not far behind.

Ebay would actually be the best place to sell them, I would be very surprised to see any of the "major" auction houses accept two fulls from Fulton County as an auction lot. Usually they are looking for lots that are $1000 or more.

Scott

Old 06-28-2004, 10:12 AM
Administrator

sorry, could find the thread