NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-27-2004, 08:25 AM
Administrator

Default T-3 Turkey Reds Of Cleveland Players

Posted By: Ronnie

I am hoping one of you experts can help me. I am new to collecting the older items and am determined to collect one card of every Cleveland player (Indians, Spiders, Naps, etc.). I like the larger format items and have gone after those first.

Regarding Turkey Reds, I know about Joss, Lajoie, and Young, but I have been told at shows there are other Cleveland players (whether Cleveland alone or Cleveland and another team, I cannot say). Can anyone help? All the T3 lists just have the player name and not the team name.

And, if I am asking I might as well ask for it all, does anyone know of a reference that has Player Name AND Team Name for pre-WWII material?

My never ending gratitude is yours for your assistance.

Thank you,

Ronnie

Old 06-27-2004, 08:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Ecklund

The Niles card has "Boston Amer. & Cleveland" for the team on the front, but pictures him with Boston, so I'm not sure if this counts as a Cleveland player in your eyes.

The only Cleveland player other than the Hall of Famers you mentioned is Rhoades, who is probably one of the scarcest cards in the set. Don't be surprised if you have to pay 2x the normal common price for a nice Rhoades card.

Old 06-27-2004, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Sounds like a fun collection, but the Just So cards are going to be next to impossible. If you able to get a type card, you will be doing good.

Jay

Old 06-27-2004, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

Just a friendly suggestion. Stick to the Cleveland AMERICAN LEAGUE players, whether they're called Indians, Naps, or whatever. The team started in 1901. If you go before 1900, you will only frustrate yourself. Jay mentioned the Just So cards. They are virtually impossible, with only 1 each known of some players, and only about 2/3 of the Jesse Burkett card in existence. And he has no other card with Cleveland. Another Jay who frequents this site (Jay Miller) can probably tell you about other 19th Century Cleveland cards that are unique or nearly so.

Old 06-27-2004, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Thank you all very much, that's really wonderful!

Does anyone know if there are lists available, or sites, that have Card (item, etc.), team, and player listings?

That would make this a whole heck of a lot easier. But, maybe the fun is in the search.

Thanks again,

Ronnie

Old 06-27-2004, 10:32 PM
Administrator

I think Beckett published a book something like what youa re looking for back in the late 80s.

Jay

Old 06-28-2004, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff S

Beckett did, in the late 80s, publish a "team checklist," but I'm guessing it's not what you want, as it didn't encompass more than a few pre-war sets, such as T206.

However, the Beckett Alphabetical Checklist (still published in more recent editions) has more complete card listings for every player who ever appeared on a card. Were I going to embark on this type of project (crazy I may be, but I won't...) I'd compile a list of all Cleveland players and then consult that Beckett book to find out what cards each player was on.

An ideal place to start to compile that player list would be baseball-reference.com -- you can find pages with complete player and pitcher registers for each major league franchise.

Old 06-28-2004, 10:53 PM
Administrator

If you can find a copy of the Sports Encyclopedia Baseball, it is broken down by year with rosters for each team. That book, along with Total Baseball are absolute musts for research.

Jay

Old 06-29-2004, 05:54 AM
Administrator

Thank you all, again, for the information.

I have the books, I was just hoping that the info existed somewhere already.

Thanks again, TO THE QUEST!!

Ronnie