NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 06-27-2014, 03:43 PM
Ki.rk Rob.inson

Last edited by mojorob; 11-28-2016 at 09:31 PM.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:03 AM
Ken Marks

Default Question

Hi Kirk. Kim Marks here. Been a long time. I see you have gotten back into the Post Cereal football since we last were in contact many years ago. Great to see. I have a question for you if I might. Throughout this thread of posts, you reference the Unitas card to be an Alpha Bits individual card coming from Treat Paks. While I totally agree it is an Alpha Bits individual card, I was wondering how you are able to say it came from the six package variety Treat Paks as opposed to a 10 cereal variety package 10 Treys? For me, while probably pushing 80 total cards of the 6 players of the individual alpha bit cards and never seen any difference in the cropping, blue around the outside covering the right two thirds of the card, or other telltale identification markings, I was hopeful you could tell me how you knew that information. I have the complete 10 Trey package which I showed you a number of years ago. So I know those ABI cards exist. But I've never heard anyone say with certainty cards existed on Treat Paks in that issue, and if they did it has always seems certain to me that they were exactly the same cards and you could not tell them apart. So any light you can shed would be very appreciated. If you still live in the area that you used to, maybe we can get together again sometime. Have some interesting new material related to post cereal football that I've acquired in the 15 years or whatever it's been since those meetings at your house.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:53 PM
Ki.rk Rob.inson

Last edited by mojorob; 04-17-2017 at 01:23 AM.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:09 AM
Ki.rk Rob.inson

Last edited by mojorob; 11-28-2016 at 09:31 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:31 PM
Ki.rk Rob.inson

X

Last edited by mojorob; 10-12-2016 at 03:21 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:48 PM
Ty T.

Smile

Once again, thank you Kirk for posting photos of all of your cool Post Cereal memorabilia!
Old 07-02-2014, 08:06 AM
Ki.rk Rob.inson

Last edited by mojorob; 11-28-2016 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:05 AM

Wow, just WOW! Although I've had my Post set started for a while, I am just now beginning to see uncut panels and flattened cereal boxes that have survived all these years. But it's simply amazing that a complete package like that has survived intact. It had to have been in the back room of a grocery store all that time.
This picture and a couple of the earlier ones with this showcase of cards is phenomenal to me. Not just the Post items but all the other cool things in the case as well, like the Bazooka cards and that really neat Gridiron Greats blotter in the upper left.
My website for 1963 Topps football color variations -
Old 07-04-2014, 07:07 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

I have to admit I never really cared for the Post cards, but you guys are changing my mind, love these pics.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:13 AM
Ki.rk Rob.inson

Last edited by mojorob; 04-17-2017 at 01:16 AM.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:52 AM
Steve Liskey

No more awesome photo posts of trinkets from this set!? What gives?

A while back I bought a complete back panel on eBay. They do show up every once in long while. At the time, I think I paid around $100 for it. Ever since then, when I've seen one, and depending what stars are on the panel, they can reach $300 easy. I still fantasize about a complete set on uncut back panels. Doable...maybe, but I'm not a rich man.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:10 PM

One thing I've always wondered:
Is it possible to collect a complete, basic, set on uncut panels, without duplicating any cards?
Old 07-10-2014, 12:36 PM
Steve Liskey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballdude View Post
One thing I've always wondered:
Is it possible to collect a complete, basic, set on uncut panels, without duplicating any cards?
The expert(s) can chime in here, but I'm pretty sure the answer to that is no.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:48 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

This is a great thread; thanks for posting!

Perhaps I am tired but I seem to have missed this: I get that there are cards on the big packages of cereal and on the tray that held the single servings. Were there cards on the single serving boxes too?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 07-10-2014, 01:55 PM
Steve Liskey

Not sure, but I doubt it. I've never seen one. I've managed to save images of all the box panels I've seen. Maybe I should post a couple! There are different sized boxes that had less than the standard seven cards on them. I know of 3-card, 4-card, 5-card, and 6-card back panels. The six card panel I've seen may have been with the top (or 7th card) and header chopped off though, so I can't confirm that one.

Edit: Correction...there are 6-card box panels, confirmed.

Last edited by CowboysGuide; 07-10-2014 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:26 PM
Carl Lamendola

If I get a chance I will post some "Post" items that haven't been posted in this thread- Stay Tuned !

BTW - A complete mint set of 62 Post Cereal in uncut Panels does exists. I know someone who owns it.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:54 PM
Mike Dugan

I am surprised that you don't own a set Carl! You have everything else.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:18 PM
Ki.rk Rob.inson

Last edited by mojorob; 11-28-2016 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:42 AM
Steve Liskey

Here's a couple of the smaller, and harder to find back panels. The first one with three cards is from a Grape Nuts box I believe.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:49 AM
Mike Blai$dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojorob View Post
I remember the three large cards at the top of the display were Johnny Unitas, Paul Hornung & Billy Kilmer who was an Up & Comer at the time.
I'll try and hunt around a little and if I run across them, I'll post them up here for you guys to check out.
This is really a great thread. Below is the large point-of-sale display that Kirk referenced. ~ Mike

Old 07-18-2014, 12:28 PM

It was late in the fall of 1962. My family and I lived in Skokie, Illinois. I was in third grade, and struggling mightily to comprehend English grammar.

My teacher, Miss Lewis, was a young, very attractive woman, and very nice. Patient. All of us kids loved her.

I just couldn't seem to understand breaking the English language down. Among many of the vicissitudes, the participles were too much for this simpleton, and I was falling apart with self-doubt. Moreover, I was very shy, and had a speech impediment. My mother and father even hired Miss Lewis to tutor me one evening a week.

Well, early one afternoon she called me up to her desk. She showed me the back of a box of Post Cereal. There before me were 7 beautiful Post football cards, of players I had never seen. She said something to the effect that if I was able to complete the current challenging English assignment, I could have the panel!

You better believe I worked hard and got the assignment done. True to her word, she presented me with the panel. I don't remember any of the other boys saying anything to me about the matter, and I sure didn't want to incur their wrath or jealousy. We were a close bunch though, and they knew I was having great difficulty with English grammar.

I was so touched she thought that much of me to give me a whole panel of Post Cereal football cards---none of them familiar to me! In retrospect, I imagine she took good care of herself and ate a healthier cereal, such as a large box of Post Grape Nuts Flakes. No kid with good taste wanted THAT! Which, of course, explains why I had never seen those Post football stars. Grape Nuts Flakes was an adult variety of breakfast cereal consumed by the geriatric set, and the few health nuts of the time. Being a low percentage of their cereal-consuming population, Post did not print very many boxes of the larger size Grape Nuts Flakes.

Throughout the Post baseball and football trading card promotions, a decent number of the short prints could be found on the Grape Nuts Flakes boxes. When I went cereal hunting while my Mom grocery shopped, I never thought to look at the back of those boxes. It never occurred to me as my mind was on Alpha-Bits, Sugar Crisp, and a couple others. Besides, on top of that, grocers stocked them on the top shelf, where I could not as yet reach.

I still wound up having to repeat third grade, which really was good for me. Most of my Post football cards were tossed during the move our family made in '64. Fortunately, my Post baseball cards were saved.

I have a very tender and special place in my heart for Miss Lewis. Never will I forget her kindness and thoughtfulness to me. The cards I may not have, but the memory, this time, is even more precious. A famous quote of Maya Angelou comes to my mind when I remember dear Miss Lewis:

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

Here is a case where I cherish what she did, how that made me feel, and the smile and genuine look of kindness on her face. ---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 07-23-2014 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Polishing
Old 07-18-2014, 05:36 PM
Ki.rk Rob.inson

Last edited by mojorob; 11-28-2016 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:03 PM
Carl Lamendola

Here u go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2014, 08:09 PM
Carl Lamendola

63 factory had to send away card by card

Old 07-18-2014, 08:13 PM
Steve Liskey

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamendo View Post
63 factory had to send away card by card

What are the greenish looking things that say "Football Album" on them? Are those something used to keep the cards in, or is that what was mailed in to receive cards?
Old 07-18-2014, 08:13 PM
Carl Lamendola

Saver pamphlet

Old 07-18-2014, 08:15 PM
Carl Lamendola

Order form for factory cards

Old 07-18-2014, 08:19 PM
Carl Lamendola

Album one French and on English

Old 07-20-2014, 06:17 PM
Steve Liskey

Default 6-card Post Cereal Panel, Meredith

Was anyone watching the three 6-card panels that ended tonight? I was hoping to win the one with Meredith but it was just out of my reach.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:39 PM

I saw several panels end a couple week ago, and was in awe at what they ended at. Never looked at them before, so I am sure it was just that I am unfamiliar with them. I had a guy at a local show about a month ago, offer me a panel with Unitas on it. He wanted $175 for it, which I thought was a bit high, until I saw what they go for on ebay. Thinking back, I might should have gotten it. Maybe he'll be at the next show in September.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:35 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

Picked up this hit by accident at the National Convention in the .50c bin now five cards remain:
 photo filename-1-7.jpg
Old 08-13-2014, 02:45 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

Last hit came in the mail a couple of days ago from a member of my trading club (OBC). Another SP Cowboy #139 Allen Green. The picture had come apart from the cardboard so I broke out the Elmers glue and solved that. Looks like this card spent some time in a sewer Four left to complete my set………
 photo filename-1-6.jpg
Old 08-14-2014, 06:35 AM
P*ter Me@d

Default Indiana cornfields

Guru--

I think I mentioned this card originated from Randy--he probably found it in a corn field.

Elmers fixes pretty much anything.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:45 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

*correction: "looks like the card spent some time in a corn field"
Real glad to cross this one off my list.
Thanks again Peter. Or Randy
Old 05-11-2015, 03:46 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

Wanted to check in and report a hit to my short wantlist I won this three card lot of SP cards on ebay which included #28 Del Shofner which I needed for my set. $9.99 plus $3 to ship and I'm down to needing two more cards the extra tough #93 Dave Baker and #117 Larry Morris.
Larry
 photo filename-1_7.jpg
Old 05-12-2015, 01:13 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

This is one of the best threads that I have ever read on Net54baseball! Thanks to all contributors.

I had a few of the 1962 Post as a kid, but only two survived. None anywhere close to the condition on those pictured with the razor sharp edges.

This one was signed many years after it's year of issue. Still love the St. Louis Football Cardinals!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 62 Post Henke.jpg (78.9 KB, 260 views)
Old 05-13-2015, 05:44 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry G View Post
This is one of the best threads that I have ever read on Net54baseball! Thanks to all contributors.

I had a few of the 1962 Post as a kid, but only two survived. None anywhere close to the condition on those pictured with the razor sharp edges.

This one was signed many years after it's year of issue. Still love the St. Louis Football Cardinals!
Great stuff, Jerry! I agree that this is an awesome thread. The knowledge about this set shared here has been incredible. AND the eye candy!

jeff
Old 05-13-2015, 02:10 PM
Bob Lemke

In case you missed it when it was posted on another thread last month . . .

Rozelle Post.jpg

Link to my custom cards gallery:
http://tinyurl.com/customcards
Old 05-16-2015, 10:03 AM

Default 1962 Post Cereal Uncut sheet - make offer if interested

Love that you guys are so passionate about this set.

Any interest in this would like it to go to a good home

Old 05-17-2015, 07:35 AM
P*ter Me@d

Default anyone have a resource for complete back panels?

Love the uncut sheet/back panel! Does anyone have a website that shows the different back panels? I am pretty certain we ate Rick Krinkles and Alphabets in my house during the 1962 season--but would like to match up some of my childhood Post cards with the appropriate cereals.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:06 PM
Ken Marks

Default Post Football Card to Panel Distribution

Peter--Been a while and hope you are doing well. Believe this is what you were hoping to find in your Net54 note the other day. Give a yell if this does not do the job. I cut and pasted a document I developed, so the alignment is a bit odd.

1962 Post Cereal Football--Player to Panel Display-(each panel shown horizontally)

8 oz.. Alpha-Bits
12 Starr 31 Barnes 50 Karras 68 Morrow 87 Pellington 106 Atkins
22 Livingston 39 Peaks 56 Morrall 72 Schafrath 80 Mackey 101 Owens
115 Jones 128 Michaels 143 Moegle 152 Hill 166 Lundy 184 Tarkenton
124 Henry 142 Meredith 160 Arnett 178 Mason 195 Paluck 6 Hornung

13 oz.. Alpha-Bits
11 Ringo 30 Webster 49 Glass 67 Mitchell 86 Parker 105 Woodson 123 Green
57 Ninowski 73 Smith 79 Donovan 102 Smith 116 Morris 127 Lipscomb 172 Ryan
140 Howton 151 Gautt 165 LoVetere 185 Triplett 191 Horner 3 Forester 18 Gaiters
141 Lilly 159 Childress 177 Lapham 194 Dugan 7 Jordan 23 Lynch 40 Retzlaff

Post Tens Trays
10 Moore 29 Tittle 48 Gibbons
24 Morrison 41 Richardson 58 Pietrosante
74 Baker 89 Szymanski 103 St. Clair
119 Wade 126 Layne 139 Green
122 Dial 140 Howton 158 Guglielmi
176 Joyce 193 Krakoski 8 Kramer
66 Hickerson 85 Orr 104 Stickles

Alpha Bits Individuals
6 Hornung
30 Webster
37 Jurgensen
70 Plum
90 Unitas
98 Kilmer

10 oz.. Top 3
7 Jordan 26 Robustelli 45 Khayat 63 Gain 82 Moore 101 Owens
27 Rote 42 Sugar 61 Brown 77 Boyd 92 Brodie 120 Youmans
105 Woodson 150 Fuller 164 Hunter 178 Mason 192 Kerr 90 Unitas
119 Wade 137 Dupre 155 Meinert 173 Varrichione 190 Hageman 11 Ringo
171 Richter 177 Lapham 194 Dugan 4 Gregg 17 Brown 31 Barnes
200 Toneff 104 Stickles 125 Johnson 138 Fry 159 Childress 179 McElhenny

8 oz.. Crispy Critters
12 Starr 31 Barnes 50 Karras 68 Morrow 87 Pellington 106 Atkins
22 Livingston 39 Peaks 56 Morrall 72 Schafrath 80 Mackey 101 Owens
115 Jones 128 Michaels 143 Moegle 152 Hill 166 Lundy 184 Tarkenton
124 Henry 142 Meredith 160 Arnett 178 Mason 195 Paluck 6 Hornung

13 oz.. Crispy Critters
11 Ringo 30 Webster 49 Glass 67 Mitchell 86 Parker 105 Woodson 123 Green
57 Ninowski 73 Smith 79 Donovan 102 Smith 116 Morris 127 Lipscomb 172 Ryan
140 Howton 151 Gautt 165 LoVetere 185 Triplett 191 Horner 3 Forester 18 Gaiters
141 Lilly 159 Childress 177 Lapham 194 Dugan 7 Jordan 23 Lynch 40 Retzlaff

10 oz.. Oat Flakes
17 Brown 36 Dean 73 Smith 92 Brodie 111 Ditka
34 Brookshire 51 Lane 67 Mitchell 82 Moore 93 Baker
129 Nisby 147 Cook 165 LoVetere 183 Shaw 200 Toneff
133 Tracy 145 Tubbs 155 Meinert 169 Pardee 174 Alderman

15 oz.. Oat Flakse
15 Whittenton 34 Brookshier 53 Lewis 71 Renfro 90 Unitas 109 Casares 127 Lispscomb
54 McCord 69 Parrish 84 Myhra 98 Kilmer 112 Fortunato 132 Tarasovic 141 Lilly
145 Tubbs 163 Dale 181 Pesonen 198 Snead 3 Forrester 20 Huff 35 Carr
153 Koman 167 Matson 176 Joyce 190 Hageman 2 Dowler 19 Grier 63 Gain

11 oz.. Grape-uts
18 Gaiters 37 Jurgensen
74 Baker 93 Baker

16 oz.. GrapeNuts
56 Morrall 19 Grier 38 McDonald
112 Fortunato 75 Wiggin 94 Davis
166 Lundy 130 Reger 148 Crow

12 oz.. Grape-Nuts Flakes
7 Jordan 26 Robustelli 45 Khayat 63 Gain 82 Moore 101 Owens
27 Rote 42 Sugar 61 Brown 77 Boyd 92 Brodie 120 Youmans
105 Woodson 150 Fuller 164 Hunter 178 Mason 192 Kerr 90 Unitas
119 Wade 137 Dupre 155 Meinert 173 Varrichione 190 Hageman 11 Ringo
171 Richter 177 Lapham 194 Dugan 4 Gregg 17 Brown 31 Barnes
200 Toneff 104 Stickles 125 Johnson 138 Fry 159 Childress 179 McElhenny

16 oz.. Grape-Nuts Flakes
6 Hornung 25 Nolan 44 Weber 62 Fiss 81 Marchetti 100 Morze 118 Petibon
70 Plum 78 Braase 94 Davis 106 Atkins 187 Bishop 135 Clarke 158 Guglielmi
117 Morris 149 Etcheverry 163 Dale 180 Middleton 193 Krakoski 124 Henry 5 Hanner
136 Connelly 154 Wilson 172 Ryan 189 Bosseler 12 Starr 28 Shofner 43 Walston

10 oz.. Raisin Bran
47 Cogdill 9 McGee 65 McCormack 28 Shofner
59 Schmidt 25 Nolan 75 Wiggin 44 Weber
121 Carpenter 84 Myhra 139 Green 103 St. Clair
192 Kerr 157 Randle 10 Moore 175 Hawkins

14 oz.. Raisin Bran
8 Kramer 27 Rote 46 Cassady 64 Houston 83 Mutscheller
26 Robustelli 45 Khayat 60 Sewell 76 Berry 91 Bosley
102 Smith 9 McGee 118 Petibon 26 Robustelli 76 Berry
120 Youmans 138 Fry 156 Henke 174 Alderman 191 Horner

9 oz.. Sugar Crisp
14 Thurston 33 Bednarik 52 Lary 70 Plum 89 Szymanski 108 Caroline
37 Jurgensen 53 Lewis 71 Renfro 85 Orr 99 Mertens 113 Galimore
126 Layne 144 Perkins 162 Bratkowski 180 Middleton 197 Rutgens 4 Gregg

14 Oz.. Sugar Crisp
13 Taylor 32 Baughan 51 Karras 69 Parrish 88 Sandusky 107 Brown 125 Johnson
55 Martin 65 McCormick 86 Parker 100 Morze 114 George 129 Nisby 142 Meredith
143 Moegle 161 Bass 179 McElhenny 196 Promuto 5 Hanner 21 Katcavage 38 McDonald

10 oz.. Rice Krinkles
16 Barnes 35 Carr 72 Schafrath 91 Bosley
97 Johnson 83 Mutscheller 111 Ditka 131 Sandusky
110 Coia 128 Michaels 146 Lockett 182 Rubke
144 Perkins 154 Wilson 175 Hawkins 188 Anderson
173 Varrichione 186 Youso 1 Currie 189 Bosseler
199 Stychula 168 Meador 36 Dean 52 Lary

8 oz.. Post Toasties
3 Forester 22 Livingston 41 Richardson 59 Schmidt 78 Braase
97 Johnson 115 Jones 133 Tracy 151 Gautt 169 Pardee
186 Youso 15 Whittenton 31 Barnes 48 Gibbons 65 McCormack

12 oz.. Post Toasties
2 Dowler 21 Katcavage 40 Retzlaff 58 Pietrosante 77 Boyd 96 Hazeltine 114 George
66 Hickerson 199 Stychula 109 Casares 121 Carpenter 134 Gregory 156 Henke 160 Arnett
130 Reger 146 Lockett 170 Phillips 183 Shaw 197 Rutgens 81 Marchetti 7 Jordan
132 Tarasovic 150 Fuller 168 Meador 185 Triplett 16 Barnes 32 Baughan 49 Glass

18 oz.. Post Toasties
1 Currie 20 Huff 39 Peaks 57 Ninowski 76 Berry 95 Harrison 113 Galimore
131 Sandusky 149 Etchevery 167 Matson 184 Tarkenton 17 Brown 33 Bednarik 49 Karras

11 oz.. Bran Flakes
5 Hanner 24 Morrison 43 Walston 61 Brown 80 Mackey 99 Mertens
29 Tittle 46 Cassady 62 Fiss 87 Pellington 96 Hazeltine 107 Brown
117 Morris 135 Clarke 153 Koman 171 Richter 188 Anderson 13 Taylor
123 Green 136 Connelly 148 Crow 162 Bratkowski 181 Pesonen 195 Paluck

16 oz.. Bran Flakes
4 Gregg 23 Lynch 42 Sugar 60 Sewell 79 Donovan 98 Kilmer 116 Morris
64 Houston 88 Sandusky 95 Harrison 108 Caroline 122 Dial 137 Dupre 157 Randle
134 Gregory 152 Hill 170 Phillips 187 Bishop 14 Thurston 30 Webster 198 Snead
147 Cook 161 Bass 182 Rubke 196 Promuto 47 Cogdill 6 Hornung 16 Barnes

10 oz.. Sugar Coated Corn Flakes
15 Whittenton 34 Brookshier 53 Lewis 71 Renfro 90 Unitas 109 Casares 127 Lispscomb
54 McCord 69 Parrish 84 Myhra 98 Kilmer 112 Fortunato 132 Tarasovic 141 Lilly
145 Tubbs 163 Dale 181 Pesonen 198 Snead 3 Forester 20 Huff 35 Carr
153 Koman 167 Matson 176 Joyce 190 Hageman 2 Dowler 19 Grier 63 Gain
Old 05-26-2015, 07:07 AM
P*ter Me@d

Default Wow

Many thanks Ken--complete and definitive. Seems we did eat Alphabets and Crispy Critters in my house. But only common backs.....

Another quick question--I have a Pardee with extra thick cardboard as the backing. Was he ever part of a point of sale promotion or other advertising that you are aware of for this set? And if not, do you have any other thoughts other than someone rebacking the paper to a heavier piece of cardboard?

thanks again--great information--that I have printed out for future reference.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:39 PM
Ken Marks

Default Pardee Promotional??

You know Peter, have never seen Jack Pardee as part of any promotional material. Paul Hornung is the primary person associated with in store promotions (and media ads) that I have seen. There is the big sign that Mike Blaisdell has posted as part of this thread that had three large cards (Hornung, Unitas, and Kilmer). But have never seen or heard of anything about Pardee being a part of some sort of promotional item. I wonder what you have. Standard card size??

This might be way too much minutia, but a comment on the picture of the sign Mike posted since we are talking promotional material for the 1962 Post Cereal Football set. I too have that promotional sign and until Mike posted a picture of his, was the only one I had ever seen. What was very interesting was that his sign while pretty much the same, was not exactly the same as the one I have. The football player on the bottom is going the opposite direction and the cut of the bottom is not the same. It looks to me that Post produced two different signs that could be displayed back to back (and fit perfectly) for grocery store displays. Just thought I would throw that out as surprised me.

Last edited by Kenmarks; 05-26-2015 at 11:47 PM.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:37 AM
P*ter Me@d

Default Pardee

Ken--It appears the Pardee card has another piece of cardboard attached/glued to the original card. Who knows why, but I can see a clear separation between the original card and the extra/additional cardboard backing.

Never really looked at it that closely--I did pick up another one because I knew there was something funky with thicker version.

thanks again.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:40 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

After chasing this set for over ten years (and needing just two cards) I completed it at this years National Convention. After walking the aisles for four days, I thought I'd seen everything. Spike (a friend of mine) suggested walking cross ways across the floor, not along the regular walkways, and this proved successful. I started seeing things I had missed all week!
I came across a dealer with a stack of 1962 Post football and of course I asked to see them, and what do you know! #117 Larry Morris priced at $25, and the dealer accepted my offer of $20.
 photo 8484AB06-0C9D-4A9D-B963-B4ED77DC1C1D.jpg
So I paid the dealer and mentioned that I am down to needing just one more card, the short printed number 93 Dave Baker. And to my surprise the dealer says he has one!
The problem is, I am collecting a low grade set, and the dealer pulls out the most beautiful card I have ever seen, it's a BLAZER! But with extra money in my pocket we strike a deal, and my set is complete! I am so excited, and shoot Spike a text so I can show him. After seeing the card, Spike suggests I get the card slabbed and I agree with him. I want to keep this card as nice as possible! Here's a picture of me sitting at the SGC booth with the Dave Baker card ready for submission, cost to have it graded and slabbed was $35 and the card will be ready in one hour.
 photo 616a31d3-abb3-4646-a1a2-f8b6203dfebc.jpg
I didn't know what to expect, I knew the card was nice, but I don't normally purchase better condition cards. I was like an expectant father, pacing the Convention floor, and checking the time every five minutes. This was the longest hour I have spent in a long long time Finally I approach the SGC booth......
 photo Scan 3_2.jpeg
And that's the story how I finally completed my set. Of course the slabbed NM card of Dave Baker does not really fit in with the rest of my set. Hole punched, cut out with pinking shears, and stored raw in an 800 count box. I may keep my eyes open for a lower end Dave Baker card and downgrade But then again, this card is pretty sweet!
Larry
Old 08-05-2015, 08:44 AM
John

Congrats Larry - great story!
Old 08-05-2015, 09:42 AM
pariah1107

A beauty Larry, and quite the capstone! Congratulations!
Old 08-05-2015, 01:06 PM
Jeff P

Great story, Larry, and glad you were able to snag that last card. It's a toughie!

jeff
Old 08-06-2015, 07:20 PM
Jeff

Kudos on your completed journey.
Love the set!

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 06-29-2019, 06:25 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

I picked up a small stack of '62 Post Football cards today, and discovered #57 has a variation DETROIT LIONS QUARTERBACK red or black asterisk. It's not listed in the Standard Catalog?

Larry