NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-03-2019, 12:10 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpeck100 View Post

A comment was made in a thread I read last night about the range of alterations and what is okay and what isn't okay. I for one as I have said was surprised when I learned that soaking and spooning were all deemed acceptable so it is clear there is a wide range of opinions on what constitutes alteration.
Huh? Spooning deemed acceptable? Where did you read that? I don't think anyone on this forum deems spooning of cards an acceptable practice.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:13 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
Huh? Spooning deemed acceptable? Where did you read that? I don't think anyone on this forum deems spooning of cards an acceptable practice.
It's ok with a significant other though.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:17 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
It's ok with a significant other though.
But I like forking a whole lot better

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 07-03-2019, 12:17 PM
David Peck

Quote:
I read just yesterday someone say they have read plenty of times that spooning out a wrinkle is okay.

Using chemicals on cards as long as they don't smell after has been stated as okay.

I would have never dreamed that the same crowd that is upset would be okay with that.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:21 PM
Ben North

Quote:
I read just yesterday someone say they have read plenty of times that spooning out a wrinkle is okay.

Using chemicals on cards as long as they don't smell after has been stated as okay.

I would have never dreamed that the same crowd that is upset would be okay with that.
The majority of people saying it is OK are the ones doing it.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:27 PM
Rich Klein

One Note on 1952 Topps Mantles. Remember Al Rosen found that cache of unopened 1952 Hi #s circa 1986. Those cards almost all came out clean and sharp and I could tell whenever I saw a find card at shows for the next few years. This card could be (and may well be) an absolutely legit 8.

Regards
Rich
Old 07-03-2019, 12:30 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:

Yes, I know which comment you are referring to and I think he was just talking out of his a** when he made that statement about everyone being OK with spooning cards.

"Hi, I'm Bob, and I think it's totally OK with spooning cards! I just spooned my 51' Bowman Mantle last night! Wanna' see it? Hehe!"

Have you ever read anything like that on here, David? I haven't and I've been on here for quite a while.

And I also don't believe that people on this forum would be OK with soaking cards in chemicals. Some of these chemicals can turn your card brittle and then you know what happens next, right?
Old 07-03-2019, 12:34 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Yes, I know which comment you are referring to and I think he was just talking out of his a** when he made that statement about everyone being OK with spooning cards.

"Hi, I'm Bob, and I think it's totally OK with spooning cards! I just spooned my 51' Bowman Mantle last night! Wanna' see it? Hehe!"

Have you ever read anything like that on here, David? I haven't and I've been on here for quite a while.

And I also don't believe that people on this forum would be OK with soaking cards in chemicals. Some of these chemicals can turn your card brittle and then you know what happens next, right?
Cleaning with chemicals is generally regarded I would think as a lesser offense than trimming and recoloring, with crease removal somewhere in between, but it's all bad in my opinion.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-03-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:48 PM
Patr1ck Mu111N5

CONSERVING is defined as: a careful preservation and protection of something

PRESERVATION is defined as: to keep safe from injury, harm, or destruction : protect.

RESTORING is defined as: to return (something) to an earlier or original condition by repairing it, cleaning it, etc.

FRAUD is basically defined as: intentional perversion of truth in order to induce another to part with something of value

When you send your cards in to PSA/SGC/BGS you are CONSERVING your valuables by having them encased. Shellacking a baseball was intended to CONSERVE.

Brent and possibly Moser bought cards, cracked them out of their slabs, RESTORED them and then committed FRAUD by not disclosing the work they did.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:29 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
One Note on 1952 Topps Mantles. Remember Al Rosen found that cache of unopened 1952 Hi #s circa 1986. Those cards almost all came out clean and sharp and I could tell whenever I saw a find card at shows for the next few years. This card could be (and may well be) an absolutely legit 8.
Nobody has said that this card has any issues. Only that it's bizarre they would use PWCC to sell it at this moment.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:33 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Nobody has said that this card has any issues. Only that it's bizarre they would use PWCC to sell it at this moment.
1000% AGREED!!! A Heritage purchase to an Ebay flip in under 5 months. And to sell it on Ebay thru a seller who is currently embroiled in a scandal. Seems like awful timing to me.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:51 PM
David Peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
1000% AGREED!!! A Heritage purchase to an Ebay flip in under 5 months. And to sell it on Ebay thru a seller who is currently embroiled in a scandal. Seems like awful timing to me.
Bobby you probably have VCP. If you do how many PSA 8 Mantle's have been sold in a public forum in the past 12 months?
Old 07-03-2019, 03:01 PM
David Peck

Quote:

I am no expert on any of this and just read what people have to say. As I said it seems that some of these methods that I would think constitute alteration are accepted by some and once you go from virgin cards to an attempt to improve their appearance you have started the process and there doesn't appear to be a 100% consensus on the matter.
Old 07-03-2019, 03:35 PM
John Wondowski

Could be a buying opportunity.
Old 07-03-2019, 03:39 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
Is anyone else tired of the narrative that "if you don't think or act exactly as I do, you must inherently be less intelligent than I am?"

Yes
Old 07-03-2019, 04:50 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Quote:
Bobby you probably have VCP. If you do how many PSA 8 Mantle's have been sold in a public forum in the past 12 months?

According to PSA's auction prices tracker, three PSA 8's, and one PSA 8.5 have sold (all via Heritage Auctions) in the last 12 months.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 07-03-2019, 04:55 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

I don't know what this means, but now, when you go to PWCC's website, this PSA 8 1952 Topps Mantle no longer shows up.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
Old 07-03-2019, 05:00 PM
David Peck

It is gone.

Perhaps this thread caused someone to change their mind.
Old 07-03-2019, 05:16 PM
David M.

According to VCP the latest PSA 8 Mantles since the beginning of 2017:

2/24/19 Heritage $456,000
11/16/18 Heritage $430,200
8/19/18 Heritage $420,000
5/6/18 REA $300,000
2/24/18 Heritage $360,000
11/17/17 Heritage $408,000
8/20/17 Heritage $384,000
5/6/17 Memory Lane $462,000
2/25/17 Heritage $660,000
Old 07-03-2019, 05:50 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
The consignor might be aware of the current situation and not care. It could be a planned sale. It could be sold for a number of reasons.

This scandal is going to blow over just like every storm in the hobby has up to this point.

I am surprised so many people think this is going to be the demise of high grade trading cards.

The 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle is the ultimate symbol of Americana and the price might be higher or it might be lower but you are never going to see the demand for this card evaporate.

There are some who have been calling for PWCC to cancel all of their auctions and others who hope Brent ends up in jail. This might be the ultimate FU saying we still get the goods.

One revelation from this recent situation we have confirmed is that you can use a hidden reserve on PWCC auctions so the odds of this going cheap are quite low I believe.
This card will bring a ton of money, just watch....
Old 07-03-2019, 07:25 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
It is gone.

right all of the people piping in were going to only bid 350k on it...
Old 07-03-2019, 10:15 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Is anyone else tired of the narrative that "if you don't think or act exactly as I do, you must inherently be less intelligent than I am?"
I thought that replaced buy the card not the holder as the new net54 motto. The posts criticizing fellow collectors for how they choose to spend their money are getting old as well.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:18 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
It is gone.

If true that's a shame. I highly doubt those commenting in this thread were bidding any way. It's usually good for the market when big cards like that go to auction. I think it would have done well.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:32 PM
Patr1ck Mu111N5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I highly doubt those commenting in this thread were bidding any way.
Maybe if someone else was selling it.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:42 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
If true that's a shame. I highly doubt those commenting in this thread were bidding any way. It's usually good for the market when big cards like that go to auction. I think it would have done well.
Because most of us already have one here.

The more you see, the more you know that Brent Mastro is a common criminal. Nothing really special just a high tech crook.

He is a effing idiot of biblical proportions and if people want to continue to spend their $$$ with him, feel free. You earned it the old fashioned way by not ripping people off, so go ahead. This is America and we can do what we want. Happy 4th of July!

I personally will not buy another baseball card period probably until the day I die or Brent Mastro is behind bars. That's just the way I roll.

And to the guy who mentioned about Autographs...I stopped that nonsense 4 years ago when e-bay stopped pulling fakes and let 90% forgeries enter the market unchecked.

Though it's difficult to stop because I've loved it for 50 years, I try to stand for right and wrong. This Bullshit that Brent Mastro has been pulling is flat out wrong no matter how you slice it and I'm not going to be party to the ridiculousness of the hobby.

I won't sell them just like the autographs, they will sit. Only 150K wrapped up in them both, so it's not the end of the world and it was fun for a time. Now there is more money for fake benjamins, fake cars and maybe some more fake gold.

it is no longer fun when criminals dominate the hobby. You guys go right ahead and enjoy the ass poundings though.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:32 AM

What the hell does Brent Mastro have to do with this current scandal, and why does his name continue to be brought up in these threads?
Old 07-04-2019, 10:37 AM
Johnny MaZilli

It’s gonna be very very difficult to prove ..........imo prob will not be criminally prosecuted
PSA Zero chance
PWCC Zero chance
Doctor Zero Zero Zero chance
They’ve got nothing...

Business as usual ....This hobby is the wild wild best always has been always will be...up to buyer to be smart :-)

We all know this and will be fine :-)

Last edited by Johnny630; 07-04-2019 at 10:42 AM.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:50 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

I Have to disagree. I see someone, ie doctor or pwcc getting nabbed for trimming, something related to this, fraud, money laundering, etc

Old 07-04-2019, 11:39 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
What the hell does Brent Mastro have to do with this current scandal, and why does his name continue to be brought up in these threads?
The original "Bad Actor" who was arrested was BILL Mastro (of Mastro Auctions...)

The term "BRENT Mastro" was coined by Chuck, as a nickname for Brent Huigens of PWCC. The inference being that they are both guilty of criminal wrongdoing within the hobby.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:20 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Well, no, because the truth is never tiresome. Though I do often forget to be patient with people who are slower and dumber than I am, but I am working on it.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 07-04-2019, 12:43 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
Because most of us already have one here.

The more you see, the more you know that Brent Mastro is a common criminal. Nothing really special just a high tech crook.

He is a effing idiot of biblical proportions and if people want to continue to spend their $$$ with him, feel free. You earned it the old fashioned way by not ripping people off, so go ahead. This is America and we can do what we want. Happy 4th of July!

I personally will not buy another baseball card period probably until the day I die or Brent Mastro is behind bars. That's just the way I roll.

And to the guy who mentioned about Autographs...I stopped that nonsense 4 years ago when e-bay stopped pulling fakes and let 90% forgeries enter the market unchecked.

Though it's difficult to stop because I've loved it for 50 years, I try to stand for right and wrong. This Bullshit that Brent Mastro has been pulling is flat out wrong no matter how you slice it and I'm not going to be party to the ridiculousness of the hobby.

I won't sell them just like the autographs, they will sit. Only 150K wrapped up in them both, so it's not the end of the world and it was fun for a time. Now there is more money for fake benjamins, fake cars and maybe some more fake gold.

it is no longer fun when criminals dominate the hobby. You guys go right ahead and enjoy the ass poundings though.
I can print you up some fake $300s if you want to sell your cards. Grovers are way better than Benjamins.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 300bill.jpg (77.7 KB, 845 views)
Old 07-04-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
The original "Bad Actor" who was arrested was BILL Mastro (of Mastro Auctions...)

The term "BRENT Mastro" was coined by Chuck, as a nickname for Brent Huigens of PWCC. The inference being that they are both guilty of criminal wrongdoing within the hobby.
Ah, I see, thanks for explaining.

Not confusing at all.
Old 07-04-2019, 03:48 PM
je.sse @rnot

Even if most commenting here already have a 52 Mantle, which I find unlikely, I doubt more than 1 or 2 would consider bidding on this card regardless of the venue. I own one, but certainly can't afford an 8.

Cards of this caliber don't change hands that often, and even when they do I'd bet more often than not they do so privately. It would be a shame if a site that should be promoting the hobby is actually discouraging the public sale of such an important card.
Old 07-04-2019, 03:58 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

It should be sold by an honest seller, or at least one that hasn't been exposed yet. You make me laugh.
Old 07-04-2019, 04:15 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
It should be sold by an honest seller, or at least one that hasn't been exposed yet. You make me laugh.
I agree. With all this sh*t that's going on, Brent should not be selling ANY cards right now.
Old 07-04-2019, 04:33 PM
Patr1ck Mu111N5

I was in the market for a 1952 Topps PSA 7 or 8 Mantle.
Old 07-04-2019, 04:34 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

But he gets

So many high grade cards,
Highest prices for eye appeal
So many eyeballs
Secure packing

Who could possibly fill that void?

Old 07-04-2019, 04:43 PM
Patr1ck Mu111N5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
But he gets

So many high grade cards,
Highest prices for eye appeal
So many eyeballs
Secure packing

Who could possibly fill that void?
1- because they're altered
2- because he stickers the altered and shills
3- because he pays for puff pieces
4- got nothing there, ha
Old 07-04-2019, 04:56 PM
Ben North

Quote:
It's OK as long as you highly overpay from a very questionable seller.
Old 07-04-2019, 05:26 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Here is the bottom line in my book;
His company will be fine.... he buys back the bad cards....PSA then buys them back from him and updates the Pop End of Story ...... Hush Hush Hush
People Forget and Many Don’t Know Or Could Care Less
They Beat Goes On
End Of Story

Last edited by Johnny630; 07-04-2019 at 05:36 PM.
Old 07-04-2019, 05:59 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Here is the bottom line in my book;
His company will be fine.... he buys back the bad cards....PSA then buys them back from him and updates the Pop End of Story ...... Hush Hush Hush
People Forget and Many Don’t Know Or Could Care Less
They Beat Goes On
End Of Story
As we say in the south, "Bless your heart!"
Old 07-04-2019, 08:06 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Anyone remember WIWAG?

The current happenings will basically go the same way.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
Old 07-05-2019, 10:58 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
http://www.sportscardradio.com/

Scroll down a bit

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 07-05-2019 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:02 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
I am no expert on any of this and just read what people have to say. As I said it seems that some of these methods that I would think constitute alteration are accepted by some and once you go from virgin cards to an attempt to improve their appearance you have started the process and there doesn't appear to be a 100% consensus on the matter.
is it that you are missing the point entirely or is it going over your head? I'm not sure.

It's not whether or not it's acceptable.... It's CRIMINAL without disclosing it PERIOD.

That's the point. Head, Point. I made a funny son.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:07 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I can print you up some fake $300s if you want to sell your cards. Grovers are way better than Benjamins.
That's Hilarious, Ben... Your good with that computer for sure!!!!!
Old 07-05-2019, 03:35 PM
David Peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
is it that you are missing the point entirely or is it going over your head? I'm not sure.

It's not whether or not it's acceptable.... It's CRIMINAL without disclosing it PERIOD.

That's the point. Head, Point. I made a funny son.

I see so all of the collectors on this forum who have soaked cards or cleaned them have disclosed that to buyers. I seriously doubt that.
Old 07-05-2019, 03:42 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

So, if PWCC buys back the bad cards, what happens to these cards? Are they destroyed? Are they relisted along with a disclosure that they have been doctored? Do they work with PSA to update the POP reports:? Are they sent back to Moser to clean them up a little more?

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 07-05-2019, 03:44 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buythatcard View Post
So, if PWCC buys back the bad cards, what happens to these cards? Are they destroyed? Are they relisted along with a disclosure that they have been doctored? Do they work with PSA to update the POP reports:? Are they sent back to Moser to clean them up a little more?
PSA has updated the Pop Report what they do with the cards is up to speculation
Old 07-05-2019, 03:45 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buythatcard View Post
The 1952 Bowman Stan Musial PSA 10 was removed from the PSA pop report. It originally sold for over $25,000. They are supposedly being held "for law enforcement", but neither PWCC or PSA will say which agency/agencies they're supposedly working with.
Old 07-05-2019, 03:50 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Quote:
The 1952 Bowman Stan Musial PSA 10 was removed from the PSA pop report. It originally sold for over $25,000. They are supposedly being held "for law enforcement", but neither PWCC or PSA will say which agency/agencies they're supposedly working with.
So, if the person who works for law enforcement is a collector himself, he or she might end up with some highly graded cards.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard