NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-21-2017, 07:03 PM
qualitycards

Tim, what a cool Ruth!
Old 09-21-2017, 07:19 PM
pete ullman

ya tim that ruth is off the hook...u continue to amaze! Love the b/w look and the image is spot on!!!
Old 09-21-2017, 09:13 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Fantastic job, Tim. Nice to see you getting more mileage out of those Conlons.

Hope you are doing well.

Greg
Old 09-22-2017, 06:06 AM
Tim Carroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wolt View Post
Tim, what a cool Ruth!
Thank you, Jay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
ya tim that ruth is off the hook...u continue to amaze! Love the b/w look and the image is spot on!!!
Thanks, Pete! Greg turned me on to cutting the Conlon cards, and I can't get enough. I will be doing a commissioned 1990 Score B&W Bo Jackson along with at least one Conlon photo from those same cards.....too fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by botn View Post
Fantastic job, Tim. Nice to see you getting more mileage out of those Conlons.

Hope you are doing well.

Greg
Yes sir! Everything is good here, and I hope the same for you.

www.timcarrollart.com

Facebook/Instagram/Twitter: @timcarrollart
Old 09-22-2017, 01:59 PM
Ruben

Default Wow!

Hi Pete,
Glad to see you share your latest masterpiece. Keep them coming
Hope all is well
Ruben
Old 09-22-2017, 02:15 PM

Default Deconstructed reconstruction

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCarrollArt View Post
Not a classic, but I had a ton of fun with this commission.....1987 Topps Mookie Wilson. For 99% of the piece, I used 1987 Topps commons.

Cool work all around. This Mookie piece made me think...have you ever considered making a piece strictly from the exact card featured? For example, this 1987 Topps Mookie Wilson piece would have to be only made out of 1987 Topps Mookie Wilson cards.

Brian
Old 09-22-2017, 03:39 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
Cool work all around. This Mookie piece made me think...have you ever considered making a piece strictly from the exact card featured? For example, this 1987 Topps Mookie Wilson piece would have to be only made out of 1987 Topps Mookie Wilson cards.

Brian
That'd be a lot of mookies
Old 09-22-2017, 03:48 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Don't think he could get the right colors or shading that way.

Tom C
Old 09-23-2017, 07:23 AM
Tim Carroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Horse View Post
Hi Pete,
Glad to see you share your latest masterpiece. Keep them coming
Hope all is well
Ruben
Thank you, Ruben!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post

Brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by btcarfagno View Post
Don't think he could get the right colors or shading that way.

Tom C
I've considered it, but there are some problems. Same problems exist no matter the card, but I will continue with Mookie as the example. The biggest issue is the areas of black within the Wilson. To land that much black, I would only be getting small slivers from a regular size Mookie (ditto for the lighter areas of Wilson's skin, etc.). The amount of tedious work involved with that just isn't economical, and even then I believe the final result would look more like a representation of the original image as opposed to a piece having realistic qualities.

I have about 400-450K commons at my disposal, which makes my work easier. Narrowing a project down to a single set tends to be a bit more difficult (I still do this, however, with positive results), and deducing the palette to an individual card would be downright tough. Not to mention the cost.....I would charge an obscene amount for a piece that required that much eye strain!

www.timcarrollart.com

Old 10-06-2017, 05:42 PM
Tim Carroll

Spending the evening working on Eddie Murray. 20.5" x 28"; SOLD. I'll update when it is finished, but I thought some may like to see the piece while it is being worked on.

www.timcarrollart.com

Old 10-06-2017, 09:02 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

That's just insane. I mean...all of the pieces that you do are insane. I have so little artistic talent that just thinking about how someone is capable of doing something like that makes my brain hurt.

Tom C
Old 10-07-2017, 06:56 AM
Scott Russell

actually dig the more impressionistic qualities of the unfinished portions. Maybe that's the next project? cards in different styles? Gimme a 52 Mantle in cubism etc???
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 10-07-2017, 03:40 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Hey Tim,
I know, artistic integrity and all of that aside, have you ever thought of doing multiples of your finished works? Say, for instance, you're cutting a piece of a card to get the specific shadow you need. Couldn't you take another (of the same) card and cut out the exact same shape? That way you could be working on two or more pieces at the same time. Might be something to explore to get more of your work out there, and generate some further sales.

Incredible stuff!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:38 AM
Tim Carroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcarfagno View Post
That's just insane. I mean...all of the pieces that you do are insane. I have so little artistic talent that just thinking about how someone is capable of doing something like that makes my brain hurt.

Tom C
Thank you, Tom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
actually dig the more impressionistic qualities of the unfinished portions. Maybe that's the next project? cards in different styles? Gimme a 52 Mantle in cubism etc???
Glad you like the in-progress shot! However, I have no intent to switch styles, just continue to tighten what I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Hey Tim,
I know, artistic integrity and all of that aside, have you ever thought of doing multiples of your finished works? Say, for instance, you're cutting a piece of a card to get the specific shadow you need. Couldn't you take another (of the same) card and cut out the exact same shape? That way you could be working on two or more pieces at the same time. Might be something to explore to get more of your work out there, and generate some further sales.

Incredible stuff!!!!!
Thank you! Creating multiple pieces of the same artwork could be done, but for many reasons, I have no desire to do it. When I started doing this in the spring of 2009, I intended on a small series of 5-8. I made the T206 Wagner, 52T Mantle, and 89 Griffey really quick. The sketches were extremely loose, and the amount of cards I had to choose from was extremely limited. The end results were basically concept/prototype pieces of what I do now. I decided years later to give attention to the Wags, Mantle, & Griffey and make detailed pieces of each. Those are the only three I will ever create a 2nd time. I've started Wagner, and the Mantle/Griffey originals are complete. I still own the concepts of all 3 pieces (and Griffey even signed his). Here is a side-by-side of the concept Griffey and the piece I finished last year:

www.timcarrollart.com

Old 10-15-2017, 07:35 AM
Tim Carroll

Eddie is finished.....SOLD.

www.timcarrollart.com

Old 10-15-2017, 07:43 AM

This is why I love humans...Great work...
Old 10-16-2017, 02:20 PM
Fred

great piece, can't wait to see the next one
Old 10-17-2017, 08:39 AM

Default Had to have these

Considering they are two of my favorite all time cards (along with my son's favorites) I had to have these. Outstanding work as always Tim

Troy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tcart1915baberuthm1015.jpg (12.0 KB, 573 views)
File Type: jpg tcart1948leafrobinson.jpg (18.6 KB, 570 views)
Old 10-17-2017, 10:48 AM
Jason Greco

Amazing!!! Just amazing!!! The artistic talent, patience, and vision of what you do blows my mind! If you ever do an '84 Topps Mattingly or '71 Topps Thurman Munson, let me know. Not sure what it costs to commission such a thing, but I'd definitely be interested!
Hindu Brown: 1/34

****NY Highlanders Team Set****
Basic Team Set: 13/28
Master Team Set: 13/315
Old 10-17-2017, 12:12 PM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

I agree on the 1984 Topps Mattingly. He's not only my favorite player of all time but the 1984 Topps was the first real set I collected from packs as a kid. I think the 1971 Munson would be difficult with all the background noise in the picture but I'm not the expert, Tim sure is. Incredible work and talent.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 10-17-2017, 03:08 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Tim, from a production standpoint, I have a question for you. Your incredible works are tantamount to impressionist paintings in a museum. From a distance you get a clear image of the subject, but when you get close up you see the work is comprised of brush strokes and dabs of paint, etc. When you are creating a piece, how often are you stepping way far back from it to make sure the weird colored shreds of baseball cards (your 'brush strokes' as it were) are achieving the desired effect from a distance?? I imagine the floor leading up to and away from your easel is just worn the heck out. Ha ha.

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Old 11-13-2017, 12:04 PM
Tim Carroll

No idea how I missed these responses/questions - so sorry I'm just now getting to them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvnkvnkvn View Post
This is why I love humans...Great work...
Thank you! Agreed. Everybody has something they do better than everyone around them. Some just haven't realized it yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballfan View Post
great piece, can't wait to see the next one
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by invest View Post
Considering they are two of my favorite all time cards (along with my son's favorites) I had to have these. Outstanding work as always Tim

Troy
Troy, I'm honored to have those hanging on your wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greco827 View Post
Amazing!!! Just amazing!!! The artistic talent, patience, and vision of what you do blows my mind! If you ever do an '84 Topps Mattingly or '71 Topps Thurman Munson, let me know. Not sure what it costs to commission such a thing, but I'd definitely be interested!
Thanks! I'll be sending you some information shortly on both the Mattingly and Munson. Both would be extremely time-consuning due to the full body action poses, and in the case of the Mattingly, an extremely small portrait to boot. I've always wanted to work the 1976 Topps Munson. That's a card that lends itself well to what I do. I'll be in touch soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie73 View Post
I agree on the 1984 Topps Mattingly. He's not only my favorite player of all time but the 1984 Topps was the first real set I collected from packs as a kid. I think the 1971 Munson would be difficult with all the background noise in the picture but I'm not the expert, Tim sure is. Incredible work and talent.
Bingo on the Munson. It can be done, but I have a pretty good grasp on which images would be captured realistically, and which would be more of a representation. The Munson would definitely be a representation with far less detail than some of the other pieces I have finished. The 84 Topps Mattingly would challenging as well. Cutting the intricate pieces that make the flip shades, his fingers, the smallest of pinstripes, etc. And then there is the portrait in which his likeness must be nailed. I really appreciate the kind words!

Quote:
Tim, from a production standpoint, I have a question for you. Your incredible works are tantamount to impressionist paintings in a museum. From a distance you get a clear image of the subject, but when you get close up you see the work is comprised of brush strokes and dabs of paint, etc. When you are creating a piece, how often are you stepping way far back from it to make sure the weird colored shreds of baseball cards (your 'brush strokes' as it were) are achieving the desired effect from a distance?? I imagine the floor leading up to and away from your easel is just worn the heck out. Ha ha.
Great question, and one I do not get as often as others. Believe it or not, my iPhone becomes my best friend in saving me steps. Holding the phone up and viewing it through that camera lens where the image is compressed makes a world of difference. That keeps me by the drafting table, lol.

By the way, it isn't an iconic card, but this is a piece I had to get right. I worked the following over the last few months during the day when my wife was away and my kids were in school. I surprised my youngest with this (working on the other kids). This one measures just under 3 ft x 3 ft. My 10-year old son, Mason:

www.timcarrollart.com

Old 11-13-2017, 03:19 PM
pete ullman

tim...that is A-mazing!!!!!!!
Old 11-14-2017, 07:50 AM
Tim Carroll

Quote:
Thanks, Pete!

www.timcarrollart.com

Old 11-14-2017, 08:18 AM
Ben North

Quote:
+1 Your work seems to get a little better with each piece.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:39 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I was thinking that too. Not that your earlier work isn't good, but we're literally watching you perfect your craft a little more with each piece. Thanks for taking us on the ride!
Old 11-14-2017, 09:00 AM
Tim Carroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
I was thinking that too. Not that your earlier work isn't good, but we're literally watching you perfect your craft a little more with each piece. Thanks for taking us on the ride!
From people that have seen my work before, this kind of compliment means everything. I aim to be a lifelong learner in every aspect; it's just more public within the art side of things. Thank you both for the consistent words of encouragement and support.

www.timcarrollart.com

Old 11-14-2017, 02:35 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

You realize you've just ruined fatherhood for everyone else out there, don'tcha? Now when a dad puts a snapshot of his son on the fridge, the response is going to be, "WTF, Dad??? Just a measly photograph???? Are you kidding me???? Don't you know what Tim Carroll does for his son??? Come on, man!!!!!!"

Casey Stengel

Old 11-15-2017, 12:58 PM
Tim Carroll

Quote:
You realize you've just ruined fatherhood for everyone else out there, don'tcha? Now when a dad puts a snapshot of his son on the fridge, the response is going to be, "WTF, Dad??? Just a measly photograph???? Are you kidding me???? Don't you know what Tim Carroll does for his son??? Come on, man!!!!!!"
No, no....lol, didn't ruin anything at all. What the son could encourage is, "Dad, will you HIRE Tim to do one of me?" That's a win-win for us both.

www.timcarrollart.com

Old 01-09-2018, 08:21 AM
Tim Carroll

Finished with a commissioned 1948 Leaf Stan Musial RC.......hope to have a barrage of new pieces complete before the end of January.

www.timcarrollart.com

Old 01-09-2018, 04:41 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Your work is unreal Tim. Great Job on all of these pieces.

AndyH

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 01-09-2018, 06:25 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
I think Tim was pretty damn perfect two years ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (77.7 KB, 656 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (77.3 KB, 657 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:50 AM
Tim Carroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
Your work is unreal Tim. Great Job on all of these pieces.

AndyH
Thank you, Andy! If you ever get the itch to have one of those T206 backs with purple stamps hanging on the wall, let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I think Tim was pretty damn perfect two years ago.
Thank you, Peter! Very proud you are still enjoying the Babe. You will find humor in knowing that the time I spent with the blue on the 48L Musial was on par with that 33G green!

www.timcarrollart.com

Old 01-11-2018, 11:21 AM
Tim Carroll

Making good on my promise for a productive January, I am now finished with this: a 1938 Goudey Joe DiMaggio. This one measures just over 24" x 30", and was slowly made just for fun over the course of the past year. It is available.

www.timcarrollart.com

Old 01-17-2018, 04:24 PM
Tim Carroll

Commissioned 1959 Topps Bob Gibson RC. The color contrast in the original card design made this one fun to work!

www.timcarrollart.com

Old 01-17-2018, 05:00 PM
Scott Russell

hmm thinking you need to make a Cracker jack with a crease or two, rounded corners and some caramel staining! Stretch those artistic muscles of yours! As always, love your work.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 01-17-2018, 06:32 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Phenomenal. Period.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 01-18-2018, 05:53 AM
Tim Carroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
hmm thinking you need to make a Cracker jack with a crease or two, rounded corners and some caramel staining! Stretch those artistic muscles of yours! As always, love your work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
Phenomenal. Period.
Thank you both! I'm working to secure some '04 Topps Cracker Jacks, and then I'll begin work on the Joe Jackson (mint condition, of course!)

www.timcarrollart.com

Old 02-27-2018, 02:53 PM
Tim Carroll

Getting closer on this Matty portrait.....

www.timcarrollart.com

Old 02-27-2018, 03:09 PM
pete ullman

looks done to me!!!!!
Old 04-20-2018, 10:20 AM
Tim Carroll

Commissioned 1954 Bowman Mantle complete.

www.timcarrollart.com

Last edited by TimCarrollArt; 04-20-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04-20-2018, 04:15 PM
Peter Spaeth

Tim another masterpiece, especially the uniform.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-21-2018, 05:44 AM
Tim Carroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Tim another masterpiece, especially the uniform.
Thank you, Peter!

www.timcarrollart.com

Old 04-21-2018, 06:10 AM
Graig Kreindler

Wonderful, Tim. You keep getting better and better!

Another gem.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:55 AM
Jason Wells

Great work as alwats Tim. I have to one of these done one day.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:04 PM
Tim Carroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKreindler View Post
Wonderful, Tim. You keep getting better and better!

Another gem.
Thank you, Graig. Getting better is the best compliment I can truly get!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Great work as alwats Tim. I have to one of these done one day.
Thanks, Jason! Looking forward to working with you.

www.timcarrollart.com

Old 05-10-2018, 03:10 PM
Tim Carroll

1952 Tip Top Mickey Mantle complete (26" x 26"):

www.timcarrollart.com

Old 05-10-2018, 03:43 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCarrollArt View Post
1952 Tip Top Mickey Mantle complete (26" x 26"):

awesome tim!
Old 05-10-2018, 03:46 PM
Peter Spaeth

I can attest that as great as the images of these works look online, they don't compare to the real thing. The one I have seen is just stunning in person. If you were considering commissioning one, you definitely should.

Old 05-10-2018, 03:49 PM
pete ullman

agreed! I love mine!