NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-16-2023, 02:27 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Default Tim McCarver, two-time World Series champion and TV broadcaster, dies at 81

Rest easy sir. Your commentary was always a joy to listen to.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/tim-mcc...195100769.html

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 02-16-2023, 02:43 PM
J@mes In.gram

We shared the same home town, Memphis. RIP sir...

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 02-16-2023, 02:46 PM
Mark W.

Great broadcaster. Loved listening to him through the years. Not a bad player either. Although I didn't know him personally he seemed like a really great guy also. RIP Tim!!
Old 02-16-2023, 06:08 PM
Frank Wakefield

Tim McCarver... Wow, I had just thought of him last night. I know and understand that some folks grew weary of his banter as a broadcaster, I enjoyed it, he knew the game. He actually had pretty good numbers over the years. At least I thought he did. I'm glad that I saw him play. As a southpaw, I liked that he batted left-handed. He seemed to have a great mental grasp of the game situation with each pitch. I saw him steal home in game 7 of the 1964 World Series (a good day for a young Redbirds fan, Cards win the World Series, Gibson gets the win, Brock hits a home run, brothers Ken and Clete Boyer each hit home runs, and Mickey Mantle hits his last WS home run).

A bit of a trivia question... first correct answer will win a T206 card, a white border tobacco card. My choice, and it'll be in rough condition, it won't be nice enough to grade, no whining, but you can't beat 'free'.

The question... Tim McCarver, the $75,000 signee for Cards scout Buddy Lewis, makes his professional debut as a player in 1959, who was the home plate umpire for Tim McCarver's first baseball game as a professional?

First posted correct answer will get a T206 card. I won't be watching this every moment, but will eventually see whatever answers are offered.

In my mind I can see him running to first after hitting a pitch, he ran pretty well, and from the left side he could get down to first surprisingly well.
Old 02-16-2023, 06:11 PM
Jim Reynolds

I enjoyed him as a ballplayer, but his broadcasting to me was nauseating. I'll remember the good playing days though....RIP.
Old 02-16-2023, 07:53 PM

17 year old Tim McCarver plays his first home game. Wearing uniform #51 and leading off for the Cardinals he singles in the 1st and scores his first career run. He walks in the 2nd and singles again in the 4th as the Cards beat the Phillies 6-4. When he signed this scorecard, he opened it up and was commenting on what he remembered about that game. It was really fun to hear him reminisce. The first game I ever attended was at old Busch Stadium. Tim McCarver hit a home run off Sandy Koufax. I was hooked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg McCarver Scorecard.jpg (203.3 KB, 242 views)
Old 02-16-2023, 08:21 PM
Peter Spaeth

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ter-dies-at-81

What a picture of him and Gibson.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 02-16-2023, 10:33 PM
Frank Wakefield

I'm maybe not remembering this correctly, but I recall Mike Shannon saying something once about back in the day, no one wanted to interrupt Bob Gibson when he was pitching. On a hot summer day in July or August, Gibson had gotten into a jam, in the late innings. Manager Schoendienst wanted someone to go talk to Gibson and settle him down, but Schoendienst would say something to a coach to go out and talk to Bob Gibson. It'd be high humidity and in the high 90s. No one wanted to go out there and interrupt Gibson . One day, when some coach was forced out to the mound, play stopped, the infielders and McCarver gathered at the mound as Bob Gibson glared at each of them. The coach tries to say something about how to pitch the next batter. McCarver says something, and Gibson looks at him and says "what the hell are you doing out here? The only thing you know about good pitching is that you can't hit it." The story went that McCarver turned and returned to the plate.

I'm annoyed with myself, I've been digging around trying to find a McCarver card. I know I have a near set of 1967 Topps, but can't find that binder tonight. and I have several 60's cards, I think 62, and I'm certain I have a 64, 65, 66... But I can't locate the box that they should be in. Grrrrr... I did find a Morris Berg business card indicating that he was with the Commerce Department in Washington DC, as well as two 90 year old golf cards depicting Bobby Jones. But no McCarver card. This thread needs a card.

Nice scorecard and ticket stubs, Collectorsince62!!!!

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 02-16-2023 at 10:35 PM.
Old 02-17-2023, 06:28 AM
Bob Donaldson

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
Tim McCarver...

A bit of a trivia question... first correct answer will win a T206 card, a white border tobacco card. My choice, and it'll be in rough condition, it won't be nice enough to grade, no whining, but you can't beat 'free'.

The question... Tim McCarver, the $75,000 signee for Cards scout Buddy Lewis, makes his professional debut as a player in 1959, who was the home plate umpire for Tim McCarver's first baseball game as a professional?

First posted correct answer will get a T206 card. I won't be watching this every moment, but will eventually see whatever answers are offered.

In my mind I can see him running to first after hitting a pitch, he ran pretty well, and from the left side he could get down to first surprisingly well.
I know but I used google. Let's see if someone know without googling.

I never would have guessed otherwise ;-)
Old 02-17-2023, 06:53 AM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Jocko Conlan Mainly because that is the only umpire name that popped into my head. Don't really know any other ones.

shrug,

Thanks

Butch

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 02-17-2023, 06:54 AM
Geno W@gn&r

Default Guess

I'll go with Jocko Conlan for my guess. Actually, it's the only one I know, so easy to guess!

Cheers,
Geno
Old 02-17-2023, 07:05 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

McCarver was a new breed of announcer. Analytical, not just same old stories. But as his career progressed I found him harder and harder to listen to. Felt like I was being lectured at by a college professor. There is a line between Phil Rizzutto just being a goofball and McCarver providing a 9 minutes lecture on a sacrifice bunt. Baseball is supposed to be fun to spend time with, it's not life saving surgery.
Sort of like Tony Romo today, McCarver just talked way too much and cracked wise way too often. I don't mind some dead air in a baseball broadcast. In fact I prefer it.
I much prefer Joe Buck. Less didactic.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 02-17-2023 at 07:08 AM.
Old 02-17-2023, 07:17 AM
Jeff Carlson

Quote:

According to Baseball-Reference, the home plate umpire was Al Barlick.
Old 02-17-2023, 12:43 PM
Ken Wirt

Because every thread needs a card. R.I.P. Grew up watching him play. Great Cardinal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg g. Tim McCarver.jpg (197.6 KB, 167 views)
Old 02-17-2023, 12:47 PM
Al Richter

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Document_2023-02-16_151006.jpg (117.1 KB, 163 views)
Old 02-17-2023, 12:50 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I'm maybe not remembering this correctly, but I recall Mike Shannon saying something once about back in the day, no one wanted to interrupt Bob Gibson when he was pitching. On a hot summer day in July or August, Gibson had gotten into a jam, in the late innings. Manager Schoendienst wanted someone to go talk to Gibson and settle him down, but Schoendienst would say something to a coach to go out and talk to Bob Gibson. It'd be high humidity and in the high 90s. No one wanted to go out there and interrupt Gibson . One day, when some coach was forced out to the mound, play stopped, the infielders and McCarver gathered at the mound as Bob Gibson glared at each of them. The coach tries to say something about how to pitch the next batter. McCarver says something, and Gibson looks at him and says "what the hell are you doing out here? The only thing you know about good pitching is that you can't hit it." The story went that McCarver turned and returned to the plate.

I'm annoyed with myself, I've been digging around trying to find a McCarver card. I know I have a near set of 1967 Topps, but can't find that binder tonight. and I have several 60's cards, I think 62, and I'm certain I have a 64, 65, 66... But I can't locate the box that they should be in. Grrrrr... I did find a Morris Berg business card indicating that he was with the Commerce Department in Washington DC, as well as two 90 year old golf cards depicting Bobby Jones. But no McCarver card. This thread needs a card.

Nice scorecard and ticket stubs, Collectorsince62!!!!
McCarver told a wonderful story about how he learned from Gibson to challenge his own prejudices. After a game, McCarver tells Gibson, a colored gentleman is waiting to see you. Gibson replies, oh, what color is he?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 02-17-2023, 01:04 PM
Al Richter

McCarver also told a story about going to the mound in a game after Gibson had issued a couple of walks "to calm him down". Gibson tells him, "McCarver get back behind the plate, the only thing you know about good pitching is that you can't hit it"

McCarver got to play on some great Cardinal teams, unlike his successor Ted Simmons
Old 02-17-2023, 01:05 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
McCarver also told a story about going to the mound in a game after Gibson had issued a couple of walks "to calm him down". Gibson tells him, "McCarver get back behind the plate, the only thing you know about good pitching is that you can't hit it"

McCarver got to play on some great Cardinal teams, unlike his successor Ted Simmons
Right, Frank posted that above.

Old 02-17-2023, 02:10 PM
Dave Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
McCarver was a new breed of announcer. Analytical, not just same old stories. But as his career progressed I found him harder and harder to listen to. Felt like I was being lectured at by a college professor. There is a line between Phil Rizzutto just being a goofball and McCarver providing a 9 minutes lecture on a sacrifice bunt. Baseball is supposed to be fun to spend time with, it's not life saving surgery.
Sort of like Tony Romo today, McCarver just talked way too much and cracked wise way too often. I don't mind some dead air in a baseball broadcast. In fact I prefer it.
I much prefer Joe Buck. Less didactic.

If you want a chore, try reading his book from about 1987. I got about 30 pages into it then put it down. BORING!! Always felt sorry for the guy. After a long career on the diamond then in the booth, he goes out as partner w/ Joe Buck. Good God!!
Old 02-17-2023, 02:16 PM
Jim M.arinari

Obtained in person while at the Springsteen concert at the First Union Center in Philly in 1999.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg McCarver228.jpg (75.0 KB, 152 views)
Old 02-17-2023, 03:26 PM
Bob Donaldson

Quote:
Originally Posted by obcbobd View Post
I know but I used google. Let's see if someone know without googling.

I never would have guessed otherwise ;-)
I can't wait anymore

Brent Musburger
Old 02-17-2023, 04:30 PM
Frank Wakefield

Brent Musberger was the home plate umpire... please pm me your mailing address.

1959 Midwest League, Keokuk Cardinals, in Iowa...

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 02-19-2023 at 10:30 AM. Reason: adding where McCarver's life path crossed with Musberger's.
Old 02-19-2023, 10:26 AM
Frank Wakefield

Yankee fans are a bit more likely to "not care for" Tim McCarver than are other baseball fans. There are many reasons... Here are two...

1. 1964 World Series, 11 for 23, 5 RBI, 1 HR, stole home, BA .478, SLG .739

Those are powerful numbers...

2. Foretelling how the Yankees are about to lose, just moments before they do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNt3UuDTBz8
Old 02-19-2023, 02:23 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collectorsince62 View Post
The first game I ever attended was at old Busch Stadium. Tim McCarver hit a home run off Sandy Koufax.
I have scored programs from 257 of the 397 games that Koufax pitched, and one of them happens to be your first game at Busch on June 21, 1963.

The other scorecard (with a ticket stub) is McCarver's first career HR on July 13, 1961 off Tony Cloninger.

Rest in Peace, Tim McCarver.
Old 02-19-2023, 03:06 PM
Al Richter

In 1963 and 1964 "old" Bush stadium was the formerly Sportsman's Park on Grand Avenue. In 1966 the Cardinals moved to the then "new" round Bush Stadium downtown. They moved across the street to their current Stadium in 2006. I attended my first World Series game in 1964 and second in 1967, and my last in game 6 in 2011.
Old 02-20-2023, 08:40 PM

[QUOTE=doug.goodman;2316183]I have scored programs from 257 of the 397 games that Koufax pitched, and one of them happens to be your first game at Busch on June 21, 1963.

Doug - I kept the scorecard and ticket stubs from that first game I ever attended and still have them. Koufax was one pitch away from a third straight shutout when McCarver homered. Musial then pinch hit and drew a walk. Sandy was taken out but Curt Flood grounded out to end the game. My Dad took me to that game because he wanted me to see Stan Musial play before he retired. To my everlasting chagrin, we left early and didn't see the McCarver homer or the Musial at bat. My Dad wanted to go to a nearby rib joint and beat the crowd. Ugh! So I never saw Musial play . . . but it made meeting him years later that much better.
Old 02-20-2023, 09:16 PM
Frank Wakefield

Great memories, Collector!

I saw Mr. Musial in 1963. Dad wanted to get me to a game to see him, as did your Dad. And my Dad sometimes fell victim to the 'beat the crowd' crowd. I can't fault that...

And over the years, I've gotten quite a few people to a ball game, even though the closest teams are 4 hours away.
Old 02-20-2023, 09:21 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collectorsince62 View Post
I kept the scorecard and ticket stubs from that first game I ever attended and still have them ... To my everlasting chagrin, we left early.
The thrill of victory ... the agony of defeat.