NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-27-2016, 06:02 PM
Steve Kennedy

Default 1939 Centennial of Baseball Glasses in a GRUNGY Box great story

Just when you think you know the history or how something was made and by who.
Bam your back to square one.

My story:
For more than forty years I have collected 1939 Centennial of Baseball ephemera www.1939baseball.com. In 1981 at the Willow Grove Show, when knowledge was free for the asking, and cards were on the cusp of insanity, I bought a set of 1939 Centennial glasses in a box from Tom Reed. The All American Board of Baseball (Babe Ruth) selected the annual baseball team and the 1938 team was used for the Baseball Centennial Glasses. I stored the grunge box and hung on to it for all these years for whatever reason. Yesterday I goggled 1939 baseball centennial just to see where my web site was listed (first as usual) and looked at images, there was a listing from MEARS Auction House for a set of Centennial Glasses and with what they believed was the original box sold in 2011. Wow I though where is my box up to the attic to find it and my grungy box is the same but with a label printed on the outside. Manufactured by the Superior Paper Co. Pittsburgh PA. --NON - TEST-- ..39..
I thought they were promotional item at the 1939 New York Worlds Fair as a souvenir of Christy Walsh's Academy of Sport Pavilion or at the Esso Gas Station as a premium for buying gas and I believed the glasses were made by the Libby glass Co.
So now I am re-thinking who made them and how were they distributed. Because, of the grungy box stored in the attic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9d-Superior Paper Products Co. Centennial Glasses Box.jpg (73.3 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg Apr11&01.JPG (64.6 KB, 247 views)
File Type: jpg 9c- Academy of Sport Libby Glasses Esso Souviner.jpg (77.6 KB, 249 views)
Old 04-27-2016, 06:18 PM
Dan Bretta

Those are awesome. Don't believe I've seen them before.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:36 PM
Steve Birmingham

The printing on the box is most likely the box manufacturer. The other box probably has it on one of the sides that's not visible in the picture. Most boxes even today include a similar marking, now standardized in a circular format. Non-test probably refers to the cardboard itself, the new boxes all include a "test" rating which is related to how much weight the cardboard can take without failing. I've never seen one labeled non-test, I think it is either really cheap cardboard or a company that didn't do the testing.
Some info here
http://www.masterpak-usa.com/masterpak.htm

I don't know exactly how the tests are done, but the info is probably findable with google.

The ones on Ebay have a glassmakers mark on the bottom that I believe is Libbey. Last company at the bottom of the page.
http://glassloversglassdatabase.com/marks/ats00003.html

Libbey was the glassmaker for a lot of novelty and commemorative glassware, including a lot of sports glasses and while the website doesn't push it they still do some similar stuff. Everything from fancy wine glasses to the mason jar with a handle sort of stuff.

They might have some info on who they made the glasses for. Maybe not, but it's worth a try.
https://retail.libbey.com/

Steve B
Old 04-28-2016, 06:20 AM
Steve Kennedy

Default 1939 Centennial

Steve, Thanks for your reply; I have always believed the glasses were made by the Libby Glass Company as the marking on the bottom of the glass is theirs the box just threw me a curve. Thanks again Steve
Old 04-28-2016, 06:37 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by da-bullman View Post
Steve, Thanks for your reply; I have always believed the glasses were made by the Libby Glass Company as the marking on the bottom of the glass is theirs the box just threw me a curve. Thanks again Steve
Cool story and neat glasses. Thanks for sharing. It reminds me of the guy that came to my table at the national a few years ago. He was focused too. He was collectecting Coke caps but only 1 of the 2 yrs they were produced. And that is all he collected from what I remember.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by da-bullman View Post
Libby Glass Co. = Toledo, OH

Last edited by Scott Garner; 04-29-2016 at 04:28 AM.