NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 08-24-2016, 09:41 PM
Scott ku.rtis

Default BBCE and unopened boxes --help please

Hello

I am nterested in buying some modern unopened boxes, but am unfamiliar with the rules. Could somebody please help me on a few questions:

1). BBCE: I read their website, and it seems like they seal only above $250 in value plus a few other popular boxes. Having them wrap a box means it hasn't been rifled through and picked, is that accurate?

2). The BBCE marketplace on the website. Not all of those are wrapped, but because they are listed there, are they certified good? Or is it buyer beware?

3). Anything to look out for on forgeries of BBCE wraps?

4). Any particularly hot issues that people sort through that I should be aware of and should only buy BBCE? Like is there a way to sort through 1989 Upper Deck baseball or 1989 Score football? I assume all wax boxes can, but these would be very difficult, no?

Thank you guys for your help.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:55 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

On #1, I don't think that's the case. All they're certifying on a regularly wrapped box is that all the packs are authentic and unopened. Unless you buy a box with the "FASC" designation; that means "From a Sealed Case" and means that they opened the case themselves and immediately sealed all the boxes. Sometimes they look through the packs themselves and note stars/rookies on the front and back of packs.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:01 AM
James
James Kin.chen

A lot of the pictures on the BBCE site are "stock" photos. Some are shown with shrink wrap an some aren't. Any box that they sell that is over around $25 comes with shrink wrap. They will wrap cheaper boxes if you call and ask. Their authentication does not guarantee that the box hasn't been gone through of that the box has all of the packs that were in the box when it left the factory. They just guarantee that all the packs in the box are good. 1989 Upper Deck boxes are fairly easy to search if you know the sequence. A lot of people can open a couple packs and know where the Griffey is. Not all boxes will have a Griffey and some will have 2 or 3. I don't know if there is a way to search the 1989 Score football boxes.

James
Old 08-25-2016, 07:21 AM
Mark

Personally, I'd feel 100% comfortable with anything i bought from BBCE.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:12 PM
Scott ku.rtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkheat View Post
A lot of the pictures on the BBCE site are "stock" photos. Some are shown with shrink wrap an some aren't. Any box that they sell that is over around $25 comes with shrink wrap. They will wrap cheaper boxes if you call and ask. Their authentication does not guarantee that the box hasn't been gone through of that the box has all of the packs that were in the box when it left the factory. They just guarantee that all the packs in the box are good. 1989 Upper Deck boxes are fairly easy to search if you know the sequence. A lot of people can open a couple packs and know where the Griffey is. Not all boxes will have a Griffey and some will have 2 or 3. I don't know if there is a way to search the 1989 Score football boxes.

James
I am an avid card counter, and sequencing like this makes me think of card counting. That's actually pretty cool, if you can do it, I think.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:05 PM
Bru.ce Wil.s0n

On those 89 boxes it can be done. People used to get the Griffey then fill the box with packs from other boxes where they did the same. So there are all these boxes out there with no Griffey because essentially its been searched even though the packs are there and unopened.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Old 08-26-2016, 05:34 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcwcardz View Post
On those 89 boxes it can be done. People used to get the Griffey then fill the box with packs from other boxes where they did the same. So there are all these boxes out there with no Griffey because essentially its been searched even though the packs are there and unopened.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
I don't remember the sequencing anymore but I used to do it all the time back in the 80's. The only one I still kind of remember it the 89 Topps DoubleHeaders cards. The McQwire was the bottom pack in the front left(maybe right) corner in every box. I used to do the same with cello and rack packs.

I do not know how easy it is to reseal this stuff but we had a former member on here get a ton of resealed cello packs with star players showing past them.

EDIT: I will also add that the companies used to pull insane amounts of star players out to sell in huge lots. So sometimes this accounts for not getting any good cards out of a box. I had this happen to me recently with a box of 90 Donruss. Not a single star card in the entire box and the box was bought out of a sealed case by my brother back when they came out. I 100% know card companies did this as I had several friends and relatives that worked for one in the 80's/90's.

Last edited by bnorth; 08-26-2016 at 06:14 AM.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:59 AM

Default Bbce

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse9 View Post
Personally, I'd feel 100% comfortable with anything i bought from BBCE.
+1