NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 09-01-2020, 08:30 PM
Curt

Default Opinions on these postcards, but especially Maddux

I took a chance on this lot, specifically the authenticity of the Maddux. It was priced too good to believe and I couldn't hit BIN fast enough, but I also figured the 4 others were almost certainly real and these Old Style Postcards seem to be somewhat scarce anyways. They are well loved too, which is what you might expect from something like this. Honestly, I would not be upset with the lot even if the Maddux was not authentic. If it is though, well then I got a real steal.

Maddux has such a sloppy signature too. I feel like this really could be an early signature, but I wouldn't place any bets on it either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Maddux.jpg (72.4 KB, 325 views)
Old 09-01-2020, 09:11 PM
Brad Jerome

I can't speak for the Maddux, but can say with a solid degree of certainty that the rest of those photos are good.
Old 09-02-2020, 07:38 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

That definitely looks like the "Greg" I'm familiar with
Old 09-02-2020, 07:42 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

Because it’s an early career signature I feel it’s good and the basic letter formation is consistent with his early career signature as well as his later signatures .
Old 09-02-2020, 08:01 PM
Curt

Very promising opinions for sure. i am very much hoping it is legit. I don't actively collect Maddux, but will pick up neat oddball stuff. I was collecting him as a secondary player collection when I was actively buying packs still, so was able to grab some good 90s inserts and such. Having him join the Dodgers was a nice capper to a great career. The Dodgers seem to be pretty good at grabbing aging HOFers to close out their careers.
Old 09-03-2020, 08:07 PM
qu@n nguy3n

maddux good imo
Old 09-04-2020, 04:21 PM
Curt

Thank you all for your thoughts. I have been buying autographs for many years and always felt I had a pretty good eye and always try to use common sense, but sometimes you just don't know and still roll the dice. When I do that, I like to make sure we are talking small $$. I guess I am a bargain/budget collector anyway, so I would be scared to shell out 3-4 figures for something unless i was absolutely certain.

I got this lot for $30 if you can believe that.
Old 09-04-2020, 06:59 PM
And.rew Whi.te

Your Maddux has some similarities to mine thats for sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 91804809_1002698703464918_5833242642317574144_n.jpg (72.9 KB, 200 views)

Last edited by whitehse; 09-04-2020 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-06-2020, 12:08 AM
Curt

Yours was the first one I had ever seen and really liked it. It prompted me to start looking for one and luckily happened upon this one.
Old 09-06-2020, 03:12 PM
And.rew Whi.te

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
Yours was the first one I had ever seen and really liked it. It prompted me to start looking for one and luckily happened upon this one.
I honestly do not think there are a whole lot of these out there. I Am glad we are both in the "club".
Old 09-06-2020, 10:19 PM
Curt

I know the Canon and Berg cards were issued in sets and are a bit more common (at least the Berg sets). I wonder if this was by appearance only or maybe TTM only? There are a series of Mariner B&W postcards that run several years, maybe 77/78-mid 80s. I rarely see them and often they are signed. I believe they were created specifically for players to answer fan mail and use as autograph requests. I don't think they were sold as singles or as a set, at least I never saw any for sale I can recall. I logged in a lot of M's games in that era too.

I could speculate that Old Style sponsored a single event (or multiple events over the course of a season), printed up some PCs for the event and those were given out to fans attending and getting autographs. It is not uncommon to see special event created items for in person signings and they almost always seem incredible difficult to track down not long after the event. Presumably, most who get them were there as a fan and wanted an autograph and are not dealers looking to turn around and sell it immediately.
Old 01-16-2021, 09:52 PM
Curt

I took another gamble on a another oddball signed Maddux card. His signature is such a scribbled mess that it seems hard anyone could really truly authenticate one.

Any opinions on the authenticity of this one?

Kind of like the last one that started the thread, I didn't have the card itself, signed or not. So part of the desire was to get the card itself, but a real signature too would be a fantastic bonus. I don't send cards in for authentication, so I figure my collection probably has a few duds within. I figure if I buy a card, I only spend what I can live with, in case there is an issue. The seller had about a half dozen signed Lykes Braves cards listed at auction, the rest being common names. All were listed at the same starting price. The end price really was too good to be true, so I figure it's either fake or I am one lucky dog when it comes to Mad Dog.

A fake signature essentially ruins the value of the card, but still provides a filler until a better one can be found and doesn't look bad to the untrained eye either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Maddux Lykes.jpg (71.1 KB, 111 views)