NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 06-16-2020, 12:42 AM
Scott M.@.r.k.s.

Default So I started a Roberto Clemente "project".....

Yep, thats right.
Some of you asked me if I was going to do a Clemente project after how well my "Mickey Mantle project" turned out so nice and crisp after getting it framed.

(If you missed that thread, it is located here ~~~~~~~> https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=271449)

I was so happy with it, and after being able to truly "enjoy" my project and not have cards just " locked away somewhere"....... I debated for just 3-4 days and I quickly decided to start a ROBERTO CLEMENTE PROJECT.

Now, it will obviously be different and once again I am sure not everyone will agree with my choices for cards.
If you followed my last thread, you know the drill.
I'm essentially shooting for solid eye-appeal cards, that won't break the bank. More overall appeal , not necessarily "perfectly centered", nor "4 razor wire sharp corners", but cards that look solid yet are still affordable. Like last time, I actually don't want anything minty fresh, but I want something that presents like actual vintage cards. No reprints allowed.

The good news is, this should be cheaper than my Mickey Mantle project and thats one of the reasons I should finish this one much faster. I did have a few life issues get in the way on the Mantle, and of course the worldwide pandemic threw a massive spanner in the works last time as well.
I eventually got it done and it turned out beautiful. (finished framed pictures are near the end of the Mantle project thread, linked above)

I likely won't have a Clemente rookie for monetary reasons, but I will try and include 1-2 of his early cards, depending on what I can sniff out and dig up in my looking over the next month or two. I am almost certain to include a '57 Topps. Those '57s were beautiful, and you can find a low grade example more reasonably than you might expect.

If anyone happens to have any lower end Clemente cards that they feel may fit right in, feel free to shoot me a P.M. I just *may* have interest if its something I feel will be appropriate as I begin to gather items for this.

SIDE NOTE - I believe the Mantle display was 36X48, although I would have to look back to verify the exact measurements.
Most likely, instead of making this one vertical like the Mantle, I'm going to make this one horizontal instead. There are a couple reasons for this, but if I land the autographed item I have been looking at, I believe it will look better if I make this layout horizontal rather than vertical.
I'm also debating on using a brown , or even a burgundy matte on this one, and not the green again..... though that green turned out really nice and clean.
Taking the colors on his cards in consideration ( in Clemente cards, a LOT of black, and gold for the Pirates colors are used) the burgundy might be the way I go....I'm really not sure yet and will definitely lay a bunch of it out at the shop with various colors and proceed from there.
Regardless, I will continue to tinker with the layout and how I want it to look as time passes..... and that will definitely be impacted by how many cards I want to include. (and whether or not I get the one autographed item I have been looking at)

So let us begin.

Successful deals with - "HCV123"/Howard Chasser, "ejstel" , "mzljapan" , "aronbenabe" , "Santo10Fan" , " Robextend", "rjackson44", "Wanaselja", "eliminator", "Dboneesq" , "Oneofthree67", "Lucas00", "ccre" , "D. Bergin" and several others.

Last edited by DJCollector1; 06-16-2020 at 12:43 AM.
Old 06-16-2020, 01:08 AM
Scott M.@.r.k.s.

6-13

Pickup #1 is a stunning 1972 Topps.
This one was a bit of a no-brainer. There is so much black white and gold across all of Clemente's cards (The Pirates colors....) snagging a bright '72 Topps is the perfect contrast to some of the other cards and more prevalent darker colors.
I knew right out of the gate this would definitely be one I would include and I stumbled across a beautiful raw example.

Once again, excuse the poor cellphone pictures. This is just amazing in hand. It has a tiny nick on a couple of the corners that undoubtedly keeps it from a very high grade indeed. Even the centering on this one is just awesome.
For $49 shipped, I thought it is the absolute perfect fit for this project.
Although the '72's were never my favorite issue, after getting this one in hand it looks so nice, I will likely pick up another graded copy to tuck away with the rest of my Clemente collection as well.

ARRIBA~!

Successful deals with - "HCV123"/Howard Chasser, "ejstel" , "mzljapan" , "aronbenabe" , "Santo10Fan" , " Robextend", "rjackson44", "Wanaselja", "eliminator", "Dboneesq" , "Oneofthree67", "Lucas00", "ccre" , "D. Bergin" and several others.

Last edited by DJCollector1; 10-12-2020 at 11:40 PM.
Old 06-16-2020, 01:37 AM
Scott M.@.r.k.s.

6-14

Pickup #2 is a 1962 Post Cereal card, and it has always been amongst my favorites.
This is yet another "bright" card, that I knew I would definitely include. I have always thought the red and yellow just popped, and the overall look and colors on this card are just fantastic.

As many of you know, these being "hand cut" can lead to all sorts of problems at times. Bunches of these on Ebay seem to have cut issues, and finding one at a very low price often leads to a ton of problems with this particular card. Poor border hand cuts, wrinkles and creases, dull color and focus issues, and several other problems are widespread with this card.....and most ALL Post cards it seems.
Now, the hand cut on this one isn't great, (but its not as bad as it looks in this picture) but the thing that stood out on this one to me , is the color on this one looks great and thats why I ultimately pulled the trigger.

Geesh, there was a light over towards the right side in this picture, and it causes the card to look washed out a bit and there is a definite glare along the right side. It also looks like it was sitting up on the blanket at an angle, so the picture certainly isn't the best.

It looks far better in person, and even though its yet another pick up that's definitely not "minty fresh", its right in my wheelhouse for this project.

I already have picked up another card, but it may be another day or two before it arrives.

Also let it be known that I finally picked up a copy of "Clemente: The Passion and Grace of Baseballs Last Hero by David Maraniss".
I had actually been wanting to pick up this book, but just never did the last few years.
Although I am very familiar with much of his story, I'm betting it will be a great read. So many people have recommended it to me and told me to get a copy, I just had to finally go ahead and snag me one.

I will add in my newest pickup in the next couple of days.......

Last edited by DJCollector1; 06-17-2020 at 01:46 AM.
Old 06-17-2020, 08:14 AM

Scott,

Looking forward to see how this one turns out. If you’re going to be adding a cut signature/signed index, be careful. A lot of forgeries/friend signed items out there. Good luck in your quest.

Mike
Old 06-17-2020, 08:22 PM
Scott M.@.r.k.s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by docpatlv View Post
Scott,

Looking forward to see how this one turns out. If you’re going to be adding a cut signature/signed index, be careful. A lot of forgeries/friend signed items out there. Good luck in your quest.

Mike

Yes, there are a bunch of bad ones. But there are definitely some good ones to be had.
I actually contacted another board member concerning the "item" I was looking at getting.
I will try and PM you in a bit.

Meanwhile, today this came TTM.
Sure, its not a card, but its something I had been wanting reading for some time, and I just finally got around to picking it up off Ebay.

I have heard nothing but good reviews on this book, so I'm anxious to get into it.

Old 06-19-2020, 06:46 PM
Scott M.@.r.k.s.

6-16

Next up to the pump..............

When I saw this card I couldn't pass it up. I knew I was going to include a colorful 1960 Topps in my project anyway.
Although there is a bit of a glare that keeps from showing how truly sharp this card is, you can see the majority of its strengths.
(It does have a slight bit of tilt, for the centering obsessed) But the color and overall look of this one, I thought was great right out of the gate.
Notice the lack of snow and print dots out in the blue field to the left, and thats a serious issue with all 1960 cards.

(In fact I thought about grading it, but I will likely leave it as is and slip it into my project)

Overall this one just popped, and seemed like a perfect fit for my Clemente display.

I have a few more pickups on the horizon, and will likely have 1-2 more by the end of next week.
A good start though.

A few of you know, I was "looking" at a Clemente signed item the last couple weeks.
I did indeed strike a deal with that particular website, and I agreed this morning on a price and to get that item.
Its going to make an excellent addition, and I'm excited to add this in to my collection.
I will have a picture in the next few days to add in here.

Last edited by DJCollector1; 03-29-2021 at 07:18 PM.