NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-04-2013, 07:37 AM

Default A few notes from a first timer at the Nationals

Was there all day Friday and most the day Saturday. A few things I noticed.

1. If you want to look everything over real good then 2 days is barely enough.

2. 70% of dealers were real nice, 20% indifferent, 10% seemed to not even want to be there or cared if they sold a thing.

3. Most people I tried to deal with had decent prices or could be talked down to decent prices, some were so thru the roof it was comical.

4. The Net54 dinner was fun with great speakers and Leon did a great job.

5. Leon reminds me of the comedian David Koechner

6. Funniest thing I seen was a young guy ask a dealer if he had a graded card labeled wrong at $225 because VCP was about $65. The dealer then said you cant find this card anywhere in the country at that price and the kid got out his phone and told him he could show him 6 that has sold for that in the last 90 days. No deal was done.

7. Worst thing I seen was a young kid run up to his dad with a huge smile on his face with a 1971 Johnny Bench in his hand that he just bought proud as a peacock. His dad asked him what he paid for it and then tongue lashed him for 90 seconds for spending too much for that card. Price the boy paid? $20. Wanted to give the Dad his $20 back myself if I could choose where I got to stick it.

8. Was my first but wont be my last, anyone who has always wanted to go but never have I advise to make it happen next year by nook or by crook.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:29 AM

Default Thanks for sharing..

Enjoyed reading your thoughts about the National. I certainly hope the younger generation can be taught properly how to enjoy the hobby.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:23 AM
Rob Ruddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by timber63401 View Post
2. 70% of dealers were real nice, 20% indifferent, 10% seemed to not even want to be there or cared if they sold a thing.
Makes one wonder why the 10% even bother to show up! Obviously they don't need to sell their stuff so why not just keep it at home and skip these shows entirely? Perhaps they are simply there to brag and show off. Hey, look at me! Look at what I've got. Aren't I wonderful?
Old 08-04-2013, 09:50 AM
Ed Woelfle

Default National Thoughts

Quote:
10% seemed to not even want to be there or cared if they sold a thing.
Only 10%? That's low

A few of mine ..
  • I was there the end of Thursday, Friday and briefly Saturday afternoon - I did happen to notice one of the larger tables/set-ups that always seemed to be dead. Note worthy in that it was a big spread, yet few were even strolling by let alone stopping. And not just one time, all three days I was there. They have nice stuff, a lot of it .. and at least 6-8 people working there, but all of them talking amongst themselves, relatively disinterested in what was going on around them. Bored perhaps, many of them buried in their laptops to pay much attention to patrons. Here's the give-away on who -- the head laptop surfer was in his trademark dark t-shirt and top hat.

• Always disappointing to see/hear of stories where kids, young adults .. anyone really is being treated rudely. Everyone here has a story when they were younger and treated rudely by some card shop owner or vendor - common thread is you never forget that. You also rarely forget those who went out of their way to treat you well, truly appreciated your interest and business - you liked them and wanted to do business with them again and again.

• Sickening to hear of stories of theft. Seems to happen at least once at every show, low point.

• I'm always amazed at the number of vendors who still take checks. I understand it's a dilemma with many large purchase items - most shoppers don't have thousands in their pockets (although I'm sure I'd be surprised), and CC acceptance is a hassle, cost, etc .. but checks, to me are old school and they bounce (unfortunately not old school ). Sad to hear of stories of bad checks - and I'd imagine far too often as some spend beyond their means. Hobby = interest, emotion, "gotta have it" feeling, etc.

• On a positive note, I saw many of the vendors I have come to know at this show and others in the Chicago area throughout the year. Nice catching up, what's new, stories on buys/sells, the business in general.

• Loved the pics posted in the other thread, thank you! That glass case with the E98 Black Swamp Find cards within was amazing.

• Pleasure finally meeting Al Crisafulli and his Love Of The Game Auctions table! Nice display of what's up for auction now, I definitely will be an under-bidder (..kidding, hopefully ) on a few!

• Net54 dinner was great - thank you, Leon! So glad to I had the chance to meet many of the folks I have come to know here via name or handle! As Frank Burkett noted, too many to list and wouldn't want to forget anyone - I am truly better off for having the pleasure to meet and know you. Guest speakers were interesting, loved the story of Charlie Sheen and the 1927 Babe Ruth ring. Thanks again to all who made it happen and participated!
Old 08-04-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisguy View Post
Enjoyed reading your thoughts about the National. I certainly hope the younger generation can be taught properly how to enjoy the hobby.
Way ahead of the game
Schlei (Catching) Back run: 10/12 (minus blank back)

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:06 PM

[QUOTE=timber63401;1166421]Was there all day Friday and most the day Saturday. A few things I noticed.

7. Worst thing I seen was a young kid run up to his dad with a huge smile on his face with a 1971 Johnny Bench in his hand that he just bought proud as a peacock. His dad asked him what he paid for it and then tongue lashed him for 90 seconds for spending too much for that card. Price the boy paid? $20. Wanted to give the Dad his $20 back myself if I could choose where I got to stick it.

After reflection, it seems to me that it is high time some dads get a crash course on how to teach their child the enjoyment of collecting baseball cards. For this guy, I'd start with a crash of my backhand across his face. If his poor son still wants to collect and learn about card history, not to mention the history of sports, I would almost be surprised. An experience such as that leaves mental and emotional scars.

The man could have turned that around and enjoyed a wonderful father and son lunch, talking about the great Johnny Bench and how he could actually hold seven baseballs in his hand at once, then discuss Topps baseball, and in the middle of that mention how to know a fair price, and most of all, perhaps ask him, why he so wanted that card, and listen and hang onto every word.

I have blown it with my son many times, so it's easy to lecture. I have had to tell my son I'm sorry and ask his forgiveness. I let him choose his own enjoyments, though no doubt he was influenced by my love of old movies, cartoons, and auto racing. He never got into baseball card collecting, but I'm happy I helped him with his amazing Sonic the Hedgehog collection. I listened to him talk about video games, even if I had to change the subject sometimes to steady my "noives". Today, we're tight, very very tight. He listens to me talk about old regional cards, and I smile and nod about the latest video game he wants to buy.

Here this guy has a son who's genuinely interested in vintage baseball card collecting, and all he can do is trash his kid for 90 seconds because he overpaid.

Yup, as in a lot of things involving children, it's the parents who need an education about good behavior towards them.

Sorry about the long rant, but that item enraged me, too. --Brian Powell
Old 08-05-2013, 02:17 PM
Shaun Fyffe

[QUOTE=brian1961;1166919]
Quote:
Was there all day Friday and most the day Saturday. A few things I noticed.

After reflection, it seems to me that it is high time some dads get a crash course on how to teach their child the enjoyment of collecting baseball cards. For this guy, I'd start with a crash of my backhand across his face. If his poor son still wants to collect and learn about card history, not to mention the history of sports, I would almost be surprised. An experience such as that leaves mental and emotional scars.

The man could have turned that around and enjoyed a wonderful father and son lunch, talking about the great Johnny Bench and how he could actually hold seven baseballs in his hand at once, then discuss Topps baseball, and in the middle of that mention how to know a fair price, and most of all, perhaps ask him, why he so wanted that card, and listen and hang onto every word.

I have blown it with my son many times, so it's easy to lecture. I have had to tell my son I'm sorry and ask his forgiveness. I let him choose his own enjoyments, though no doubt he was influenced by my love of old movies, cartoons, and auto racing. He never got into baseball card collecting, but I'm happy I helped him with his amazing Sonic the Hedgehog collection. I listened to him talk about video games, even if I had to change the subject sometimes to steady my "noives". Today, we're tight, very very tight. He listens to me talk about old regional cards, and I smile and nod about the latest video game he wants to buy.

Here this guy has a son who's genuinely interested in vintage baseball card collecting, and all he can do is trash his kid for 90 seconds because he overpaid.

Yup, as in a lot of things involving children, it's the parents who need an education about good behavior towards them.

Sorry about the long rant, but that item enraged me, too. --Brian Powell
I whole-heartedly agree with you Brian. Unfortunately, his maltreatment towards his son probably extends far beyond the purchasing of baseball cards. It's a real shame, and unfortunate because it will probably chase his son away from the hobby.

Currently seeking Jackie Robinson cards