NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Basketball / Cricket / Tennis Cards Forum

Old 10-29-2020, 08:44 AM

Default hockey forum

Does anyone one know what happened to the vintage hockey forum I can not seem to find it on the web
Old 10-29-2020, 08:54 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Does anyone one know what happened to the vintage hockey forum I can not seem to find it on the web
It's been gone for a long time now. It was once believed the site was just getting a makeover/update, but that no longer holds true as way too much time has passed.
Maybe some others have more info but this is all I know.
https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=275904
Old 10-29-2020, 10:46 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Somebody hacked into the site and just wiped it clean. All the hockey guys are on Facebook now. Look for the following groups:

- Vintage Hockey & Sports Cards Plus
- Vintage Hockey Collector Talk
- Vintage Hockey Autograph and Card Collectors
- VHC - Vintage Hockey Collectors
Old 11-25-2020, 10:48 AM

Default Hockey Forum

The Vintage Hockey Forum was truly awesome! I spoke to Jim at the time that it went down. He didn't know what had happened at the time but he was hoping to get it back up. He was looking for the right person to fix it but it never happened.

To me, the Facebook groups just aren't the same. I do see some of the guys from the VHF, but not all of them. The new groups are more about buying and selling, but I don't see the same kind of vintage stuff that I used to see years ago on the old forum. I have met some new guys though who are serious collectors.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:58 PM
Anson

I miss out on a lot of cool hockey stuff because I refuse to have a Facebook account. I wish there was another option.
Old 11-25-2020, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohman99 View Post
The Vintage Hockey Forum was truly awesome! I spoke to Jim at the time that it went down. He didn't know what had happened at the time but he was hoping to get it back up. He was looking for the right person to fix it but it never happened.

To me, the Facebook groups just aren't the same. I do see some of the guys from the VHF, but not all of them. The new groups are more about buying and selling, but I don't see the same kind of vintage stuff that I used to see years ago on the old forum. I have met some new guys though who are serious collectors.
Hi Earl. It was a great forum with a ton of information. If you are in contact with the former members maybe you can point them here and we can just use this forum. I would love to see the new pick ups from the guys. I just can't do Facebook.
Thanks, Damir

Last edited by Tomi; 11-25-2020 at 05:55 PM.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:25 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomi View Post
Hi Earl. It was a great forum with a ton of information. If you are in contact with the former members maybe you can point them here and we can just use this forum. I would love to see the new pick ups from the guys. I just can't do Facebook.
Thanks, Damir
I'm just a little fish with my collection and knowledge so getting some of those guys here would be great!
Old 11-25-2020, 07:58 PM
Tony

Agree 100%. Not on Facebook and never will be. Love it here on net54. If the hockey conversation and hockey bst picked up not sure I would ever leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer View Post
I miss out on a lot of cool hockey stuff because I refuse to have a Facebook account. I wish there was another option.
Old 11-26-2020, 09:05 AM

Agreed this would be a good spot to get it going
maybe with its own title not bunch it in with basketball etc
I too have no plans of being on Facebook
Old 11-26-2020, 10:47 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:

Agreed. VHF was great! Not too many people posted over there, but whenever somebody did, it was worth a read! Facebook, in comparison, does have groups with hundreds or even thousands of members, however, most of them don't know sh*t and don't have sh*t. Sorry if I sound like an a**hole, but it can get tiring looking at $10 commons day after day.
Old 11-26-2020, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
Agreed. VHF was great! Not too many people posted over there, but whenever somebody did, it was worth a read! Facebook, in comparison, does have groups with hundreds or even thousands of members, however, most of them don't know sh*t and don't have sh*t. Sorry if I sound like an a**hole, but it can get tiring looking at $10 commons day after day.
If it's vintage or pre war I'm good, but the new shiny stuff is just not my thing at all.
Old 11-27-2020, 10:17 PM
Eric Perry

I'd definitely be interested in expanding the hockey talk here on Net54. My card knowledge is more or less focused on 70s/80s/90s; however, I do appreciate the older material.

Speaking of which, doesn't Leon encourage us to include a card picture in every thread?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1933-34-O-Pee-Chee-Series-A-42-John-Sorrell-(Front).jpg (77.0 KB, 159 views)

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 11-28-2020, 11:06 AM
Grant Rainsley

Like many here, no FB for me......and I don't like wearing sunglasses to look at new stuff, I am pre-1980 all the way, and refuse to set foot in the '80's, I do wish this hockey board was more active, as well as Hobby Insider.

Grant
Successful deals with dkbobasa, Mintacular, Hangman, Donscards, Bocabirdman, Goferboy00, Digdugdig, jimivintage, baseballart, jimmysuitcase, 39special, smokeyburgess, scooter, shorttmail66, KCDoughboy, Andrew1975, t206fix, Eggoman, others.

Member of OBC. www.oldbaseball.com
Old 11-28-2020, 12:24 PM
Anson

I'm ok with vintage and modern. I collect the players I watch and appreciate. The 80's have some great offerings and they aren't shiny. Early 80's OPC can be REALLY tough. I enjoy vintage for the history, but most of us didn't get to see Rocket Richard, Doug Harvey, or even Mr. Hockey play.
Old 11-28-2020, 04:03 PM
Eric Perry

What year, generally speaking, is the line of demarcation between vintage and modern?

For me, it's 1988 at the latest. Anything after that, Wayne Gretzky appears as an LA King. Prior to that, there are Gretzky cards in an Oilers uniform, Roy rookies, Lemieux rookies, Pelle Lindbergh cards, etc. I just can't bring myself to call them "modern" cards.

I could see 79/80 being the start of the modern hockey card era. Along with the Gretzky rookie, there are WHA entries into an NHL set, the last regular card of Gordie Howe, and there's a distinctly different "look and feel" to cards when compared to cards from prior years. Perhaps it's the fact that many key rookies from the early 80s played long and impactful careers. Their names were still relevant well into the 1990s.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra

Last edited by Eric72; 11-28-2020 at 04:05 PM.
Old 11-28-2020, 04:21 PM
Paul

I really enjoyed being a member of the vintage hockey forum. I hooked up with a few members there at the Sports Card Expo. I'm more than wiling to BST here, and use this forum as our marketplace. I'm personally not selling anything now, but I'm looking for 2 cards to complete a PSA graded set of 1954 Topps hockey. Looking for PSA 7's of #15 PAUL RONTY and #58 TERRY SAWCHUK.
Old 11-28-2020, 04:26 PM
Grant Rainsley

I generally use 1980 as my cutoff for vintage, just before the onslaught of mass production and numerous other sets coming to market. Obviously it is up to the individual of course.

Grant
Successful deals with dkbobasa, Mintacular, Hangman, Donscards, Bocabirdman, Goferboy00, Digdugdig, jimivintage, baseballart, jimmysuitcase, 39special, smokeyburgess, scooter, shorttmail66, KCDoughboy, Andrew1975, t206fix, Eggoman, others.

Member of OBC. www.oldbaseball.com
Old 11-30-2020, 09:09 AM

Default Definition of vintage

I think it depends on our age...I’m in my 60s so vintage to me in hockey terms is pre expansion 1967. So vintage is yoy age minus 50 years. 😎

While I’m commenting can’t resist given our Bee Hive hockey book a plug; you can check it out at https://beehivegoldenyears.com/. Great Christmas gift to yourself.
Old 11-30-2020, 09:33 AM

It's too bad these guys haven't created a really good forum for vintage hockey, because they have a great site for hockey stats.

https://www.hockeydb.com/
Old 11-30-2020, 10:15 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
It's too bad these guys haven't created a really good forum for vintage hockey, because they have a great site for hockey stats.

https://www.hockeydb.com/
They do have a forum but it looks like it is pretty quiet. A dedicated, hockey forum only, like Vintage cards was, is what is needed back.
Old 11-30-2020, 04:34 PM

Default Hockey Forum

I'm on some of the FB groups. They can be a good place for selling odds and ends and I occasionally pick up a nice card, but not very often. There are a couple of vintage groups on FB and their cut off is 1990.

One surprise for me is that the price of rookies from the early 90's has really taken off, especially 1990. For the most part this happens when they are PSA 10's. I actually see some guys calling 1990 vintage now!

Jim F is still around even without the forum. He got on Facebook briefly, but didn't stay long. Said it just wasn't for him, which sounds a lot like you guys too! I just found this forum, but I'll try to check in periodically!

Good to talk to some real hockey collectors, especially the guys i used to know from the Vintage Hockey Forum!
Old 11-30-2020, 05:47 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by AubreyFerguson View Post
I think it depends on our age...I’m in my 60s so vintage to me in hockey terms is pre expansion 1967. So vintage is yoy age minus 50 years. 😎

While I’m commenting can’t resist given our Bee Hive hockey book a plug; you can check it out at https://beehivegoldenyears.com/. Great Christmas gift to yourself.
I somehow missed this post earlier and missed the Beehive link.
I will be sure to check it out as I currently have around 250 of them.
Nothing rare/expensive but some nice nonetheless. (pics below) Welcome to the site Aubrey. Have we talked/conversed before? I know I talked to quite a few guys back in 2016 when I first joined this site but most names escape me now.

Quote:
I'm on some of the FB groups. They can be a good place for selling odds and ends and I occasionally pick up a nice card, but not very often. There are a couple of vintage groups on FB and their cut off is 1990.

One surprise for me is that the price of rookies from the early 90's has really taken off, especially 1990. For the most part this happens when they are PSA 10's. I actually see some guys calling 1990 vintage now!

Jim F is still around even without the forum. He got on Facebook briefly, but didn't stay long. Said it just wasn't for him, which sounds a lot like you guys too! I just found this forum, but I'll try to check in periodically!

Good to talk to some real hockey collectors, especially the guys i used to know from the Vintage Hockey Forum!
I am also on a Vintage card buyers/sellers site on Face Book as well and have also purchased some nice cards.
Lately for me, however, I have just been reading/looking and posting some of my new gets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1635.jpg (76.3 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1637.jpg (74.5 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1631.jpg (73.5 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1633.jpg (72.7 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1655.jpg (69.0 KB, 105 views)
Old 11-30-2020, 06:06 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:

Jim is still on Facebook. His group is called Vintage Hockey Collector Talk.
Old 11-30-2020, 11:02 PM
J1m Fr@n.tzis

Well, if Earl and Aubrey are over here now, the hockey talk can definitely get more interesting.
I've seen a few others from the hockey forum here too. This is a way better venue than facebook.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:20 AM

Default hockey forum

Well, looks like this hockey forum thread may have some legs to get going.
To try to get back to something like the vintage hockey forum had going.
If someone knows the person who runs net 54 maybe they can see about getting a separate heading under the water cooler section for us.
if this does not happen i guess we can keep replying to this thread with our finds, wants, sales, info, comments, news, etc
Old 12-01-2020, 07:40 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
If someone knows the person who runs net 54 maybe they can see about getting a separate heading under the water cooler section for us.
if this does not happen i guess we can keep replying to this thread with our finds, wants, sales, info, comments, news, etc
I'll ask Leon. However, adding a section involves more than one might think. No promises....but I'll ask him.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 12-01-2020, 08:01 PM

Default Bst???

Is there a section for Buy/Sell/Trade in the Hockey section? (I mean Hockey/Basketball/Tennis Cards!)
Old 12-01-2020, 08:44 PM

Most people put there B/S/T right in with the hockey talk. But really we are suppose to use the last section of the B/S/T above that is a catch all for all sports other than baseball.
Old 12-01-2020, 08:46 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Is there a section for Buy/Sell/Trade in the Hockey section? (I mean Hockey/Basketball/Tennis Cards!)
Generally speaking, hockey BST posts (mixed in with "other" things) can be found here:

https://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18

or, for 1980-present (again, mixed in) they can be found here:

https://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 12-01-2020, 10:26 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
I have been asked by a few folks now in pm's, and have now seen this thread, so I am open to giving a dedicated hockey forum a section for a while (at least) to see how it goes. It if has legs and folks post it will stay, if not, then it might go.

If nothing happens the new section can be reverted . Let me look into it.... thanks yawl

UPDATE - edited to add that I went ahead and just changed the least used forum to the hockey forum and juggled some others. Older threads might not carry over but it's a dedicated hockey space....

Last edited by Leon; 12-01-2020 at 10:50 PM.
Old 12-02-2020, 05:56 AM
Eric Perry

Thank you, Leon. As always, we appreciate everything you do. I (and hopefully others) will begin posting our hockey content in the new section.

Let”s hit the ice, boys.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 12-02-2020, 07:22 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I have been asked by a few folks now in pm's, and have now seen this thread, so I am open to giving a dedicated hockey forum a section for a while (at least) to see how it goes. It if has legs and folks post it will stay, if not, then it might go.

If nothing happens the new section can be reverted . Let me look into it.... thanks yawl

UPDATE - edited to add that I went ahead and just changed the least used forum to the hockey forum and juggled some others. Older threads might not carry over but it's a dedicated hockey space....
Thanks Leon!

EDIT: is there anyway you can change the title/section wording as the old hockey section still reads hockey and this one reads basketball.

Last edited by irv; 12-02-2020 at 07:24 AM.
Old 12-02-2020, 07:59 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Thanks Leon!

EDIT: is there anyway you can change the title/section wording as the old hockey section still reads hockey and this one reads basketball.
This isn't the hockey forum any longer. It is the one below this one that says Hockey (only)...... It was the least used forum. Just look at the headings but there shouldn't be a need to post hockey in this section anymore.