NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on Ebay
Pre-WWII Cards
Post WWII Cards
Vintage Memorabilia
Babe Ruth Cards
Ty Cobb Cards
Lou Gehrig Cards
Mickey Mantle Cards
Goudey Cards
Bowman Cards
T205s on Ebay
Tobacco "T" Cards
Caramel "E" Cards
Vintage Baseball Postcards
Football Cards on Ebay
Exhibit Cards
Strip Cards
Baking Cards
Sporting News
Playball Cards on Ebay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-20-2019, 01:43 PM
insidethewrapper's Avatar
insidethewrapper insidethewrapper is offline
Mike
member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,073
Default REA Many Uncut Sheets

Wow, check out a the REA Auction. A lot of uncut sheets from the '60's and '70s ! Some proofs! Are there many uncut sheet collectors ?
__________________
Wanted : Detroit Baseball Cards and Memorabilia ( from 19th Century Detroit Wolverines to Detroit Tigers Ty Cobb to Al Kaline).
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-20-2019, 03:35 PM
whitehse's Avatar
whitehse whitehse is offline
And.rew Whi.te
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Southern Wisconsin/Northern Illinois
Posts: 1,254
Default

I am aware of one uncut sheet collector that used to post on the PSA boards who seemed to have an incredible collection of uncut sheets from several different decades. I am not sure if he ever made his way over to these boards but his collection seemed to be unmatched. I cannot help but wonder if perhaps these sheets in the REA auction may be his collection.

For the life of me I cannot remember his name but I am confident I will remember it eventually. It's hell to get old.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-20-2019, 04:51 PM
bnorth's Avatar
bnorth bnorth is online now
Ben North
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 6,877
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
Wow, check out a the REA Auction. A lot of uncut sheets from the '60's and '70s ! Some proofs! Are there many uncut sheet collectors ?
I have a few(16) of them. All but the 132 card 1989 Fleer all Bill Ripken Black Box version are error sheets. I know a few other members that have full sheets in their collection.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-20-2019, 07:02 PM
quitcrab quitcrab is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,132
Default

I have one full sheet in my collection. I like the way they display. I don’t particularly like proof sheets or sheets that are missing color or text.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-20-2019, 07:13 PM
mrmopar mrmopar is offline
Curt
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,303
Default

I did a trade with a guy named Craig a year or two ago who seemed to have a lot of proof and sheet stuff. Does that sound familiar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehse View Post
I am aware of one uncut sheet collector that used to post on the PSA boards who seemed to have an incredible collection of uncut sheets from several different decades. I am not sure if he ever made his way over to these boards but his collection seemed to be unmatched. I cannot help but wonder if perhaps these sheets in the REA auction may be his collection.

For the life of me I cannot remember his name but I am confident I will remember it eventually. It's hell to get old.
__________________
Looking for: Unique Steve Garvey items, select Dodgers Postcards & Team Issue photos
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-21-2019, 12:09 AM
Griffins Griffins is offline
Anthøny N. ex
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,181
Default

I have a few dozen, from 1908 to 1971. They are tough to store though, and unless you have a lot of wall space even tougher to display.
I'm working on a few sets in uncut form, if anyone has any '41 Playballs in either sheets or strips I'm very interested.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-21-2019, 02:35 AM
JollyElm's Avatar
JollyElm JollyElm is offline
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 5,211
Default

1965 Topps Uncut Sheet1 Fifth:Sixth.jpg

Is this known already?

In looking at the 1965 Topps uncut sheet from the auction (above), I noticed that there were only three Roger Craig cards, whereas others seemed to appear four times across the sheet(s). So I started to examine the entire sheet and found out that a whole bunch of cards only occur three times.

Among them are:
1965 Topps #411 Roger Craig
1965 Topps #396 Frank Bertaina
1965 Topps #428 Bob Shaw
1965 Topps #383 Felipe Alou
1965 Topps #420 Larry Jackson
1965 Topps #404 Stan Williams
1965 Topps #405 John Roseboro
1965 Topps #419 Ruben Amaro
1965 Topps #382 J C Martin
1965 Topps #372 Clay Dalyrmple
1965 Topps #410 Luis Aparicio
1965 Topps #406 Ralph Terry
1965 Topps #386 Cubs Rookies
1965 Topps #398 Reds Rookies
1965 Topps #422 Aubrey Gatewood
1965 Topps #399 Ray Herbert
1965 Topps #436 Don Elston
1965 Topps #378 Chuck Estrada

...and then I stopped checking.

Are the cards listed (as well as the others I didn't get to) considered SP's?? If this full, two-sided sheet is official (and the only one used), then the quantity of some cards printed was only 75% of the number printed of other cards (it's late, so I'm sure that was poor grammar, but I digress)...unless there was also a second version of the sheet that included more of some cards and less of others to balance out the totals??
__________________
Check out my bucket(s). Virtually everything is available for trade:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706
http://s1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee404/JollyElm/
http://s1036.photobucket.com/user/elmjack44/library/

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980's.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-23-2019, 04:46 PM
jmoran19 jmoran19 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Attachment 373969

Is this known already?

In looking at the 1965 Topps uncut sheet from the auction (above), I noticed that there were only three Roger Craig cards, whereas others seemed to appear four times across the sheet(s). So I started to examine the entire sheet and found out that a whole bunch of cards only occur three times.

Among them are:
1965 Topps #411 Roger Craig
1965 Topps #396 Frank Bertaina
1965 Topps #428 Bob Shaw
1965 Topps #383 Felipe Alou
1965 Topps #420 Larry Jackson
1965 Topps #404 Stan Williams
1965 Topps #405 John Roseboro
1965 Topps #419 Ruben Amaro
1965 Topps #382 J C Martin
1965 Topps #372 Clay Dalyrmple
1965 Topps #410 Luis Aparicio
1965 Topps #406 Ralph Terry
1965 Topps #386 Cubs Rookies
1965 Topps #398 Reds Rookies
1965 Topps #422 Aubrey Gatewood
1965 Topps #399 Ray Herbert
1965 Topps #436 Don Elston
1965 Topps #378 Chuck Estrada

...and then I stopped checking.

Are the cards listed (as well as the others I didn't get to) considered SP's?? If this full, two-sided sheet is official (and the only one used), then the quantity of some cards printed was only 75% of the number printed of other cards (it's late, so I'm sure that was poor grammar, but I digress)...unless there was also a second version of the sheet that included more of some cards and less of others to balance out the totals??
This is standard/known for 77 card series like 1965 series 5 (series 5 CL printed with 4th series too).

77 card series have 3 rows printed 4 times across the 264 card full sheet and then 4 different rows printed 3 times.

John

Last edited by jmoran19; 11-23-2019 at 04:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-23-2019, 05:03 PM
JollyElm's Avatar
JollyElm JollyElm is offline
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 5,211
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoran19 View Post
This is standard/known for 77 card series like 1965 series 5 (series 5 CL printed with 4th series too).

77 card series have 3 rows printed 4 times across the 264 card full sheet and then 4 different rows printed 3 times.

John
Yes, I understand that. But is this the 'only' full sheet used? Or was there a sister sheet with a reconfigured 4/3 split to even out the numbers of each card produced? If that isn't the case, then some of these cards would be/should be considered short prints, because there were 25% less of them printed as compared to the other cards in the series.
__________________
Check out my bucket(s). Virtually everything is available for trade:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706
http://s1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee404/JollyElm/
http://s1036.photobucket.com/user/elmjack44/library/

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980's.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-24-2019, 10:07 AM
jmoran19 jmoran19 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 180
Default

I doubt highly there is a different 264 card sheet. I had saved years ago a bunch of panels from this series and they matched perfectly to both sides of this sheet. Also Topps was cheap, configuring and printing a different layout cost time and $

Last edited by jmoran19; 11-24-2019 at 10:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-24-2019, 10:42 AM
JollyElm's Avatar
JollyElm JollyElm is offline
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 5,211
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoran19 View Post
I doubt highly there is a different 264 card sheet. I had saved years ago a bunch of panels from this series and they matched perfectly to both sides of this sheet. Also Topps was cheap, configuring and printing a different layout cost time and $
Thanks for your continued insight! It's weird that I have never heard of short prints in the fifth(?) series of 1965. Somebody must have brought this up long ago, no?? It's not earth shattering news, but it's surely something.
__________________
Check out my bucket(s). Virtually everything is available for trade:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706
http://s1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee404/JollyElm/
http://s1036.photobucket.com/user/elmjack44/library/

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980's.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-24-2019, 11:02 AM
jmoran19 jmoran19 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Thanks for your continued insight! It's weird that I have never heard of short prints in the fifth(?) series of 1965. Somebody must have brought this up long ago, no?? It's not earth shattering news, but it's surely something.
Right or wrong most people consider SP’s a 50% or less situation but where does the line change to DP’s and not SP’s? Example 109/110 card series have 4 rows printed 3 times and then 6 rows printed twice but I see the 44 cards printed 3 times called DP’s, usually due to people only seening the 132 card half sheet, not the full 264 card sheet. Should the 66 cards printed 33% less really be SP’s?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-24-2019, 02:20 PM
JollyElm's Avatar
JollyElm JollyElm is offline
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 5,211
Default

I think I was always under the impression that all cards were produced in (relatively) the same amounts except for the dreaded SP's primarily found in the higher series. This revelation, although not really very significant, adds a new piece to the puzzle.
__________________
Check out my bucket(s). Virtually everything is available for trade:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706
http://s1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee404/JollyElm/
http://s1036.photobucket.com/user/elmjack44/library/

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980's.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-25-2019, 09:45 AM
rlorenz rlorenz is offline
member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 57
Default

I was hoping for a 1959 uncut sheet...but alas nothing....its one of the last thing i need for the Complete Complete Master Collection for 59 :-P
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-25-2019, 02:11 PM
Rich Klein Rich Klein is offline
Rich Klein
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Plano Tx
Posts: 4,043
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
I think I was always under the impression that all cards were produced in (relatively) the same amounts except for the dreaded SP's primarily found in the higher series. This revelation, although not really very significant, adds a new piece to the puzzle.
Some of the early series over the years are also printed in lesser quantities than other cards in the same set. Hard to quantify without more sheets but I would wager there are easier and tougher cards in many of the pre-1973 series over the years

Rich
__________________
Look for our show listings in the Net 54 Calendar section
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-25-2019, 02:32 PM
JollyElm's Avatar
JollyElm JollyElm is offline
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 5,211
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
Some of the early series over the years are also printed in lesser quantities than other cards in the same set. Hard to quantify without more sheets but I would wager there are easier and tougher cards in many of the pre-1973 series over the years

Rich
Just to be clear, when talking about relatively equal quantities, I was only referring to cards in the same series/on the same print sheets, not across the entire year's set.

Good luck to you and your better half!!!
__________________
Check out my bucket(s). Virtually everything is available for trade:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706
http://s1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee404/JollyElm/
http://s1036.photobucket.com/user/elmjack44/library/

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980's.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-25-2019, 05:10 PM
Griffins Griffins is offline
Anthøny N. ex
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,181
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlorenz View Post
I was hoping for a 1959 uncut sheet...but alas nothing....its one of the last thing i need for the Complete Complete Master Collection for 59 :-P
Mike Gidwitz has one on his site for sale.

http://www.preciouspaper.com/Browse.aspx?ID=7
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-25-2019, 09:22 PM
rlorenz rlorenz is offline
member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 57
Default

True yes he does but 3 k for a 33 card uncut...is really really steep considering the last auction sold at 930 for 54 and a 44 card panel last summer and the prices have not gone up they have gone down sadly. I would expect to be at or below that 930 mark but its worth asking
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-26-2019, 07:53 AM
rats60's Avatar
rats60 rats60 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2,393
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
I think I was always under the impression that all cards were produced in (relatively) the same amounts except for the dreaded SP's primarily found in the higher series. This revelation, although not really very significant, adds a new piece to the puzzle.
What made some of the cards harder was being in a short run high series like 1967. Having a shortage for all the cards in a series makes those printed in lesser quantities in more demand. Then you had the Seaver row only printed 2 times vs. 3 or 4 for the other rows. For lower series there would be an excess of all the cards, so having 3 or 4 on a sheet wouldn't matter. People collecting sets would be able to find all of those easily, but would be chasing after the shorter printed high numbers.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-16-2020, 06:09 AM
Kevvyg1026 Kevvyg1026 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 269
Default

If the relative print quantity was high, then the 3:4 ratio is probably not noted as SPs even though some cards were printed at a lower frequency than others in the same sheet. In 1965, apparently Topps printed a lot of cards of Series 5, so the cards printed at 3/4 that of others are not noted as SPs. The high series (series 7) and semi-highs (series 6) most likely used a similar print pattern as that of series 5, but SPs are noted in series 7 simply because the quantity printed was much lower.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-16-2020, 09:37 AM
Bigdaddy's Avatar
Bigdaddy Bigdaddy is offline
+0m J()rd@N
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 1,235
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevvyg1026 View Post
If the relative print quantity was high, then the 3:4 ratio is probably not noted as SPs even though some cards were printed at a lower frequency than others in the same sheet. In 1965, apparently Topps printed a lot of cards of Series 5, so the cards printed at 3/4 that of others are not noted as SPs. The high series (series 7) and semi-highs (series 6) most likely used a similar print pattern as that of series 5, but SPs are noted in series 7 simply because the quantity printed was much lower.
Three-quarters of a very large number is still a large number. I had not thought of it in those terms.
__________________
Working Sets:
Baseball-
T206 SLers - Virginia League
1952 Topps - low numbers
1954 Bowman
1964 Topps Giants auto'd
1964 Topps
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1966 Topps High's - Any uncut sheets or partial sheets known? G1911 Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) 401 03-16-2021 11:50 AM
80's Uncut Sheets tulsaboy Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) 21 08-19-2019 09:33 AM
Let's see some uncut sheets... LincolnVT Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 66 10-09-2014 11:56 PM
Uncut sheets Archive Basketball / Cricket / Tennis Cards Forum 2 09-15-2007 04:08 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:04 PM.


ebay GSB