NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-19-2010, 08:59 PM
Michael

Default How much would an Addie Joss auto be worth?

Hi everyone.

I have never seen an Addie Joss (HOF) game-used or cut-auto baseball card or PSA or JSA certified auto.

Does anyone out there have one?

How much do you think it these items would be worth?

It seems like there are hundreds or maybe thousands of Cobb / Ruth autos and bat cards out there and I have watched their values decline as every year more are pumped out to the market through Topps, Razor, etc.

I'd love your thoughts on this.

Thanks.
Michael
Old 12-20-2010, 02:22 AM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Players like Joss, Waddell etc. are very tough because they died young, and also because they died a bit before the autograph crazy took off.

I also think Rube signed things with an "X" often.... so Ive heard
Old 12-20-2010, 12:52 PM
Marc S.

Default Michael

I have not heard of a Joss being publicly available in the last 10-15 years. There are rarer HOF autographs -- but Joss is certainly among the rarest.

M
Old 12-20-2010, 12:54 PM
Marc S.

Default Also

Your note scratches on a whole different topic.

When you say you've seen Ruth and Cobb values decline over the years as manufacturers pump out more and more of their memorabilia cards -- you do realize that those memorabilia cards were initially inflated in value due to perceived manufacturing scarcity.

The actual value of a legitimate Ruth and Cobb autograph has not declined over the past decade. What has declined is the (silly) amounts that collectors will pay to have one of those vintage autographs cut up and put in a card-sized holder in a current pack of cards. All the more silly, as both Topps and Upper Deck have repeatedly been called to task for inserting forgeries.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:56 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default very rare...and very amateur estimate

I will just take wild stab at a valuation of $25000-$40000 based on rare examples of other HOF'ers, and stars, I have seen sell. That being said I am no where close to an autograph guy. Maybe one of the experts will chime in and correct me? (please)
Old 12-20-2010, 03:26 PM

Depending what it is on a nice Joss could fetch $75K. I have never seen or even heard of one before but a Bid McPhee handwritten letter sold for that a few years ago and a twice signed Willie Keeler diary sold for almost $100,000 earlier this year so it is in the same range as those guys if one ever surfaced. Just a guess though.

Rhys
Old 12-20-2010, 03:42 PM
Anthøny N. ex

About $400 in a Coach's Corner auction. You want it in red sharpie or green?
Old 12-21-2010, 07:19 AM
Jason Jones

Default Joss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins View Post
About $400 in a Coach's Corner auction. You want it in red sharpie or green?

Call up CC and tell them to let you know if they acquire one and I'm sure a nice single-signed ball will magically appear in their next auction. Even better, I'm sure it'll come with a forensics cert. or COA from Chris Morales or STAT
Old 12-21-2010, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesphan View Post

When you say you've seen Ruth and Cobb values decline over the years as manufacturers pump out more and more of their memorabilia cards -- you do realize that those memorabilia cards were initially inflated in value due to perceived manufacturing scarcity.

The actual value of a legitimate Ruth and Cobb autograph has not declined over the past decade. What has declined is the (silly) amounts that collectors will pay to have one of those vintage autographs cut up and put in a card-sized holder in a current pack of cards. All the more silly, as both Topps and Upper Deck have repeatedly been called to task for inserting forgeries.
+1
Old 12-21-2010, 01:25 PM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesphan View Post

I have heard this point made, but the argument that a Topps or Upper Deck produced cut autograph should hold no premium over any other cut sig seems an argument against baseball cards in general. I mean, why is an Albert Pujols card from 2001 worth what it is? I can write a bio and some stats on the back of a photo of his from 2001. Why pay more from the same made from Upper Deck?

Everything we collect has ZERO intrinsic value. Value is constructed by a group of collectors and whatever they are willing to pay. Having said that, cut autos from manufacturers have dropped in value, but they will always maintain a premium over other cut sigs.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all

Last edited by mighty bombjack; 12-21-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:25 AM
Michael

This has been an interesting post.

I guess my point about how Topps/UD/Razor have been pumping out the cuts / autos / game-used is that these items are now in large supply and their costs range significantly. If I owned a Ty Cobb auto or Game-Used, I would be concerned that its value is decreasing as new examples are coming out each year in the high-end products.

For example...a few years ago it was hard to get a Ty Cobb game-used bat card. Now, just a quick survey of recent eBay auctions reveals that they are plentiful and that their prices are as low as $30 and maybe even less. And yet the same slice of bat card can also sell for 10x more.

Here are just a few SOLD items on eBay...

TY COBB 2010 TOPPS TRIBUTE BLUE GAME BAT #60/75
Sold for $30.66

2010 Topps Tribute Ty Cobb BLACK REF BAT #/50
Sold for $34.01

2009 TOPPS T-206 TY COBB POLAR BEAR GAME USED BAT
Sold for $100

2010 TOPPS STERLING TY COBB 6X BAT CARD #1/1
Sold for $255

TY COBB 2004 DONRUSS CLASSICS AUTHENTIC GAME BAT 08/10
Sold for $325

Ty Cobb Autos also reflect this range...(same thing here: these are recent items sold on eBay):

2007 SP LEGENDARY CUTS TY COBB CUT AUTO AUTOGRAPH #1/2
Sold for $2370

+1/1+Ty Cobb+Signed+Top​ps T206 AUTO+PSA/DNA+20​09+
Sold for $1200

TY COBB auto check PSA/DNA 9 Tigers HOF
Sold for $1146

Tags
addie joss, auto, babe ruth, psa, ty cobb