NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 09-22-2017, 01:35 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Default Ticket stubs and creases

Do you guys who collect ticket stubs care if they have a crease? Past threads turned into fights about grading or not grading stubs. I have zero intention of getting anything graded. I am looking at collecting bowl game programs from the late 30s through the 70s and maybe adding a ticket stub from the game to go along with the program. My thought is a stub with a crease just shows it was really used for its intended purpose and actually is more desirable to me. I was just wondering how the condition of ticket stubs might be perceived? Thanks.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:52 PM
Banned

unless the creases are really really bad, they don't bother me a bit, especially if it's an older ticket or stub i need to fill a hole.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:00 PM

Depends on how bad the creasing is and how it looks overall. If you see one you like and need at a price you're happy with, then I wouldn't worry about it. There are other factors, too, such as wear to and boldness of the printing, where it was torn (and how much left), water damage, remnants of tape, etc. If you find it appealing on the whole, then go for it -- particularly for ones that may be hard to find. These things were torn, put into pockets, bounced around in junk drawers, etc.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:16 PM

Default Stubs with creases

Great topic!
As a collector of vintage baseball tickets for 45 years, I would always prefer to find one with minimal creasing and damage, especially to the front of the ticket.
That being said, some tickets are so rare that finding ANY example is a major win.
If the ticket is not especially scarce and multiple examples exist, I would always recommend that you add the nicer example.
The major takeaway is you cannot go wrong buying quality.

I just think that having an exit plan is always smart.
A quality example will be much easier to resell if the time ever comes to sell, IMHO.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 09-22-2017 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:49 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

What Scott said ....

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears
Old 09-22-2017, 05:21 PM
keith janosky

I don't mind tickets with minor creases or very minor flaws especially ones from the early 1900's till say the 60s anything newer from say the 90s till now I prefer in as mint as I can find. I like the older ones with a little use just shows me that they were brought to the game and used for the game instead of mint looking tickets that possibly never left the box office and just stayed in a pile where they look like they were printed yesterday. It's just everybody's personal preference. I've had a half a dozen Ebbets Field last game tickets over the years ranging from all the way pretty beat up to super nice looking ones with no flaws at all and both have sold for about the same prices didn't hardly have any variation in price at all. Everybodys collecting habits are different not really any right or wrong way on condition of a ticket
Old 09-22-2017, 05:27 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Thank you for the replies thus far. I am looking to maybe buy some college football bowl programs and associated ticket stubs from the 1940s through maybe like the 1970s or somewhere along that timeline. I don't know that any of the games or programs or tickets will be exceptionally rare. I will do my best to find the best ticket stub specimens that I can. I was just sort of curious if a crease in a ticket stub was considered to be as unforgivable as some find a crease in a baseball card. From what you guys are saying it sounds like a little crease in a ticket stub is not necessarily the end of the world. I was hoping that was how it worked. To me the beauty of a ticket stub is that someone bought it and went to a game and actually used it several years ago. It got torn and put in their pocket or something. It doesn't get much more authentic than that to me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited by vintagebaseballcardguy; 09-22-2017 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
Thank you for the replies thus far. I am looking to maybe buy some college football bowl programs and associated ticket stubs from the 1940s through maybe like the 1970s or somewhere along that timeline. I don't know that any of the games or programs or tickets will be exceptionally rare. I will do my best to find the best ticket stub specimens that I can. I was just sort of curious if a crease in a ticket stub was considered to be as unforgivable as some find a crease in a baseball card. From what you guys are saying it sounds like a little crease in a ticket stub is not necessarily the end of the world. I was hoping that was how it worked. To me the beauty of a ticket stub is that someone bought it and went to a game and actually used it several years ago. It got torn and put in their pocket or something. It doesn't get much more authentic than that to me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
A vintage ticket stub is game used. As such, creases and other minor imperfections are part of their pedigree.
Additionally, if something cool happened in the game, occasionally the patron will notate that on the ticket in pencil or pen.
One of my personal favorite no-hitter tickets in my collection is from HOF'er Juan Marichal's no-hitter in 1963. The back of the ticket has petrified hotdog mustard on it. Definitely game used!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Juan Marichal signed no-hit ticket front.jpg (36.2 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg Juan Marichal signed no-hit ticket back.jpg (38.3 KB, 218 views)

Last edited by Scott Garner; 09-22-2017 at 06:41 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:21 PM

Default Two tuff tickets and programs!

The 1947 Cotton Bowl game program and ticket are difficult to find. LSU vs. Arkansas in a blizzard! I believe it was a 0 - 0 tie.
The 1950 Presidential Cup Bowl is next to impossible to find. Georgia vs. Texas A&M. Georgia was down 40 - 0 but scored 20 late in the game.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:47 PM
Br.ent So.bie

To basically echo what Scott said, if you're able to discriminate, choose the nicer example. For rare tickets, as an antique hockey collector, with specimens IMPOSSIBLE to locate.... I'd excitedly accept something that looks like your dog spent the day chewing on it. In fact, if anyone here can produce a 19th century pre-1900 Stanley Cup finals ticket/stub.... I'll gladly pay just to see it.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:35 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

I'm all about how they display. If they have a crease, but look nice on display, no problem. I'll take a crease over a jagged end any day.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:57 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

As mentioned, it's 'game used' not a trading card. If it wasn't used to get into a game, it would seem to me to be less desirable.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:41 AM
Dave Grob

Default Ticket Stubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
As mentioned, it's 'game used' not a trading card. If it wasn't used to get into a game, it would seem to me to be less desirable.
Could not agree more. For me, the trifecta is a nice used stub, together with scored program, and the program has annotations for things that happened that day during the game or other notes about the people who were there.

Dave Grob
Old 09-23-2017, 07:00 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Do you guys who collect ticket stubs care if they have a crease? Past threads turned into fights about grading or not grading stubs. I have zero intention of getting anything graded. I am looking at collecting bowl game programs from the late 30s through the 70s and maybe adding a ticket stub from the game to go along with the program. My thought is a stub with a crease just shows it was really used for its intended purpose and actually is more desirable to me. I was just wondering how the condition of ticket stubs might be perceived? Thanks.
Like others have said I don't mind minor creases in a stub. Now I would prefer one without a crease and in the best condition I can find. I wouldn't go as far as what you said and be "actually more desirable". I'm not into grading stubs, or cards for that matter, so what a grading company state about a grade doesn't do anything for me at all.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:42 AM
Rob

I don't want anything graded. Takes up too much space, costs too much, too arbitrary (if not suspect) and it makes it too hard to actually enjoy the collection.

Creases don't bother me, especially on older, hard to find tickets. These days, I'd be suspicious of an 80 year old ticket that didn't have creases. I'd rather have it show it's age and remove all doubt.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:52 AM
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Grob View Post
Could not agree more. For me, the trifecta is a nice used stub, together with scored program, and the program has annotations for things that happened that day during the game or other notes about the people who were there.

Dave Grob
I too prefer scorecards that have been scored and I really don't mind a crease or wear too much. It shows someone used it at the game, payed attention to the game and thought enough about it, to take it home and save it. I always wonder who that person was, who they were with and how much they enjoyed the day.

I keep score at the games I attend at Wrigley and annotate my scorecards; weather, people I know at the game and anything else I find interesting. I enjoy looking back at them.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:52 AM
Rick

deleted (double post) ???

Last edited by RTK; 09-24-2017 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:35 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
My thought is a stub with a crease just shows it was really used for its intended purpose and actually is more desirable to me.
I've always been careful with my tickets when I go to games. In the days when tickets were torn, I'd always fold the ticket along the perforations before giving it to the ticket-taker to ensure a neat tear.

And in recent years, I'd carry my tickets in hard plastic holders - the scanners work through the plastic, so no problem there. No problem, no creases.

Old 09-24-2017, 06:15 PM
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
I've always been careful with my tickets when I go to games. In the days when tickets were torn, I'd always fold the ticket along the perforations before giving it to the ticket-taker to ensure a neat tear.

And in recent years, I'd carry my tickets in hard plastic holders - the scanners work through the plastic, so no problem there. No problem, no creases.

I did the same thing.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:18 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

That's exactly the way I would do it too, Gary...

I can't stand creases on any collectibles (cards, tickets, programs, sheet music, photos, etc.) But also realize I'm pickier than most, and probably not normal (based on the majority of responses above).

My eye always goes straight to the crease, rather than the actual subject matter. Some form of OCD, I suspect. I guess that's why I have very little in the way of paper epherma and collectibles.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTK View Post
I did the same thing.
I have to admit, I do the same as well.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:01 AM
Mike

I've never been a ticket stub collector, but I always try to save my stubs for some reason. At one point I wanted to try and collect at least one stub for every year Yankee Stadium was open, but I realized it would be a costly endeavor for the ones from the 20's & 30's. I was at the game yesterday where Aaron Judge broke the rookie record for home runs in a season so I was thinking about collecting the stubs from games he homered in this season. Also had the idea of collecting the stubs of games Derek Jeter had a hit in.

As far as creases go, as long as they aren't too damaging to the ticket it probably wouldn't bother me. A rip to me would make me pass.

Mike

Last edited by yankeesjetsfan; 09-26-2017 at 11:02 AM.
Old 09-27-2017, 04:18 PM
Clint

I can't decide which I like better so I try for one in every condition. Then I try for different seating levels. Seriously though, as difficult as it is finding tickets from pre 1950 Kansas, I'll pretty much take what I can get.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wtt1.jpg (26.4 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg wt#5.jpg (22.8 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg ws3.jpg (28.0 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg wtt3.jpg (28.8 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg wtt4.jpg (25.3 KB, 82 views)
Old 09-27-2017, 04:27 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

I am looking at collecting some 1960s Chargers AFL tickets to go along with some other such items. While there are some on ebay, I'm not seeing that many. As long as something isn't just totally trashed, it looks like I will be good with it.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesjetsfan View Post
... At one point I wanted to try and collect at least one stub for every year Yankee Stadium was open, but I realized it would be a costly endeavor for the ones from the 20's & 30's.

Mike
1920s and 30s regular season game tickets are not very expensive. What is difficult is determining the year, as most are not dated.

Last edited by David Atkatz; 09-27-2017 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:24 AM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
1920s and 30s regular season game tickets are not very expensive. What is difficult is determining the year, as most are not dated.
Thanks for the tip David.

Mike