NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 12-27-2021, 10:16 AM

Default Looking for Advice on Ty Cobb Autographs

Hello, I am in the market to make an autograph pickup and was targeting either Ty Cobb or maybe Roberto Clemente. I am leaning Cobb at this point and was hoping to get the input/expertise of some members on this board. I usually do most of my buying on ebay, which I know can be shaky at times.

My approach to this point has been to (1) target checks as I have always viewed checks as a bit "safer" / more official; (2) I compare the item against PSAs online exemplars where possible, and finally (3) buy something that has been either JSA/PSA authenticated.

I've been collecting autographs for almost 30 years at this point (since I was very young) so I'm not new to the market. I will not buy an authenticated item if I don't like the look of the signature, as I know they make mistakes. That said, I don't know a lot about Cobb Signatures, and I'm not 100% on any of the checks I am seeing on ebay. Does anyone have tips on what to look out for - for example is Cobb's wife known to have signed for him, etc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 12-27-2021, 10:26 AM
Rocky Rockwell

Default Cobb

Cobb lived a long life and was a prolific signer. Many of his checks are in his green pen and there’s a lot of those out there both certified and not. I would a steer clear of any Cobb letters …. even though there’s a bunch of real ones there’s also a ton of fakes done in the 1960s or 1970s. The signatures on those aren’t even close to standard but people have dropped big money on them in the past to their ultimate regret. Cobb signed checks in black from the 1930s are also available but not as plentiful as the green ink ones from the 1950s. Good luck with your search!

Last edited by NiceDocter; 12-27-2021 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-27-2021, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDocter View Post
Cobb lived a long life and was a prolific signer. Many of his checks are in his green pen and there’s a lot of those out there both certified and not. I would a steer clear of any Cobb letters …. even though there’s a bunch of real ones there’s also a ton of fakes done in the 1960s or 1970s. The signatures on those aren’t even close to standard but people have dropped big money on them in the past to their ultimate regret. Cobb signed checks in black from the 1930s are also available but not as plentiful as the green ink ones from the 1950s. Good luck with your search!

Thank you very much! Are you aware of any issues with spouse signed checks being passed as authentic? Perhaps I’m making up or misremembering but I felt like that may have been something with Ruth?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-27-2021, 11:36 AM
Bob Shannon

Default Ty Cobb

Me holding check
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D2010F7D-AA31-4993-9CCB-12A2F9B04346.jpg (17.5 KB, 275 views)
Old 12-27-2021, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-six View Post
Me holding check

Thank you! Beautiful signature on that one.

Old 12-27-2021, 12:36 PM

I would appreciate if Anyone has any thoughts or issues with any of the signatures on these three currently listed?

None appear to be signed in green ink as noted in previous posts. I do know that Cobb signed frequently in green.

Old 12-27-2021, 10:44 PM
Rocky Rockwell

Default Spousal signatures

As to spousal signatures on Cobb items...... dont know that to be an issue with him, especially on any personal checks. Cobb had two rough marriages both ending badly.... dont think his wives were signing anything for him that Ive ever heard of besides the divorce papers! The famous relative signing that I know of was supposedly Joe Dimaggios sister who was living with him signing most of his items ( not with intent to defraud but just to help out with the volume of requests) No one thought anything would ever be worth any money like that anyhow.
Old 12-28-2021, 10:02 AM

Quote:
As to spousal signatures on Cobb items...... dont know that to be an issue with him, especially on any personal checks. Cobb had two rough marriages both ending badly.... dont think his wives were signing anything for him that Ive ever heard of besides the divorce papers! The famous relative signing that I know of was supposedly Joe Dimaggios sister who was living with him signing most of his items ( not with intent to defraud but just to help out with the volume of requests) No one thought anything would ever be worth any money like that anyhow.

Thanks that is very helpful!

Old 12-28-2021, 08:13 PM
Michael I.

The above checks look good as long as they have perforated bank cancelations and not photo copies. I have owned several Cobb checks over the years. My preference is the PSA encapsulated ones but never ran into an issue with his wife signing any of them. Cobb from what I have read was very "funny" about his money so I highly doubt he would let the wives have control of his checkbook.

Last edited by w7imel; 12-28-2021 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-28-2021, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7imel View Post
The above checks look good as long as they have perforated bank cancelations and not photo copies. I have owned several Cobb checks over the years. My preference is the PSA encapsulated ones but never ran into an issue with his wife signing any of them. Cobb from what I have read was very "funny" about his money so I highly doubt he would let the wives have control of his checkbook.
Quite true. If it's a real Cobb check--rather than a photocopy--Cobb signed it. So, what the hell do you need PSA for?
Old 12-29-2021, 08:52 AM

Thanks to everyone for the responses on this - very helpful and greatly appreciated. I've always generally viewed checks as "safe", but really just wanted to confirm. That said I'm inbetween a Cobb check and a Clemente team signed ball at the moment. Hope to close a deal on something soon!
Old 12-29-2021, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj.cataldo View Post
Thanks to everyone for the responses on this - very helpful and greatly appreciated. I've always generally viewed checks as "safe", but really just wanted to confirm. That said I'm inbetween a Cobb check and a Clemente team signed ball at the moment. Hope to close a deal on something soon!

Just saw this out on eBay & it reminded me of this thread.

Old 12-29-2021, 05:11 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Quote:
I've been holding out for a DiMaggio spouse-signed check, specifically from his second wife.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 12-30-2021, 10:52 PM
Michael I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
I've been holding out for a DiMaggio spouse-signed check, specifically from his second wife.
I see you working!!! Second Spouse always the best
Old 12-30-2021, 10:54 PM
Michael I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
Quite true. If it's a real Cobb check--rather than a photocopy--Cobb signed it. So, what the hell do you need PSA for?
You dont, only 1 of mine was PSA graded and I bought it because it was graded MINT so it does make for an easier resale. But like David said if its a real check Cobb signed it. Very fun and interesting piece to own.