NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-12-2007, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Default T210's- Where's everyone at?

Posted By: Adam J. Baxter

I know that a number of you are working on this issue. I'm curious to know how everyone's doing?

Old 02-12-2007, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andy Cook

Completed series 2, need a couple upgrades. Periodically contemplate doing another series.

Andy

Old 02-12-2007, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

I'm not "big" into this set but I do think it's beautiful. Is it considered a set if all 8 series are completed or does each series count as a set? I couldn't imagine getting all 8 series completed, let alone just one series.

Which are the tougher series? I think I know which two cards are the most expensive (Jackson and Stengel). Are there others that command a high premium?

Is this a set which people take what they can get when you can get it or is it a set where you can hold out for a nicer condition card? What are the higher grades that can be found with this set? For example, you can find several (ok, not a lot) "8's" in the T206 set in the pop reports. At what point (grade) do the prices for T210s go exponential?

Sorry for the questions, I don't mean to throw this OT but I figure the answers could add a little bit to the thread and provide some insights to the non-collectors of this set.

Thanks!

Old 02-12-2007, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Patrick McMenemy

I have a Laughlin (Series 2) and 2 Lucia (Series 2)

Patrick

Old 02-12-2007, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andy Cook

I think you're doing well conditionwise if you can collect them in VG to VG+. It's hard enough to complete any of the series in any condition period, let alone holding out for EX or better. It took me 10 years to complete series 2 and I had no minimum condition requirement.

Andy

Old 02-12-2007, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Fred- The T210 Bluegrass league(series 6) and E. Carolina league(series 7) are the toughest. The Southern set (Series 8) is tough but has 114 cards in the series, more then any other, making examples from it easier to find. Even so series 8 does command a premium from what ive seen. Joe Jackson is in series 8 which certainly hasnt hurt its status!
I own a few of these, and ive been told there susceptable to damage much like 1971 topps cards. the red colored borders(like T205 but even more prone IMO) make these difficult to find in high grade. Edge and corner wear is almost a give in as the smallest touch of wear will show. Yes, it is a 600+ card set but psa hasnt even graded 500 cards(somewhere in that ballpark) total as of yet. Even though these are somewhat plentiful dont expect to see more then a couple handfuls EX or better total.

Old 02-12-2007, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scott brockelman

I spent over 8 years working on this set, reaching 540 or so before giving up and moving on to other sets. I would advise buying whatever condition you can find and upgrade later. The current buying environment will make it even harder, there are few large groups available to buy and go through as I was able to do years ago.

Scott

Old 02-12-2007, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

There are so many different T210s and the prices have been kind of nutty-high recently that I just pick and choose, regardless of series (although I prefer series 4 and 5), cards with nice eye appeal and hopefully no creases although a little corner wear is ok. All mine are slabbed but I know that is not the norm.

Old 02-12-2007, 07:24 PM
Administrator

Bob-
I'll be pretty much in the same boat. Budgetwise, completing even one series would be a challenge, so I suppose building a collection with cards from all series is probably the best I'll be able to do.

Scott- Did you end up holding on to those 540 or did you sell them? I couldn't imagine getting that far and dumping them. I'm guessing you hit the wall trying to find cards from the later series?

I've picked up 8 in the past couple of weeks and judging from the prices I'll be in the poor to good range at best. They're interesting cards no matter what shape they're in. I sold off a few that I picked up here and there over the last 3 years and now I regret it.

Old 02-12-2007, 07:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

I hope I'm mistaken, but it might be that the next Standard Catalog doesn't even list T210s.... I hope I'm wrong about that, I'm about to check into it. Maybe they're backing off on minor league coverage.

I echo Scott's response on a smaller scale. I'd focused on series 6, but was getting all I could find at an affordable price. And about a 4th of the way there it seemed that it was an impossible task. Realistically, I think there are more T206 Wagners out there than there are T210 Jacksons or Stengels. And I have no doubt there are more 'complete' T206 sets than there are complete sets of T210.

So I decided to focus on series 6 (mainly because I'm in Kentucky) and sell most of the others. I have 62 of the 66.

I think the guys that focused on one series have the most attractive approach. Attack T210s in steps, a series at a time. That gives you a sense of accomplishment as you proceed. An exception to the series at a time strategy would be when a card was found at a low price, or when a group or lot could be bought.

For the most part you need to accept cards in whatever condition you find them.

I doubt if everyone on this board could piece together an entire set amongst us.

If T206 is The Monster, then T210 is The Behemoth. Or The Leviathan. Is there some creature meaner and hairier than a monster?

Old 02-12-2007, 07:55 PM
Administrator

In Lipset's encyclopedia he stated that collectors were turned off by the set due to it's large size. Not anymore it seems.

Old 02-12-2007, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: paulstratton

I am at about 30. Mostly Series 2, with some Series 1 and a 3 and a 6.
I sold a dozen or so of my lower conditioned ones recently. I especially like the "fat border" variety.

Old 02-13-2007, 05:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Stone

I agree with Frank. I am also collecting Series 6 and I have found great satisfaction in completing one team at a time. Because there are so few T210 Series 6 cards on the market at one time I have also started completing teams ( Lynchburg for one) in the other series. I hope we can all use the B/S/T forum to trade T210 cards so all of us can enjoy completing even a small potion of the collection.

Old 02-13-2007, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Frank, I think that's quite an achievement to be that close on the Series 6 cards. Good luck on the final four, I still think the "6" series cards are the toughest to find. I don't know if that is because the 7th and 8th series cards have the reputation for being so tough and hence draw high prices, but I have seen a lot more 7th and 8th series cards on ebay lately than 6th.
tbob

Old 02-13-2007, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Zach Rice

I've been collecting the second series for probably just under a year. As of last week I am 43 cards into the series out of a total of 87, pretty much 50 percentt there.

They're beautiful cards and take them in any condition you can find them in. Cherish the nice ones with bright red borders.

Here are a few fat ones for you, Paul:

Old 02-13-2007, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

I have begun collecting the Alabama boys.