NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-19-2016, 05:54 AM
Sc0tt A1paugh

Default What upcoming shows are on your calendar?

With the triple threat of three major shows at the same time this past weekend (Boston, Hofstra and Strongsville), it seems there is some flexibility in the upcoming show schedule.

What shows are you looking forward to attending?

I know the Moeller High School show is coming up at the end of the month and I haven't been there in more than 20 years. Unfortunately, this will be another year that I won't make it.

I'm pretty sure that the next show that we'll be making it out to is the Robert Morris University show in Pittsburgh May 20-22.

I'd love to hear what other local and regional shows attract the interest of the board members.

Blog: www.justcollect.com/blog
email: scotta@justcollect.com
Old 04-19-2016, 06:04 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I think I will be somewhat of a fixture at the Rich Klein (hi Rich) local shows in the Dallas area for the forseeable, near future. Rich has been doing a wonderful job promoting the show(s) he is doing and they are picking up some steam. Casual, friendly and inexpensive to set up at.....and as local as it gets for me.

Last edited by Leon; 04-19-2016 at 06:04 AM.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:05 AM
J0$H B^ck!ey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCollectVP View Post
With the triple threat of three major shows at the same time this past weekend (Boston, Hofstra and Strongsville), it seems there is some flexibility in the upcoming show schedule.

What shows are you looking forward to attending?

I know the Moeller High School show is coming up at the end of the month and I haven't been there in more than 20 years. Unfortunately, this will be another year that I won't make it.

I'm pretty sure that the next show that we'll be making it out to is the Robert Morris University show in Pittsburgh May 20-22.

I'd love to hear what other local and regional shows attract the interest of the board members.
Scott,

Can you actually get any bargains/good deals at any of these shows? I only ask because I've only been to a handful of different (local) shows when I was younger.

Deals for pre-war were few and far between, they all brought premiums for the sake of being there and now I guess.
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%
25/48 Southern Leaguers 52%
6/10 Billy Sullivan back run 60%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Excel spreadsheets only $5
T3, T201, T202, T204, T205, T206, T207, 1914 CJ, 1915 CJ, Topps 1952-1979, and more!!!!

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%
Old 04-19-2016, 06:51 AM
Brendan Mullen

Pittsburgh May 20-22
Old 04-19-2016, 06:52 AM
pete ullman

shows!!!!!! who needs shows!!!!!!!!

I don't think I've picked up anything for my personal collection at a show in decades!!!!!!
Old 04-19-2016, 08:01 AM
Rich Klein

Default I get it in terms of advanced collectors

like Peter who needs very little but even he will attend a National.

The best part about shows, and what I try to do with mine, is to create a fun atmosphere for both dealers and collectors. That means affordable tables, minimal admission, reasonably priced autograph guests and a mix of dealers.

And as Peter himself would admit, the best part of shows is the opportunity for interpersonal communication with fellow hobbyists. And if we can only get our hotel to put a little food and drink dispensary for when they stop serving breakfast, we even have a great section in the lobby for collectors to meet before or after they come into the show.

Come on down Peter, and enjoy the conversation, and I'll even let you in for free since you are coming from way out of state
Old 04-19-2016, 08:24 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post

The best part about shows, and what I try to do with mine, is to create a fun atmosphere for both dealers and collectors. That means affordable tables, minimal admission, reasonably priced autograph guests and a mix of dealers.

And as Peter himself would admit, the best part of shows is the opportunity for interpersonal communication with fellow hobbyists. And if we can only get our hotel to put a little food and drink dispensary for when they stop serving breakfast, we even have a great section in the lobby for collectors to meet before or after they come into the show.

Come on down Peter, and enjoy the conversation, and I'll even let you in for free since you are coming from way out of state
Thank you for the offer Rich! I would certainly attend shows if they were local and had decent content. But those are nonexistent here in Minnesota.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:48 AM
Ja.son Hugh.es

You don't think you will get more CJ's from a scrapbook at the mall show? Pretty small minded.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:50 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
You don't think you will get more CJ's from a scrapbook at the mall show? Pretty small minded.
not exactly sure what you mean by this comment? if you're suggesting I have a good chance of finding quality cards like the cj johnson at mall shows...I beg to differ! Better chance at antique shows/flea markets...but still slim to none!

In 3 decades of collecting this is the first time I've found something like the wajo.

Last edited by ullmandds; 04-19-2016 at 08:52 AM.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:23 AM
Justin

I went to the Ohio show last weekend and met a few dealers who I will be forwarding my wantlists to. You can make some good connections at shows.

The only ones on my calendar the rest of this year are in St Louis and maybe the National.

My collection: https://www.instagram.com/collectingbrooklyn/
Old 04-19-2016, 02:15 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

You're reading in to it a little too much, it's a joke. So are the shows around here.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:28 PM
David $tephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
shows!!!!!! who needs shows!!!!!!!!

I don't think I've picked up anything for my personal collection at a show in decades!!!!!!
The last time I went to a Card show, Canseco still played for the A's. I would kill for one within 2 hours of me now.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:50 PM
Rich Klein

Where in LA are you. one of my dealers runs shows in LA and there might be one closer than you think

Rich
Old 04-19-2016, 03:56 PM
David $tephens

Quote:
Where in LA are you. one of my dealers runs shows in LA and there might be one closer than you think

Rich
Winnsboro to be exact but I'm not above driving to Shreveport, LA or Jackson MS. The wife don't care as long as she gets something out of it. I also have family in Baton Rouge too.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:03 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:

Rich, I am about 4 or so hours away and have been thinking about driving down to give things a look. Every time you post about the DFW area show it gets me thinking again. I am glad to hear it is growing and doing well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 04-19-2016, 05:24 PM
N
Banned

I'm going to be setting up my first table in Minocqua, WI on the 21st of May. So stoked! Unsure how things will pan out, but I'm quite looking forward too it
Old 04-19-2016, 05:25 PM
Tony Gordon

I'm a show-aholic. I set up somewhere every weekend. I don't care if it's 15 tables or 315, I still have a good time. I'm setting up at a small show this Sunday, April 24, at the Hyatt Place Hotel in Hoffman Estates, Illinois. I'm hoping Minnesota shows aren't as dire as mentioned here because I'm heading up to the Valley West Mall show in Bloomington, MN, April 30-May 1. I'll be in Pittsburgh next month. I'm also going to hit one of Rich's Dallas shows hopefully this summer.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:50 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Whatever your expectations might be, lower them. Buyers in this area cannot support a good show therefore none exist. The mall show is promoted by the sports collectors club here and they are good people, but just the regular monthly mall show kind of show.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:55 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Gordon View Post
I'm a show-aholic. I set up somewhere every weekend. I don't care if it's 15 tables or 315, I still have a good time. I'm setting up at a small show this Sunday, April 24, at the Hyatt Place Hotel in Hoffman Estates, Illinois. I'm hoping Minnesota shows aren't as dire as mentioned here because I'm heading up to the Valley West Mall show in Bloomington, MN, April 30-May 1. I'll be in Pittsburgh next month. I'm also going to hit one of Rich's Dallas shows hopefully this summer.
ya...not sure what you're peddlin' but i've been to the bloomingtom mall show and it was a lot of young kids selling shiny stuff.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:10 PM
D@le Irv*n

I went to my first show in over 20 yrs a couple weeks ago In Toronto and really enjoyed it.

Seen some beautiful cards but all those made me wish I had more money!

I did make a few connections, seen some really unique cards, realized CDN prices, even with the exchange rate, are way over priced, and I enjoyed the time I spent with my Father.

Already looking forward to the fall expo, if I am able to attend.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:37 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

For me, the closest show is Tri-Star in Houston (200 miles away). I'm hoping to get over there in June. GT Sports Marketing is doing one in May, also in Houston, that I might try to get to. I also have gone to the last two Chicago Nationals, and will probably get up there next year (I'm not going to Atlantic City this year).

Other than that, pickings are very slim here in San Antonio. I've thought about Rich's shows up in Dallas, but am not sure if it's worth the 270 mile drive.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 04-20-2016, 06:40 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
For me, the closest show is Tri-Star in Houston (200 miles away). I'm hoping to get over there in June. GT Sports Marketing is doing one in May, also in Houston, that I might try to get to. I also have gone to the last two Chicago Nationals, and will probably get up there next year (I'm not going to Atlantic City this year).

Other than that, pickings are very slim here in San Antonio. I've thought about Rich's shows up in Dallas, but am not sure if it's worth the 270 mile drive.

Steve
Rich's show is great and growing but I would only drive around 2 hours, at most, one way to get to it, unless you were coming to Dallas for something else too. Eventually it could be a 3-4 hour drive show but not yet. (at least to me)
Old 04-20-2016, 11:19 AM
Kin K.

I'm having a tougher time finding things to pick up at Rich's show (I'm VERY limited in my collection), but I agree with Leon. I love the enviornment and have made actual friends because of the shows.

We tend to have 2-3 a month on the metroplex, but I don't think I will be hitting one for awhile. Gotta save up some cash...heading up for the 100th Running of the Indianapolis 500!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I think I will be somewhat of a fixture at the Rich Klein (hi Rich) local shows in the Dallas area for the forseeable, near future. Rich has been doing a wonderful job promoting the show(s) he is doing and they are picking up some steam. Casual, friendly and inexpensive to set up at.....and as local as it gets for me.
T206/T213 Scoops Carey back run: 4/4 !00% complete

Focus: open wheel/Indy 500 cards (1911 ATC Auto Drivers (T36), 1954 Stark & Wetzel 500 Winners, 1960 Parkhurst Indy Speedway Winners & 1960s Marhoefer Indy 500), match books & post cards.

Successful purchases from dnanln, pre1960sets, jp1216 & sebie43; RAKs from CW & LuckyLarry
Old 04-20-2016, 11:25 AM
Bill

I'm going to the Moeller High School (Griffey Jr's alma mater) next weekend for their spring show.
Old 04-20-2016, 12:44 PM
Bryan Dec

Default Chicago Show - May 14-15th

The Fanatics group, who puts on the March & November Sun-Times Show in Chicago, are doing a 2-day show, May 14-15th.

http://www.fanaticsauthenticshows.com

Swing by the 1st table on the left & say Hi.

Regards,
Bryan Dec
Old 04-20-2016, 01:36 PM
David $tephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvu_class_of_2001 View Post
I'm having a tougher time finding things to pick up at Rich's show (I'm VERY limited in my collection), but I agree with Leon. I love the enviornment and have made actual friends because of the shows.

We tend to have 2-3 a month on the metroplex, but I don't think I will be hitting one for awhile. Gotta save up some cash...heading up for the 100th Running of the Indianapolis 500!!
When I was single and lived in Shreveport, a Dallas trip was automatic. Now that I am two hours east of Shreveport, I haven't been to the Big D since the 2014 HOD bowl. Still a big Rangers fan though.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:59 PM
Justin

I justify travelling to shows by making a small vacation out of it. Strongsville might have been a little underwhelming if I travelled all that way just for it, but I also hit up Indians & Cavs games, Rock n Roll HoF, Football HoF, etc. I was able to pick up a few goodies at the show too so it made for a great weekend...

My collection: https://www.instagram.com/collectingbrooklyn/
Old 04-20-2016, 06:36 PM

I, too justify traveling to a card show making a small vacation out of it. Card Show then dinner, then concert, repeat the next day. See you all at the National
Old 04-21-2016, 04:36 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Lucky for me

Where i am from (Wyomissing PA) we have multiple shows to choose from within a few hour drive almost every weekend. We also have numerous antique and flea markets that sell baseball cards. Back in the boom years there was a show almost everyday of the year (including weekdays) within a few hours drive.
Old 04-21-2016, 04:44 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Shows

I love going to shows as a customer. There are many times when I drive to a show and I don't purchase anything, but I enjoy talking with the dealers and you never know what kind of cards you will come across.

I attend shows in Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota. I have had some good luck at the Bloomington, MN mall show, but I haven't been there for a couple of years. One of the dealers who had vintage has moved east, so he won't be there any more.

I set up at 4-6 shows a year in Iowa and Wisconsin. Sometimes I do real well and sometimes I don't make enough to cover my table fee. I mainly use the shows to blow out commons and lower end stuff that I have picked up when purchasing collections. There are some shows where the junk sells well and I can get rid of a lot of stuff. There are other shows where I bring a lot of pre-war cards and oddball memorabilia. I enjoy the shows, whether or not I make any money at them. I enjoy trading with other dealers, and many purchases are made before the show starts.

One thing that I have discovered is that there are lot of dealers who are selling 50's, 60's, and 70's cards. The competition is fierce, and there are a lot of these cards around. I try to stay away from cards from those years, except for unusual cards or short printed cards.

Just go and have fun, talk to the dealers, see some nice cards, and you may even be able to pick up something for your collection.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:46 AM
David $tephens

Have any of you Texas folk had any luck in Canton,TX at their monthly flea market? I remember coming across some good tables there but was too busy searching for Beer Advertisements and Signs to give it a hard look.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:34 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Cooperstown and Atlantic City National

Mark Macrae and I will be set-up this summer at these two Shows.

Hall of Fame weekend at Cooperstown on July 22 - 23 at the VFW building on Main Street.

Atlantic City National on Aug 3 - 6th at the Convention Center.

TED Z
Old 04-23-2016, 07:38 AM
Don Hontz

I will be set up at White Plains next weekend Nice 3 day vintage show
Old 04-25-2016, 11:17 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donscards View Post
I will be set up at White Plains next weekend Nice 3 day vintage show
White Plains will be on my list when I start doing more traveling. I have heard good things about it.