NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 01-25-2017, 04:38 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Default Jackie Robinson autograph

Just want some quick second opinions if possible. I think this is good but am I missing something?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2579.jpg (8.7 KB, 272 views)
Old 01-25-2017, 04:39 PM

photo is way to small to make any kind of determination
Old 01-25-2017, 04:41 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

This work?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2580.jpg (13.8 KB, 274 views)
Old 01-25-2017, 04:54 PM
Ben North

Here is a better pic from the eBay auction.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jackieauto.jpg (82.9 KB, 271 views)
Old 01-25-2017, 04:55 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Here is a better pic from the eBay auction.

Thanks I'm on my phone
Old 01-25-2017, 06:41 PM
Scott

i like it at first glance
Old 01-25-2017, 08:30 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
i like it at first glance

So did I. I pulled the trigger. Never seen a signed Jackie stub before. Any other opinions? I don't even wanna get this authenticated if some of the big guys here approve of it.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:58 PM
Michael

Default jackie

I like it too on quick perusal
Old 01-25-2017, 09:15 PM
Richard Simon

www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 01-26-2017, 05:20 AM
Kevin O'Gara

Good..
Old 01-26-2017, 06:02 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Thanks everyone. Your opinions helped a lot. I can now rest haha
Old 01-27-2017, 09:54 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
I just got this in. I think it;s the real deal. The only thing that gives me any skepticism is the fact the pencil looks almost light blue.

Is this a common pencil attribute when on ticket stock over 60 years old?

I have uploaded close ups of each name. is this good guys?

Old 01-27-2017, 09:54 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Or maybe it's a marker?
Old 01-27-2017, 11:53 AM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

Any chance it could be a fountain pen ?
I don't see the typical start and stop "dots" of a fountain pen. But that I would throw it out to you.
If it is pencil and has a blue tint to it then it possibly is a coloring pencil that we used to use to color pictures and draw with back in the day.

Last edited by Klrdds; 01-27-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:15 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klrdds View Post
Any chance it could be a fountain pen ?
I don't see the typical start and stop "dots" of a fountain pen. But that I would throw it out to you.
If it is pencil and has a blue tint to it then it possibly is a coloring pencil that we used to use to color pictures and draw with back in the day.

This could very well be a color pencil. It's got the slightest blue tint ever though that I'm just wondering if the paper stock from this ticket turned it the color. Any thought on that?
Old 01-27-2017, 01:42 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

I have never seen or heard of paper changing the color of a lead (graphite) pencil signature like it can do to an ink or marker signature in my over 40 years of collecting autographs. The paper may darken but I have seen it only make the signature lighter or darker in contrast.
Maybe some other collectors can chip in on this.
But you must consider that if this is a colored pencil signature then it will not be 100% lead (graphite ) it will have some sort of color modifier in it and that may be fading or changing color.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:15 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Stephen, Congrats on the purchase. I saw this on eBay and am sure you paid a good deal of money for this ticket. I am not beating a dead horse from the other thread, but if you had examined this in person, I am not sure that you would have pulled the trigger. I also am not sure that if you decide to return this that you can get your money back. Just my 2¢. I hope that you like it enough to keep it.

Jeff
Old 01-27-2017, 07:22 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuysportsephemera View Post
Stephen, Congrats on the purchase. I saw this on eBay and am sure you paid a good deal of money for this ticket. I am not beating a dead horse from the other thread, but if you had examined this in person, I am not sure that you would have pulled the trigger. I also am not sure that if you decide to return this that you can get your money back. Just my 2¢. I hope that you like it enough to keep it.

Jeff
Are you implying you think it is fake?
Old 01-28-2017, 01:47 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE View Post
Are you implying you think it is fake?
Nope....I am reacting to this post by you:

"I just got this in. I think it;s the real deal. The only thing that gives me any skepticism is the fact the pencil looks almost light blue.

I have uploaded close ups of each name. is this good guys?"

I am not sure of the authenticity myself based on the photos, but I really question the sellers eBay description- "This came from the estate of a relative (nearly thrown out!) who attended the game. This was just discovered in the last week and I'm hoping for a quick sale to cover some expenses. I can not accept returns, but shipping within the US is free. Please feel free to ask any questions. Thanks!". The description also adds "Stored since the game in climate controlled box (not out in light)."

My red flags are estate of a relative who attended the game, quick sale to cover expenses, stored in climate controlled box but almost thrown out, no returns, etc. My experience is that these are common huckster phrases or added extraneous information to help reel the buyer in.

Stephen, even after getting the ticket delivered to you, you are still not sure of the authenticity and are relying on people on Net54 to give you a thumbs up or down. If you were at a show or wherever, you would have had to make this decision on your own. As I stated in previous threads, I think that it would be a great learning experience for you to have to do this all in person. My rule about autographs that do not come with a reputable COA is will I be happy to own this in the future with little doubt that it is real? If I have any doubts, I don't buy it. Let's face it, there is no 100% certainty on any autograph that you do not get in person and there are plenty of stories about autographs with COA's being fakes. I would suggest reading the book Operation Bullpen.

Again, just my 2¢, I am trying to be helpful. Good luck.

Jeff
Old 01-28-2017, 04:48 AM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

I'm not overly concerned about the blue pencil. They were commonly used in the past by dress makers, tailors, industry and in construction for marking.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:22 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:

"I just got this in. I think it;s the real deal. The only thing that gives me any skepticism is the fact the pencil looks almost light blue.

I am not sure of the authenticity myself based on the photos, but I really question the sellers eBay description- "This came from the estate of a relative (nearly thrown out!) who attended the game. This was just discovered in the last week and I'm hoping for a quick sale to cover some expenses. I can not accept returns, but shipping within the US is free. Please feel free to ask any questions. Thanks!". The description also adds "Stored since the game in climate controlled box (not out in light)."

My red flags are estate of a relative who attended the game, quick sale to cover expenses, stored in climate controlled box but almost thrown out, no returns, etc. My experience is that these are common huckster phrases or added extraneous information to help reel the buyer in.

Stephen, even after getting the ticket delivered to you, you are still not sure of the authenticity and are relying on people on Net54 to give you a thumbs up or down. If you were at a show or wherever, you would have had to make this decision on your own. As I stated in previous threads, I think that it would be a great learning experience for you to have to do this all in person. My rule about autographs that do not come with a reputable COA is will I be happy to own this in the future with little doubt that it is real? If I have any doubts, I don't buy it. Let's face it, there is no 100% certainty on any autograph that you do not get in person and there are plenty of stories about autographs with COA's being fakes. I would suggest reading the book Operation Bullpen.

Jeff

Ok thanks
Old 01-28-2017, 05:24 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econteachert205 View Post
I'm not overly concerned about the blue pencil. They were commonly used in the past by dress makers, tailors, industry and in construction for marking.

Ok thanks good to know. I love this piece. I grew up a yankee fan and learned to love Brooklyn as I found out about them 15-20 years ago. Best of both worlds to me on this stub.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:32 AM
Ben North

Quote:

Jeff
I agree with the red flags in the description but on eBay putting "no returns" means absolutely nothing. You can return anything and have a very long time to do it.

I will say it does suck when you actually get something from a dead relative, estate sale, or flee market because people think it is a scam.

No idea on the auto just commenting on the quoted post.