NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-10-2017, 01:19 PM
Jamie

Default How much does a Qualifier affect the Value of a higher grade card?

A question for the high grade collectors... Curious how the qualifier on a higher grade card affects the value? for example.. the below PSA 7 (MC) 51 Mantle.. how would that compare in value to the PSA 5 beneath it? Does the Qualifier knock 1 grade off? 2? would you expect the PSA 7MC to sell for the same, lower or higher then a PSA 5?

Thanks for your help!

the PSA 5 example

Last edited by Blunder19; 02-10-2017 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:25 PM
D.mitr.y D.

I'd say it's usually a 2 full grade bump down, but it really depends on how the card looks overall.

For example, I'd imagine that an OC qualifier wouldn't hurt a card as badly as the MC qualifier (or an MK qualifier if it's a big eye sore).

Also, for older cards (T206 era & 19th century), it seems collectors are a bit more forgiving of qualifiers, and in some cases, a MK qualifier is considered somewhat of a plus if it's a period stamp.

As for your specific example, that's a tough call. The 7 is borderline MC (could have been an OC I think), and the 5, while sharp overall, is off center. The newer flip on the 5 also plays a minor role. If that 5 was dead centered, then it would definitely be nicer than the 7MC.

Last edited by sterlingfox; 02-10-2017 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:25 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

It depends on the POP of the higher grade cards and the card in the whole and the demand. It one thing when there are 500 of the cards and another if its a babe ruth rookie and there are less. It also depends on which qualifiers. Some qualifiers such as one with a MK, which are barely noticeable would likely sell higher that a MC.

Your question really gets into the 'work of art' argument I have. Depends on the eye of the beholder. Sort of a like a PSA 1 Topps Mantle or Authentic. The range in price in those grades can even go for prices a grade or 2 higher depending on eye test on that card. Its a broad specturm as it could also be on a card in the thousands thats on a qualified card.

So i guess my basic answer is i have no idea but i usually bid about 2 grades lower and i never win the card.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:28 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Of the two presented, I'd take the 5...token border is better than no border at all...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:42 PM
Phillip Abbott
Banned

You could not pay me to take a card with qualifier on it, if I can find any other card that doesn't have a qualifier for this reason:

I believe roughly, that the price equivalent is roughly 2 grades or more. That can always change. It used to be based on the point system assigned by PSA. They changed it from 1 point to 2 points lower and the prices went down accordingly. They can always adjust it again in the future. If you are thinking big dollar purchase, you can get pretty beaten up over something completely out of your control.

As noted, it depends on the card front, back, population, and player.

Last edited by PhillipAbbott79; 02-10-2017 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 04:31 PM

Old 02-11-2017, 04:38 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I avoid cards with qualifiers...currently have none in my collection.

Low expectations if you ever have to resell...which I frequently do.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 02-11-2017, 04:41 PM
pete ullman

I also try to avoid qualifiers but it really depends on a few factors.

-How rare is the card? Is there a very limited supply such that finding a better one is near impossible?

-what is the qualifier? a mark may not bother me especially on a blank backed card. honestly severely off centered/miscut cards bug me the most...I avoid those like the plague!

0and lastly I suppose what is the price difference between this qualified card and a suitable alternative? Is it so great that I cant afford the non-qualified one?

Last edited by ullmandds; 02-11-2017 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:06 PM

Default Jumbo Wagner

The most interesting miscut card i have ever seen is the famous Jumbo T206 Honus Wagner PSA 5 (mc). It is not off-center. And it is not worse than off-center, which is what most every (mc) is - worse than off-center. But hey, if PSA says its (mc), then it must be, right? PSA must have figured it has abnormal top/bottom measurement, and that is the reason they slabbed it (mc). Ok, I can sort of maybe see the PSA's reasoning, but I still disagree and it should not be with (mc) qualifier. Then again, who the heck am I.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:08 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100backstroke View Post
The most interesting miscut card i have ever seen is the famous Jumbo T206 Honus Wagner PSA 5 (mc). It is not off-center. And it is not worse than off-center, which is what most every (mc) is - worse than off-center. But hey, if PSA says its (mc), then it must be, right? PSA must have figured it has abnormal top/bottom measurement, and that is the reason they slabbed it (mc). Ok, I can sort of maybe see the PSA's reasoning, but I still disagree and it should not be with (mc) qualifier. Then again, who the heck am I.
i wouldn't kick the jumbo wags out of my bed...errr collection!!!
Old 02-11-2017, 06:15 PM

2 grades lower has been the usual rule of thumb. Given the choice here, I'd probably take the 5.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:25 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

I believe that I read in the past that if you ask a grading company not to include the qualifier, they would return the card at a lower grade. So, a PSA 7 (MC) might come back a PSA 5.

For those of you who say that they would never collect a card with a qualifier, would you now collect the PSA 5 version? At this point, you can't be 100% sure that this card originally had a qualifier.

Are you referring to cards that are labeled with a qualifier?

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 02-12-2017, 09:33 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Grading quantifies an opinion.

Hedging qualifies an opinion.

Perhaps the TPGs should just use an asterisk instead of qualifiers.

But then some would argue that all cards deserve an asterisk.

Problem solved *

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:56 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

At the National last summer I submitted a really nice T206 Wallace PSA 7mc to SGC, hoping to crossover to a straight 7. They very nicely told me they would grade it a 6 but not the coveted 7. I declined and still have the card. I guess I could break it out and submit it raw to SGC and see what happens. That is if I can be bothered.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:03 PM
Glyn Parson

Default answer:

A lot. The two grade drop thing is not gospel. it can be from a one grade to and 8 grade drop. card must still fit the criteria for the grade (centering parameters are in place for all grades). Except in very rare occurrences psa doesn't forgo the mk or mc qualifiers in exchange for lowering the grade. oc, of, pd they will.

Last edited by glynparson; 02-12-2017 at 01:08 PM.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:04 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
A lot. The two grade drop thing is not gospel. it can be from a one grade to and 8 grade drop. card must still fit the criteria for the grade (centering parameters are in place for all grades). Except in very rare occurrences psa doesn't forgo the mk or mc qualifiers in exchange for lowering the grade. oc, of, pd they will.
Exactly, but not sure about an 8 grade drop or even 6 grade drop though...I would like an opportunity at those, but normally it is pretty standard for a two grade drop on a OC card that has fairly full borders. I recently purchased a T206 PSA 8OC Old Mill SLer for the SMR price of a PSA 4. Every now and then you do get lucky, but it's still a qualified card...

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 02-12-2017 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:15 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I also try to avoid qualifiers but it really depends on a few factors.

-How rare is the card? Is there a very limited supply such that finding a better one is near impossible?

-what is the qualifier? a mark may not bother me especially on a blank backed card. honestly severely off centered/miscut cards bug me the most...I avoid those like the plague!

0and lastly I suppose what is the price difference between this qualified card and a suitable alternative? Is it so great that I cant afford the non-qualified one?
Pete's right on this. I would kill to get back my Cracker Jack Joe Jackson 8OC.....