NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-15-2014, 08:45 AM
Andrew Aronstein

Default TCMA past and present...

Hey guys, Andrew and Mike Aronstein here. This is our first post .

We're in the car on our way up to Cooperstown right now, discussing my father's T206 collection from the 1970's, the Wagners he owned, and other stuff that boggles my mind about his time in the hobby.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello and introduce ourselves to the forum. If anyone out there has any questions regarding collecting in the 70's and 80's or would like information regarding TCMA sets, reprints, SSPC cards, or anything else we can help with, feel free to let us know.

Yes, TCMA still exists to this day! Though they are now published through Photo File, we continue to produce the 8x10 Induction Day Cards found in Cooperstown every summer. In-fact the reason for our trip today is to deliver our 2014 cards of Maddux, Glavine, Thomas, and the three managers being inducted.

Bit of a drive, but the scenery is nice and we get to talk collecting .
Old 05-15-2014, 08:52 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Welcome aboard guys, I enjoy your sets. Nice products.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:53 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Welcome to the forum, guys!! Glad to have ya'll on board. We all LOVE to hear stories of collecting from the past so will be eagerly awaiting some when ya'll have the time. My only question is "what took ya so long to find us?"

I know there is a ton of TCMA stuff out there , and I have heard great stories, but really most of the post-war cards are beyond my realm.

Have a safe trip today and once again, welcome!!

edited to add, I agree with Rich, it's great to see hobby pioneers write in the first person.

Last edited by Leon; 05-15-2014 at 10:48 AM. Reason: to remove off topic stuff...
Old 05-15-2014, 09:35 AM
Barry Arnold

Default newbies

welcome aboard the board!
would love to hear your stories about the ancient days.
all the best,
barry
Old 05-15-2014, 09:56 AM
And.rew Whi.te

Welcome...I had quite a bit of TCMA "Stuff" in my collection as a kid and still have a good deal of it here and there. Looking forward to some great stories.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:18 AM
Howie Schenker

Welcome aboard! I remember your dad so well from those 1970s shows at the Union Center in Greenwich Village.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:28 AM

Welcome aboard.
JimB
Old 05-15-2014, 10:29 AM
Rich Klein

Always great to see hobby pioneers speak in the first person.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:29 AM
Jack Vernon

Welcome to the board. The TCMA minor league cards have really bailed me out of over the years in my Indians streak, letting me get players that otherwise wouldn't exist.

The Japanese set was especially helpful as you just so happened to print it in 1979, the one year little used Red Sox and Indians LOOGY Rick Kreuger pitched in Japan which created his one and only card
Old 05-15-2014, 11:59 AM

Default Welcome, Mike & Andrew! One (of many) questions...

Welcome, Mike and Andrew! It's been a pleasure following and dealing with Mike since the early days of TCMA - actually pre-dating TCMA when Mike headed up SCFC (pre-1970). The TCMA commemorative sets certainly filled a collecting void during the days of virtually Topps-only and today hundreds of hobbyists appreciate having sets such as 1936-37 New York Giants, 1942-49 Play Ball, Stars of the 1950s and 1960s and, of course, the comprehensive "The 1930s" set of 500+ cards, among many, many others including minor league sets which Mike's company produced by the hundreds.

Which brings me to my question: Why was Babe Ruth not included in "The 1930s" set?

A final, personal note: Mike and TCMA were among the biggest boosters, 1973-74, for the 20-issue run of Sports Scoop magazine and went on to produce his own collector periodicals - helping keep alive our great hobby. Thanks, Mike! We collectors owe you a great debt of gratitude.

Best regards,
Steve Mitchell
Old 05-15-2014, 12:12 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

I remember as a kid (and my brother), that my mom got us something from Sear for Xmas and it was a starters kit. It came with a binder and sheets and bunches of cards (tcma)
I still got it till this day, sits in my closet. It was those 'immortals' set, I think there were 3 versions in the collection. Havent touch it in years and years...I do remember looking thru it and say look at these old people...yeah it the Babe, Lou, and etc.
This is what got us into the hobby of collection cards. Thank you Mom.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:08 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Awesome! I have a few TCMA sets scattered throughout my collection and am all ears if you guys want to get into your history.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:24 PM

This article I cut out of my dad's INCOME OPPORTUNITIES magazine in 1975, I have saved all my life. It is about how Mike Aronstein started TCMA. It's a quick easy read and you'll love it.

Mr. Aronstein found plates of older baseball players from an antique shop, and hence began the corp.

Love the paragraph in which it is explained he paid $300 for Goudey Lajoie, and $250 for a T206 Plank, and that he pays top dollar. Who would have imagined today's prices?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img871.jpg (79.2 KB, 925 views)
File Type: jpg img870.jpg (86.8 KB, 923 views)
File Type: jpg img872.jpg (78.7 KB, 930 views)
File Type: jpg img873.jpg (82.6 KB, 925 views)
File Type: jpg img874.jpg (83.3 KB, 926 views)

Last edited by joeadcock; 05-15-2014 at 08:31 PM.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:32 PM
pete ullman

I used to have some TCMA stuff when I'd buy sets from Renatta Galasso in the late 70's-early 80's. Welcome and enjoy your road trip!
Old 05-16-2014, 06:56 AM
Steve Birmingham

Great to have you here!

I learn new stuff all the time, and a couple weeks ago I learned something related.
Went to a stamp show and looked through a big collection of baseball covers. And came across one from TCMA. I never knew you did covers too.

I've got a few cards, and like the sets. I especially like the large set with the puzzle back. As time goes by I come to appreciate them more than when they were new.

Steve B
Old 05-16-2014, 07:06 AM
qualitycards

Good to have you aboard.
Always liked the TCMA '50's & '60's sets from the late '70's

Old 05-16-2014, 02:14 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I have several of these and it looks like TCMA was involved with the catalog in some form? There are quite a few different TCMA items for sale...

I had to block out the address label as I believe the collector/subscriber is still living, at least somewhat recently, at the same address, 35 yrs later
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tcma.jpg (76.0 KB, 866 views)
Old 05-16-2014, 02:34 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Tcma

A few things....

Hi Mike! Glad to see you here on the Net!

I got my Wagner "through" Mike in the early seventies!

Anyone know what TCMA stands for? I do, but I'll let others post.

Mike held one of the first collector get together's at his home in 1969/70. Not sure of the date. Just recall I was a Sophmore in college at the time.

He gave each of us a sheet of uncut cards and we all "autographed" the sheets on the reverse as a keepsake. See below.

Those signing were:

Bill Haber, Crawford Foxwell, Bill Zekus, David ?, Nate Cohen, Tom Dischley, Dennis Graye, Mile Jasperson, Yours truly, Bruce Yeko, Irv Lerner, Dan Dischley, Mike, Bob Jasperson, Bill Mastro, Tom Collier, Bill Himmelman, Jim MacAllister and Myron Aronstein.

I also previously posted a photo entitled 5 guys with a Wagner in the seventies.

Top L-R: Mastro, Nagy, Haber. Kneeling: Mike and yours truly.

Good Memories!

Fred
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TCMA10001.jpg (80.8 KB, 852 views)
File Type: jpg TCMA10002.jpg (72.9 KB, 855 views)
File Type: jpg room10004.jpg (65.2 KB, 850 views)
Old 05-16-2014, 06:42 PM

I have a TCMA-related question that I've been dying to know the answer to for years. Do you have any information about this card or the set it came from? I am a Tom Seaver collector and have never seen another one of these. It has a copyright date of 1985 and a credit line to TCMA at the bottom right. The back is blank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Seaver1985TCMA.jpg (81.5 KB, 826 views)
Old 05-16-2014, 06:53 PM

TCMA The Card Memorabilia Assocites. TCMATomCollier Mike Aronstein. My guesses.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:36 PM
Andrew Aronstein

Hey, guys. Thanks for all your enthusiasm regarding TCMA Ltd. We're going to respond to everyone's comments individually and hopefully answer your questions! Here we go...
Old 05-16-2014, 08:43 PM
Andrew Aronstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMitchell View Post
Which brings me to my question: Why was Babe Ruth not included in "The 1930s" set?
(This is Andrew typing, but I'm partially dictating for my father).

Interesting question, and to be honest we don't have a great answer. There was definitely a Ruth glass negative in the find that the set was created from, but it could be that we used that image for so many other sets we decided not to use it, or it was mistakenly left out. Most likely not a conscious decision .
Old 05-16-2014, 08:54 PM
Andrew Aronstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiklis View Post
Welcome to the board. The TCMA minor league cards have really bailed me out of over the years in my Indians streak, letting me get players that otherwise wouldn't exist.

The Japanese set was especially helpful as you just so happened to print it in 1979, the one year little used Red Sox and Indians LOOGY Rick Kreuger pitched in Japan which created his one and only card
Doing those cards was fun and we were growing, that era was an exciting time for TCMA. We wanted to do more Japanese sets but unfortunately, it didn't work out.

Doing cards of obscure players, guys who played in one game, etc. was part of the fun for us . My favorite was Manuel Onis from "The 1930's" set, who was 1 for 1 in his major league career.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:58 PM
Andrew Aronstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMitchell View Post
A final, personal note: Mike and TCMA were among the biggest boosters, 1973-74, for the 20-issue run of Sports Scoop magazine and went on to produce his own collector periodicals - helping keep alive our great hobby. Thanks, Mike! We collectors owe you a great debt of gratitude.

Best regards,
Steve Mitchell
Thanks so much for your comments, Steve. I definitely recall your name but it's been a long time. I think we met way back when, and I seem to have a picture of you in my mind but it's a 40 year old picture .
Old 05-16-2014, 08:59 PM
Andrew Aronstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppcat View Post
Awesome! I have a few TCMA sets scattered throughout my collection and am all ears if you guys want to get into your history.
We definitely will .
Old 05-16-2014, 09:01 PM
Andrew Aronstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
I remember as a kid (and my brother), that my mom got us something from Sear for Xmas and it was a starters kit. It came with a binder and sheets and bunches of cards (tcma)
I still got it till this day, sits in my closet. It was those 'immortals' set, I think there were 3 versions in the collection. Havent touch it in years and years...I do remember looking thru it and say look at these old people...yeah it the Babe, Lou, and etc.
This is what got us into the hobby of collection cards. Thank you Mom.
Was that in the early to mid 80's? If they are the kits I'm thinking of those were done by us through a company called CMC, or Collectors Marketing Corp. Located in Manhattan on 27th Street and 12th Ave. Incidentally, this was also the building where George Matesky "The Mad Bomber" stored his explosives.

Last edited by TCMA; 05-16-2014 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:06 PM
Andrew Aronstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeadcock View Post
This article I cut out of my dad's INCOME OPPORTUNITIES magazine in 1975, I have saved all my life. It is about how Mike Aronstein started TCMA. It's a quick easy read and you'll love it.

Mr. Aronstein found plates of older baseball players from an antique shop, and hence began the corp.

Love the paragraph in which it is explained he paid $300 for Goudey Lajoie, and $250 for a T206 Plank, and that he pays top dollar. Who would have imagined today's prices?
Amazing that a copy of that article still exists! It's mostly accurate. I do have to read it over more closely but some of what's in that article needs correcting. I'll try and delve into that more tomorrow.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:11 PM
Andrew Aronstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Went to a stamp show and looked through a big collection of baseball covers. And came across one from TCMA. I never knew you did covers too.
We did a LOT of covers. One series was called "On This Day in Baseball History," and we did a set of autographed covers of baseball events, with CMC (Collectors Marketing Corp). Among others.

In 1998 we got into covers quite heavily when we produced covers through Photo File that were offered for sale in USPS locations across the country. Most of those were matted with a photo. We did those until around 2006.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:13 PM
Andrew Aronstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I have several of these and it looks like TCMA was involved with the catalog in some form? There are quite a few different TCMA items for sale...
Yes, we produced Baseball Advertiser . It was printed at Yorktown Printing on their web press. 4 times a year IIRC.

Last edited by TCMA; 05-16-2014 at 09:22 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:21 PM
Andrew Aronstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteymet View Post
A few things....

Hi Mike! Glad to see you here on the Net!

I got my Wagner "through" Mike in the early seventies!

Anyone know what TCMA stands for? I do, but I'll let others post.

Mike held one of the first collector get together's at his home in 1969/70. Not sure of the date. Just recall I was a Sophmore in college at the time.

He gave each of us a sheet of uncut cards and we all "autographed" the sheets on the reverse as a keepsake. See below.

Those signing were:

Bill Haber, Crawford Foxwell, Bill Zekus, David ?, Nate Cohen, Tom Dischley, Dennis Graye, Mile Jasperson, Yours truly, Bruce Yeko, Irv Lerner, Dan Dischley, Mike, Bob Jasperson, Bill Mastro, Tom Collier, Bill Himmelman, Jim MacAllister and Myron Aronstein.

I also previously posted a photo entitled 5 guys with a Wagner in the seventies.

Top L-R: Mastro, Nagy, Haber. Kneeling: Mike and yours truly.

Good Memories!

Fred
Hi Fred, great to see you're here! What a photo! The missing name is Dave Zemsky, from the Bronx, and I still have my copy of the uncut sheet . I'm still very friendly with Bill Himmelman and see him quite often.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:26 PM
Andrew Aronstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
I have a TCMA-related question that I've been dying to know the answer to for years. Do you have any information about this card or the set it came from? I am a Tom Seaver collector and have never seen another one of these. It has a copyright date of 1985 and a credit line to TCMA at the bottom right. The back is blank.
What I think (and will confirm in our archives when I can) was that this was an insert/stiffener for an event cover. It was part of an autographed event cover series featuring various players.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:28 PM
Jack T

Great to see you guys here! I've already enjoyed reading what's been posted so far.

I always liked the SSPC sets and especially liked the team sets like 1960 Pirates, 1927 Yankees, 1919 White Sox & 1955 Dodgers (with their postcard sized team pictures), All-Time team sets...

Looking forward to reading more.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:14 PM
Andrew Aronstein

Collecting the 1963 Topps set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan_2_2.jpg (29.9 KB, 817 views)
Old 05-18-2014, 12:16 PM
Andrew Aronstein

Myself and Tom Collier with our Cracker Jack reprints. Not sure of the show. 1972?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan_2.jpg (35.7 KB, 818 views)
File Type: jpg Scan.jpg (32.7 KB, 814 views)

Last edited by TCMA; 05-18-2014 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:20 PM
Jason Presley

I've been wanting to write up something of a genealogy of modern minor league card companies, as there seems to have been a lot of convergence of companies (or at least brands) from 1987-1993. How did the TCMA to CMC transition come about regarding the minor league sets produced in the late 1980s? I notice the 1987 cards all have TCMA/CMC copyright lines. TCMA is nowhere to be found in 1988, but in 1989, some (all?) of the "CMC" team sets all say "TCMA CARDS" at the top on the reverse.

Last edited by DaClyde; 05-18-2014 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:06 PM
Andrew Aronstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaClyde View Post
I've been wanting to write up something of a genealogy of modern minor league card companies, as there seems to have been a lot of convergence of companies (or at least brands) from 1987-1993. How did the TCMA to CMC transition come about regarding the minor league sets produced in the late 1980s? I notice the 1987 cards all have TCMA/CMC copyright lines. TCMA is nowhere to be found in 1988, but in 1989, some (all?) of the "CMC" team sets all say "TCMA CARDS" at the top on the reverse.
I'm not sure of the exact chronology but TCMA wasn't doing well at the time and CMC was, so we formed a partnership of sorts. Eventually, CMC was bought out and TCMA was left to continue on it's own. This process happened over the course of maybe 3 years, after which we started mostly dealing in 8x10 photos.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:28 PM

Default Welcome....

Wow...look forward to your posts!
Old 05-19-2014, 11:00 AM

Default Thanks for the answer regarding the "missing" Babe Ruth in TCMA's The 1930s set

Andrew & Mike...

Thank you for the response. I have wondered about this for quite some time and will pass your response along to the several collectors we are assisting in the completion of their TCMA The 1930s sets - including one fellow who resides in Switzerland! (He loves the set and is willing to pay the shipping/insurance costs.)

Again, thanks for the reply and have a great time at Cooperstown!

Best always,
Steve Mitchell

I]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMA View Post
(This is Andrew typing, but I'm partially dictating for my father).

Interesting question, and to be honest we don't have a great answer. There was definitely a Ruth glass negative in the find that the set was created from, but it could be that we used that image for so many other sets we decided not to use it, or it was mistakenly left out. Most likely not a conscious decision .
Old 05-20-2014, 07:09 AM

The first sspc set i purchased was the 42 card set. I believe Jeff Morey took a lot of these pics. Is Dave Zemsky still around?
Old 05-20-2014, 08:53 AM
Andrew Aronstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by footlong View Post
The first sspc set i purchased was the 42 card set. I believe Jeff Morey took a lot of these pics. Is Dave Zemsky still around?
IIRC Jeff Morey lived in Syracuse and he shot only AAA players for us. It's been a long time but most likely it was Bill Hongach who shot many of the players for the SSPC set, and Rick Cerrone (former Yankees PR Director) may have shot some as well.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:38 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Welcome aboard. I met TC at a show in Laurel Maryland in about 1975 and always looked forward to seeing him at shows. I was 14 at the time and he was always willing to share his knowledge with me. Your Dad I met at the Gallagher's shows Starting in 73 again a very nice man who was a real asset to Baseball card collecting. Glad you are part of Leon's wonderful forum.

Regards
Jonathan
Old 05-24-2014, 04:06 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Well I'm not sure this is do-able but is it possible to post a list of every set that TCMA produced? I've always thought they price guides merely scratched the surface.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:13 PM
Andrew Aronstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppcat View Post
Well I'm not sure this is do-able but is it possible to post a list of every set that TCMA produced? I've always thought they price guides merely scratched the surface.
We do have complete lists for the Minor League sets, and I *think* I saw a rather extensive list of the other sets in our archive last week. Will have to double check on that and make sure it's what I think it is. If so, I'll be sure to scan and post up for everyone .
Old 05-24-2014, 10:15 PM
Andrew Aronstein

One of my favorite facts about TCMA (this is Andrew typing, not Mike) is that we did the Roy Hobbs prop cards for The Natural in 1984. Did have an uncut sheet around here but it's currently MIA:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 72311.jpg (74.7 KB, 762 views)
Old 05-25-2014, 12:14 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Andrew- that last piece is awesome. I love when there are the printers colors and marks showing on pictures and lithographic items. Thanks again for sharing!!!
Old 05-25-2014, 02:39 PM
Brad

I've enjoyed this thread - welcome to the board!

My parents got me the Baseball's Greatest Hitters, Sluggers, Pitchers series when I was a kid and I studied the backs of every one of them. As a 12-year-old, that was about as close as I was going to get to owning a Cobb or Gehrig card. I remember really being in awe of the guys who were in BOTH the Hitters and Sluggers sets.

A few years later I picked up a box of cards at a yard sale and when I got home I realized I had complete sets of the 1919 Chicago White Sox and the 1946 Boston Red Sox, along with a lot of other various TCMA cards and 1970s Topps cards. I always loved the Ted Williams card from the '46 Red Sox set (pictured below).

Good work!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stan & Ted.jpg (75.1 KB, 726 views)
Old 08-01-2014, 08:20 AM
Andrew Aronstein

Just came across this article about the origins of TCMA, from 1975. Enjoy :

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=2755,3714538

Last edited by TCMA; 08-01-2014 at 08:21 AM.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:18 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Default Always been a fan:

TCMA products have always caught my attention. I'm not sure exactly how many I personally own right now, but I consider them some of my favorites.

In reading the exchanges in this thread, it does my heart good to see someone who has been so very entrenched in the hobby and has kept their passion for both the hobby and the game. Bravo.

I have never understood how companies like yours survive with all the licensing restrictions involved with marketing any professionally-based sports products. It must be frustrating, but I am glad to see you still pushing forward.

I look forward to any new product you decide to create.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:46 PM
Jason Presley

Default How did licensing work with TCMA?

Given the current state of the various licenses for producing products featuring MLB or MiLB players and team logos, what was the licensing environment like in the 1970s and 1980s with regard to both the minor league sets TCMA produced, as well as the various historical sets?
Old 01-05-2015, 09:47 AM
Andrew Aronstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaClyde View Post
Given the current state of the various licenses for producing products featuring MLB or MiLB players and team logos, what was the licensing environment like in the 1970s and 1980s with regard to both the minor league sets TCMA produced, as well as the various historical sets?
Well, Topps had a license from MLB and TCMA did not, which is why they filed a lawsuit against TCMA in 1975/76 when the SSPC set was released.

Deals with the Minor League teams were reached individually. This generally consisted of providing the teams with half the print run of their team's card sets so they could be given away or sold at the games.