NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-05-2011, 08:10 AM
Steven

Default How difficult is a collector grade t202 set?

Im debating my next set to start. Overall how hard is this set? I count 7 cobbs, but 2 seem to be tougher than the others. 132 cards isnt bad and these cards keep popping into my head like the cracker jacks did when i started that...Just looking for a collector grade here, prefer raw as the slabs will just be broken. Are there special pages for these cards I cant find as well?

Thanks, way go Tigers sweeping the ChiSx!
Old 09-05-2011, 09:28 AM
Trevor Hocking

Well I have been working on a lower end set my self (all SGC graded) and with this set I would like to ask you what is your definition of collector grade? T202's have a tendency of grading very low to there many factory defualts, like the two center folds and the miscuts. So I just tried to go for set with great eye appeal and in lower grade. By doing this I was able to build a great looking set at a really decent price. By the way I also moved from Cracker Jacks to Triple Folders, it must be a natural transition. Good luck with the quest, I am still on mine and found there are many TOUGH card to find in this set. Here is the link to my SGC registry http://www.sgccardregistry.com/set.a...7&userset=1637

Trevor
Old 09-05-2011, 09:37 AM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

I know Geno Wagner (HercDriver) has been doing a master t202 set for awhile now as well. Might want to talk to him about it.

Not exactly easy but not as tough as some.

Joshua
Old 09-05-2011, 10:52 AM
Geno W@gn&r

Default T202 set

I'd say it's not a tough set to complete, depending on how you go about it. If you want the basic set, it will just depend on your checkbook, for the most part. If you want to chase different backs, then it will take a lot of patience. There are three possible backs - red, black 649, and black 30. I don't know for a fact, but I imagine each card can be found with a red or black back. However, I don't think every card can be found with a Black Factory 30 back.

As for the Cobbs - there are a lot of them, but they are relatively cheap compared to the Cobbs of other sets. You'll find the scarcity of the Cobbs is not the same either - for instance, I think the Desperate Slide for Third card is the toughest. As for the rest of the cards, you'll find some that are scarcer than others as you go along, so I'm not sure how they were printed. Others that have always been reported scarce tend not to be, like the Birmingham card. If you don't like Chief Meyers, than don't go after this set - he's everywhere!

The set is beautiful and underrated. I even buy lots of end/middle panels just because they are cheap and fun! If only they were trimmed in T205 gold...

Take Care,
Geno
Old 09-05-2011, 11:28 AM
Trevor Hocking

Thanks for the info Geno. I never really studied the set but always thought it was just an amazing looking and creative set. I never had thought about T205 Gold WOW could you imagin how cool this set would have been!!! It's funny you mentioned Chief Meyers he was one of the reasons I started on this set. He was born in the same city and state I was (Riverside, CA) and is in our citys sports hall of fame. I have donated a few of his items to the museum for display including some of his T202's

Oh and rainier2004 dont tell anyone else how cool this set is
Old 09-05-2011, 02:42 PM
Steven

Thanks for all the info here. Funny thing, my debate is between this set and the t205's...maybe ill start both. Im really excited to delve deeper into this era and the tobacco cards.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:03 PM
Geno W@gn&r

Default T202 backs

One of these days, we'll have to try to put together a Master List of backs for the set and see if we can confirm it with all three backs. Mine are buried among a ton of boxes from a recent move, otherwise I'd start the effort off this week. It's weird how you rarely see Black 30's, but yet some cards seem to be quite prevalent with that back, like Cree Rolls Home. Like I said above, I don't know that a Black 30 set is possible, but it would be interesting to see what's out there...

Take Care,
Geno
Old 09-06-2011, 10:04 PM
I@n Cl@rke

This has become my favorite set to collect over the past year plus. As Lee pointed out, it's amazing how you can get really nice Cobb's at the prices you can... not to mention Matty (got a nice 3 for around $100), Johnson (got a REALLY nice 4 for under $200!), and to be able to get two guys like Baker/Collins or Speaker/Wood on a single card is awesome. I've found I enjoy receiving these cards more than any other set because I get to turn them over and read all that great period text. Friends and more importantly fiancee all think they're the coolest of my many card types. I'm not sure if I'll ever complete the set, but am still picking up any nice HoFers I come accross... was lucky enough to pick up a really nice Black 30 Cobb/Moriarty from a board member a few months back, my only Black 30. Good luck Rainier, hope you go for it.. and incredible collection Trevor.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:44 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Seemed wrong to talk T202s without showing any. A few of my favorites, all mid/low grade, but nice eye appeal.

BTW- Ranier, I have 2 raw T202's in large size toploaders. I'm still looking for sleeves big enough to protect the graded cases.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T202 Speaker Wood front.jpg (78.0 KB, 265 views)
File Type: jpg T202 Baker Collins.jpg (75.8 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg T202 Cobb Moriarty 2.jpg (76.4 KB, 261 views)
Old 09-07-2011, 12:21 AM
Lee B.
lee be.hrens

One more note, if you are looking to buy PSA, always make sure you get a scan of the back I have seen way too many that have really bad backs for their grade.

As far as the Black factory 30's I have been able to track 63 of them and own 28. I believe it is 55 different subjects.

Lee
Old 09-07-2011, 12:58 AM
Trevor Hocking

Now you guys have me thinking. I am going to have to check my backs to see what backs I have for what cards. I never really thought or cared about it before. I will get a list together soon. In the mean time here are some of my favs from my set. All with clean backs!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg us74968.jpg (77.7 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg us108342.jpg (77.1 KB, 251 views)
File Type: jpg us74938.jpg (78.1 KB, 251 views)
File Type: jpg us74962.jpg (78.4 KB, 249 views)
File Type: jpg us74959.jpg (78.4 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg us74992.jpg (78.3 KB, 257 views)
File Type: jpg us74936.jpg (77.1 KB, 254 views)
File Type: jpg us74918.jpg (78.1 KB, 254 views)