NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-18-2021, 08:09 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default 48 Bowman Set [Probstein]

Saw this last night. Don't see entire sets of anything roll around very often these days, so it caught my eye (but not my bid). What do people think of the price? I find the set sort of bland, but certainly is a meaningful set.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1948-Bowman...rdt=true&rt=nc

Please note: any replies along the lines of "Probstein is dead to me," "I would never consider one of his auctions," "I sent him cards once and never heard back," or "I met him at the National once and he was a really odd guy" are already on the record. You have a standing objection to Probstein and need not interpose the same objection at this time.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 03-18-2021 at 08:19 AM.
Old 03-18-2021, 08:14 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Relatively speaking I think that was a good buy for the buyer, in today's market.

Old 03-18-2021, 08:15 AM

Item no longer available?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2021, 08:20 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwang100 View Post
Item no longer available?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Sold last evening.
Old 03-18-2021, 08:33 AM
Dave H@rford

In our current climate, I have noted many buyers are incorporating the fact that the TPG plastic cost and time to obtain them are considerable and these "costs" are being factored in to the buy.

If you figure that there is $1200-1500 worth of plastic and time in this auction, the complete set at $6500 seems CHEAP actually.

Dave
Old 03-18-2021, 08:37 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Good point.

As Yogi Berra might say, "the TPGs are so backed up with orders that no one is using them anymore."
Old 03-18-2021, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
As Yogi Berra might say, "the TPGs are so backed up with orders that no one is using them anymore."
Good one!
Old 03-18-2021, 08:45 AM
P.aul Orl,in

I always liked the set, but wasnt crazy about them until I saw the Uncle Jimmy cards. Those were so clean and crisp, they were psa 5-7s but looked way better. I bought the whole set except the Rizzuto, just missed that one. Went for about the price of this one. Thought I got a great deal. Here is the Musial again.

(Damn, sideways again! Will try to fix but it happens randomly when i upload my photos!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 93895FB0-7C8A-4C0C-A643-69508F87BE73.jpg (19.7 KB, 555 views)
Old 03-18-2021, 10:06 AM
Scott Russell

We actually broke a '48 Bowman set a few auctions ago because most of it was EX/MT - NM/MT but the Musial was only Fair. Have another one now that I'm trying to decide how to proceed. Pretty uniform EX/MT. Also just got in a bunch of pre 1960 sets that are quite nice. We sell vintage complete sets fairly regularly, hard to predict, sometimes they kill and other times I think they slip through the cracks a little.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 03-18-2021, 10:16 AM

I agree with the original sentiment. I find it hard to get excited about this set. Something about it is really underwhelming. I like the 39 Play Ball set just fine so it's not that it's black and white.
Old 03-18-2021, 10:46 AM
Brian

I think that this was a good buy given the market direction The graded Hall of Fame Rookie Card premium makes it a set with considerable upside. Also, it's not like there are a lot of nice 48 Bowmans out there that will tilt the supply once they get graded.... This could/will impact the newer rookies that are selling at higher prices everyday especially those from the "wax junk era" -- many many more of them are getting graded as we speak.< Check out prices on 1988 Fleer John Smoltz >

Okay that's my "investor" schtick... As a collector these cards are not very appealing although they have a certain minimalist appeal. Bowman was just starting out and didn't include very many subjects and not every team is represented. Moreover, they did not include the two biggest names available at the time: Ted WIilliams and Joe Dimaggio. Nor does it include the most important newcomer: Jackie Robinson.

Last edited by Misunderestimated; 03-18-2021 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-18-2021, 11:19 AM
octavio ranzola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misunderestimated View Post
I think that this was a good buy given the market direction The graded Hall of Fame Rookie Card premium makes it a set with considerable upside. Also, it's not like there are a lot of nice 48 Bowmans out there that will tilt the supply once they get graded.... This could/will impact the newer rookies that are selling at higher prices everyday especially those from the "wax junk era" -- many many more of them are getting graded as we speak.< Check out prices on 1988 Fleer John Smoltz >

Okay that's my "investor" schtick... As a collector these cards are not very appealing although they have a certain minimalist appeal. Bowman was just starting out and didn't include very many subjects and not every team is represented. Moreover, they did not include the two biggest names available at the time: Ted WIilliams and Joe Dimaggio. Nor does it include the most important newcomer: Jackie Robinson.
Agree with brian and leon ,,but still a steal
Old 03-18-2021, 11:35 AM
Garth Guibord

It does seem like the buyer got a good deal. And the seller did no favors by not listing the grades of the HOF rookies, which could have easily been done as the sub-heading instead of "SUPER HIGH END," but at least in the description.
People have posted about B&W cards being less desirable in a few places, but I really enjoy B&W photography and cards, and I think some individual B&W cards can be more appealing than individual colorized cards (whether based off a B&W photo or an artist's rendition). The 48 Bowman Musial is striking to me, and continues to be a good deal even in this market.
And on another note, nice disclaimer at the end of the first post to keep things on topic for the conversation!
Old 03-18-2021, 11:56 AM
Rich

Amazing. I bought this set in VG-EX condition back around 1990 - before TPGs - and still have it and spent under $200 on it. Not the most appealing set, agreed, but historically important.
Old 03-18-2021, 12:00 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Probstein sucks. (sorry, I couldn't resist Steve).

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 03-18-2021, 12:05 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
Probstein sucks. (sorry, I couldn't resist Steve).
Ha. Knew someone couldn’t resist.
Old 03-18-2021, 12:11 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Ha. Knew someone couldn’t resist.
I'm just surprised it took 15 posts to get there!

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 03-18-2021, 01:25 PM
Ch@d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harford20 View Post
In our current climate, I have noted many buyers are incorporating the fact that the TPG plastic cost and time to obtain them are considerable and these "costs" are being factored in to the buy.

If you figure that there is $1200-1500 worth of plastic and time in this auction, the complete set at $6500 seems CHEAP actually.

Dave
I actually pulled the trigger on a number of SGC graded '33 Goudeys that I'd been considering the day that SGC made the announcement of the fee increase. It did change the economics for me, especially for graded commons. I, of course, hope for grading deals to come along soon, but I'm not counting on it. The price increase has dampened my enthusiasm for buying graded cards to crossover and for buying ungraded cards as well (for '33 Goudey in particular, I'm still perfectly happy with PSA and ungraded cards elsewhere). I still think that SGC is shooting themselves in the foot by disincentivizing the grading of commons, and missed a great opportunity to capture market share by remaining at $15 when PSA increased their fees, but they surely know their business better than I do.
successful deals with hcv123, rholmes, robw1959, Yankees1964, theuclakid, Brian Van Horn, h2oya311, thecapeleague, Gkoz316, chesbro41, edjs, wazoo, becollie, t206kid, vintageismygame, Neal, bradmar48, iconsportscards, wrapperguy, agrebene, T3fan, T3s, ccre, Leon, wolf441, cammb, tonyo, markf31,gonzo,scmavl & others

currently working on:
E101 (33/50)
T3 set (104/104), complete!
T205 set (108/221)
'33 Goudey
collecting W600s, Walter Johnson
Old 03-18-2021, 01:49 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
I'm just surprised it took 15 posts to get there!
I'm so glad I showed restraint. (but he does deserve it!)

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 03-18-2021, 03:02 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default 1948 Bowman set

My three favorite guys in this set......

. .

When I was a kid, our local Candy store never had these BOWMAN's. We rode our bikes to a pharmacy a mile away to buy them. I put down a Quarter
and purchased 25 cards. When I opened one of the 1-cent wax-packs and found Yogi, I was thrilled.

Regarding the topic here, that is a lot of $$$$ for this set. Including approx. $1600 for 48 pieces of plastic adds insult to injury.

In 2001, I sold my 2nd set (condition similar to my 3 samples shown here) for $400. Perhaps, I should have kept that set

Showing-off here some more goodies in my collection.

1948 Bowman 1-cent wrapper
----

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 03-18-2021, 03:07 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
We actually broke a '48 Bowman set a few auctions ago because most of it was EX/MT - NM/MT but the Musial was only Fair. Have another one now that I'm trying to decide how to proceed. Pretty uniform EX/MT. Also just got in a bunch of pre 1960 sets that are quite nice. We sell vintage complete sets fairly regularly, hard to predict, sometimes they kill and other times I think they slip through the cracks a little.
It's the only year, besides the 1949 that I don't own 1-example of (also, the 53 B&W). I could care less. Learned to appreciate the 50-55 Bowman's a little more in recent years however.
Old 03-18-2021, 03:18 PM
Ch@d

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post

. .

When I was a kid, our local Candy store never had these BOWMAN's. We rode our bikes to a pharmacy a mile away to buy them. I put down a Quarter
and purchased 25 cards. When I opened one of the 1-cent wax-packs and found Yogi, I was thrilled.

Regarding the topic here, that is a lot of $$$$ for this set. Including approx. $1600 for 48 pieces of plastic adds insult to injury.

In 2001, I sold my 2nd set (condition similar to my 3 samples shown here) for $400. Perhaps, I should have kept that set

TED Z

T206 Reference
Thanks Ted, your posts here are just wonderful! I really like the Musial too. He looks so young!
successful deals with hcv123, rholmes, robw1959, Yankees1964, theuclakid, Brian Van Horn, h2oya311, thecapeleague, Gkoz316, chesbro41, edjs, wazoo, becollie, t206kid, vintageismygame, Neal, bradmar48, iconsportscards, wrapperguy, agrebene, T3fan, T3s, ccre, Leon, wolf441, cammb, tonyo, markf31,gonzo,scmavl & others

currently working on:
E101 (33/50)
T3 set (104/104), complete!
T205 set (108/221)
'33 Goudey
collecting W600s, Walter Johnson
Old 03-18-2021, 04:30 PM
Rich

Quote:

. .

Showing-off here some more goodies in my collection.

1948 Bowman 1-cent wrapper
----

TED Z

T206 Reference
Ted, your collection amazes me. The other card I really like in this set is Spahn.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:41 PM
Frank Wakefield

"rode our bikes to a pharmacy a mile away" I love it, Ted.

I rode my bike along the road on which I lived on Saturday mornings, eyes on the ditches looking for Coke bottles. People would buy cold drinks on Friday nights and toss the bottles as they left town. I'd gather them Saturday's, then go home and hose them off so they weren't nasty or muddy. Coke bottles got 4 cents back; Pepsi and RC stuff brought a 3 cent deposit. Then I'd buy as many wax packs of Topps cards as I could afford.

Thank you to the baseball card gods for allowing us bicycles.
Old 03-18-2021, 09:14 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Hi Frank

Great to hear from you.

In 1948 there were three of us avid BB dudes (ages 8 - 9). Joe, Johnny, and me with our Schwinn bikes. We rode
them all over our area. Our 1st adventurous trip was to the Newark Bears (International Lge.) Stadium to catch a
game. That trip was a 24-mile round-trip hike.

A couple of years later, the 3 of us upgraded our "wheels" to 3-speed English Racers. With these bikes we became
more adventurous, like peddling our buts to Ebbets Field in Brooklyn. This trip entailed a boat ride across the Hud-
son River on the Staten Island ferry over to Brooklyn. Our round-trip that day was 60 miles. We were smart not to
tell our parents, otherwise we would have been "grounded" for a week (or two).

We were quite fortunate to live in NJ (near NYC) back then (1947 - 1956). Needless to say, there's where most of
the exciting BB was happening.

Incidentally, in our neighborhood, Coke, Pepsi bottles returned got us 2-cents. Large soda bottles were 5-cents.

TED Z
Old 03-22-2021, 09:50 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Hi Frank

Great to hear from you.

In 1948 there were three of us avid BB dudes (ages 8 - 9). Joe, Johnny, and me with our Schwinn bikes. We rode
them all over our area. Our 1st adventurous trip was to the Newark Bears (International Lge.) Stadium to catch a
game. That trip was a 24-mile round-trip hike.

A couple of years later, the 3 of us upgraded our "wheels" to 3-speed English Racers. With these bikes we became
more adventurous, like peddling our buts to Ebbets Field in Brooklyn. This trip entailed a boat ride across the Hud-
son River on the Staten Island ferry over to Brooklyn. Our round-trip that day was 60 miles. We were smart not to
tell our parents, otherwise we would have been "grounded" for a week (or two).

We were quite fortunate to live in NJ (near NYC) back then (1947 - 1956). Needless to say, there's where most of
the exciting BB was happening.

Incidentally, in our neighborhood, Coke, Pepsi bottles returned got us 2-cents. Large soda bottles were 5-cents.

TED Z
Nice story, Ted. Thanks for sharing.