NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 12-08-2022, 07:19 PM
Ben North

Default New Hobby

Have been watching strongman for decades but have never lifted heavy weights before. I seen a advertisement for building a strongman log for $75. So I figured what the heck lets try it. So I built a much nicer one for around $95. With the wood being $50 and the screws $45. I had the other stuff.

I have never done this before and I have set a goal of being able to press 300 pounds over my head. I am 53 now and hope to be able to do it before I turn 55.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg log1.jpg (193.6 KB, 524 views)
File Type: jpg log2.jpg (183.7 KB, 522 views)
File Type: jpg log3.jpg (198.2 KB, 524 views)
File Type: jpg log4.jpg (133.5 KB, 521 views)
File Type: jpg log5.jpg (132.1 KB, 521 views)
File Type: jpg log6.jpg (147.8 KB, 522 views)
Old 12-08-2022, 08:50 PM
Jeremy

Wow! That is one of the coolest DIY's I've ever seen, well done!

That's an excellent goal and very attainable. Best of luck to you sir.

I picked up an assault bike/air bike, whatever they call it, a few weeks ago and it's been kicking my ass thoroughly. It's a Rogue Echo Bike, highly recommended if you are looking for a full body workout and to lose some lbs.
Old 12-09-2022, 06:55 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad_Hazard View Post
Wow! That is one of the coolest DIY's I've ever seen, well done!

That's an excellent goal and very attainable. Best of luck to you sir.

I picked up an assault bike/air bike, whatever they call it, a few weeks ago and it's been kicking my ass thoroughly. It's a Rogue Echo Bike, highly recommended if you are looking for a full body workout and to lose some lbs.
Nice, we have been thinking about getting one of the Schwinn Airdyne models. I could use some(a lot) weight loss around the midsection.
Old 03-01-2023, 02:47 PM
Ben North

Got some new stuff for my other hobby. Had some brackets made at the local welding shop so I can add weight to the log. I also picked up the support gear for heavier lifting.

I lift the log twice a week and on my light day I do 35 full from the floor to over my head repetitions. Because I just got the brackets I am not sure what exactly my heavy day will be yet.

Still watching the local classifieds and facebook rummage site for a nice used Schwinn Airdyne bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new.jpg (89.6 KB, 410 views)
Old 03-01-2023, 03:53 PM
Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Got some new stuff for my other hobby. Had some brackets made at the local welding shop so I can add weight to the log. I also picked up the support gear for heavier lifting.

I lift the log twice a week and on my light day I do 35 full from the floor to over my head repetitions. Because I just got the brackets I am not sure what exactly my heavy day will be yet.

Still watching the local classifieds and facebook rummage site for a nice used Schwinn Airdyne bike.
This is really cool. That's a hell of a workout. As for the bike, Airdyne's are excellent, but if you run across a used Rogue Echo bike, those are excellent as well, I use one myself.
Old 03-01-2023, 04:09 PM
Dave

That's a pretty bad-ass setup. I know from being 52 myself, splitting wood in the woods, lugging said firewoood up our hill, and having one too many whoopsies...that the "support gear" is the most important aspect of all that equipment.
Old 03-01-2023, 04:55 PM
Jeff H

Ben, that is a really neat log. What is the weight without any additional weights add to it? Good luck with your goal. 300# press is a nice accomplishment.
Old 03-01-2023, 05:25 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiw98 View Post
Ben, that is a really neat log. What is the weight without any additional weights add to it? Good luck with your goal. 300# press is a nice accomplishment.
When I first screwed it together it weighted 185 pounds because it was really wet green treated 4X4s. Then after it dried out and I added the rope it weighed 128 pounds. The brackets for adding plates weigh 12 pounds so it now weights 140 pounds before adding plates. So far I have only had one heavy day and I added 30 pounds and done 13 total repetitions. Should do better this Saturday.
Old 03-01-2023, 05:53 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
When I first screwed it together it weighted 185 pounds because it was really wet green treated 4X4s. Then after it dried out and I added the rope it weighed 128 pounds. The brackets for adding plates weigh 12 pounds so it now weights 140 pounds before adding plates. So far I have only had one heavy day and I added 30 pounds and done 13 total repetitions. Should do better this Saturday.
Wow fantastic

Keep it up. We will exercise vicariously thru you

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 03-01-2023, 06:40 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad_Hazard View Post
This is really cool. That's a hell of a workout. As for the bike, Airdyne's are excellent, but if you run across a used Rogue Echo bike, those are excellent as well, I use one myself.
I would be happy with either. Back when I was looking for used weight plates I saw several bikes listed. Now that I am looking for one I haven't seen one listed. Isn't that how it works,LOL. I am hoping all those who made a plan to lose weight for the new year and then used it twice will put one up for sale soon.

Last edited by bnorth; 03-01-2023 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-03-2023, 12:43 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Be extra careful, Ben.

I turned 67 in January and bench press 55 lbs. every other day.

I can curl 10 lbs. a dozen times.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 03-03-2023, 08:33 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Be extra careful, Ben.

I turned 67 in January and bench press 55 lbs. every other day.

I can curl 10 lbs. a dozen times.

I am being careful and taking it slow. At my age I know now is getting really close to the end of being able to get truly strong one last time. I am also doing a regular weightlifting routine to support the log lifting.
Old 03-05-2023, 07:22 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

would love to see it in action but the workmanship is Fantastic

wish I had that handi skill set (or perhaps lucky I do not otherwise my wife would give me more projects)

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 03-05-2023, 01:48 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
would love to see it in action but the workmanship is Fantastic

wish I had that handi skill set (or perhaps lucky I do not otherwise my wife would give me more projects)
I actually video myself lifting it every time. There is nobody around to workout with so it is the best way for me to work on technique.

I can't get away with saying I don't know how to fix anything around the house because I owned a construction company for 25 or so years. There seems to be a never ending list.
Old 03-05-2023, 05:40 PM

Nice log, mini Austrian Oak! Keep up the work!
Old 03-06-2023, 06:00 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
Nice log, mini Austrian Oak! Keep up the work!
Thanks Scott, any tips from someone who has forgotten way more than I know on log lifting?

I am going to stain it in the spring. Was thinking of putting "The Northern Pine" on it.
Old 03-06-2023, 08:40 PM

Right on bro! I'm picturing your next GOAL being something like this!

Old 03-08-2023, 08:14 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck9788 View Post
Right on bro! I'm picturing your next GOAL being something like this!

wow that is nuts

And he will get to that point in about 90 to 120 days. He needs to work up to it. He is already at 2 on each side

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 03-08-2023, 03:40 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
wow that is nuts

And he will get to that point in about 90 to 120 days. He needs to work up to it. He is already at 2 on each side
Brian is one of my least favorite strongmen.

Not the greatest but here are some pics of a old fat bald guy lifting a log.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg l1.jpg (129.9 KB, 282 views)
File Type: jpg l2.jpg (153.1 KB, 282 views)
File Type: jpg l4.jpg (111.7 KB, 282 views)
File Type: jpg l3.jpg (158.7 KB, 283 views)
File Type: jpg l5.jpg (173.8 KB, 282 views)
File Type: jpg l6.jpg (187.3 KB, 282 views)
Old 05-04-2023, 07:15 PM
Ben North

I added a couple pieces of wood to the log today. When lifting it you roll it up your chest. Before I started adding weight to it the flat spots didn't really make much difference. Now with extra weight the flat spots made it suck.

This is what it looks like now after I cut and shaped a couple pieces of 1X6. It works so much better now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nl1.jpg (30.9 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg nl2.jpg (148.0 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg nl3.jpg (137.4 KB, 246 views)
Old 05-06-2023, 03:09 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
As a regular at weekend estate sales, It seems they pop up at every other sale. Just one of those items like treadmills that wives buy to drape clothes on the corner of a room.

I check estatesales.net each week for a handful to visit with my morning weekend coffee trips.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 05-06-2023, 04:01 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
As a regular at weekend estate sales, It seems they pop up at every other sale. Just one of those items like treadmills that wives buy to drape clothes on the corner of a room.

I check estatesales.net each week for a handful to visit with my morning weekend coffee trips.
I live in a very rural area. I see them in bigger towns 80-100 miles away all the time. I am holding out for one close or when I am going to one of the bigger towns.
Old 06-21-2023, 06:17 PM
Ben North

Finally found a exercise bike cheap and kinda close. Other than the dust from sitting it looks like new. It was $50 and a 70 mile round trip so I am happy. Not sure, I think it is the AD4 version of the Schwinn Airdyne.

I am amazed at how good a workout you can get on it. Pretty sure I did way too much for the first time using one today and will pay for it tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bike.jpg (193.8 KB, 183 views)
Old 09-21-2023, 01:49 PM
Ben North

I finally got around to putting a nice finish on my log. Here are before and after pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uf2.jpg (172.9 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg uf1.jpg (171.2 KB, 140 views)
Old 09-21-2023, 06:41 PM

As more of a city slicker, I don't know what's more impressive -- the fact that you're putting that kind of weight over your head or the fact that you can build something like that (and trust your workmanship enough to throw it over your head so many times without a hospital nearby). Good luck getting to 300!
Old 09-22-2023, 07:02 PM

Ben, I'm sure proud of you. That is one serious weight to heave over your head. May I be so timid to make a small suggestion if, IF, one of your main goals is to lose weight---do some stretching beforehand, and then walk 1-2 miles prior to your workout. You'll HATE it initially, but after a few weeks, your heart will sing, and be much more able to endure the weightlifting.
--- Brian Powell, B. S. , Physical Education and Health, Ball State University, 1979
Old 09-22-2023, 07:02 PM

Ben, I'm sure proud of you. That is one serious weight to heave over your head. May I be so timid to make a small suggestion if, IF, one of your main goals is to lose weight---do some stretching beforehand, and then walk 1-2 miles prior to your workout. You'll HATE it initially, but after a few weeks, your heart will sing, and be much more able to endure the weightlifting.
--- Brian Powell, B. S. , Physical Education and Health, Ball State University, 1979
Old 03-05-2024, 07:16 PM
Ben North

Made another cool strongman toy today. This is my is this going to work version. I wanted to get a giant loadable circus dumbbell. They are around $300 for a good one.

This is 2 20lb propane tanks put together with a piece of pipe that is threaded on each end screwed into the holes that used to have the propane valve in them. The final version will be very similar but with the tanks turned around with a 2 inch pipe 7 inches long welded between the tanks. Then I can get plugs for the holes from the valves. That will make it so I can easily use those holes to add or reduce weight inside the tanks so I can make it weight anything I want.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg giantdumbbell.jpg (216.8 KB, 41 views)