NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-04-2009, 07:04 AM
Administrator

Default Huggins and Scott Auction Ends Tonight & Tomorrow

Posted By: Josh Wulkan

Boardies:

Just wanted to throw a quick reminder that day 1 of our Winter Auction ends tonight. All initial bids must be in by 9:00pm eastern time on lot #s 1-663. Lot #s 664-1309 will end tomorrow night, with initial bids needing to be placed on those lots by 9:00pm eastern time tomorrow night.

There are plenty of great vintage cards and memorabilia in the auction that are still well below market value - feel free to browse the site.

Best of luck with your bids,
Josh Wulkan
Vice President
Huggins and Scott Auctions
www.hugginsandscott.com
Huggins_Scott_Auction_Logo.gif

Old 02-04-2009, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

Josh,

Are you guys really going to continue selling this as an Ansco card?

-Ryan

Old 02-04-2009, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

Okay, this will be my last post about this. To be clear, I am not bidding on this card, nor do I know who is bidding on this card. I am also not the consignor and do not know who the consignor is. I also have nothing against Huggins and Scott Auctions.

I'm not trying to be the auction police, but I do find it annoying when items, especially those in my particular field of collecting interest, are misrepresented. I can understand why you guys are inclined to believe SGC's word over mine, considering they are the ones that will be financially liable when/if the winning bidder realizes the card in the slab is not what's on the label. Still, I offer the following scans so that you can decide for yourselves if SGC "may have made an error when they slabbed it."

Actual 1949-50 Ansco Connors card:
[linked image]

Close-up of ad on 1949-50 Ansco Connors card:
[linked image]

Absolutely NOT 1949-50 Ansco Connors card:
[linked image]

-Ryan

Old 02-05-2009, 05:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

Interesting Ryan. Thanks for at least informing the uninformed. As good as SGC is they obviously aren't mistake free.

Hopefully whoever does ends up with this has at least seen this thread, would hate to think it would get ugly with people wanting reimbursed and such.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

So Ryan, what you're saying is that it's an Ansco card because of that Ansco image on the card. Hmmm....I'm with H & S on this one. You really need to show me some more evidence. I'm not convinced. I mean, how about another Ansco image on the card? Two of the same images would convince me.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

Jeff-

My question is on what grounds did SGC slab their card as an Ansco? At least I've never seen one before...you would think if anyone has SGC has, but there is nothing on the card in question that spells anything out for you, unlike the card Ryan posted.

(I don't have a dog in this fight either, and am clueless on the issue, just respect Ryan's level of knowledge with the Central American cards.)

Old 02-05-2009, 08:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh Wulkan

Ryan and all:

I have just finished speaking with SGC. They have asked us to end the auction and re-submit the card to them, so they can do more research and properly label the card. They (and us) apologize for the error and really thank Ryan for his work and knowledge on this. The card will appear in our May auction, properly identified (if that is possible).

Sorry for any inconvenience that this may have caused.

Oh, by the way, day 2 of our auction ends tonight - make sure to have your initial bids in by 9:00pm eastern time (sorry for the shameless plug, I couldn't resist)

Josh Wulkan
Vice President
Huggins and Scott Auctions
www.hugginsandscott.com

Huggins_Scott_Auction_Logo.gif

Old 02-05-2009, 08:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

"My question is on what grounds did SGC slab their card as an Ansco?"

Dave, I'm not sure how both you and Ryan missed it: it's the "A" on the hat, of course.