NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 09-18-2020, 10:54 AM

Default Rediscovered treasures

As I have posted before, I'm rediscovering items I had forgotten about. If you have had the same experience, post them here.

I found this 1991 Upper Deck National Convention Promo card that I had Reggie Jackson sign for me at the show. Not the clearest scan because I left it in the holder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0001 (3).jpg (49.7 KB, 286 views)
Old 09-18-2020, 05:00 PM
Curt

Neat card, although that dark background really hides the autograph unfortunately.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:42 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Not an autograph story, but a homecoming of sorts, in the vain of the OP.

The first vintage set that my dad and I put together was the 1960 Topps baseball set. I would buy the common cards one at a time and he would bankroll the stars and high numbers. It has been over 30 years since we assembled that set and Dad passed from us two years ago.

I had occasionally looked for the set over the last several years. Dad could not remember where it was and it was not where I thought it would be. I even had started to entertain thoughts that something had happened to it. But I did not give up hope that I'd come across it at some time. Eventually after cleaning out a closet in my sister's bedroom, I came across the binder that contained the set - the only cards in that crowded closet. It was like the prodigal son had returned.

Knowing that the last person to have opened that binder was most likely my dad, it was cathartic going through the pages. Finding the Mantle AS card that was one of the last cards we needed; seeing the creased Mays card that I had when we started the set. And seeing all those Rookie Stars cards together brought back so many memories.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)

Last edited by Bigdaddy; 09-18-2020 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:22 AM

Great story bigdaddy. I'm certain you'll never misplace that set again.
Old 09-20-2020, 11:03 AM

A few more tucked away treasures.

A young Pete Rose in 1964

Maurice Morning Wills

Bill Russell
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3 (2).jpg (43.0 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg 4 (2).jpg (78.2 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg 1 (2).jpg (39.8 KB, 166 views)
Old 09-20-2020, 11:26 AM
Vincent Hecksel

Default Interesting Timing for this thread ...

Just came across a George Allen (Washington Redskins coach) signed 3x5 I purchased 15 or more years ago. Still in the sealed box shipped in.

Not rare or especially valuable, but now “found” none the less.

Last edited by HexsHeroes; 09-20-2020 at 11:27 AM.
Old 09-20-2020, 01:26 PM
+0m J()rd@N

That Pete Rose photo was taken by Walter Iooss who was (is) a prominent Sports Illustrated photographer. It has been published in his book 'Baseball'.
1954 Bowman (-5)
Old 09-20-2020, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
That Pete Rose photo was taken by Walter Iooss who was (is) a prominent Sports Illustrated photographer. It has been published in his book 'Baseball'.
Right. I picked up a partially damaged book at a used book store and was able to "save" a number of pages that weren't affected. Great book btw.
Old 09-21-2020, 09:30 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocjack View Post
Right. I picked up a partially damaged book at a used book store and was able to "save" a number of pages that weren't affected. Great book btw.
I've been collecting signatures in that book for probably 30 years now; most of them are personalized. Have both the Rose and facing Aaron from that spread. Also was able to add Mays, Koufax, Carlton, Reggie, Bench, Marachial, Drysdale, Schoendienst, Tenace, Concepcion, Morgan, Brooks, Weaver, Seaver, George Scott, Goose, Johnny Grubb, Tony O and a few others.

One story from that journey was seeing Dave Parker and asking him to sign his photo (famous photo of him in the dugout smoking a cigarette). At first he refused - "I don't sign that photo", and saying that of all he did in the game, he didn't appreciate that being the only photo of him in the book. Once I showed him several of the other photos that I had signed, he relented and finally signed it.
1954 Bowman (-5)

Last edited by Bigdaddy; 09-21-2020 at 09:31 PM.
Old 09-22-2020, 04:51 AM
Jeffrey

Not remotely the same, but something I regretfully sold to pay off something else has popped back up for Auction. Hoping to buy it back.
Old 09-22-2020, 12:14 PM

Alifaxwa2 - I won't ask what it was until you let us know if you were successful. Good luck.

Last edited by ocjack; 09-22-2020 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-22-2020, 12:18 PM

My full-name signature of ol' Petey on my Wheaties box.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rose (2).jpg (59.2 KB, 78 views)