NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 02-17-2020, 02:17 PM

Default If MLB still did 2 divisions per league

Working on a project and one thing I have to hammer out is what would the divisiona alignment be in MLB if they used 2 divisions per league instead of 3 like today?

This is what I've come up with:

AL East (7 teams)
- Baltimore
- Boston
- Cleveland
- Detroit
- New York
- Toronto
- Tampa Bay

AL West (8 teams)
- Chicago
- Houston
- Kansas City
- Los Angeles
- Minnesota
- Oakland
- Seattle
- Texas

NL East (8 teams)
- Chicago
- Cincinnati
- Miami
- New York
- Phildelphia
- Pittsburgh
- St. Louis
- Washington

NL West (7 teams)
- Atlanta
- Arizona
- Colorado
- Los Angeles
- Milwaukee
- San Diego
- San Francisco

The National League is the trickiest for me. Back in the two division days, Atlanta was in the NL West. I think there was a similar issue with the Falcons in the NFL.

Would it make more sense to put the Cardinals in the West and swap with the Cubs?

Last edited by Tripredacus; 02-19-2020 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 03:32 PM
Bob Andrews

Random thoughts...
Put Atlanta in the West, there is, as you noted, precedence for that.

St. Louis and Chicago belong together. Their rivalry goes back a long way.

As long as we're playing commish...let's swap Houston and Milwaukee back to the NL and AL respectively, as God intended.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:34 PM

It is for a baseball computer game that I maintain. I wish that it were possible to just have 3 divisions, but it doesn't seem so. I had finally gotten it to the point where I could put 15 teams in each league, so that I didn't have to keep 4 teams in their own division.

So the easiest would be to swap Chicago and Atlanta.

Too much time has passed, I see Houston and Milwaukee being in the leagues they are in now. It is as if I don't even remember them being in opposite leagues.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:33 PM
G@nn0n
G@nnon As.ip

Yeah, Houston in the A.L. is just wrong!! But let's face it, we're probably getting to the point where the modern fan won't even realize that they were ever in the N.L. Or even that they used to be called the Colt 45s!

As to the Brewers, Milwaukee is an N.L. town, and there were several incarnations of Brewers teams. But yes, the modern Brewers were first an A.L. team after having moved from Seattle as the Pilots. I can deal with them being in the N.L. more than I can Houston in the A.L. But I would have no problem with them going back to the A.L.

Last edited by jgannon; 02-19-2020 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-19-2020, 02:11 PM

Here's some perspective

American League

National League

International League (with wrong years)
Old 02-19-2020, 02:17 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

As a creature of habit, by all means Havey's Wall Bangers are in the AL. Bring back Gorman Thomas as the DH! His 45 hr's 170k's and .240 BA fit right into todays game......
Old 02-19-2020, 04:03 PM
Belltown Vintage

There's something I love about your idea - the playoff changes that would be needed.

Perhaps let the 2nd and 3rd place team from each division play a best of three for the right to meet the 1st place team in a best-of-seven. Then you end up with 12 teams making the playoffs and you still have some great battles at the division level to get one of the top three spots.

Also, I would put Cincinnati and Houston in the NL West and move Milwaukee back over to the AL. Then you would have things the way they were pre-69, plus new franchises. You know - back in the days when Houston could have cheated all they wanted and the other teams would have thought it was only fair.

Last edited by Runscott; 02-19-2020 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02-19-2020, 05:45 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

The way the proposed divisions look, each would be contested by most teams within their respective divisions. The NL East is wide open, save for Pittsburgh and Miami. This could be a lot of fun to keep a mock division with the teams and see just how close the division races are. As a fan I would love this.