NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-04-2007, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Default General Photograph question

Posted By: Dave

Looking at all the different avenues of collecting...curious from board members what makes a vintage photo just a vintage photo and what makes a cabinet photo a cabinet photo? A cabinet photo I'm assuming is worth more for various reasons? Is it better if the old photo has some type of writing on the back? either the player, team, year, etc? Any help always appreicated!

*Edited to say, yes this is one of those "dumb" questions that a lurker to two may have as well...LOL

Old 02-04-2007, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

No question is dumb if you don't know the answer.

A cabinet is an albumen photograph that is glued onto a roughly 5" x 8" cardboard mount. They were among the most popular forms of photography from the 1870-1890's.

The second part of your question-what is a vintage photo- is a little tougher because by definition it covers all original early photography. I guess I would define "vintage" as an early, first generation photo, such as a wire photograph. Often, the negatives were reused at a later date. I wouldn't consider that vintage.

Old 02-04-2007, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: martin dalziel

Dave,
Heres a link to David Cycleback's excellent site where he's made available PDF's of his work. Theres a whole book on Sports Photographs and their identification.

http://www.cycleback.com/

Careful you don't get too sucked in to the Jean Shrimpton stuff though - its addictive

Old 02-04-2007, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Heh....I didn't know who Jean Shrimpton was until I started reading this board.

Old 02-04-2007, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Thanks guys. Only thing left that can be considered "fishy" by a novice buyer....considering these items are in very nice condition and original....

what could I expect to pay for a "cabinet" of a Miller Huggins for example..

what could I expect to pay for a smaller photo 3"x5" of a 1887 team picture of say Cincinnatti?

I'm just looking for ballpark figures..

Old 02-04-2007, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

These are both items that are available for you to purchase? I think we'd have to see the items before anyone here could give you an idea if they are fishy or not. Is there a studio name on the Miller Huggins cabinet? And an 1887 photo of the Cincy team should be on a hard cardboard type backing...is it?

Old 02-04-2007, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Dan..shooting you an email

Dave

Old 02-04-2007, 09:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ramram

Dave,
3x5 would be an odd size for any 1887 original image. At that period of time they would typically be cabinet card size or larger (unless the mount/image was trimmed).
Rob M.

Old 02-05-2007, 01:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

My opinion is that if someone is new is to collect early 1900s news service photos. These will include the famous players like Ty Cobb, Christy Mathewson and Honus Wagner, and are easier to judge as vintage. Many of these photos will have a back stamp from the news service or photographer that identifies it as old. For example International News Photos, United Press (not United Press International which is modern), ACME Newspictures, Pacific & Atlantic, Bain News Service are old, defunct companies and their stamp would only appear on an old photo. If you see a Ty Cobb photo with a Pacific & Atlantic or Bain News Service stamp, you can confident it's vintage. Many of these news service photos are of top quality.

Most of these news service photos will have production notes on back and normal usage (rough edges, wrinkle or two, toning). The quality of the image and overall presentation value is what matters. Many of the most expensive 1900s baseball photos have some wear like edge wear or corner creases. In fact, if you find a 1920s ACME Newspictures Babe Ruth photo that has Gem Mint, razor sharp edges it was almost certainly trimmed recently.

What a collector can also consider collecting are baseball photographs by famous photographers. As many photographers like Conlon, Bain and Burke stamped their names on the back, their photos can be easy to identify. These guys shot photographs of guys like Ruth and Cobb, so the collector can have it both ways: famous photographer and famous subject.

Obligatory Jean Shrimpton photo: