NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-12-2007, 11:08 PM
Administrator

Default BEWARE - SCAMMER deebo79

Posted By: Rich H.

Beware of this seller: deebo79 (Ebay handle)

Dave Bothun
deebo@uwalumni.com

What a complete FRAUD!

I purchased a SGC graded Old Judge from him and he never sent the card. I filed a claim with Paypal and was only recovered $29.99 of $850.00 that I paid!!

Any help from the legal experts on the board on how to recover more of my money?

Rich Ha

Old 08-12-2007, 11:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: anthony

here's what i did, it took a little creativity but i recovered about 90% of my money.

i bought 2 cards and sent payment via bank check for about $1400. (i'll tell you now my credit union was zero help) after about 4-5 weeks of waiting and no communications through emails or phone, i decided to fill out a police report at my work. stating i had all the necessary paperwork, emails, etc. to file fraud/grand theft/etc. against this guy...gave the name of a detective at their local p.d. that i was in contact with...pretty much a scare tactic.

i miraculously got an email from the wife who claimed her husband had died and wanted to make it up to me by sending any of his collectibles (junk) in lieu of payment for the gerhig and dimaggio cards i purchased, which of course she could not find.

i told her that i sent $1400 cash and would expect at least that in collectibles along with a copy of the death certificate and it needed to be quick or i would proceed with the "fuzz". she did in fact send me a bunch of junk collectibles and about 6-7 10th year hofers from the 60's but no death certificate and no explaination other than an apology.

i inturn had to list all of the items on ebay in order to recoop my losses, it took about 10 months to sell everything but i recooped roughly $1200...that was the last time i bought from an ebayer i didnt know or already have prior transactions with.

luckily it worked for me, maybe you can try something like this.

Old 08-13-2007, 06:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave

how timely this post is. There was just a small article in our local weekly newspaper about an Ebay scammer in Lebanon, that's being prosecuted for many crimes because he never sent items to buyers. He is being charged with state and federal crimes I believe, and is in some pretty big trouble. I believe he scammed a few different buyers for about $3,500 on sports collectibles and video games

in the article one of the buyers stated that he had filed a report with his local police department after nort receiving his merchandise....they in turn contacted the police and prosecutor in the town where the seller lived and things got rolling from there. the article said that Ebay helped authorities also

Old 08-13-2007, 08:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: RC

Dave,

What state if you don't mind? There is a Lebanon close to me and I would like to know more. Also, maybe a copy of the article for board members.

RC

Old 08-13-2007, 08:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve f

Anthony, That was very clever! Congrats

Old 08-13-2007, 08:43 AM
Administrator

that would be in Lebanon Ohio, north of Cincinnati. I'll try to see if I can find the paper from last Thursday...I'm pretty sure it's in the dump by now though. This guy that was busted may have been the same person that sold a fake Cobb card sometime during the winter....I'm not sure though. I remember seeing an obvious fake T206 Cobb batting pose that was made to look like it was old and real selling, and the seller was from Lebanon Ohio. I live about 10 minutes outside of Lebanon in the country so it caught my attention.
I had a similar experience a fewyears ago with a guy in Pennsylvania, and it was resolved by the local police and prosecutor where the seller lived. I got my money back , and the merchandise !! don't be afraid to go to the police on these matters. More and more jurisdictions are receiveing Ebay fraud complaints I'm sure, so your local Police should have a plan of attack when it comes to this type of crime. Sometimes all it takes is a phone call from the scammers Police depratment to shape them up, other times they actually have to file charges....depends on how much of a loser the seller really is I think

Old 08-13-2007, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich H.

Thanks so much for all the advice. I'm going to move forward with contacting the local police in Milton, Wisconsin.

Rich

Old 08-13-2007, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Dave,

That's close to home. Wonder if this guy does shows such as the monthly at the Nutter Center in Dayton? Keep us posted if you find the article.

Thanks, RC

Old 08-13-2007, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycle

Ordinarily, if the person thinks you're really going through with contact the police and stuff they will refund the money. Of course, if you want to increase the likelyhood of the money being returned, you would want to say that you'll drop the whole issue when the money is returned.

Of note, I've been to Milton. A nice little Midwestern town. The high schoolers are known as the Milton Cheesemakers.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Hey RC how are those Nutter center shows these days. My brother and I haven't been to one out there in a couple of years. Is there much vintage material ? My brother and I bought most of our T3's off an old man that used to set up there in the 90's. $50 a card .....wow those were the days.

Old 08-13-2007, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Dave,

Nutter shows are ok, not a tremendous amount of vintage though. I think a person can find better deals here on the BST or Ebay for that matter, but I enjoy going to see if something happens to jump out at me. I bought my first T206 and T205 there a while back and probably overpaid, but not terribly, and the T205 was trimmed. That was my fault though and I have learned a good bit since then.

They have had decent showings of post-war cards. The next show is this Sat. Aug. 18 if you want to take another look.

RC

Old 08-13-2007, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: gregor197

"Of note, I've been to Milton. A nice little Midwestern town. The high schoolers are known as the Milton Cheesemakers."

<nitpick> The Cheesemakers represent Monroe High School (http://www.monroeschools.com/node/773). Apparently Milton is the Red Hawks (http://www.milton.k12.wi.us/schools/mhs/ourschool.cfm) </nitpick>

Carry on.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

There was an ebayer who sold and never sent items in Arkansas and is now at the Cummins State Prison farm doing hard time.
A word to the wise (and sorry to all my friends in Ohio who are all great people)- never, ever buy any vintage cards on ebay from anyone who lives in Ohio. I read an article recently which said a huge proportion of all shysters who sell vintage cards and memorabilia reside in the Buckeye state.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

direction in which we could take this thread!

Why do you suppose it is that Ohio appears to be so nefarious!?
-something in the water?
-contempt for the fact that so many people merely just drive through, rather than stop to say hi?
-genuine misunderstanding of the definition of fraud?

Old 08-14-2007, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: brian

wow, I've been getting the best eBay deals on raw cards that I can ever remember from two sellers in Ohio over the past year. they have all graded at or above my expectations from PSA. one of them is from an estate that is supposed to contain one of the largest vintage collections ever to surface in the marketplace. if Ohio gets a lot of bad publicity, then i suppose it means i will have a lot less competition when i bid on those sellers' cards

Old 08-14-2007, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I do notice a lot of the shysters list Ohio as their residence, but I have had many fine deals with Ohioans on ebay...most recently with Kevin Savage Cards.

Old 08-14-2007, 05:41 PM
Administrator

Well it should be no secret that the flea market triangle is near the borders of Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky. there was a ring busted up a while back that was offering those get rich quick seminars on Ebay. they were basically telling people that selling reprints as the real thing was ok as long as you weren't discovered. They even taught sellers how to network across the country with other scammers in organized rings. this was all based out of the Cincinnati area I'm pretty sure. Baseball cards, autographed items, artwork,sculpture, stamps, they were in to it all. They used to post their flyers all over the place where I live. every telephone pole had 2 or 3 of their flyers on it I remember.

rest assured buyers of vintage cards....there are a lot of honest sellers in Ohio too.. I live in between Dayton and Cincinnati, and have bought and sold to many on Ebay for over 10 years

Old 08-14-2007, 07:37 PM
Administrator

While I haven't yet sold on ebay, I have sold a few things on this board and yes I am an Ohioan. Hope this doesn't hinder potential ebay sales in the future!

I would guess that every state has it's share of thieves, didn't know we topped the market in that respect.

RC