NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-20-2021, 09:21 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Default Raising the prices on cards

So we all know cards are currently on a boom and prices are rising sharply rather quickly. We also semi-frequently see posts complaining "I offered to buy a card and the seller instantly raised the price." So 2 questions for the board to consider.

1) What's the longest time a seller should honor a price listed on the BST?

2) When do you think it is appropriate for a seller to raise a price on another site such as Ebay?
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 01-20-2021, 09:55 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Great question Rich.

2. eBay you can raise the price anytime you want, it's an open market. I've watched Dean raise his price on his 51 Mantle from 10k to 15k over the last 8 months in response to the market.

1. BST is a little different and I don't think there can be a hard and fast rule. If I pull up a dormant post from 9 months ago and say "I'll take it" I wouldn't expect the seller to honor that. I would send a pm and ask if the card is still available and enter into a negotiation based on current market value.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 01-20-2021, 10:08 PM
Thomas
Th0mas Ch.urch

If it is listed for sale at a certain price, it should be honored. Otherwise I think you should be able to edit the price at any time prior to someone saying I’ll take it.
Thomas
Successful transactions: sycks22, charlietheextervminator, Scocs, Thromdog, trdcrdkid, mybuddyinc, troutbum97, Natedog, Kingcobb, usernamealreadytaken, t206fanatic, asoriano, rsdill2, hatchetman325, cobbcobb13, dbfirstman, Blunder19, Scott L. ,Eggoman, ncinin, vintagewhitesox, aloondilana, btcarfagno, ZiggerZagger, blametony, shammus, Kris19, brewing, rootsearcher60, Pat R , sportscardpete , Leon , OriolesHOF , Gobucsmagic74, Pilot172000, Chesbro41, scmavl,t206kid,3-2-count,GoldenAge50s
Old 01-20-2021, 10:32 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by icurnmedic View Post
If it is listed for sale at a certain price, it should be honored. Otherwise I think you should be able to edit the price at any time prior to someone saying I’ll take it.
Thomas
Playing devils advocate: do you think if you pull up a dormant BST post from 2019 on a card that is listed $2500 under current market that the seller should honor "I'll take it"?

-
Old 01-20-2021, 10:59 PM
Thomas
Th0mas Ch.urch

I don’t know. Should the seller not change the price? Not sure there is a always right answer here. So this begs the question , what is the arbitrary time cut off? Things change overnight , seems like nowadays. 1 week,1 month,1 year?
I seen a current listing earlier that said something to the effect of good till nfc championship kickoff , or close to that. This delineates his timeframe for current pricing. Maybe we should start doing this more often..
Thomas
Successful transactions: sycks22, charlietheextervminator, Scocs, Thromdog, trdcrdkid, mybuddyinc, troutbum97, Natedog, Kingcobb, usernamealreadytaken, t206fanatic, asoriano, rsdill2, hatchetman325, cobbcobb13, dbfirstman, Blunder19, Scott L. ,Eggoman, ncinin, vintagewhitesox, aloondilana, btcarfagno, ZiggerZagger, blametony, shammus, Kris19, brewing, rootsearcher60, Pat R , sportscardpete , Leon , OriolesHOF , Gobucsmagic74, Pilot172000, Chesbro41, scmavl,t206kid,3-2-count,GoldenAge50s
Old 01-20-2021, 11:21 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

IMHO:

1) 2 weeks
2) anytime the seller wants. ebay is different from the board as a buyer can hit the BIN anytime he wants and the price is honored. The item could be at that price in years with the listings automatically be regenerated every month, and once the buyer hits the BIN, it's his. For the BST, it's different as the item could be long sold, but no one has a clue because it's not updated anymore.
Old 01-21-2021, 06:00 AM

DJ, anyone listing a card for sale at a certain price is inviting an acceptance, which is made, technically creates a legally enforceable contract. The offer is not indefinite, but I am not sure at what point it would legally expire- my gut is longer than you think. That is just the law, real world is different- nobody will sue you to enforce a BST sale (juice ain’t worth the squeeze). Perhaps the safe move to set an expiration date on the BST listing.

But the real reason for my post.... I absolutely searched all threads you started to figure out where the “bargain” was!
Old 01-21-2021, 08:50 AM

To me the seller can raise his price any time he wants. A deal is made when a buyer offers to buy at a certain price and the seller accepts and sends payment information. That said, it would be in poor taste to list a card and then not accept an offer within a few hours. Likewise a buyer shouldn't expect to buy a card that just closed in an auction much higher than what a card has been listed at. This is a mostly collector to collector site and we should try to treat each other fairly and not try to take advantage of the other person.
Old 01-21-2021, 09:12 AM
Eric Cheng

Agree, seller have right to change price when no deal has been made. If a player got injured, will you pay the same price to seller when no deal was made yet? After deal is made then it's a different story, seller/buyer should honor the contract. 52 topps mantle made some big jump within few days, probably a few key rookie will follow 51 bowman mantle might be next. Vintage value i think are still way behind if you look how crazy modern card prices jump, there is still a lot of room to move
Old 01-21-2021, 10:31 AM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

The worst is when you try and negotiate on ebay and then the seller literally raises the price and tells you sorry too much demand and this card is only going up..

Ya, okay.

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 01-21-2021, 10:37 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscardpete View Post
The worst is when you try and negotiate on ebay and then the seller literally raises the price and tells you sorry too much demand and this card is only going up..

Ya, okay.
I am almost in the middle of one of those now. Except I still want the card. We will see....

As for the BST. It is ALL about communication. I wouldn't expect any seller to honor a price if it was very old. And I think it's fine to raise a price, at any time. if no offers have been made. If a member gets too squirrely over there we can square them away if need be. And if not they can find another forum to screw people over on. BUT I need PM's to help. It annoys me when I hear of bad deals over there only on the main forum. Usually a PM to me will help the process and alleviate one of "those" threads.

Old 01-21-2021, 10:41 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I am almost in the middle of one of those now. Except I still want the card. We will see....

As for the BST. It is ALL about communication. I wouldn't expect any seller to honor a price if it was very old. And I think it's fine to raise a price, at any time. if no offers have been made. If a member gets too squirrely over there we can square them away if need be. And if not they can find another forum to screw people over on. BUT I need PM's to help. It annoys me when I hear of bad deals over there only on the main forum. Usually a PM to me will help the process and alleviate one of "those" threads.

We might be competing on that card. Email me if you want to commiserate.

-
Old 01-21-2021, 10:42 AM
Eric Cheng

Quote:

yes, happened to me. Thought of making an offer but at the end seller raised the prices, the demand is there. 52 topps mantle has been snatched up quick and prices went up fast on listing. I'm expecting 51 bowman to follow soon or mantle across. It's like the guy that bought the 5 mil 52 topps mantle said, these cards are undervalue if you compare the price hike to modern. There's still a lot of room to grow , i think this is just like the beginning. All of the ones i'm looking at has gone up and I don't see any sign of slowing(key rookies)

Last edited by dio; 01-21-2021 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:46 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
We might be competing on that card. Email me if you want to commiserate.
Trust me, we aren't.

Old 01-21-2021, 10:46 AM
Howard Chasser

Default AWESOME question

I'm with Ryan, in a perfect world seller would list "expiration date". That said, like others have offered on Ebay - if you can hit BIN you can buy at that price and it should be honored.
BST - drawing that line is tricky - I'd say at least a week for sure. I'd also say it starts to feel like time to ask/negotiate after a month. Between that week and month feels much more gray.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:53 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Trust me, we aren't.

Good, I'd have to bow out. Good luck on your success.

-

Last edited by Casey2296; 01-21-2021 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:57 AM
Luke Lyon

In my opinion once a BST thread falls off the first couple pages, it's dead. I've listed hundreds (thousands?) of BST sale threads and once it's off the first page or two, I forget about it. And 99.9% of the time no one else ever looks at it either.

That's the main thing to consider in my opinion. As a seller, when you list something on the BST, you expect that it's only getting eyes when it's on the first page. When you quit bumping it, you're letting it die. And because it's so rare for someone to dredge up an old thread, it's really not worth the time to find your thread on page 24 and update that the card sold on ebay 2 months after you listed it on the BST.

If a net54 member finds a thread on page 40 or whatever and expects the seller to honor that price, that member is being unreasonable in my opinion.
Old 01-21-2021, 11:17 AM
Peter Spaeth

As is always the case in these matters, one should be guided by common sense, reasonableness, and integrity.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-21-2021, 11:29 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
As is always the case in these matters, one should be guided by common sense, reasonableness, and integrity.
The only problem with common sense, Peter, is it is not so common.
Old 01-21-2021, 12:11 PM
Garth Guibord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
In my opinion once a BST thread falls off the first couple pages, it's dead. I've listed hundreds (thousands?) of BST sale threads and once it's off the first page or two, I forget about it. And 99.9% of the time no one else ever looks at it either.

That's the main thing to consider in my opinion. As a seller, when you list something on the BST, you expect that it's only getting eyes when it's on the first page. When you quit bumping it, you're letting it die. And because it's so rare for someone to dredge up an old thread, it's really not worth the time to find your thread on page 24 and update that the card sold on ebay 2 months after you listed it on the BST.

If a net54 member finds a thread on page 40 or whatever and expects the seller to honor that price, that member is being unreasonable in my opinion.
Agree with this. Although looking at B/S/T now, most categories have a first page that goes back up two 10-15 days, but a less frequently utilized category may stretch back longer. If it's anything more than 10-15 days but still on the first page, I think it makes sense to inquire if the card is still available in the first place.
I'll also add I would much rather have a system like this, where cards have prices listed with a small risk that the price would be changed due to circumstances, than one where cards listed in the B/S/T all or mostly include "make an offer" instead of pricing.
Old 01-21-2021, 12:25 PM
Bill K@sel

My $.02 pertaining to the BST is that this Forum and it's members are a community. We should look out for each other, not take advantage. Yes, there are squabbles and I'm sure some people don't care for others, but to me it would be a big douchebag move to dredge up an old post from more than 6 months past and try and get something at a price that is not truly reflective of current market conditions, and be unwilling to negotiate.

I just wouldn't do it and if someone did it to me, I'd probably honor it within reason; but I'd never do business with them again, and likely would do a public outing in a way that others know to go back and review and update all old posts from the past so that you too don't get burned.

You have one reputation and are you really willing to risk it over saving some money?

Great topic and now I'm searching all my old posts where the card I had up didn't sell

Bill
Old 01-21-2021, 02:15 PM

On some transactions over the last year, I WISH I could go back to the buyer and adjust the price higher.

I'm sure 2020 saw lots of seller's remorse, for all types of assets. Homes, stocks, vintage, and many other types of collectibles have all been trending higher.

My biggest regret is selling some lower graded cards before having replacements in hand. I sold a '56 Mantle PSA 4 last year for what I thought was a decent price and now I'm looking for its replacement as prices keep moving.
Old 01-21-2021, 03:43 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuinness View Post
...I would much rather have a system like this, where cards have prices listed with a small risk that the price would be changed due to circumstances, than one where cards listed in the B/S/T all or mostly include "make an offer" instead of pricing.
Agreed.

Sellers, please don't ask me to price your cards for you. That's your job.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 01-21-2021, 04:25 PM
Jim

Sorry- double post

Last edited by cornhusker; 01-21-2021 at 04:33 PM.
Old 01-21-2021, 04:29 PM
Jim

Kind of makes my stomach turn a bit thinking about a handful of NM '67 & '61 Mantles and Payton RC's that I sold off just before the feeding frenzy started. I had finally talked myself into selling them to free up some cash for a 206 opportunity. Left a couple grand on the table there and then the 206 deal did not pan out anyway. It included hundreds of great cards glued in a book from a Baltimore estate. Some loose cards also. Timing just didn't work out and it "was not in the cards" so to speak. If only I had consulted my crystal ball or heeded my buddies advice that "there's never a good reason to sell a card". To the question in the op -there's never a good reason to screw over a fellow collector either.
Old 01-21-2021, 04:33 PM
J@son Per1

This happened to me a few weeks ago for the first time. I was trolling eBay looking for '41 playball cards and a decent raw VG-Ex range common came on for like 12 bucks and I stupidly offered $10 and it was declined and the next thing I know the card was listed at $24.99. It felt like a slap in the face. But I got over it. And I was kind of a cheap bastard anyway for not paying the lousy 12 bucks.
Old 01-21-2021, 05:32 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkm_bky View Post
My $.02 pertaining to the BST is that this Forum and it's members are a community. We should look out for each other, not take advantage.
Completely agree. The BST here relies on a degree of community and integrity that is not the norm in arms-length negotiations with strangers and I would not do anything that I would not want done to me. eBay is the wild west: a seller who doesn't update prices or doesn't know what he is selling deserves to lose.

What baffles me are the sellers whose items are not selling and who raise the prices. I've been watching a card that was priced at $1800 and just couldn't bring myself to buy it. After a month or so I check on it and the seller has raised the price $500! WTF?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-21-2021, 06:08 PM
pete ullman

I agree with much of what has been said. But...ultimately it is up to the seller to keep on top of adjusting his/hers sale price as the market changes. And these days market values can change from day to day.
Old 01-21-2021, 06:11 PM
Garth Guibord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
What baffles me are the sellers whose items are not selling and who raise the prices. I've been watching a card that was priced at $1800 and just couldn't bring myself to buy it. After a month or so I check on it and the seller has raised the price $500! WTF?
Also baffling are the people who try to sell something with a posted price adjusted for the bull market run of cards... that they must expect to happen in 2044.
Old 01-21-2021, 06:28 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Also baffling are the people who try to sell something with a posted price adjusted for the bull market run of cards... that they must expect to happen in 2044.
No question there are "fisherpeople" out there. All it seems to take is an outlier sale price to cause many to jack up their prices.

Last edited by ullmandds; 01-21-2021 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:44 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

I agree with the thought that once something is off the front page (or second page of the more active BST sections) the buyer should inquire if the card is still available. If it is, there should be a negotiation if market price is noticeably higher than it was when first offered. This assumes everyone over there has integrity. And I've learned to never assume anything.

I feel the community looking out for itself is fair and reasonable.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 01-24-2021, 07:30 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
I agree with the thought that once something is off the front page (or second page of the more active BST sections) the buyer should inquire if the card is still available. If it is, there should be a negotiation if market price is noticeably higher than it was when first offered. This assumes everyone over there has integrity. And I've learned to never assume anything.

I feel the community looking out for itself is fair and reasonable.
+1 .,...and it's amazing that for all that goes on over there, there is very little involvement from mods, in the way of disputes.

Old 01-24-2021, 11:24 PM
Nick Pascal

Quote:
Amen amen amen! There’s a modern card I want to buy, not very popular. I’d gladly be willing to pay $50 which is a pretty reasonable value as of today. It’s listed at $1500.
Old 01-25-2021, 06:45 AM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnp22 View Post
Amen amen amen! There’s a modern card I want to buy, not very popular. I’d gladly be willing to pay $50 which is a pretty reasonable value as of today. It’s listed at $1500.
I'm curious because of the wide price difference what card you are referring to
Old 01-25-2021, 07:09 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Prices

2 or 3 years ago I paid $800 for a raw T213-2 Red Cobb. I sent it in to have it graded and it came back an SGC10 as expected. PWCC has an SGC10 listed on eBay, from their vault, at $7995.

Crazy!

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 01-25-2021, 10:29 AM
Robert J. Miller

Just to add my 2 non cents.......When an item is listed on ebay, the seller should be able to raise the price anytime they want unless the item has a bid. Auctions usually run 7 days so every 7 days the seller can do what they want to the pricing. If they have a BIN and someone selects it, then that price should be honored.

As far as the BST here, I would think a 2 or 3 week period. Anything beyond that the interested party should ask if the card is still available and start a price negotiation.
Old 01-26-2021, 11:33 AM
Nick Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
I'm curious because of the wide price difference what card you are referring to
It’s a basketball rookie card from 2009 numbered to /999. PSA 10 with a 12 pop. Of course, the entire pop report is only 15 cards, because nobody cared/cares enough about them to get them graded.

It seems like a lot of new sellers (more so for modern) seem to think that low pop report should equal big money, when that’s just not the case a lot of times. Frustrating.
Old 01-26-2021, 02:04 PM
Rich Klein

Quote:
It’s a basketball rookie card from 2009 numbered to /999. PSA 10 with a 12 pop. Of course, the entire pop report is only 15 cards, because nobody cared/cares enough about them to get them graded.

It seems like a lot of new sellers (more so for modern) seem to think that low pop report should equal big money, when that’s just not the case a lot of times. Frustrating.
Gee I wonder if the reason you are not being specific is because the player who think is overpriced is Stephen Curry. He's a lot more than a common, in fact a generational player, so you need to be more specific before I accept the vague comments on your player. I have NO dog in this fight but I want to make sure your comments are legit and not just false hype in trying to lower something which is not getting lower anytime soon

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...9+Classics+PSA

Regards
Rich
Old 01-26-2021, 02:41 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Since it has been almost a week since I started this thread I figured I would provide a quick update and reason for my question. The BST question came about as I've had several people in the past ask here and on other sites ask if a card was still available. No one was asking to purchase at the old listed price. They were just seeing if I still had the card. Still, it made me curious how others would feel in that situation if they still had the card.

On Ebay I had a buyer who was making offers on a card below my asking price. Earlier this year I had raised the price and their offers have continued to slowly increased but still a bit below my asking price. With each offer I have consistently stated the price listed is the price I want for it even when the offers got above my original asking price. I never had the option to make a BO on the card. After making this post I raised the price again by about 20%. Within a few hours, they responded that they would buy the card at my previous price. I declined and advised my new price was due to recent comps. Figured there were enough watchers, it was the cheapest on Ebay at the grade, and was still less than other similar graded examples have sold for. I've already had the card for awhile so worse case scenario is I hold it a little longer. Less than 48 hours later, a different buyer bought the card at the new asking price. So I guess sometimes raising the price might invoke someone to step up and buy the card before it goes up any more.
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 01-26-2021, 06:52 PM
Nick Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
Gee I wonder if the reason you are not being specific is because the player who think is overpriced is Stephen Curry. He's a lot more than a common, in fact a generational player, so you need to be more specific before I accept the vague comments on your player. I have NO dog in this fight but I want to make sure your comments are legit and not just false hype in trying to lower something which is not getting lower anytime soon

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...9+Classics+PSA

Regards
Rich
Relax man. I have no idea what you’re getting at or why you’re so curious, but it’s a Tyreke Evans Topps Chrome card. I just didn’t say who it was because it’s not really a big deal and I’d assume a large number of our members hardly know who he is. Deep breath dude
Old 01-26-2021, 07:15 PM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Relax man. I have no idea what you’re getting at or why you’re so curious, but it’s a Tyreke Evans Topps Chrome card. I just didn’t say who it was because it’s not really a big deal and I’d assume a large number of our members hardly know who he is. Deep breath dude
With my years in the business, 95 percent of time when someone says they are just missing a common or two for a set, it's usually either a superstar or a very tough short print. So that's the experience I use. I'm glad that in your case it's a pure common

And I'm sorry you can't get that person at the reasonable price level

Rich

Last edited by Rich Klein; 01-26-2021 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-26-2021, 09:55 PM
Fred

I love telling this story.

I had a card which I placed a BIN for $1200 on ebay. No takers.

I raised the BIN to $1400 and someone asked if I'd take $1200 for it. I declined. The card didn't sell.

I raised the BIN to $1600 and I believe the same person as before asked if I'd take $1400 for it. I declined. The card didn't sell.

I raised the BIN to $1800 and I believe the same person as before asked if I'd take $1600 for it. I declined. That person ponied up the $1800.

They could have had it for $1200 but they never pulled the trigger on the BIN.

Pretty soon my memory is going to start forgetting the details and I'll start embellishing the story and add an extra "0" to the price...

It is a true story though.

My opinion is that if there's a price listed on the BST, then it should be honored for at least a couple weeks or until it drops off the first page of the BST. In any case, it's up to the seller to determine how long they want to honor the price. If the seller is wishy washy in their dealings, then it'll come to the point where people just won't deal with them.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:31 AM
Jimmy

I do not go up on my prices on eBay, I try and set a good price to start and then move down or take offers as needed - but yes prices are much higher this year been hard to buy and have decent prices for buyers!

Jimmy