NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 07-05-2022, 03:16 PM

Default July Pick-Ups

Thought I'd get the month of to start.
Future HOF'er?
Me thinks yes.
RayB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13TC200Posey10Xfractor.jpg (158.6 KB, 227 views)
Old 07-11-2022, 06:09 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

very nice looking card.

not sure if he is a HOFer. He was on pace for it and was a good offensive catcher. career avg .302 but with only 1500 hits and 158 HR's and less than 750 rbi and less than 700 runs I think he falls short. But those 3 World Series Rings do not hurt.

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 07-11-2022, 07:11 PM

If Posey isn't a HOF catcher, it'll be a long time until we see another one. I think Mauer, Posey, and Molina all make it...but it's really shocking to think about when there might be another HOF catcher. Nobody else really out of the "nice start but a real long way to go" category.
Old 07-17-2022, 06:14 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Bought a pair of High Number Hobby boxes at $40 each, which is about my price point for Heritage. Boxes are usually a loser, but opening packs is fun and at that price the fun is worth the dollars. I'm paying for the base and the fun of opening. One box had the Bichette /99 as the hit, and the other had Buehler in what I think is the usual spot. Another pack had the Kershaw, even though a box shouldn't have 2 hits in it for 2020. Relics aren't worth much, but Kershaw is cool as the hit as he's the start of a generation. I don't know if I'll keep the Bichette, but I got a full base set. The Ernie Banks 1 per box inserts are really cool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1602.jpg (204.3 KB, 147 views)
Old 07-22-2022, 05:33 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Bought a pair of High Number Hobby boxes at $40 each, which is about my price point for Heritage. Boxes are usually a loser, but opening packs is fun and at that price the fun is worth the dollars. I'm paying for the base and the fun of opening. One box had the Bichette /99 as the hit, and the other had Buehler in what I think is the usual spot. Another pack had the Kershaw, even though a box shouldn't have 2 hits in it for 2020. Relics aren't worth much, but Kershaw is cool as the hit as he's the start of a generation. I don't know if I'll keep the Bichette, but I got a full base set. The Ernie Banks 1 per box inserts are really cool.
$40 per hobby box is pretty decent and actually much more realistic. I think this stuff is actually cool. Very nice cards. I am very much torn over modern products like this. I very occasionally buy new product with the idea of piecing together a set of whatever given product because I do watch modern MLB and enjoy it. However, after a while, it hits me that I could buy a solid vintage card for the cost of the blasters and hangers that I open in such a quest. If the cost were lower on non-hit products like Heritage, I might be a player. Nice stuff!!
Old 07-24-2022, 09:13 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
$40 per hobby box is pretty decent and actually much more realistic. I think this stuff is actually cool. Very nice cards. I am very much torn over modern products like this. I very occasionally buy new product with the idea of piecing together a set of whatever given product because I do watch modern MLB and enjoy it. However, after a while, it hits me that I could buy a solid vintage card for the cost of the blasters and hangers that I open in such a quest. If the cost were lower on non-hit products like Heritage, I might be a player. Nice stuff!!
I feel torn in the same way you are! I buy maybe 5-10 boxes of stuff a year. I enjoy cracking junk wax, but after seeing every possible card 3,000 times each (or so it feels), it's fun to satisfy the ripping the urge. My love is for vintage, but opening is fun too and I like to occasionally rip a box.

It's just never worth it, dollar wise. I just belatedly got in my 2021 Heritage hobby (3 boxes of base, 2 boxes of high number, 2 boxes of minors) to build my sets, from a distributor friend that passed them along below selling price. Even at my ~$35ish average price per box, I beat the pack odds and still lost financially. It's worth the $40 for the fun of opening up a box and I expect to lose, but I don't see how the people who pay 2-3x this price point and mostly pull the same stuff or less keep gambling. The base sets are fun still, but with so many invest focused rippers, base sets are almost free on eBay to just buy without worrying about collation issues. I pulled a black chrome refractor /72 of Buehler (which is 1:534 hobby packs, the print run is truly absurd since 2020), 3 relics (Alonso, Stanton and... Aaron Hicks) and 2 auto's (of rookies who are nobodies), 3 action's (should have got 1 by the odds). It's fun, I'm happy with the fun I get from it, but it's a terrible buy for any other reason.

2021 Heritage High Number are like $50 a hobby box on the open market and about the best buy there is right now for fun vs. cost, but there's about $15 worth in the box. The massive print runs have made it really hard to hit anything numbered in your box that's worth even $2. The price on retail is absurd; blasters are like $25 now and almost nothing but base. A hobby box is about the same per pack these days from Topps.
Old 07-24-2022, 09:26 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
I feel torn in the same way you are! I buy maybe 5-10 boxes of stuff a year. I enjoy cracking junk wax, but after seeing every possible card 3,000 times each (or so it feels), it's fun to satisfy the ripping the urge. My love is for vintage, but opening is fun too and I like to occasionally rip a box.

It's just never worth it, dollar wise. I just belatedly got in my 2021 Heritage hobby (3 boxes of base, 2 boxes of high number, 2 boxes of minors) to build my sets, from a distributor friend that passed them along below selling price. Even at my ~$35ish average price per box, I beat the pack odds and still lost financially. It's worth the $40 for the fun of opening up a box and I expect to lose, but I don't see how the people who pay 2-3x this price point and mostly pull the same stuff or less keep gambling. The base sets are fun still, but with so many invest focused rippers, base sets are almost free on eBay to just buy without worrying about collation issues. I pulled a black chrome refractor /72 of Buehler (which is 1:534 hobby packs, the print run is truly absurd since 2020), 3 relics (Alonso, Stanton and... Aaron Hicks) and 2 auto's (of rookies who are nobodies), 3 action's (should have got 1 by the odds). It's fun, I'm happy with the fun I get from it, but it's a terrible buy for any other reason.

2021 Heritage High Number are like $50 a hobby box on the open market and about the best buy there is right now for fun vs. cost, but there's about $15 worth in the box. The massive print runs have made it really hard to hit anything numbered in your box that's worth even $2. The price on retail is absurd; blasters are like $25 now and almost nothing but base. A hobby box is about the same per pack these days from Topps.
Sounds like you did well considering it's Heritage. You hit the nail on the head. It is mainly just base in those blasters. That makes it hard to build a set and not spend a zillion bucks. As you said, the dollar value is sorely lacking, and I know it isn't a hit product. I love the idea of piecing together a set, but it is too costly. Vintage is my game, and that's where I stay.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 07-25-2022, 05:31 AM

The Captain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 96TC80Jeter7Refractor.jpg (212.7 KB, 111 views)
Old 07-26-2022, 02:16 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBShotz View Post
The Captain.
Nice looking card of the Captain. Hard to tell in the picture why is it a 7 and not higher?

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 07-28-2022, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
Nice looking card of the Captain. Hard to tell in the picture why is it a 7 and not higher?
They hit it hard on centering. The back is a little further off. It could be an 8 or 8.5 on a different day I suppose.
Old 07-28-2022, 10:21 AM

Here's a recently acquired Fielder with nice centering.
Card looks really sweet in hand.
RayB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 96TC157Fielder9Refractor.jpg (228.0 KB, 76 views)
Old 07-29-2022, 09:50 PM
Jeremy

One of my favorite cards and players of the 80's and seemingly tough to track down a 10 these days that is actually centered.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img172wb.jpg (186.8 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg boggs.jpg (24.3 KB, 66 views)
Old 07-29-2022, 09:51 PM
Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBShotz View Post
Here's a recently acquired Fielder with nice centering.
Card looks really sweet in hand.
RayB
Beautiful Fielder! One of my favorite players as a kid. Those early refractors are really something.