NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-06-2021, 10:18 AM

Default Grading MC / OC Cards

Hi all. Apologies for another SGC v PSA question...

I have 4 or 5 MC or very OC cards, which are great looking other than that. I'm in the rare group that doesn't mind that issue as much as bad corners etc.

Like most others here I much prefer SGC holders for PC cards, but wonder if they are now much more unforgiving thank PSA on MC or OC cards given their updated grading scale.

Perhaps PSA is now a better option to avoid a punative grade & protect longer term value? Or does SGC have a bit of wiggle room on their criteria?

What do you think?
Old 02-15-2021, 02:06 PM

Bumping this in case any one has a view. Thanks!
Old 02-15-2021, 07:41 PM
Phil

I'll give you an example of my 53 Bowman Berra and Musial; I believe they would have been qualified if graded by PSA. However, I think they received an overall lower grade due to the centering.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 53bberra.jpg (76.7 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg 53bmusial.jpg (69.4 KB, 109 views)

Last edited by Tere1071; 02-15-2021 at 09:59 PM.
Old 02-16-2021, 03:08 AM

Thanks Phil. That's useful guidance.
Old 02-16-2021, 08:24 AM
J0hn Collin$

My current thinking on the matter after watching a lot of YouTube videos is that SGC is slightly more lenient on MC than PSA.

Back in the day, "MC" was generally understood as cards that were so OC they were missing entire borders, showing part of the adjacent card on the other border, etc. etc. But here lately, PSA has also been known to reject vintage cards as miscut due to things like egregious tilt, diamond cutting, or just wonkiness where the card may be like 1/16 factory large in one direction and things like that.

SGC may be tougher in this regard than they were 10 years ago, (they sure as hell have gotten tougher on centering...) but I have seen them even recently be willing to slab cards that have slight cut irregularities that I feel like PSA probably would not.

My $0.02. Thanks.

Last edited by jchcollins; 02-17-2021 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-16-2021, 08:31 AM

Thanks John - appreciate it. 2-3 of the cards I'm thinking of are like Phil's Yogi Berra (or even a bit more OC), so his photo and your comment suggest that sticking with SGC may be best as I'll get a better looking holder without the grading being punative. Fingers crossed!
Old 02-16-2021, 08:44 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhdrew View Post
Thanks John - appreciate it. 2-3 of the cards I'm thinking of are like Phil's Yogi Berra (or even a bit more OC), so his photo and your comment suggest that sticking with SGC may be best as I'll get a better looking holder without the grading being punative. Fingers crossed!
Yep, no problem. SGC in the past was always a bit of a safe haven for cards that had mild cut or centering issues to still get a fair shake with the grade. That's not so much the case anymore, but I do think they are still less harsh than PSA. They do have better looking slabs too, all day long. It's always been perplexing to me that most graded collectors in the hobby are more seduced by the PSA registry than better looking holders!

Last edited by jchcollins; 02-16-2021 at 08:44 AM.
Old 02-16-2021, 09:49 AM
David M.

If you were to submit those to PSA and ask for "no qualifiers", I'm sure they would come back with regular grades. Neither of those look MC, just off-center which they aren't required to note. If a card is a 7, but would be 7 OC, they just make it a straight PSA 5. Many people prefer a straight grade and will request it to avoid qualifiers.
Old 02-16-2021, 10:10 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
If you were to submit those to PSA and ask for "no qualifiers", I'm sure they would come back with regular grades. Neither of those look MC, just off-center which they aren't required to note. If a card is a 7, but would be 7 OC, they just make it a straight PSA 5. Many people prefer a straight grade and will request it to avoid qualifiers.
If a card is truly MC though, you can't opt out of that qualifier. They will either put it on the flip, or send your card back to you raw.
Old 02-16-2021, 10:14 AM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
If a card is truly MC though, you can't opt out of that qualifier. They will either put it on the flip, or send your card back to you raw.
That's true. I've had it happen on a couple of cards I submitted.
Old 02-16-2021, 10:29 AM
J0hn Collin$

To clarify, cards posted here earlier in this thread - I would agree are not miscut. Yes, depending on the grade, they might get an OC qualifier w/ PSA. For lower grades, the OC qualifier actually becomes less of an issue because the standard the centering is required to be held to is on a sliding scale.

Last edited by jchcollins; 02-16-2021 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-16-2021, 01:30 PM
Phil

I posted my two cards as examples of off-center, not miscut. I was pointing out that under PSA I would have received a qualifier for both cards as o/c.

Phil aka Tere1071
Old 02-17-2021, 08:28 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tere1071 View Post
I posted my two cards as examples of off-center, not miscut. I was pointing out that under PSA I would have received a qualifier for both cards as o/c.

Phil aka Tere1071
Right, sorry I think I originally confused you with the OP. Beautiful cards, even if they would be qualified!