NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-16-2022, 08:54 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by profholt82 View Post
I'm just throwing this out there as an idea, Leon. But maybe there could be a time limit before a new member can access the BST forums, since many of the scammers seem to go straight there after joining up. That and perhaps a minimum post count or something along those lines. That way at least some of them would be deterred, a weeding out process.
I have looked into this and don't see a way to do it. Everyone needs to be careful and I never mind seeing this thread bumped. It has saved more than a few members.
Old 05-16-2022, 09:01 PM
Josh

Jack Corrigan is another name who’s emailed me from BST I found suspicious.
Old 06-03-2022, 07:32 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I figure it's a good time to bump this thread again. I have had 3 scammer situations this morning (with other members). The last one asked our member for a Whatsapp number. If anyone does that, I would tell them to F off. No good comes from that while doing a card deal. Everyone should be careful. Even if someone gives a good User ID they can be faking it and be someone else. Someone posed as Scott B (sb1) one time. I laughed when he said his name was something other than Scott......

Old 06-06-2022, 09:47 AM
Mike

Not sure if this is the "correct" way to do this, but please add this idiot any kind of banned list we got going......

niabirk74

Contacted me regarding a post I had under 50-59 WTB regarding 1959 Homerun Derby cards. Definitely a scammer. I worked in corporate IT for over 20 years, lol.

Just a friendly FYI otherwise........thanks!
Old 06-06-2022, 09:10 PM
Eric Perry

If I really want to draw out the scammers for an entertaining back-and-forth, maybe I’ll post a WTB ‘54 Topps Mantle or something similar.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 06-08-2022, 12:01 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey View Post
Not sure if this is the "correct" way to do this, but please add this idiot any kind of banned list we got going......

niabirk74

Contacted me regarding a post I had under 50-59 WTB regarding 1959 Homerun Derby cards. Definitely a scammer. I worked in corporate IT for over 20 years, lol.

Just a friendly FYI otherwise........thanks!
Woops. I was slacking on this scammer.
I appreciate all of the heads up I get from members... Please be careful! and PM with any concerns. Thanks!
Old 06-25-2022, 07:18 PM
Chad

davidbassett003 is on the phone. He wants to sell me a Verne Clemons card for $15.00. Should I pull the trigger? He wants to use paypal. Pretty good deal for a V61 SGC 60.

Last edited by Vintage Vern; 06-25-2022 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-25-2022, 07:26 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Vern View Post
davidbassett003 is on the phone. He wants to sell me a Verne Clemons card for $15.00. Should I pull the trigger? He wants to use paypal. Pretty good deal for a V61 SGC 60.
He got a hold of me today as well. Sending him $42k in cash in the mail as my preferred method of payment.
Old 06-25-2022, 07:29 PM
Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter08 View Post
He got a hold of me today as well. Sending him $42k in cash in the mail as my preferred method of payment.
I had a simple payment option COD, and I just asked him to coin the card picture.
Old 06-26-2022, 09:22 AM
Colton
Colt0n Eng.lish

I second this.

He emailed me yesterday, I found it sketchy so I reached out to Leon and found out that he has been banned. I will stay away from his guy. He is actively trolling our BST.

Heads up all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstottlemire1 View Post
Jack Corrigan is another name who’s emailed me from BST I found suspicious.
Old 06-26-2022, 09:30 AM

Default Guy named Charles Litt tried to scam me yesterday

Offered me a W554 Ruth graded A. I accepted the offer and he wanted me to use CASH mailing to pay him thru an app...at that point I felt uncomfortable and told him I will pass...for whatever it worth thats what happened to me yesterday.
Old 06-26-2022, 09:35 AM

Default an idea??

Maybe under your name or forum handle we have Member and the yr we started our membership ie...

JMANOS
Member 1999
Old 06-26-2022, 10:27 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMANOS View Post
Maybe under your name or forum handle we have Member and the yr we started our membership ie...

JMANOS
Member 1999
Look to your right. It's right there for everyone to see for all members. Has been there from day 1.

That is the immediate way(98% of the time) to know it's a scammer.

And I am getting an average of 2-3 scammer ban requests a day..BE CAREFUL ON THE BST.
Old 06-26-2022, 10:32 AM
Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMANOS View Post

JMANOS
Member 1999
All of them that I've encountered so far have had that days join date, and zero posts. Not one has hit my post on bst with a post of what they had to offer up for sale just sent pm asking if interested, and to give them my offer. I offered $15.00 on a card worth much more and they took the offer, and wanted to use paypal. Not real hard of a nut to crack. I'm sure paypal would have been f&f at best.

Last edited by Vintage Vern; 06-26-2022 at 10:35 AM.
Old 06-26-2022, 11:16 AM

Default sorry

let me get my head out of my ass...
Old 06-26-2022, 12:24 PM
Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Look to your right. It's right there for everyone to see for all members. Has been there from day 1.

That is the immediate way(98% of the time) to know it's a scammer.

And I am getting an average of 2-3 scammer ban requests a day..BE CAREFUL ON THE BST.
Leon, are they IP bans or are these scammers using VPN? I ask because the same exact pm was sent under different user names, but had the exact same card for sale, and had the exact same message attached.
Old 06-26-2022, 12:30 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
All of them that I've encountered so far have had that days join date, and zero posts. Not one has hit my post on bst with a post of what they had to offer up for sale just sent pm asking if interested, and to give them my offer. I offered $15.00 on a card worth much more and they took the offer, and wanted to use paypal. Not real hard of a nut to crack. I'm sure paypal would have been f&f at best.
Times must even tough for scammers when they are looking to beat someone out of $15.
Old 06-26-2022, 12:39 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Leon, are they IP bans or are these scammers using VPN? I ask because the same exact pm was sent under different user names, but had the exact same card for sale, and had the exact same message attached.
Most times I just ban the user name. A few more steps and I can do a wildcard ban on their IP address, which I think I will start doing on every one, not just sporadically.
Old 06-26-2022, 07:11 PM

Default Beware of charles litt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanos View Post
offered me a w554 ruth graded a. I accepted the offer and he wanted me to use cash mailing to pay him thru an app...at that point i felt uncomfortable and told him i will pass...for whatever it worth thats what happened to me yesterday.
beware
Old 07-05-2022, 11:58 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Longtime members, who post often, are still getting scammed. There are multiple instances of trolls every day.
And it's by trolls that have no, or almost no posts, and have supposedly recently registered.

I am not sure how I can put this more plainly. VET YOUR TRADING PARTNER OR BE SCAMMED
Old 07-05-2022, 12:03 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Quote:
Most times I just ban the user name. A few more steps and I can do a wildcard ban on their IP address, which I think I will start doing on every one, not just sporadically.
Careful with IP Bans because most people have an IP that is assigned dynamically from their provider. You could end up banning a whole group of people. It happens
Old 07-05-2022, 03:11 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Longtime members, who post often, are still getting scammed. There are multiple instances of trolls every day.
And it's by trolls that have no, or almost no posts, and have supposedly recently registered.

I am not sure how I can put this more plainly. VET YOUR TRADING PARTNER OR BE SCAMMED
Are the PMs that come through the Net54 messaging system unaffected by this?

In other words, if I get a PM from you, it's really from you, correct?

From what I've read, the scammers have been doing this via email.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 07-05-2022, 03:20 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
Are the PMs that come through the Net54 messaging system unaffected by this?

In other words, if I get a PM from you, it's really from you, correct?

From what I've read, the scammers have been doing this via email.
If you get a PM it will have a user ID, Always. Check that I'd..

So yes, the PM you get from me will have my id...and so forth. I don't know of any hijacked ids....but I know the scammers Have given a good I'd. But then the name or board I'd doesn't check out. Always ask for a net54 user I'd
, then check it. It's foolproof if cross referenced with me.
LL
Old 07-05-2022, 06:38 PM
pete ullman

I got ripped off on the BST over the weekend. My post looking for a W517 Ruth garnished a Personal email…I mean I did post my email address right there on the thread…from someone offering me a the psa 6 oc. I initially declined at which time he offered me a better conditioned example. Then came back with a slightly lower offer on the first and he excepted. Asked me how I intend to pay I told him PayPal goods and services. He sent me his ““family” paypal email… which ended up being a woman. I paid shortly there after received a receipt with a tracking number didn’t think much of it and moved on with my life. Gary emailed me telling me that the card that I posted on July pick ups, the same one I thought I bought l…that he won this card from Goldin Auctions a few years ago and it was in his collection. I then contacted Leon who was pretty convinced it was a scammer. I initiated a PayPal claim and hopefully I will be reimbursed.

The guys name was david bassett and the paypal address given was eaglegator47@gmail.com which led me to pamela maugle… Who quickly offered to reimburse me yet then claimed the money was being held and I should get it in the next day or two… acting a little bit like the kid who got his hand caught in the cookie jar.

In retrospect I should have immediately checked the tracking number it was bogus. I have made so many great deals on this board as well as other venues over the years but these last year or two things have changed there are so many more crooks in the game.

Last edited by ullmandds; 07-05-2022 at 06:39 PM.
Old 07-05-2022, 09:59 PM

What I'm gathering from all this is to initially interact with a potential buyer/seller on here to see their feedback and how long they have been a member. If everything checks out paypal goods and services is safest. I don't like giving my email in the post because I have no clue who is emailing me.
Old 07-06-2022, 03:50 PM
Adam Wan.aselja

I received a PM a few days ago in response to a WTB post that I made.

Got it up for sale
Contact me at scottdavilla8@gmail.com

Scottdavilla8 is also the user name here. Before emailing I saw that they signed up 6/3 of this year. I decided to PM back asking if the card was graded and what version it was (Looking for E94 cards). They never responded. Beware of this user.
Old 07-06-2022, 04:06 PM

Just an idea- maybe we can create a sticky thread at the top of the main board where board members can inquire about people they come across on BST (looking for referrals/successful deals) and where people can list the names and handles of scammers…
Old 07-06-2022, 05:09 PM
Al Stein

Are there really people buying on BST without checking references?

I guess that's a rhetorical question because obviously there are.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2022, 05:30 PM

Another member mentioned Jack Corrigan as a suspicious actor further up on this thread. Well, Jack Corrigan responded to my post (WTB: 1985 Topps Tiffany set) a few days ago via email (not PM) simply with "How much are you willing to spend?" Interesting way to engage a potential buyer, I thought. I responded and we arrived at a price, which, not coincidentally, was the I said I'd be willing to pay. He probably would've agreed to any price I said. We went back and forth for a couple of days and the exchange got sketchier and sketchier. When I asked him for his Net54 ID he couldn't provide it b/c he "wasn't able to log in at that time." He sent me Venmo information with a different email address. I suggested we use PayPal Goods and Services (and he agreed, oddly enough) but when he sent me his PayPal address it was yet a third different email address. Anyway, keep an eye out for this guy.

Also, re: PayPal G&S, are you fully protected through that if you don't receive what you paid for? The fact that he was willing to go that route, had me wondering.
Old 07-06-2022, 05:35 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Just an idea- maybe we can create a sticky thread at the top of the main board where board members can inquire about people they come across on BST (looking for referrals/successful deals) and where people can list the names and handles of scammers…
Stickies can be done but I prefer not to have them.
Old 07-06-2022, 05:45 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhoff122 View Post
Another member mentioned Jack Corrigan as a suspicious actor further up on this thread. Well, Jack Corrigan responded to my post (WTB: 1985 Topps Tiffany set) a few days ago via email (not PM) simply with "How much are you willing to spend?" Interesting way to engage a potential buyer, I thought. I responded and we arrived at a price, which, not coincidentally, was the I said I'd be willing to pay. He probably would've agreed to any price I said. We went back and forth for a couple of days and the exchange got sketchier and sketchier. When I asked him for his Net54 ID he couldn't provide it b/c he "wasn't able to log in at that time." He sent me Venmo information with a different email address. I suggested we use PayPal Goods and Services (and he agreed, oddly enough) but when he sent me his PayPal address it was yet a third different email address. Anyway, keep an eye out for this guy.

Also, re: PayPal G&S, are you fully protected through that if you don't receive what you paid for? The fact that he was willing to go that route, had me wondering.
I am sure that person was a scammer. I do know that many of us on here use multiple email addresses. As an example just 2 days ago I done a deal with a member and both of us use our wifes Paypal. Then I know some that use both personal and work email addresses so just using multiple emails in itself is fairly common on here from my experiance.
Old 07-06-2022, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Stickies can be done but I prefer not to have them.
Obviously your call, just a suggestion. I have done a ton of deals with Net54 members, many of whom I met initially on the BST, and luckily I have never encountered a scammer. But it does seem there is a major uptick in nefarious activity and its likely now only a matter of time before I get catfished
Old 07-06-2022, 08:06 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Obviously your call, just a suggestion. I have done a ton of deals with Net54 members, many of whom I met initially on the BST, and luckily I have never encountered a scammer. But it does seem there is a major uptick in nefarious activity and its likely now only a matter of time before I get catfished
I've found it best to connect through PM first then move to email. I'd never put my email in a post. Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you have to be a member in good standing to PM another member?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 07-06-2022, 08:48 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
I've found it best to connect through PM first then move to email. I'd never put my email in a post. Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you have to be a member in good standing to PM another member?
Not sure if anything has changed in the last couple years. Had a long time friend join just to bid on a silly rare card I posted in the auction section. As soon as he joined but before Leon approved him he could PM but not post.

Last edited by bnorth; 07-06-2022 at 08:54 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-06-2022, 09:47 PM
Rocky Rockwell

Default Anyone know this guy?

Offered to sell me a PSA 5 1948 Topps Magic Photo Babe Ruth..... wanted to know "whats my budget" LOL ... just joined July 4th 2022 and has zero posts so far. I dont think this would exactly take Perry Mason to crack this case.... guys name on Net54 is Malikbyrd1477..... anyone have any info for me? Thanks... Rocky
Old 07-08-2022, 10:08 AM
Jay Cee

I posted in the BST yesterday and a few hours later I get a private email to me with a scan of what I’m looking for and asking me how much I’d offer. It was from the name John Gray. He is not a member and said a friend gave him my information. I asked what his friends name was he said he met him in the bar and didn’t know. He gave me a PP email address and I tried to send a regular goods and services payment for a 1.00 and PayPal said you have to click on the link to make the order direct on the merchants website….

Couple hours later I get another email now from Jack Corrigan. Basically same story and same kind of picture, but different card. He said he met someone in the park who gave him my email address.

These scammers know enough about cards to be able to send scans of what we are looking for. After I checked with Leon and realized it’s a scam I asked the first scammer if I could take off 500.00 from the 750.00 price as I had a duplicate of the card and he said yes no problem and when are you sending the money.

We definitely have a troll who has made a home here on the BST board.
Old 07-08-2022, 10:17 AM
Lonnie Nagel

As it appears that scammers are "comin out of the woodwork" - I suspect that we will need, at some point, a way to somehow vett potential new members.

Not sure if there is currently any vetting done at all - and I dont remember if I was vetted at all when I joined (but that was a long time ago)

Sad state of affairs these days -
Old 07-08-2022, 10:45 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanTown View Post

Couple hours later I get another email now from Jack Corrigan. Basically same story and same kind of picture, but different card. He said he met someone in the park who gave him my email address.
A very plausible scenario. Guy walks up to a stranger in a park and says:

"Say, I was on a website called Net54 and am looking for the email of a member called BeanTown. You wouldn't happen to have that, would you?"

And the stranger replies, "Sure, I carry it around wherever I go. Here it is..."
Old 07-08-2022, 11:25 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
A very plausible scenario. Guy walks up to a stranger in a park and says:

"Say, I was on a website called Net54 and am looking for the email of a member called BeanTown. You wouldn't happen to have that, would you?"

And the stranger replies, "Sure, I carry it around wherever I go. Here it is..."
-

Pssst, got any pre-war?...

-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 07-08-2022, 11:44 AM
Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
-

Pssst, got any pre-war?...

-
Lol Phil. I just spit out my water.

Chad
T215 Type 1 Red Cross Walter Johnson
1914 Texas Tommy Type 1 Walter Johnson
1923-24 Billiken Pop Lloyd
1924-25 Aguilitas #846 and #870 Pop Lloyd
1923-24 Billiken or Tomas Gutierrez Oliver "Ghost" Marcell
1923-24 Billiken or Tomas Gutierrez Dobie Moore
1924-25 Aguilitas #874 Dobie Moore
Old 07-08-2022, 11:56 AM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
Are there really people buying on BST without checking references?

I guess that's a rhetorical question because obviously there are.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Yeah my thoughts exactly. Not sure there is a card I want or that I want to sell so much that I would not take steps to vet the member. A fool and his money...
Old 07-08-2022, 02:56 PM
Vic Stanley

Default Scamming from Post

I placed a post about buying PSA graded football for resale. Got two emails offering me cards. I checked on ebay and they were listed under Starx Cards and Deans Cards. I think the guy was a crook. I got two emails from two different email address. Beware of the crooks
Old 07-08-2022, 03:02 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

BSTscammersmoose02.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 07-08-2022, 03:08 PM
John Wondowski

I got hit with one from Frank Thompson (sigh). “How much are you willing to pay?” Ugh. T216 Kotton
Old 07-08-2022, 03:19 PM
pete ullman

Well I was made whole by PayPal good thing i paid goods and services!!
Old 07-08-2022, 03:29 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Well I was made whole by PayPal good thing i paid goods and services!!
Great to hear, Pete.
Old 07-09-2022, 10:36 AM
Vic Stanley

Jack Corrigan (corriganjack804@gmail.com)

Frank Thompson (thompsonfrank237@gmail.com)

These are the two guy selling other peoples cards BEWARE

Last edited by vic; 07-09-2022 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-09-2022, 01:04 PM
Bob Andrews

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic View Post
Jack Corrigan (corriganjack804@gmail.com)

Frank Thompson (thompsonfrank237@gmail.com)

These are the two guy selling other peoples cards BEWARE

lastnamefirstnamethreedigits at gmail for both. I don’t believe in coincidences so I’d bet it’s the same halfwit at the other end of each address. If they’re too dumb to realize they send pics of the ‘same’ card with two different cert numbers, well…
Old 07-10-2022, 12:18 PM

Default Terminate email accounts?

We could contact the email providers of known scammers and have their accounts terminated. I know Google will do this with gmail accounts. Easy to do and might make it a bit painful to the scammer.
Old 07-10-2022, 12:26 PM
Jay Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlhss View Post
We could contact the email providers of known scammers and have their accounts terminated. I know Google will do this with gmail accounts. Easy to do and might make it a bit painful to the scammer.
Not sure how that works with Google. But I’m sure the scammers won’t mind me posting their email addresses since they aren’t members here and they are looking to sell

John Gray grayj8948@gmail.com. Their PP email was sales.scalmob@gmail.com

Jack Corrigan corriganjack804@gmail.com. Their PP email was 577270695@qq.com