NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 07-23-2022, 02:10 PM

Default Are graded cards the future of vintage?

Are graded cards the future of vintage? I ask this question because it seems like eBay and card shows are filled with them! Seems like Everyone is buying them!
I personally like raw cards. I like the feel and smell of them! But I must say graded vintage cards are starting to grow on me! If nothing else I feel for future resale value when we go to sell our collections (we all will have to some day) you can’t beat graded cards in regards to resale value (versus resale value of raw cards) what say you?
Old 07-23-2022, 06:46 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

If it’s about money, graded is still the big seller and the name of the game. Human nature being what it is, I doubt this changes, though what slab you need to maximize your dollar may well change.

If it’s about collecting, enjoy them however you like them.
Old 07-23-2022, 07:41 PM

Agree with you! I starting to shift my thinking that graded cards are here to stay. Too many younger collectors only want graded cards these days. One issue I see mostly on here is that not too many people think about that one day they (or their family) are going to have to deal with/sell their collection one day. Collecting what you want TODAY is great for us but I think for our families/friends ,graded will reap the greatest reward for whoever is selling our collections in 20, 30, 40,50 years! An example is: if you have a Nolan Ryan topps rookie card that is raw and the save exact card that is graded (same conditions) which one do you think will have better resale value? What I enjoy collecting today? (Which are raw cards) or the graded version? Food for thought.
Old 07-23-2022, 07:48 PM

I see graded cards not so much as the future but as the already existing present. As much as I enjoy raw cards, I don't think I would pay a lot of money for one at this point. The most recent cards I've purchased have all been PSA graded. As already mentioned, the resale value makes it a no-brainer, for better or worse.
Old 07-23-2022, 08:08 PM

Very good points! I think alot of us old farts (myself included) that didn’t dump our raw cards before the graded card craze will be left holding the bag! Probably why not too many people are responding to this thread because a ton of people are heavily invested deep in raw cards and now it’s obvious graded cards are king. I’m thinking the smart move here is too quietly sell off raw cards (get what you can get for them) and repurchase/rebuild with graded vintage cards!
Old 07-23-2022, 10:19 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerunhitter View Post
Very good points! I think alot of us old farts (myself included) that didn’t dump our raw cards before the graded card craze will be left holding the bag! Probably why not too many people are responding to this thread because a ton of people are heavily invested deep in raw cards and now it’s obvious graded cards are king. I’m thinking the smart move here is too quietly sell off raw cards (get what you can get for them) and repurchase/rebuild with graded vintage cards!
Why not get your vintage cards graded then?
Old 07-24-2022, 12:39 AM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

I actually find it far easier to sell anything except major stars raw. Primarily talking about Topps sets of the 50s/60s. Say a '61 maris PSA 4 goes for $100. If I get a nice Ex raw copy I can sell it for $90 all day and sometimes even more than a similar card that is graded.
So many people are building sets and so many cards are being graded I think it's annoying for set builders trying to find cards that fit their sets that should be in the $10-20 range just sitting on eBay in a psa 3 listed for $30 not moving. I know it is very annoying for me sometimes. Look at Greg Morris and this becomes very apparent how many people are looking for nice raw cards for their sets.
Not to mention the time it takes to sell. When I post a graded card it usually will take minimum, a day to sell. A nice raw copy equivalent can sell in minutes priced only 5%-10% less.
If I was a dealer I would absolutely be dealing in raw cards. Sure you can get 10% more graded, but turning over cards almost as fast as you get them certainly makes up for it to me.
Just my thoughts and opinion.

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale

Last edited by Lucas00; 07-24-2022 at 12:41 AM.
Old 07-24-2022, 06:12 AM
J@son Per1

I like graded cards and raw cards. I collect both. Most graded cards should not actually have been graded in the first place. And that trend has only gotten worse. Although I guess the higher prices to grade cards might keep some of the rifraf out. It’s hard not to chuckle when I see a freshly graded 73 topps star in a 3 or a 4. And don’t even get me started on modern.
Old 07-24-2022, 10:57 AM

After reading the comments above I wonder since so many vintage cards are now being graded, if raw cards one day will be more scarce and in turn more valuable than graded cards? Good discussion guys. Lots of great points being made!
Old 07-24-2022, 11:08 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Raw will never be worth more. If it was, everybody would start cracking like slabs I do and it wouldn't last more than a week.

Too many little ego's need the validation and bragging rights that graded brings.

More seriously, even if one only cares about $$, I don't see it as worthwhile to get ones cards graded until it's time to sell. If you're planning to divest in 10/20/30/40/50 years, it's not worth it. We don't know what slab you'll need then, and there's already a price gap depending on when the card was graded and what generation slab it is. In 20 years the hobby may well be using some new grader that uses a computer algorithm, and will consider PSA 2022 slabs to be junk from a horribly corrupt and outdated process. Save the cash unless one plans to sell soon.
Old 07-24-2022, 11:17 AM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Raw will never be worth more. If it was, everybody would start cracking like slabs I do and it wouldn't last more than a week.

Too many little ego's need the validation and bragging rights that graded brings.

More seriously, even if one only cares about $$, I don't see it as worthwhile to get ones cards graded until it's time to sell. If you're planning to divest in 10/20/30/40/50 years, it's not worth it. We don't know what slab you'll need then, and there's already a price gap depending on when the card was graded and what generation slab it is. In 20 years the hobby may well be using some new grader that uses a computer algorithm, and will consider PSA 2022 slabs to be junk from a horribly corrupt and outdated process. Save the cash unless one plans to sell soon.
Yeah, I don't think it makes economic sense to get something slabbed until you want to sell it. Too many people care too much about the look of the flips. In 10 years, today's flips may not be in style.

And I don't buy that it is necessary to slab something in order to preserve it. Acid-free sleeves and holders seem to do just fine.

Last edited by cgjackson222; 07-24-2022 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-24-2022, 02:37 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
After reading the comments above I wonder since so many vintage cards are now being graded, if raw cards one day will be more scarce and in turn more valuable than graded cards? Good discussion guys. Lots of great points being made!
You do know that anyone can simply break a card out of its' graded holder, right? So why would anyone pay more for a raw card when they could then buy a cheaper graded card, and just remove it from the holder?
Old 07-24-2022, 02:55 PM

We here on this site are smart, educated and the very best in the hobby. But there are a lot of people in this hobby that well let’s just say….their cornbread ain’t done in the middle!
Old 07-26-2022, 10:00 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Are graded cards the future of vintage?
I don't predict the future. But graded cards are very much the present, and past of a large sector of the vintage hobby. They've been quite the rage for about 20 years now.

Last edited by jchcollins; 07-26-2022 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-26-2022, 11:52 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
I don't predict the future. But graded cards are very much the present, and past of a large sector of the vintage hobby. They've been quite the rage for about 20 years now.
+1 Don't see them going away anytime soon.
Old 07-27-2022, 10:45 AM
dA.N CH@SE

There are so many new people getting involved in vintage for investing and diversifying their portfolio in trading cards. To me it is absolutely silly to treat a piece of cardboard as an investment, when this is a hobby. The new people entering the hobby have no idea what they are doing and think that the majority of vintage cards are fake. Selling cards is a lot easier graded and when grading prices drop in 2023, more and more vintage will be slabbed. I like graded cards for my PC, but certain cards I don't want slabbed. My 1951 Topps Blue/Red backs I am working on raw, and it will stay that way. I want 1950's and 60's HOF players graded, and have used CSG at $10.80 a card to slab a bunch of cards in great shape or great eye-appeal. For example I bought a 1962 Topps Nellie Fox off of COMC and the card was a stunner. I got a CSG 8.5 and it was worth grading. I have a bunch of vintage HOF's in 1 to 5 shape, but they won't be graded. However, I will grade an early Topps card in 3/4 shape if it has perfect centering and a decent surface.

For people with raw collections, it will be a nightmare for you the next few years. More and more vintage will be graded and less raw will be available. I even bought a 1951 Red Back for cheap slabbed and cracked it out.
Old 07-27-2022, 11:41 PM

Reading the posts above, I wonder if now is the time to sell raw vintage cards because more people are now buying raw vintage cards to grade?
Old 07-28-2022, 12:01 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

It will be a lot cheaper and easier to just submit yours if you want them with a pretty little slip. Selling all your raw cards and taking the huge tax hit, then buying everything over again in a slab will prove far more costly in the end. If you want to hop on the bandwagon, hop on it.
Old 08-01-2022, 02:19 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

Will always prefer raw to slabs but imagined if I ever threw down huge money for a card I would need to buy graded to avoid buying a fake. Thankfully the new eBay authentication puts me back to where I can buy raw very comfortably and have no need for graded/slabbed.

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 08-01-2022, 05:05 PM

I would say they both have a place tbh

I’m a PSA guy but would prefer raw to be honest, just like those pretty little slabs
Old 08-02-2022, 07:36 PM
Tom S

I respect both views on graded vs raw.

A few years back somebody on this forum used the term "Free Range Cardboard" for raw cards. This is where I am at.

After attending the National this past week and watching many collectors fill their want lists, ungraded is alive and well.

When time comes to make a big ticket purchase to complete one of my sets (I'm thinking of you Mr 1967 Seaver) I may go the graded route.

I am a set collector who loves his binders. When the time comes for me to pass on, swim with the fishes, go to the Horizontal Hilton do the lawn limbo my family will have instructions on how to dispose of my sets probably consignment to a AH like Huggins and Scott, an AH that caters to the average collector because that is basically what I am, Mr average.
Old 08-02-2022, 07:40 PM

That’s good to hear because all the YouTube, Facebook and Instagram posts I’m seeing coming about about the national skies graded cards everywhere!!! Seems like everyone at the show was carrying a pelican case of graded cards around!!!
Old 08-02-2022, 09:05 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I want one of the pelican case back packs. Those looked pretty cool.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 04-20-2023, 08:27 AM
Ne@l K

Grade the big guns and leave everything else raw - no binders, card savers preferred

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 04-20-2023, 11:18 AM
James M.

I prefer Raw, to slabbed, but with the way vintage is heading, and the never ending climb upwards, I might have to slab some of my loose high dollar cards. Just in case anything catastrophic would happen.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 12-24-2023, 02:09 AM

Yes, graded cards are the future of vintage, at least the worthy HOF cards. It will become harder and harder to find raw vintage HOF cards in the future, especially pre-war vintage.
Old 12-25-2023, 10:29 AM
Al Richter

Guess I better hold on to mine then
Old 01-05-2024, 09:29 PM
Elliot

Default graded cards - pro or con

I personally liked raw cards and that's all I ever collected. However the sad fact is buyers pay a decent premium for a graded card. Since a majority of cards are bought on the internet, graded cards become important because you cant hold and see them in person PLUS sellers can color enhance cards. Now I would NEVER buy pre-war cards or strips ungraded - they are counterfeited often and there are WAY more variations compared to 60s Topps cards and inserts. Also with pre-war cards, especially strips, they are often flimsy and tobacco cards can be brittle so having them encased protects them. They are so expensive - encasing them works for me.

Now my biggest gripe of them all is the inconsistency of all grading companies - furthermore compare, PSA and SGC. Take the same card that would grade ex/mt but has a modest mark on the back. PSA would grade it Ex/Mt 6 (MK) while SGC would grade the card Vg/Ex+ 4.5.... My last gripe especially with pre-war strips - a card graded A could be a pitiful looking card OR a card that was cut a millimeter short but has amazing eye appeal. Same goes for Poor 1 - I have seen cards graded 1 that look pretty good but a modest crease or 2 and some paper loss with rounded corners and others that are hard to look at without cringing. Expand the lower grades - Do we need 5 grades with the word mint in it. Ex/Mt 6 to Gem Mt 10 -

MY VENTING IS OVER -

Last edited by ANOMALY; 01-05-2024 at 09:35 PM.